Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graduate Opportunities in Local Government 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Sazzie13 wrote: »
    How did the interview go?

Ran for about 40 minutes. Felt at ease.

Know what LEOs do. They have a website that summarises their activities. It shows initiative if you can reference or name-drop some important material.

Know a bit about your local Council, what services they provide and metrics they track. Possibly they have a website where the Chief Executive delivers a monthly report or performance dashboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ver2

Hi,
    Thanks for the feedback.
    Do they ask about the 6 skill sets? I only put 1 or 2 down on my form. Really wish it hadn't been rescheduled, would love it to be over!!

ver2 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Thanks for the feedback.
    Do they ask about the 6 skill sets? I only put 1 or 2 down on my form. Really wish it hadn't been rescheduled, would love it to be over!!

They will only ask what you applied for.

Hence you will probably be asked about the four competencies (relevant to every candidate).... and then your two specific listed skill sets.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Mac0783

Hi,

Does anyone know how long the interviews are running for or when we can expect to hear the results?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Sharon2017

Mac0783 wrote: »
    Hi,

Does anyone know how long the interviews are running for or when we can expect to hear the results?

I don't know how long interviews are running until but I was told not to expect an update before the 4 week mark. Such a long time!

• Advertisement

As it's a fixed graduate programme with some external training involved, I wonder if we'll all be asked to start on the same date.

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    As it's a fixed graduate programme with some external training involved, I wonder if we'll all be asked to start on the same date.

According to my research, this is what happened the last time they did a LG campaign in 2014. People were sent up somewhere (Dublin or nearby if I recall) for training.

Sharon2017 wrote: »
    According to my research, this is what happened the last time they did a LG campaign in 2014. People were sent up somewhere (Dublin or nearby if I recall) for training.

Hopefully not in the middle of holiday season when people might have already booked a trip abroad

Found this article about the last batch in 2015 for the 2014 campaign:

https://www.publicjobs.ie/publicjobs/publication/document/Local_Gov_Update.pdf

It indicates that were 3 days of training for all hires nationally in Croke Park and that around 120 people were hired

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Mac0783

I'd love to know what grade this is pitched at, I asked in the interview but got nowhere, in hindsight I should have asked, who would one report to? Might have given me some idea

• Advertisement

Good luck to everyone!

Have all the postponed snow interviews happened yet? Or is the process still ongoing?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

How can applicants not know what position they're applying for?
    It's bizarre.

Addle wrote: »
    How can applicants not know what position they're applying for?
    It's bizarre.

It's down to the initial online offer back in October.

It was phrased as 'Administrative Officer' in the material in a few places.

Now there's a sense that it's the equivalent of Administrative Officer in the Civil Service.... and not Administrative Officer in Local Government. There's a big gap in the scale.

I don't think anyone has received an official answer to date

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Phoebeleft

Good luck to everyone!

Have all the postponed snow interviews happened yet? Or is the process still ongoing?

Mine was rescheduled from Wed 28th Feb - new date Monday 26th March.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭tgdaly

Phoebeleft wrote: »
    Mine was rescheduled from Wed 28th Feb - new date Monday 26th March.
    And I'm on Tuesday 27th rescheduled from the Thursday. I guess they're doing the original Friday interviews on Wednesday 28th then as well. And we'll hopefully hear back before the end of April on the outcome?

Just an Fyi - if any of you get a message from PAS don't have a heart attack as it has nothing to do with results!

They just messaged asking me to fill out a preference form for the region I hadn't chosen out of the 3 (western and border). They must want to give everyone who wants to the chance to pick from all regions if they want to. Presume I'm not the only one who got this?

Just an Fyi - if any of you get a message from PAS don't have a heart attack as it has nothing to do with results!

They just messaged asking me to fill out a preference form for the region I hadn't chosen out of the 3 (western and border). They must want to give everyone who wants to the chance to pick from all regions if they want to. Presume I'm not the only one who got this?

I didn't get an email, but I'd expect it would have to be a focused personal email, instead of a bulk email.... so people might get it at different times.

Oh I hope its not some error that has put me down for the wrong regions or something!

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭daithi84

It's down to the initial online offer back in October.

It was phrased as 'Administrative Officer' in the material in a few places.

Now there's a sense that it's the equivalent of Administrative Officer in the Civil Service.... and not Administrative Officer in Local Government. There's a big gap in the scale.

I don't think anyone has received an official answer to date

Graduate jobs in the Local Authorities are Grade 4 as far as im aware, so Assistant Staff Officer pay scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭shineon23

Oh I hope its not some error that has put me down for the wrong regions or something!

I got this email for same region

But it was one of the regions I had already made preferences for previously.

Also had a mild heart attack :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 lukiluc

I got that email too, heart in mouth time. Realistically i think it'll be another couple of weeks til we hear back...

