Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2018 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

after a dry and warm early morning, today turned out to be very wet, pools of water everywhere. Probably the wettest day in about 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Artane2002

esposito wrote: »
    Got absolutely soaked during that torrential downpour in Dublin. Of course still no thunder or lightning ��

I was also soaked. Thankfully I was near home. I've nearly had my fix of thunderstorms for the year, I've seen around 10-15 when I was on holidays. I still want thundersnow though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭appledrop

Artane2002 wrote: »
    I was also soaked. Thankfully I was near home. I've nearly had my fix of thunderstorms for the year, I've seen around 10-15 when I was on holidays. I still want thundersnow though :pac:

The thunderstorms on holidays in Lake Garda were unreal. We could see the lighting coming across the mountains + knew from previous experience that when they come in about 30 secs they are torrential. We ran back to hotel but still got caught. Soaked to skin on 1 min. Unreal to watch though. Last a few hours in night time but back to beautiful weather then next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭km79

km79 wrote: »
    Bright and breeezy
    Much much better than yesterday
    Went downhill fast around 3pm
    So dark since 6pm
    Like a winters evening

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Finally, some decent rain for a change.
    Still nothing in KK :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,096 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Front has passed through here now in Castlebar just in time for a watery sunset. Fresher, 12 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Dark breezy evening here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭acequion

Just came back from Canada yesterday morning. Came into Dublin airport at 10am and then travelled by car from Dublin to Kerry.

So got a birds eye day time view of the country from East to South West and it's just staggering how much the weather has changed in 18 days!

When I left at the end of July it was summer. Days were still long and everyone was comfortably dressed in light summer clothes.

Now it's like Autumn has well advanced over the entire country. The evenings have shortened considerably, the sandals have been replaced by runners and the sleeveless tops by fleeces. And it's still only mid August!

Sryanbruen was totally spot on in his forecast for August!

So is that it now for summer 2018??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Artane2002

acequion wrote: »
    Just came back from Canada yesterday morning. Came into Dublin airport at 10am and then travelled by car from Dublin to Kerry.

So got a birds eye day time view of the country from East to South West and it's just staggering how much the weather has changed in 18 days!

When I left at the end of July it was summer. Days were still long and everyone was comfortably dressed in light summer clothes.

Now it's like Autumn has well advanced over the entire country. The evenings have shortened considerably, the sandals have been replaced by runners and the sleeveless tops by fleeces. And it's still only mid August!

Sryanbruen was totally spot on in his forecast for August!

So is that it now for summer 2018??

There's some signs of improvement but nothing on par with June or July. There's some beautiful charts at around 10 days time but that's too far out. For some reason, the weather is almost always nice on my birthday (on the 26th)! Let's hope it stays that way this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

im hating this so called 'summer' we are having at the moment ... i feel it will morph into autumn soon and then we are in winter - bloody rain!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Was in Donegal for the past two weeks and it was fairly miserable throughout, the odd good day here and there but grey and cool with frequent rain & showers was the theme. Not much better today in Kildare, heavy misty rain blowing horizontally all evening

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭acequion

Artane2002 wrote: »
    There's some signs of improvement but nothing on par with June or July. There's some beautiful charts at around 10 days time but that's too far out. For some reason, the weather is almost always nice on my birthday (on the 26th)! Let's hope it stays that way this year.

Hey thanks for that glimmer of hope and indeed it kind of figures. We very often get it lovely in September.

And your dates are spot on because it usually doesn't get nice until just after my birthday on the 23rd.:)

So hoping for a happy birthday for us both.:D

Horrendous morning
    A steady train of really heavy showers which shows no sign of relenting

im hating this so called 'summer' we are having at the moment ... i feel it will morph into autumn soon and then we are in winter - bloody rain!

It's been autmnal here for over a week

But at least it's not too sunny so a lot of people have hit their prayers answered
    Silly sun in summer. Sure who wants that .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

km79 wrote: »
    Silly sun in summer. Sure who wants that .

When vegetation is dying off on a scale that can be observed from satellite it's probably past the point of people's personal preferences and into a realm of objectively being too much sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

It's a lovely clear and mostly sunny morning here in Glasnevin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Always thought May was more of a summer month than August. Best weather around these parts is in May and June and maybe early July. August consistently is a let down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Very windy in cork city (wasn’t expecting that) with cloud coming and going. No rain yet.

Edit: just as I post this it starts raining lol

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Great day around Ballinskelligs today. A few showers and breezy but warm enough in short sleeves. Noticed quite hazy , wondering could it be caused by the smoke making it's way over from the US ?

2Cx09MW.jpg?1

https://twitter.com/CopernicusEU/status/1029990325744545792

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭appledrop

Bit chilly in Dublin today followed by torriental downpours later in afternoon. Travelled from n11 to m1 northbound + was like the downpour was following me the whole way home! Would clear one area then start again. Dry now again.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

some very heavy showers here again today, plenty of downpours over the past 2 days.

might get one final chance to use the BBQ this Saturday afternoon, then I reckon i'll be putting it into storage for another year. After a warm weekend, next week is starting to look very cool with temperatures that would't look out of place in late September/ early October.

Hopefully things will change between now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭White Clover

Would really like a fine week. I'm farming in the southwest and we need a dry September and October to shorten our winter. What are the chances?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

is it something to be concerned about?

tropical storm? or worse ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

fryup wrote: »

The mirror!

Jesus what a depressing evening again.
    Can't believe it's only mid August
    Honestly felt like October

Are we allowed pray for sunshine again yet ? Plants need that to grow too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Fairly chilly but dry here this evening, after a couple of hefty showers during the day, and the good news is tomorrow looks crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

fryup wrote: »

Not really though there is uncertainty surrounding around the rainfall totals and wind speeds. Meteorite58 has posted what the latest models show in regards to the remnants of Ernesto in the charts thread here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057883559&page=7

Also, I post my thoughts in the daily forecast in the morning (M.T.'s thread) in regards to what I think is likely or what the models then show: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055579971&page=331

So all in all, nothing really to totally worry or be concerned about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

wild, wet, windy morning out here in the wild west... South westerly so am very glad the shopping got out here yesterday ..autumnal indeed, and that is grand too in its way

West Mayo, offshore island

Advertisement