Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick GAA Discussion Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Mehapoy wrote: »
    Good to get a hard game at the weekend, felt they responded well when challenged. Niggling feeling that some players are not in top form, concerning to see Tom Morrissey not at the races and hopefully Darragh O'Donovan had a niggle as his distribution and ball winning ability is needed in that middle third.
    For me would be good to have English back, move Nash to wing back and Hayes back to 11. Hoping Tipp and Galway is an epic physical battle with extra time!

Where would you play Dan Morrissey, the first back down on every John Kiely team sheet? I'd leave Nash as English has no gametime and to parachute him into an All Ireland semi would be unfair and unnecessary. Id also leave kyke Hayes wing back. He showed the value of positioning him there last Sunday. Hes almost unstoppable raiding up the wing. He has speed and gives in good ball. I do recognise that the centre forward line loses something but there's enough forwards to find a winning combination. Tom Morrissey will be fine. He still won some good ruck ball. He was due an off day. I was vindicated in thinking Reidy starting was very left field. Hes played himself off the team and I would say he's not going to be first sub for the half forwards. He's still a great ball striker just not physical enough for half forward.
    Id like to see Adrian Breen or Flanagan starting the semi. We know what Peter Casey offers. I think Limerick need goals to put clear water between them and the opposition in the semi. 3 or 4 points will not be enough of a lead against a Kilkenny going into the last 10 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,548 ✭✭✭billyhead

So it's Galway in the semis. On yesterdays showing I wouldn't fear them. Although I worry about Conor Whelan giving Barry Nash the run around if he starts or will Richie be fit?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭cave_dweller

billyhead wrote: »
    So it's Galway in the semis. On yesterdays showing I wouldn't fear them. Although I worry about Conor Whelan giving Barry Nash the run around if he starts or will Richie be fit?

They are a very good team so saying you don't fear them is disrespectful. A forward line containing Whelan, Colcannon, Canning and Mannion should always be feared. They can beat Limerick, although Limerick are favourites.

We were a little off the pace vs Waterford so we need to settle down and be ready to go from the through in next Sunday. Our half backs have been excellent this year, we need our half forwards to get back to good form after struggling a little vs Waterford. Finn will mark Whelan for sure, Nash needs to be very careful on Colcannon, he has been very good in the Championship and is dangerous. This game will be a serious test of our full back line and let us know if they can hold the line.

4 very good teams left. Limerick favourites, yes, but that tag plays no part. All of the other 3 can beat us and will if we start like we did vs Kilkenny last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭raindodger

all teams going for goals yesterday an area we have not been strong at.
    would love to have conor whelan playing for us

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭One_More_Mile

The Galway game is really a 50/50 tussle. Couldn't say one team has an advantage over the other. I feel both games next weekend will have nothing between the teams. A bounce of the ball either way could be the difference. Galway do have the goalscoring threat we don't seem to have yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,387 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The Galway game is really a 50/50 tussle. Couldn't say one team has an advantage over the other. I feel both games next weekend will have nothing between the teams. A bounce of the ball either way could be the difference. Galway do have the goalscoring threat we don't seem to have yet

If we go in hard from the off like 2018 or KK done to us in 2019 I think Galway will struggle. I dont see us letting a lead slip if we get a good one up early

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

breezy1985 wrote: »
    If we go in hard from the off like 2018 or KK done to us in 2019 I think Galway will struggle. I dont see us letting a lead slip if we get a good one up early

Full back match ups key and we should be ok if we get them right

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭High bike

Would agree it's a 50/50 match but the fact that Galway are on their 3rd week in a row will surely tip it in Limericks favour in the last 15 mins.We all saw how hard it was for teams in the last couple of yrs to go 3 weeks in a row,time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭lim4ev

As the days go by I'm getting a little more confident I wonder will kiely make changes many of who I speak to want Flanagan in at 14 with gillane to 13 and mul to 15 desperate hard on casey but horses for courses. Any word on English? Ive heard loads good and bad depending on who you speak with.

lim4ev wrote: »
    As the days go by I'm getting a little more confident I wonder will kiely make changes many of who I speak to want Flanagan in at 14 with gillane to 13 and mul to 15 desperate hard on casey but horses for courses. Any word on English? Ive heard loads good and bad depending on who you speak with.

Not sure about English but David Dempsey is out

• Advertisement

billyhead wrote: »
    Not sure about English but David Dempsey is out

Yea I heard that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Jizique

High bike wrote: »
    Would agree it's a 50/50 match but the fact that Galway are on their 3rd week in a row will surely tip it in Limericks favour in the last 15 mins.We all saw how hard it was for teams in the last couple of yrs to go 3 weeks in a row,time will tell.