Yeah if interviews are still going on as far as next week I think we can count on it being a few weeks away from any news! :(

I wonder if there was low interest in the border counties to say we're all now being given the option (having not selected it in the first place).

• Registered Users Posts: 33 lukiluc

I don't think so. I think they just sent that out to all instead of trawling through to find people who expressed an interest in that region- to inform them of the changes. I did not, nor would I, express an interest in working there, I have to stay reasonably local...

Hey guys, in relation to the job interview and the 4 competencies, what kind of questions are they asking?

- Purpose and Change
    - Delivering Results
    - Personal Performance
    - Personal Effectiveness

When they say purpose and change, what do they actually mean?

tgdaly wrote: »
    Hey guys, in relation to the job interview and the 4 competencies, what kind of questions are they asking?

- Purpose and Change
    - Delivering Results
    - Personal Performance
    - Personal Effectiveness

When they say purpose and change, what do they actually mean?

It's covered in Appendix I of the booklet. In practical terms..

'Purpose' covers your understanding of what Local Government is all about, ie delivering services to the general public, stimulating economic growth and enterprise, analysing policy issues.

Be aware of the services on offer in your area - like the LEO, Roads and Travel, Housing, Parks and Recreation, etc. Your local council's website will be very useful and split by section.

'Change' is about how you understand change that has occurred and will occur in the Council. The Local Government Reform Act of 2014 amalgamated a lot of councils to streamline them. Google should give you an insight. It's all about working smarter and 'doing more with less'. Maybe you've seen some smart changes in your local area. Try bring in examples of change programmes you have been involved in... where the journey started ('as is') and where you wanted to get to ( 'to be'). It's all about having a vision and a plan.... and keeping stakeholders informed every step of the way.

The rest of them are about decision-making, delivering results, teamwork, organisational skills, communication skills, tricky people you've worked with, resilience, etc.

It's covered in Appendix I of the booklet. In practical terms..

'Purpose' covers your understanding of what Local Government is all about, ie delivering services to the general public, stimulating economic growth and enterprise, analysing policy issues.

Be aware of the services on offer in your area - like the LEO, Roads and Travel, Housing, Parks and Recreation, etc. Your local council's website will be very useful and split by section.

'Change' is about how you understand change that has occurred and will occur in the Council. The Local Government Reform Act of 2014 amalgamated a lot of councils to streamline them. Google should give you an insight. It's all about working smarter and 'doing more with less'. Maybe you've seen some smart changes in your local area. Try bring in examples of change programmes you have been involved in... where the journey started ('as is') and where you wanted to get to ( 'to be'). It's all about having a vision and a plan.... and keeping stakeholders informed every step of the way.

The rest of them are about decision-making, delivering results, teamwork, organisational skills, communication skills, tricky people you've worked with, resilience, etc.

Brilliant, thanks a mil! That's extremely helpful :)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 neilie22

I got a reply from PAS re. the timing of results due to the delayed interviews and they reckon that results will issues around mid-April.

neilie22 wrote: »
    I got a reply from PAS re. the timing of results due to the delayed interviews and they reckon that results will issues around mid-April.

This is what I've been advised also. Its a bit of a torturous wait for me and I'm sure I'm not alone in that! I just hope its not delayed further beyond this as I don't think I could cope with waiting beyond the 2 month mark :eek::eek::eek:

I've my interview tomorrow.There seems to be a lot of info online about the council.It's quite overwhelming even though I began my preparation a while ago.There is a panel of 4 interviewers. I know they've given us 4 competencies.Do you have to have prepared examples for everything?What questions did people who've done the interview find tricky?

• Advertisement

I've my interview tomorrow.There seems to be a lot of info online about the council.It's quite overwhelming even though I began my preparation a while ago.There is a panel of 4 interviewers. I know they've given us 4 competencies.Do you have to have prepared examples for everything?What questions did people who've done the interview find tricky?

I think they're looking for people to prove the following:

o That they've done their basic homework on hot topics - e.g. Ireland 2040 National Planning Framework, Local Government Reform Act 2014, Local Enterprise Office, the structure of their own local council, HAP etc. 'Name-dropping' proves that you've done research. Just back it up with some basic facts.

o Using worked examples from your own life, to prove that the candidate understands the competencies...... how change works... planning for change.... how they've worked to tough deadlines, how they have delivered results, how they maintain high standards always, how they've worked as part of a team or on a solo assignment, doing the right thing in an ethical dilemma, overcoming adversity by showing resilience, etc.

You'll always get the interview curve balls about working with difficult people, bringing people around to your point of view, communication styles, management style.

Most importantly.... be yourself... and answer the question they asked (listen carefully)..... bring up awards and recognitions that you won.

Advertisement