Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick GAA Discussion Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭One_More_Mile

2.Boylan
    3.Finn
    4.Nash

Not too shabby....any other decent options available?

Aaron Costello played corner back during the league & looked handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Aaron Costello played corner back during the league & looked handy.

Looks like Finn will go full back, between Condon, Costello, Boylan, might see Dan Morrissey back there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭raindodger

options seem to be narrowing reading in limerick forum tom condon injured

• Registered Users Posts: 9,547 ✭✭✭billyhead

So tomorrow week the quest for Liam begins. You would expect us to bear Clare with the number of missing players they have. I worry though about out full back line with Casey @ English out. At least Sean Finn is fit. Such a brilliant hurler. I reckon Aaron Costello will start in the corner. Not sure who else will make the full back line. Boylan perhaps

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭lim4ev

billyhead wrote: »
    So tomorrow week the quest for Liam begins. You would expect us to bear Clare with the number of missing players they have. I worry though about out full back line with Casey @ English out. At least Sean Finn is fit. Such a brilliant hurler. I reckon Aaron Costello will start in the corner. Not sure who else will make the full back line. Boylan perhaps

I'd imagine the fb line will be Finn at 3 Nash at 2 and Costelloe at 4 maybe Boylan depending on whos going well in training

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Possible team for Sunday unless they move Dan to no3 I'd expect this to be close to the actual team

Quaid
    Nash
    Finn
    Costelloe
    Byrne's
    Hannon
    Morrissey
    Lynch
    Wod
    Hegarty
    Hayes
    Dempsey
    Mulcahy
    Flanagan
    Gillane

Most obvious player left out is p Casey but think he's better coming on than either Flanagan or Mulcahy we have him and t Morrissey plus others to cover forwards its the backs we're tight on considering our injuries but again have options like o loughlin and boylan plus we can move hayes or Wod back if required.

Anyone have an idea whether English has a chance of playing in November should we beat Clare on Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭pajoguy

lim4ev wrote: »
    Possible team for Sunday unless they move Dan to no3 I'd expect this to be close to the actual team

Quaid
    Nash
    Finn
    Costelloe
    Byrne's
    Hannon
    Morrissey
    Lynch
    Wod
    Hegarty
    Hayes
    Dempsey
    Mulcahy
    Flanagan
    Gillane

Most obvious player left out is p Casey but think he's better coming on than either Flanagan or Mulcahy we have him and t Morrissey plus others to cover forwards its the backs we're tight on considering our injuries but again have options like o loughlin and boylan plus we can move hayes or Wod back if required.

Anyone have an idea whether English has a chance of playing in November should we beat Clare on Sunday?

From what I have heard English might be available for the Tipp match if we in obviously. Its very hard to know what way Sunday will go. No form guide at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

pajoguy wrote: »
    From what I have heard English might be available for the Tipp match if we in obviously. Its very hard to know what way Sunday will go. No form guide at all.

Would be a fair ballsy move to start a lad on Callanan who wasn't fit to start 7 days previously.

26 named for Clare, no Condon or Costello on the bench, very light on full backline cover now, could be a nervy start if Clare bomb it into Shanagher, O'Donnell and Cunningham!
    So many unknowns coming out of the lockdown it will be a slog I would think, no Dempsey to come off the bench either.

1. Nicky Quaid (Effin)
    2. Sean Finn (Bruff)
    3. Dan Morrissey (Ahane)
    4. Barry Nash (South Liberties)
    5. Diarmaid Byrnes (Patrickswell)
    6. Declan Hannon (Adare) Captain
    7. Paddy O’Loughlin (Kilmallock)
    8. Cian Lynch (Patrickswell)
    9. William O’Donoghue (Na Piarsaigh)
    10. Gearoid Hegarty (St. Patrick’s)
    11. Kyle Hayes (Kildimo/Pallaskenry)
    12. Tom Morrissey (Ahane)
    13. Graeme Mulcahy (Kilmallock)
    14. Aaron Gillane (Patrickswell)
    15. Peter Casey (Na Piarsaigh)
    16. Barry Hennessy (Kilmallock)
    17. Conor Boylan (Na Piarsaigh)
    18. Jerome Boylan (Na Piarsaigh)
    19. Adrian Breen (Na Piarsaigh)
    20. Ronan Connolly (Adare)
    21. Seamus Flanagan (Feohanagh-Castlemahon)
    22. Robbie Hanley (Kilmallock)
    23. Darragh O’Donovan (Doon)
    24. Brian O’Grady (Kilteely-Dromkeen)
    25. David Reidy (Dromin-Athlacca)
    26. Pat Ryan (Doon)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Good to see o'grady in the 26

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

Very surprised not to see Dempsey on panel, is he injured?

I thought he could be close to starting after seeing him in club championship

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

benji79 wrote: »
    Very surprised not to see Dempsey on panel, is he injured?

