Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick GAA Discussion Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

pajoguy wrote: »
    It looked like tipp arrived by bus today. Thought they had to drive seperately?

No you can use 2 buses if you want. I actually think tipp drove to Cork but only took buses from their warm up base in Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

degetme wrote: »
    Great performance given the weather conditions. I'm just disgusted were not going for 3 in a row while we have the talent and management that are in place.

Steady on there.!!
    We play Waterford next Sunday week, that's the only game that matters for now. Under a decent manager like Cahill they are definately on the up.
    We lost a semi-final last year we could/should have won.
    In 2018 we won an A.I. that we could (but not should) have lost.
    Leave it at that for now. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭degetme

washman3 wrote: »
    Steady on there.!!
    We play Waterford next Sunday week, that's the only game that matters for now. Under a decent manager like Cahill they are definately on the up.
    We lost a semi-final last year we could/should have won.
    In 2018 we won an A.I. that we could (but not should) have lost.
    Leave it at that for now. ;)

Just felt we lost out big time last year. Leaving hannon on too long being injured. Make hay while the sun shines and all that. You won't always this panel and management forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭letsseehere14

Lookit, a few things from the last 2 weekends.
    Firstly the ref from yesterday, no issues from my point of view. Can be argued that 2 of the most important decisions at important times went our way. The pull at the start of the second half, I was waiting for the red honestly as its the type of thing thats punished these days. And the penalty, after Tipp started the second half well with 3 unanswered points, that penalty put us back out to 9 or 10 when it had been cut to 6 at one point. Should have been a free out for steps. What happened after with Tipps non-goal is irrelevant as that penalty killed their early second half run. They had it back to 6 into injury time so you have to admit the penalty was an important call. So Iv no issues with the ref.

On the whole of the last 2 weekends, it is undeniable that we are the best team in the country right now, but I feel we are not as far ahead as many think we are. Clare were missing so many top players. Imagine if they had had Conlon, Duggan and Collins. We would have still won but it would have been much closer. Yesterday we had the advantage of a game under our belts which was clear with Tipps touch being worse than ours. They coughed up at least 4 points in that first half that we didnt give them and the timing of our first and second goals couldnt have happened better. I believe we would have won both games even if things had gone better for Clare and Tipp but these two games could not have fallen better for us and may be giving us a false sense of dominance.

Galway were very impressive and I would expect both of us to win next week and be sitting in the SF spots. That would be a tough final, brutal with 2 physical sides in winter hurling. I just have a gut feeling it wont work out that way, but hopefully it'll be Galway that are caught this year and not us.

Well done to the footballers. Big opportunity to make a Munster final now.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Lookit, a few things from the last 2 weekends.
    Firstly the ref from yesterday, no issues from my point of view. Can be argued that 2 of the most important decisions at important times went our way. The pull at the start of the second half, I was waiting for the red honestly as its the type of thing thats punished these days. And the penalty, after Tipp started the second half well with 3 unanswered points, that penalty put us back out to 9 or 10 when it had been cut to 6 at one point. Should have been a free out for steps. What happened after with Tipps non-goal is irrelevant as that penalty killed their early second half run. They had it back to 6 into injury time so you have to admit the penalty was an important call. So Iv no issues with the ref.

On the whole of the last 2 weekends, it is undeniable that we are the best team in the country right now, but I feel we are not as far ahead as many think we are. Clare were missing so many top players. Imagine if they had had Conlon, Duggan and Collins. We would have still won but it would have been much closer. Yesterday we had the advantage of a game under our belts which was clear with Tipps touch being worse than ours. They coughed up at least 4 points in that first half that we didnt give them and the timing of our first and second goals couldnt have happened better. I believe we would have won both games even if things had gone better for Clare and Tipp but these two games could not have fallen better for us and may be giving us a false sense of dominance.

Galway were very impressive and I would expect both of us to win next week and be sitting in the SF spots. That would be a tough final, brutal with 2 physical sides in winter hurling. I just have a gut feeling it wont work out that way, but hopefully it'll be Galway that are caught this year and not us.

Well done to the footballers. Big opportunity to make a Munster final now.

