Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2018 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Beautiful warm day in dublin. 25 degrees at 4pm at Phoenix Park met station

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Lovely here all day in Wexford, feel kinda guilty now for coming inside and watching football.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Reached a high of 25.8C there a little while ago. It was mostly sunny but has since clouded up and it's mostly cloudy now. It's 25.0C now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Grand day here, sunny, warm, breezy and the grass has been cut

• Registered Users Posts: 33,740 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

26C here in Kilkenny like neighbouring Carlow reported at Oak Park.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

High of 27.3°C at Ashford, Wicklow. Was not expecting that. Very nice to feel the heat again. Think ME forecast highs of 23°C.

Actually just reading the stats on wicklowweather.com on today's high was the highest of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭harr

Turned into a fantastic day here in kildare..25c at 4pm ..definitely a bonus after the last couple of weeks of rain and the rain promised.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,101 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

5pm met reports.... Oak Park 26 degrees

• Registered Users Posts: 13,539 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

5pm met reports.... Oak Park 26 degrees

Oak Park - 26.1
    Dublin Apt - 24.6
    Casement Aerodrome - 24.4
    Gurteen - 23.7
    Shannon Apt - 22.9
    Mullingar - 21.6
    Cork Apt - 21.5

Kilkenny Weather at 25.5c.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Was up in Belfast today. Had aircon on in the car and just arrived back (in Dublin). Was like stepping out into holidays! Warm and humid. 25.2c in Dublin 16.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

HighLine wrote: »
    High of 27.3°C at Ashford, Wicklow. Was not expecting that. Very nice to feel the heat again. Think ME forecast highs of 23°C.

Actually just reading the stats on wicklowweather.com on today's high was the highest of the year.

Yes me a yearly high also - 26.2c in Wicklow town.
    ME had high of 25c

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Very foggy around coastal west cork now and still misting. Drove around a lot of west cork today (Bantry, glengarrif, dunmanyway, drimoleague etc) and misting most of the way and fog for parts of it.

Wind hasn’t picked up here yet anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

The rain has arrived in Castlebar, temperature has dropped down to 17.2C.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,072 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

after 6 but I'm recording my highest of the day! 24.7c.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Balls of and a day on the south east coast, sun came out for a bit but heat was drowned out by a strong south westerly. Misty and foggy since 5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Mostly cloudy but still 24.6C in Glasnevin.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,172 ✭✭✭✭km79

So dark so early again

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Loud heavy deluge here since just after 6 pm and no sign of abating.

West Mayo; offshore island

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭alentejo

Tis a lovely evening here in Dublin. 21c in the back garden

• Registered Users Posts: 23,571 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Me right now

dab1aad1617dd77937496c3e9aab54ea.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Pretty much on time as forecasted, constant peeing down here in south sligo since around 8pm ... the ducks will be happy. - I predict the hosepipe ban will be lifted well before the 31st of august now :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

was in Dublin for most of the day, reached 25C and was very warm. Back in Dunshaughlin now and it's a very wet night here, still warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

A quiet, mild, moist, midgy Mayo morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Pretty much on time as forecasted, constant peeing down here in south sligo since around 8pm ... the ducks will be happy. - I predict the hosepipe ban will be lifted well before the 31st of august now :)

Come down to our neck of the woods in the SE. Rain has been negligible here with an hour here and there over the last couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭OldRio

We've had rain for the last three days in Leitrim. Raining for a fourth this Sunday. Yet still warm. The ground is getting rather sticky and muddy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Come down to our neck of the woods in the SE. Rain has been negligible here with an hour here and there over the last couple of months.

I just looked at the ME forecast for today.
    Mostly cloudy and misty to begin today with patchy rain and drizzle, but gradually brightening up from the west, with sunny breaks developing. Humid with top temperatures 21 to 24 degrees, warmest in the southeast. Light to moderate westerly winds will become mainly light and variable later today.

There is nothing but light fluffy clouds and sunshine above me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭highdef

Fohn effect is place in the Costa Del Wicklow. Looks like smashing weather there this morning and I would expect it'll be a beut of a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,539 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

It has come to the time you all have been waiting for. It's been a while coming with the many analogues we've looked at for Autumn 2018 but here we are, this post is going to be revealing the preliminary analogues for Autumn 2018. These are the analogues where we combine all the analogues we've done this season together and find the years which cropped up most. In order for a year to qualify, it must appear at least 5 times in the analogues to be considered an "important year" for Autumn 2018. The more times the year appears doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be the most similar to the season thus why I consider this criteria to be good. The Summer 2018 preliminary analogues have worked out extremely well and I'm really happy with them especially as they're the hardest ones I've worked on so far, I'm hoping my Autumn ones fare similar performance.

The years to appear the most in our preliminary analogues for Autumn 2018 were 1887, 1911, 1913, 1925, 1947, 1975, 1976, 1979, 1983, 1984, 1989, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2003, 2006, 2009, 2010 and 2012. There is a variety of Autumns in here from the really cold season of 1887 to the record breaking warm Autumn of 2006. However, we will see the general theme of the Autumn in the 500mb height anomaly reanalysis charts containing all these years.

The Autumns overall look unsettled with a westerly regime taking hold but there lies the chance of some colder weather as above average heights sit over Greenland which would push cold air into the below average heights over the UK and Ireland.

df4d06_7ae8dbfd0b4647c18eeef54dff143ddc~mv2.png

The Septembers look very cool and unsettled with above average heights in the Atlantic and below average heights to the south and east of the UK. The mean wind direction is a north to northeasterly. 1995 is in the analogue and this reanalysis draws very similar comparisons to that month which was cool and very wet to the east of the UK whilst it was drier, sunnier with close to average temperatures over Ireland and the west of the UK.

df4d06_ba0af48c3a8f4ba2a55625566b26317e~mv2.png

The Octobers look very anticyclonic and quiet with above average heights over the Arctic Circle, Greenland and over us with below average heights over Scandinavia. We're on the periphery of a very cold northerly blast as the cold is going into Scandinavia so the signal is just quiet, settled and temperatures would be close to average or relatively above average but the main thing would be the dry nature of the month.

df4d06_7952906bc13f4ef789a6df7b1cedf4c0~mv2.png

The Novembers look exceptionally wet, stormy and mild with deep below average heights right over top of the UK and Ireland. There are above average heights over Greenland but the trough is too far north to be delivering cold weather and not to mention, there are above average heights over the southeast of Europe which is not supportive of cold weather.

df4d06_9aa364bcff7445db82bc6dbff8e6fd1b~mv2.png

Overall, a very mixed Autumn but reminds me of Autumn 1995 a lot in how it evolves, a cool and unsettled September, an anticyclonic and mild October whilst a mild and wet November. Would be interesting to see if this came off.

I know I said I was going to do Autumns that followed on from Julys with a QBO of -20 or less yesterday but I forgot with all the talk of Ernesto and since I planned for the preliminary analogues to be released Sunday, I thought of going forward with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Total rainfall at Phoenix Park in dublin from 1st May -18th August of 75mm.

75mm of rain in nearly a 4 month period, just unbelievable. Every chance that dublin could experience less than 700mm in a calendar year for two years running. Dublin airport had only 660mm in 2017

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

disappointing day here, murky with spits of drizzle all morning, no sign of any sun. Temperature 19C.

Advertisement