Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2018 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,571 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Dangerously hot over the next few days over large parts of Portugal and Spain.

arpegesp-41-50-0.png?02-18

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Dangerously hot over the next few days over large parts of Portugal and Spain.

God help any holiday makers down there in those sort of temperatures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Lucky feckers if you ask me

• Registered Users Posts: 13,539 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I think the CFSv2 is broken, still going for above average heights over top of us if just a little bit to the east for August 2018.

exX6upP.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭Rougies

Having to spend most of your holiday indoors sounds pretty unlucky to me. That is dangerous heat even for the locals that are used to heat.

• Advertisement

Anybody experiencing temperatures into the mid to high 40s are not what I would consider lucky. That is killer heat for anybody unprotected from it especially people from temperate climates. The highest temperature I have experienced is 38c and that was more than enough for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Summer over?

Cracking evening in Dublin 14.
    Been doing the garden and having a beer, just like 2 weeks ago in very warm temperatures.
    Looking forward to a nice long weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,172 ✭✭✭✭km79

The rain is back and so is Clonmel :D
    We were worried about you !

• Registered Users Posts: 16,127 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Absolutely not . Once the outside temp is higher than your own core body temp you start to suffer . 39/40 is unbearable for most Europeans .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭pauldry

Jeff Maskal on the BBC said it would be dry in Northern Ireland all the way to next Wednesday from Saturday.

Thats a lie.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

most holiday makers along the coasts will be ok, 32C-34C along the coast is nothing unusual over there.

Those heading 30+km inland is a different story alright.

Summer over?

Cracking evening in Dublin 14.
    Been doing the garden and having a beer, just like 2 weeks ago in very warm temperatures.
    Looking forward to a nice long weekend.

Make the most of it. Al change from Mon for those in the north and west and from Tue for the rest of us if the current forecast is accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭harr

Was on holiday in Mexico a few years back and headed inland for a tour. Experienced temps of 44c and 45c and it was not nice for a slightly overweight very white Irish man.
    Had to return to air conditioned bus after about 15 minutes as I literally could not breathe.

Hard sleep tonight and we didn’t even get a bit of sunshine during the day to make up for it
    Horrid

• Registered Users Posts: 5,600 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Welcome back,hope you enjoyed the last 3 months of weather

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Got close to 25c in Durrow today. Quite humid and felt oppressive at times. But it beats yesterday which was a truly awful day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭acequion

I'm sure Clonmel1000 is just being tongue in cheek when he /she says "lucky feckers." And by the way welcome back clonmel!! Those of us who love heat find ourselves often envying the unenviable. That said, temps in the high 30s are quite common in the south of Spain and though very hot, it's manageable if all you're doing is larking about on a beach /by a pool and have air conditioned accommodation. I'll trade it any day for a miserable Irish summer!
    I'm pretty far away right now. In Quebec, Canada, where the weather is pleasant at temps in the high 20's but no where near as hot or as sunny as I had imagined. I was pretty sure that eastern Canada got hot summers as well as very cold winters.
    But no complaints :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

Soooooo warm. Sweating just lying in bed. All the windows open making no difference as theres no breeze

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

I spent a summer in Perth in Australia a few years back where 40C+ isn't unusual and really once it got above ~38C I'd barely notice the difference, they're well prepared for heat with air con everywhere and most streets covered by awning so the extreme mid 40's days passed without incident. I'd assume/hope its the same in Iberia.

Will be interesting to keep an eye on temps in Portugal over the next few days, models suggesting inland southern Portugal could threaten the all time European record

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

pauldry wrote: »
    Jeff Maskal on the BBC said it would be dry in Northern Ireland all the way to next Wednesday from Saturday.

Thats a lie.

The week ahead forecast just on there said a front will move down from the Northwest on Wednesday. Things cooling down over Ireland.
    The caveat was that after that front moves on they aren't sure what will happen.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I've experienced several days of 40C+ in my lifetime in Southern Spain and to be honest it's not a big deal unless your clueless and don't put sun-cream on and drink water, eat, relax and dip in the pool or sea. It's all very manageable unless you go out of the way to not take precautions.

Anyone who is thinking of spending from 9am to 8pm on a Portuguese beach this weekend without taking breaks or dipping themselves in the sea and taking precautions is just asking for trouble.

all signs for much cooler and unsettled conditions from mid week next week, not just in Ireland but whole of British Isles, heading towards northern France and Lowlands.

We lose the high pressure block over Scandinavia with Low Pressure taking central stage, no block over Scandinavia to help the attempts of high pressure from the Azures.

The heat from this weekend pushed off into central parts of Europe with low to mid teens taking up residence in our part of the world.

Summer really could be taking an extended nose dive down the tubes from Tuesday.

Last week of August and the traditional back to School for first 7 days of September could provide some brief warmth, but we will wait and see.

Still some deal of uncertainty for August but the unsettled and cool theme is really starting to take shape now, a real pattern change could be on the horizon.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Gonzo wrote: »
    I've experienced several days of 40C+ in my lifetime in Southern Spain and to be honest it's not a big deal unless your clueless and don't put sun-cream on and drink water, eat, relax and dip in the pool or sea. It's all very manageable unless you go out of the way to not take precautions.

Anyone who is thinking of spending from 9am to 8pm on a Portuguese beach this weekend without taking breaks or dipping themselves in the sea and taking precautions is just asking for trouble.

Very low humidity too, 10%.

Wouldn't mind it for a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,740 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I was in Death Valley last year when it was 48C, minibus had a problem on the way out to Badwater Basin, our driver said he had to get us back and get in a different bus as if he kept going we could die.
    Luckily we got to stay in the visitor centre at Furnace Creek to avoid the heat, but he could have stopped a little up the road where there was a pub since we did have three hours to wait...
    The heat wasn't as bad as I thought it would be - it was very hot but the humidity was very low and there was a breeze. Lots of water, sun screen and a hat made it fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭irishrover99

pauldry wrote: »

Thats a lie.

I've seen a few of your posts now and seems you cannot wait for rain.

Do you not like the sun or enjoying yourself outdoors?.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I think it's more like a case of Stockholm syndrome! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Lowest overnight minimum at Casement was 17.9 °C.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

I spent a summer in Perth in Australia a few years back where 40C+ isn't unusual and really once it got above ~38C I'd barely notice the difference, they're well prepared for heat with air con everywhere and most streets covered by awning so the extreme mid 40's days passed without incident. I'd assume/hope its the same in Iberia.

Will be interesting to keep an eye on temps in Portugal over the next few days, models suggesting inland southern Portugal could threaten the all time European record

I was in Adelaide in South Australia a few years ago and what I noticed when temperatures got up high in town was all the air conditioned cold air coming out of the shops on to the street. It was very pleasant walking past the shops and getting a blast of the cold air but it must have been very energy inefficient. It wasn't just when the doors were opened that you'd feel a blast of the cold, it was that they left their doors open all the time so that instead of providing air conditioning to the shop they were providing it to the whole street.

Do you not like the sun or enjoying yourself outdoors?.

I think you may need to invest in a sarcasm detector
    He lives in Sligo
    He like me sees plenty of rain and can always wait !!!!!

• Advertisement

Cloudy
    But the clouds are less grey than the last 3 days
    So I guess that's a positive

Advertisement