Were Cavan not out 4 weeks in a row?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭One_More_Mile

Galway used their bench wisely last week, I don't see the 3 weeks being an issue for them unless it goes to extra time

Galway used their bench wisely last week, I don't see the 3 weeks being an issue for them unless it goes to extra time

You might be right, I did think they looked tired in the second half vs Tipp and struggled over the line even with the extra man. Time will tell but I would expect it to play a part in the last 15 minutes.

I think we'll win, mainly because the team seems very driven this year after the loss versus Kilkenny last year. And Waterford gave them a hard game so I think we'll be focused and good to go from the start. If that's the case, I think we are a little bit better than Galway and will have a bit too much for them. But a tough game for sure against a very good side.

One other thing I'd watch is Cathal Mannion. He reminds me a bit of Tony Kelly, who was allowed roam when we played Clare and scored a good few from play. Minimising Mannion's impact will be important.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

You might be right, I did think they looked tired in the second half vs Tipp and struggled over the line even with the extra man. Time will tell but I would expect it to play a part in the last 15 minutes.

I think we'll win, mainly because the team seems very driven this year after the loss versus Kilkenny last year. And Waterford gave them a hard game so I think we'll be focused and good to go from the start. If that's the case, I think we are a little bit better than Galway and will have a bit too much for them. But a tough game for sure against a very good side.

One other thing I'd watch is Cathal Mannion. He reminds me a bit of Tony Kelly, who was allowed roam when we played Clare and scored a good few from play. Minimising Mannion's impact will be important.

Lots of factors at play! if Galway win it's because of momentum, if not it's tiredness. They have played a few games in Croke Park this year whereas it's Limericks first outing there.
    I think Galway are the team most suited to match up with Limerick and I think Limerick may need some goals to get over the line l. The full forward line can get change out of this Galway defense so will expect a goal or 2. On the other side colcannon and Whelan are dangerous too! Thinking the team will line out as per the Munster semi rather than the final, if it's tight coming into the last 15 maybe Limerick will have the gas to pull through, but can't see more than a few points in it whoever comes out on top.
    Proper nervous for this one, nobody wants to go out in a semi final after not been beaten all year.

we can't afford any fellas not to perform like what happenedin Munster final

Whichever team gets more good ball into their FF line will win

I hope Limerick dont need as much time to adjust to Croke Park as they did last year. And the wides were brutal during that first 35 mins last year. This year I think the focus on accuracy has paid massive dividends. Id put that down to Kiely specifically focusing on wides being an 'issue'. So the first 15mins will tell us who ll win . Galway will start very fast but if Limerick do aswell I cant see Galway winning coming down the stretch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭spurshero

Maybe ye will win all Ireland and good luck to ye if ye do but the 2 posts above smack of arrogance . Players can’t be as poor as they were in Munster final is a disservice to Waterford in my opinion . And bloody bill can’t see Galway coming down the stretch with ye ! As I said maybe ye both be right but pre match talk like that is dangerous in my opinion and setting players up
    For a fall.

spurshero wrote: »
    Maybe ye will win all Ireland and good luck to ye if ye do but the 2 posts above smack of arrogance . Players can’t be as poor as they were in Munster final is a disservice to Waterford in my opinion . And bloody bill can’t see Galway coming down the stretch with ye ! As I said maybe ye both be right but pre match talk like that is dangerous in my opinion and setting players up
    For a fall.

Where did I denigrate waterford? Your post smacks of taking offence where there is none

spurshero wrote: »
    For a fall.

Coming down the stretch means the last 5 to 10mins where the extra game might affect Galway. Id certainly not be surprised if Galway one. Its funny how old stool the GAA is at times.Always looking for a slight or throwaway comment. Its 2020, not 1970.Arrogance is a recipe for disaster,everyone knows that.Humility a recipe for success. If anything Galway have lost so much because of a certain arrogance around their own huge ability. As in Galway used to just hurl off the cuff with no gameplan ...but they have had to adjust

• Advertisement

Darragh and Flanagan in, right calls I think

Yeah no harm to start Flanagan, take some of the physical pressure off Gillane in the full forward line. Id like to see Flanagan start well and go at them right down the middle

Great team selected, our best 15 at the moment imo! Hyped up for Sunday, can't wait for it. A serious battle ahead against a very good Galway team. Wishing the lads the best of luck!