Hegarty was fouled on his run through for the penalty. So it wouldn't have been a free out anyway. He took 1 maybe 2 extra steps so yeah it could have been ruled out. The retired ref in the Examiner said it was scandalous that McGrath got away with that pick off the ground and throw to his brother. It wasnt good enough. WOD was lucky. He gave away 5 frees..4 direct points. He played well overall. If he could be thought by Kinnerk that there's a level of slapping that won't be gotten away with. Its not Gaelic Football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Hoping for a good tight game this weekend, I think Limerick suffered last year as they got it easy from Tipp in the Munster final. Think Waterford will be hard working and Cahill is a good manager that will have them hurling with a plan.
    Hoping Richie English might make the bench for this and be able to give be him 10 mins. Other than that can't see any other changes, again middle third will be the vital sector, Waterford have some good operators in this area so will expect it to be well contested in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Yeah Waterford will be a big challenge, was only 4 points in the league iirc

Hutchinson is a great boost for them

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Dcmb1984

Any injurys concerns for Limerick?

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Was reading in the Waterford page about some of their injured players being fit again one was Conor Gleeson he's an excellent hurler they are strong in the backs esp their half backs if they put conor Gleeson in fb line where im sure hes played before and v well if I recall correctly they'll be even stronger. They look a little lightweight up front but again more excellent hurlers there too , look we seem to be further along the road than them but every team needs to be respected and Waterford are no different with our well documented injuries in full back line plus the 2 main covers out too we need to be careful. Ill go for a Limerick win with Waterford putting it up to us

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Cian Lynch's uncle died abroad so I'd imagine won't be playing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭High bike

bigpink wrote: »
    Cian Lynch's uncle died abroad so I'd imagine won't be playing
    Funeral is Saturday,I'd very surprised if he doesn't play

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭cave_dweller

Sad day for Cian and his family on Saturday, wishing them the best for the tough day ahead.

The Limerick team was announced for Sunday and Cian is in there. Hayes is in the half back line, he'll do well there. I thought O'Donovan would get in but David Reidy starts at number 11. This is Reidy's first start in a championship game for Limerick, that I can remember, so a big chance for him. He's a different player to Hayes so really excited to see how he plays and if Limerick try something a bit different. I thought Flanagan or Pat Ryan might get in as well but both are subs.

1. Nicky Quaid (Effin)
    2. Sean Finn (Bruff)
    3. Dan Morrissey (Ahane)
    4. Barry Nash (South Liberties)
    5. Diarmaid Byrnes (Patrickswell)
    6. Declan Hannon (Adare) Captain
    7. Kyle Hayes (Kildimo/Pallaskenry)
    8. Cian Lynch (Patrickswell)
    9. William O’Donoghue (Na Piarsaigh)
    10. Gearoid Hegarty (St. Patrick’s)
    11. David Reidy (Dromin-Athlacca)
    12. Tom Morrissey (Ahane)
    13. Graeme Mulcahy (Kilmallock)
    14. Aaron Gillane (Patrickswell)
    15. Peter Casey (Na Piarsaigh)
    16. Barry Hennessy (Kilmallock)
    17. Jerome Boylan (Na Piarsaigh)
    18. Adrian Breen (Na Piarsaigh)
    19. Ronan Connolly (Adare)
    20. David Dempsey (Na Piarsaigh)
    21. Richie English (Doon)
    22. Seamus Flanagan (Feohanagh-Castlemahon)
    23. Robbie Hanley (Kilmallock)
    24. Darragh O’Donovan (Doon)
    25. Paddy O’Loughlin (Kilmallock)
    26. Pat Ryan (Doon)

English on the bench happy with that

Yeah Waterford will be a big challenge, was only 4 points in the league iirc

Hutchinson is a great boost for them

There ye go

Byrnes and hegarty immense but a few more need to up their game for a semi final

Wod, tom fairly out of it, reidy got on the ball but touch and decisions let him down

Something will have to give in that trio

Still most of the talk is about de burca and we won't be hyped up for a semi final

There he go

Byrnes and hegarty immense but a few more need to up their game for a semi final

Wod, tom fairly out of it, reidy got on the ball but touch and decisions let him down

Something will have to give in that trio

Still most of the talk is about de burca and we won't be hyped up for a semi final

Good win in the end. They could have lost. WOD and Tom Morrissey gave some terrible passes this evening. The exiting out of defence was sub standard at times. For me Reidy isn't at that level. Nash is only marking time because he isn't a tight defender and Richie Hogan or TJ will roast him. Not his fault.. cian Lynch was good as was Gillane in patches. Gillane doesn't make the right decision alot of the time. I cant question his ability but his decision to not shoot 25 yards out was poor . He makes at least 2 bad decisions a game.
    Its great to be in the Semi but Limerick have come back to the pack. Id throw a blanket over them and Kilkenny,Galway and Tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭High bike

Thought they got a good hard match which is what they needed,I wonder will he throw English in for the sf

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Good win in the end. They could have lost. WOD and Tom Morrissey gave some terrible passes this evening. The exiting out of defence was sub standard at times. For me Reidy isn't at that level. Nash is only marking time because he isn't a tight defender and Richie Hogan or TJ will roast him. Not his fault.. cian Lynch was good as was Gillane in patches. Gillane doesn't make the right decision alot of the time. I cant question his ability but his decision to not shoot 25 yards out was poor . He makes at least 2 bad decisions a game.
    Its great to be in the Semi but Limerick have come back to the pack. Id throw a blanket over them and Kilkenny,Galway and Tipp.