I thought he could be close to starting after seeing him in club championship

Thats the one big anomaly. Wheres David Dempsey? He was in the form if his life. He'll be able to do the milking for his father Sunday morning out in Coonagh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

The leader has this on Dempsey:
    One player not among the subs is David Dempsey. The Na Piarsaigh man was impressive for Limerick back in the Spring and was Man of the Match in the Limerick SHC County Final - he picked up a knock that kept him out of contention for Sunday.

From this article:
    Leader Article - Limerick hurling team named to play Clare in eagerly awaited Shannonside derby

Its a mystery to me. Obviously he hasn't brought the form he showed with Na Piarsaigh into the Limerick camp or else he has a niggle which I doubt because Kiely is upfront about that.
    Its all about a performance today because Mark my words Clare will be good. Ignore their challenge match results. They ll be like all Clare teams..very fit and game. And they've got talent . O Donnell usually plays very well against Limerick..usually. im tipping Limerick but by only a few points.
    Iv one major issue with the fullback line and it isn't Dan. Its Nash..he doesn't have the mann marking for the corner. He's not compact or burly. He's a great athletic wing back or forward but if he's turned quick ...id be concerned and would have preferred Costello or Boylan.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,386 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Its a mystery to me. Obviously he hasn't brought the form he showed with Na Piarsaigh into the Limerick camp or else he has a niggle which I doubt because Kiely is upfront about that.
    Its all about a performance today because Mark my words Clare will be good. Ignore their challenge match results. They ll be like all Clare teams..very fit and game. And they've got talent . O Donnell usually plays very well against Limerick..usually. im tipping Limerick but by only a few points.
    Iv one major issue with the fullback line and it isn't Dan. Its Nash..he doesn't have the mann marking for the corner. He's not compact or burly. He's a great athletic wing back or forward but if he's turned quick ...id be concerned and would have preferred Costello or Boylan.

We'll miss or regular full back line today. Their performance against Clare last year was a masterclass in how to neutralise a big ball winning full forward line

breezy1985 wrote: »
    We'll miss or regular full back line today. Their performance against Clare last year was a masterclass in how to neutralise a big ball winning full forward line

Great win well done to all

Defence will get a real test next week, looking forward to that

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Munsterbhoy

Great win well done to all

Defence will get a real test next week, looking forward to that

I'd echo that but surely they'll benefit from that game. Lacked a bit of bite in the first half but stepped it up in the 2nd. Great to have it back thou..

Tighten up the backs and the sloppy short passes (tom et al) and we'll be hard to beat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭High bike

I think we need a corner back,nash is too loose for that position

High bike wrote: »

Totally agree. Jerome Boylan should have got 20 mins not the 5 he got. Nash started off by giving away 2 silly frees. He improved until the goal...going up for the ball . Hes not a relation of a corner back. Id start Boylan next Sunday.

• Advertisement

I'd imagine he's there for his pace as dan and paddy are pretty slow

Finn as much at fault he was behind and was the safety hes made that mistake before with Casey at fb

• Registered Users Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭obi604

It’s been so long I forget what happened in the league. Did Limerick and Clare qualify for the league final?

And did it just happen to be that they were drawn together in Munster Quarter final.

And a decision was made to double this match today as league final and Munster quarter final?

Did it have to go to some kind of a vote?

Have to say that was a terrible game to watch, I'd say training games would be more intense, to score 36 points in a Munster championship game feels very false as I thought Limerick took a long time to get up to speed. Kelly went to town and was loose the whole time, what was it 9 points from play for him? Great performance from him but you'd be fearful of Tipp if McGrath, Callanan, Forde etc. get that sort of space. Having said that the first day out, bound to take awhile to get into it. Really missing the 2 lads in the fullback line, Nash looked like a forward filling in at corner back, think Boylan or Costello would have more of an instinct for it and might tighten up that line a bit.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

obi604 wrote: »
    It’s been so long I forget what happened in the league. Did Limerick and Clare qualify for the league final?

And did it just happen to be that they were drawn together in Munster Quarter final.

And a decision was made to double this match today as league final and Munster quarter final?

Did it have to go to some kind of a vote?

They both topped their group and it was decided that if they were to be drawn together at any stage in the championship that it'd double up as the league final. Amazingly they met in the first round of the championship

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭One_More_Mile

High bike wrote: »

It's a tough one, he has the attributes but not the experience playing there. If Costello was fit, he would be there with Nash instead of paddy.
    Kiely will hardly make a change at this late a stage though

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭raindodger

main thing seemed to come through without any more injuries because with the format very little recovery time
    ideal position knowing we can and must improve

• Registered Users Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Well done today, fine win, would probably worry about the 1-23 conceded but 0-36 is some scoring

Kiely is some man in fairness ye deserve another shot at the title especially after the kilkenny game last year, it will take a good team to stop ye,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Did Kyle Hayes go to court yet or it all sorted that he back on the team?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

sasta le wrote: »
    Did Kyle Hayes go to court yet or it all sorted that he back on the team?

Covid has it set back, but a touchy subjected on here, no one wants a player that good going to jail.....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Covid has it set back, but a touchy subjected on here, no one wants a player that good going to jail.....

Well if he is guilty he deserves jail.. surprised John Kieily has him on the team till it's all over

Advertisement