Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2018 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,063 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Oh yeah. I mean we never ever get snowy/cold weather in Feb/Mar in this country do we?
    1. I'm not talking about March.
    2. I've seen snow on Feb 28th but I can't remember the last cold Feb? There was a brief snap in 2009 I think? Feb 1991 had snowfall but most of the month was mild. The last REALLY cold Feb was 32 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Artane2002

1. I'm not talking about March.
    2. I've seen snow on Feb 28th but I can't remember the last cold Feb? There was a brief snap in 2009 I think? Feb 1991 had snowfall but most of the month was mild. The last REALLY cold Feb was 32 years ago.

February 2018 was colder than average if that counts for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Colder than average Februaries have occurred in 2018, 2016 (for Ireland at least), 2015, 2013, 2010, 1996, 1994, 1991 and 1986. 2016 was down to frost and the cold, sunny last week. 2015 was down to frost and the cold, sunny first half. 2013 was largely cooler than average during much of the month but not exceptionally so at all, quite forgettable cold. 2010 was similar to 2013 with light snow showers at times. 1996 was very wet but cold. 1994 was very wet and cold too but snowy at times. 1991 was a cold first half, mild second half but not mild enough to make it a milder than average month. 1986 was very cold throughout with persistent blocking and easterlies.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭km79

I didn't even need sun this morning
    All I needed was the grass to be dry
    2 hours cutting and having to collect and dump wet grass was not fun
    The
    Form
    Is
    Not
    Good

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

km79 wrote: »
    I didn't even need sun this morning
    All I needed was the grass to be dry
    2 hours cutting and having to collect and dump wet grass was not fun
    The
    Form
    Is
    Not
    Good

Well at least you had been getting enough rainfall to allow enough grass growth to warrant cutting it. Not all of us have been that fortunate this summer.

• Advertisement

Well at least you had been getting enough rainfall to allow enough grass growth to warrant cutting it. Not all of us have been that fortunate this summer.

Week of rain with a couple hours sunshine Monday and Friday
    I'll glady swap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

A fine morning of moaning and bickering in this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

• Registered Users Posts: 18,132 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

16.8c in West Clare today at 2pm. I expected a bit higher than that now in all honesty.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

JCX BXC wrote: »
    16.8c in West Clare today at 2pm. I expected a bit higher than that now in all honesty.

Yeah, just 17.6C here near Tralee, NW wind has kicked in, at least the Humidity is a bit lower today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

21C but feeling very warm indeed in the sun.

Gonzo wrote: »
    I've experienced several days of 40C+ in my lifetime in Southern Spain and to be honest it's not a big deal unless your clueless and don't put sun-cream on and drink water, eat, relax and dip in the pool or sea. It's all very manageable unless you go out of the way to not take precautions.

Anyone who is thinking of spending from 9am to 8pm on a Portuguese beach this weekend without taking breaks or dipping themselves in the sea and taking precautions is just asking for trouble.

3 deaths as a result of the extreme heat reported today.

http://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/weather/europe-heatwave-claims-three-lives-in-spain-with-parts-of-continent-set-for-record-temperatures-of-47c/ar-BBLtC8a?li=BBr5KbJ

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

The graphic forecast on met.ie is showing 27C with clear skies for right now, in reality it's 19C and cloudy. I know it's fairly useless most of the time but how can it be that far off??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

It's partly cloudy here in Glasnevin with a lot of sunshine and 21.8C, after an earlier high of 22.4C.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

Blue Skies and 22º in the Costa Del Bray again. Yeah...I said it! Whatcha gonna do about it!! ;);)

Calibos wrote: »
    Blue Skies and 22º in the Costa Del Bray again. Yeah...I said it! Whatcha gonna do about it!! ;);)

Cry

Grey here. Grey nothingness

• Registered Users Posts: 16,107 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

So sad to read that . People forget that the normal population have to continue to live and work . Its all very fine for some saying a dip in the pool or sea will make it bearable . Many Portugese live in cities in apartment blocks , they work and care for elderly or disabled children . They have to get to work and keep street clean and drive buses and collect rubbish . At 40 degrees this is not at all easy .
    I was in Vienna three years ago in a heatwave and the couriers on buses were pouring water over their heads and wetting caps to try to keep cool .

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    So sad to read that . People forget that the normal population have to continue to live and work . Its all very fine for some saying a dip in the pool or sea will make it bearable . Many Portugese live in cities in apartment blocks , they work and care for elderly or disabled children . They have to get to work and keep street clean and drive buses and collect rubbish . At 40 degrees this is not at all easy .

The deaths actually happened in Spain but the same applies there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

beautiful in west cork. Blue sky and roasting. ah this is brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The Rocking Food Festival in Enniscorthy bathed in glorious sunshine.
    A beautiful, almost cloudless evening here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Bit lifeless over here near Kerry today, mostly cloudy although a few pockets of blue sky now. 16.8C

CgpmTyg.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I've been in Cratloe, County Clare since Thursday afternoon and haven't seen more than 2 minutes sunshine since I arrived, just very cloudy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Haven't seen the sun today. Is tomorrow suppose to be nice country wide?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Similiar to yesterday started off grey and dull but brightened up later. Not a bad day, could do with being a couple of degress warmer. But its August cant be too picky.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,669 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I was in Vienna three years ago in a heatwave and the couriers on buses were pouring water over their heads and wetting caps to try to keep cool .

I find 32 degrees uncomfortable to drive and work in, adding another 8 degrees would put me over the edge. I feel for those people you mention who have to work in 40 degree hit.
    This should be the last of such temperatures over here when this current spell ends.
    Something like 20- 24, like it was early last week, would be just fine to see out the rest of August

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Beautiful morning in the south east. Warm with barely a breath of wind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

A dull morning in Limerick

No such luck here in Tralee. Dull and cloudy ( was better earlier ) and just 16.9C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Genuinely horrible unless you're on the beach - blazing sun but sky high humidity. I'm staying indoors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Advertisement