Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2018 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Decent enough day here bit on the cool side. Showers are approaching though.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭shakeitoff

acequion wrote: »
    Here in Quebec, Canada it gets dark around 8 [like California] but is brighter about 30 mins earlier in the morning than Ireland. Personally, I prefer longer evenings.

Yeah, I really missed them when I lived in California for a bit. It makes a huge difference. The day ends very quickly in the summer in California, especially when you have come from an Irish summer. Depending where you are it can be very dead quite early because of this(Santa Barbara for example is eerily quiet towards the beachfront on Saturday night in July. Crazy) TBH, I got home very early Sunday morning and it was bright already so an extra 30 minutes doesn't really seem to have any real benefit at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

The North Atlantic SSTs suggest a settled September (please no).

https://twitter.com/WorldClimateSvc/status/1027018413254877184

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Please, let us have the settled weather in October rather than September!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Hopefully we will get a relatively settled September and October. Nothing worse than seeing a train of lows over Ireland for weeks/months on end no matter what time of the year it is.

So far today is a grand typical Irish fair summer's day. Staying dry here so far and spells of mild sunshine, temperature 18C.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Gonzo wrote: »
    Hopefully we will get a relatively settled September and October. Nothing worse than seeing a train of lows over Ireland for weeks/months on end no matter what time of the year it is.

So far today is a grand typical Irish fair summer's day. Staying dry here so far and spells of mild sunshine, temperature 18C.

More rain is still needed for us in the south.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Another dry day full of sunny goodness. Light variable wind very pleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

What's wrong with a settled September?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

Mobhi1 wrote: »

I too am wondering what is wrong with a settled September? I'd like (and I'm sure most will agree) the weather to stay nice and mild and settled for as long as possible as we head into autumn. The unpleasantness of winter, with it's cold, wind and rain goes on for long enough as it is. Any delay to that transition is warmly welcomed by me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Historically doesn't bode well for a cold Winter (which I'd like), those areas that still need rain and usually a settled September is warm which I do not want whilst being back in school. September 2016 was a nightmare.

EDIT: Saying that, I wouldn't mind a September like 2009 at all which was close to average temperatures but still very dry with reasonable sunshine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

It's best to ignore any value judgement when reading the weather forum, people mostly want the most "interesting" weather possible and not to go about their lives without the weather getting in the way.

When it gets closer to winter "good news for next week" means snow and disruption.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,503 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Yep, I'd love a big train of mad storms tbh!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

No great temperatures here in Tralee today getting up to 17.8C but really enjoyed the brightness and sunshine between the towering clouds moving inland. Caught a few showers, one quite heavy around 17.00 , 4mm in total so far.

Grand bright sunny evening and gallons of fresh air at 14.9C with some spectacular convection about.

NASA Sat Pic from earlier today.

OTjKpjY.png

• Registered Users Posts: 18,111 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Max of only 16.7c today and currently a chilly 10.6c after a heavy but brief shower dropping 2.8mm of rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

14.2c and a nippy autumnal feel for the first time tonight but what's interesting is that temperatures like this were very common in the afternoon in recent summers, just shows how warm this summer has been in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

00:47 9/8/18 south county sligo and a nippy 8'c out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

11c here in Wexford currently, despite the forecast of temps in the teens,the last 2 days hit 21-22c here. One 5 minute shower this morning and that was it, turned into a pleasant day after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Currently 7c. The lowest in a few months here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Beautiful morning in Dublin!! I won't lie, August so far has been good, especially when compared to previous Augusts like last year or 2014.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Artane2002 wrote: »
    Beautiful morning in Dublin!! I won't lie, August so far has been good, especially when compared to previous Augusts like last year or 2014.

This week has certainly turned out better than I expected, not warm but at least it's been mostly settled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Artane2002 wrote: »

Its been a fabulous summer here in south Dublin .We put the sun chairs out on May 4th and have used them continuously since then .I can actually remember some summer where we did'nt even dust them off !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

I find this type of weather far more pleasant than the heatwaves everyone seems to love. It's warm enough to make outside pleasant but cool enough that walking around or exerting yourself isn't a chore.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭shakeitoff

sharper wrote: »
    I find this type of weather far more pleasant than the heatwaves everyone seems to love. It's warm enough to make outside pleasant but cool enough that walking around or exerting yourself isn't a chore.

The heatwaves just make things way more surreal. Like around Dun Laoghaire during the heatwave it didn't feel like Ireland. This weather is actually better if you have things to do but since heatwaves are so rare here I can see why people love them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,503 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

sharper wrote: »

Same! This is ideal weather personally. For one thing, my neighbours aren't tempted to have parties in the street until 2am on a Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Just been told there may not be a ferry in the morning as we are getting a south westerly?

looks like an unsettled but certainly milder weekend is on the way with more in the way of rain this Saturday and Sunday.

Tomorrow looks like a good day to get grass cut before the wet and slightly warm conditions arrive during the weekend.

Next week has the potential to be quite unsettled at times too but warmer than this week with high teens to low 20's possible at times especially in eastern areas if there are any decent spells of sunshine.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,111 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

And for the western third it looks....unsettled.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

JCX BXC wrote: »
    And for the western third it looks....unsettled.
    Not as bad as Scandinavia, the long hot summer there is really going out with a bang!

fax36s.gif?0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

14C, I've just put on a woollen top thingy, the first time it's been picked up since early May.

On another topic, anyone recall how a week ago we were supposed to be heading into a big Atlantic storm this weekend?

• Advertisement

forecast on RTE seems to be running with the warmish temperatures for weekend and next week with spells of warm sunshine on Monday/Tuesday.

The weekends rain may not reach eastern parts till late Saturday/early Sunday.

After a chilly night tonight, with temperatures as low or 4 or 5C in places, warming up tomorrow with temperatures nudging 20C tomorrow in spells of sunshine and a much milder night tomorrow night.

Advertisement