Galway have a very strong team named as well. No surprise for me to see David Burke at number 12. He dropped back as a sweeper vs Tipp and I'd be very surprised if he does that against Limerick. He'll likely drop into midfield to crowd out that area with Canning there as well. That battle is key and if Galway were to make the mistake of playing a sweeper it'll be advantage Limerick imo. We need to win that midfield battle to stop good ball getting into the Galway full forward line. If they get good ball, Whelan and Colcannon (who I've been very impressed with this year) will do damage.

However, while the focus has been on the Limerick full back line considering our absences I'd fancy our full forward line to do damage vs Galway's full back line. Will Burke take Gillane or stay on Flanagan? I'd expect Flanagan with Harte taking Gillane. Cooney can be a weak link, at times, in that Galway full back line and I'd fancy Mulcahy to do damage there if good ball is going in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭High bike

Surprised with Casey being dropped,thought he was going well and Flanagan doing well off the bench.English obviously not right or he'd have started hopefully they get the job done

• Registered Users Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭MfMan

Great team selected, our best 15 at the moment imo! Hyped up for Sunday, can't wait for it. A serious battle ahead against a very good Galway team. Wishing the lads the best of luck!

Galway have a very strong team named as well. No surprise for me to see David Burke at number 12. He dropped back as a sweeper vs Tipp and I'd be very surprised if he does that against Limerick. He'll likely drop into midfield to crowd out that area with Canning there as well. That battle is key and if Galway were to make the mistake of playing a sweeper it'll be advantage Limerick imo. We need to win that midfield battle to stop good ball getting into the Galway full forward line. If they get good ball, Whelan and Colcannon (who I've been very impressed with this year) will do damage.

However, while the focus has been on the Limerick full back line considering our absences I'd fancy our full forward line to do damage vs Galway's full back line. Will Burke take Gillane or stay on Flanagan? I'd expect Flanagan with Harte taking Gillane. Cooney can be a weak link, at times, in that Galway full back line and I'd fancy Mulcahy to do damage there if good ball is going in.

Is this 'Colcannon' scrumptiously good for Galway? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Actually pleasantly surprised Flanagan is starting...usually if the man in possession of the jersey is playing well he stays in, having said that I think Flanagan roaming and Gillane in the corner has a better balance to the forward line.
    Casey will be a nightmare for defenders coming on hungry for scores! Galway will be an almighty physical battle so Flanagan is well suited to that role.
    Don't care if we fall over the line by a point or 2, as long as we're still alive Sunday night!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

From a Galway perspective I'm not surprised to see Flanagan in from the outset, great player. But in a another sense I'm happy as I fear Casey and Mulcahy on the field together and Limericks first choice style has been altered on the basis Flanagan had joy against us in 2018.

Looking back at that game Galway under O'Neill will never allow that to happen again. Flanagan can go where he likes and the sweeper will track him from puckouts with Daithi able to move over and cover Gillane and help out his corner back as required.

With Lynch out of midfield Galway could actually get more joy in this area and more ball inside. Still a tall order for us but that team has me more confident of hanging in there a bit longer.

From a Galway perspective I'm not surprised to see Flanagan in from the outset, great player. But in a another sense I'm happy as I fear Casey and Mulcahy on the field together and Limericks first choice style has been altered on the basis Flanagan had joy against us in 2018.

Looking back at that game Galway under O'Neill will never allow that to happen again. Flanagan can go where he likes and the sweeper will track him from puckouts with Daithi able to move over and cover Gillane and help out his corner back as required.

With Lynch out of midfield Galway could actually get more joy in this area and more ball inside. Still a tall order for us but that team has me more confident of hanging in there a bit longer.

I can see where you're coming from re Flanagan as he wouldn't be a prolific scorer like say Casey but he does an altogether different job for us and I'm thrilled he's starting as is most of the county here I'd guess

High bike wrote: »
    Surprised with Casey being dropped,thought he was going well and Flanagan doing well off the bench.English obviously not right or he'd have started hopefully they get the job done

I wasn't surprised Flanagan was picked. He hurled great when he came on against Waterford and deserves a start. Peter Casey has been ok but hasn't been tearing it up. He works very hard but had kind of slipped back into the '2 point Casey' mode of the past. It asks different questions of the Galway defence.
    English is fully fit but he's certainly not match fit. You can't start a guy in an All Ireland semi who's had no game time and limited training time.. There ll be a few questions asked of Nash this weekend . Galway will target him but if he's the loose man back there he'll be ok with Dan on Colbannon and Finn on Whelen

• Advertisement

Big day today. I expect us to get over the line in a close battle.

Advertisement