Yeah agree with that, darragh and falnagn have to be close to starting, flanagan expecially

High bike wrote: »
    Thought they got a good hard match which is what they needed,I wonder will he throw English in for the sf

He should because that fullback line isn't as strong as it needs to be. I cant fault Nash but he gets caught out on tbe wrong side of his man alot. He was better than the last day. Id start Flanagan from now on and Donovan. The Reidy experiment didn't work at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭slegs

Yeah agree with that, darragh and falnagn have to be close to starting, flanagan expecially

DoD for Reidy will be the only change for Semi Final I’d say with Lynch at CF

• Registered Users Posts: 9,547 ✭✭✭billyhead

We needed that. Dampens down expectation a little.

• Advertisement

billyhead wrote: »
    We needed that. Dampens down expectation a little.

And more importantly a week off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

And more importantly a week off

And not 4 like last year, it's a real bonus going threw the front door this year.

Well done really impressive again

And not 4 like last year, it's a real bonus going threw the front door this year.

Well done really impressive again

They ll need to change it up abit for the semi. If start Flanagan because there's zero goal threat at the moment. I know they play that type of game but still..The backs were OK. Some poor hand passing from Morrissey, WOD and Byrnes...like really bad stuff. Great finishing quarter by Ger Hegarty and Mulcahy had a good second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Mucky_Tackies

Thought byrnes and Hannon didn't do enough with and without the ball today. Better in final quarter when intensity ratched up.

Reidy just can't seem.to.make step up and Nash doing a job but Cody would have his lads go through him for a shortcut. Hopefully English match fit in a fortnight

Flannigan should come in to start. Can see form of 2018 showing signs there, his size an added threat and Casey yet to blow a game apart with the added starts he's had.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Thought byrnes and Hannon didn't do enough with and without the ball today. Better in final quarter when intensity ratched up.

Reidy just can't seem.to.make step up and Nash doing a job but Cody would have his lads go through him for a shortcut. Hopefully English match fit in a fortnight

Flannigan should come in to start. Can see form of 2018 showing signs there, his size an added threat and Casey yet to blow a game apart with the added starts he's had.

slightly harsh ,ye looked a bit tired tonight but still scored 25 points (which is incredible scoring in these conditions ) hit several wides so must have created at least 40 scoring chances in the game

the week off will do ye wonders , limerick are the best team in the country ad after what happened last year in the semi final ye need no reminder of how luck can change , it would have been a tough ask to win an all ireland if ye lost tonight , play bad and score 25 points from here on in and ye should be fairly ok;)

We need English back for semi if we are to win it will be meeting a better class of forward in Galway and kk our fb line is there to be cleaned.get Flanagan in to do the donkey work for gillane and co. Need to push up lads as already said we have a zero goal threat I suppose even the way I'm talking is good expectations are lowered all this talk of limerick odds on to win it out baffles me

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Slieve Gullion

slightly harsh ,ye looked a bit tired tonight but still scored 25 points (which is incredible scoring in these conditions ) hit several wides so must have created at least 40 scoring chances in the game

the week off will do ye wonders , limerick are the best team in the country ad after what happened last year in the semi final ye need no reminder of how luck can change , it would have been a tough ask to win an all ireland if ye lost tonight , play bad and score 25 points from here on in and ye should be fairly ok;)

How nice to be plamased by a Clare man, wringing his hands waiting in the shadows for revenge. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

How nice to be plamased by a Clare man, wringing his hands waiting in the shadows for revenge. ;)

to be fair i can barly spell the word let alone act it out , :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Good to get a hard game at the weekend, felt they responded well when challenged. Niggling feeling that some players are not in top form, concerning to see Tom Morrissey not at the races and hopefully Darragh O'Donovan had a niggle as his distribution and ball winning ability is needed in that middle third.
    For me would be good to have English back, move Nash to wing back and Hayes back to 11. Hoping Tipp and Galway is an epic physical battle with extra time!

Advertisement