Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick GAA Discussion Part 2

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

The42.ie is reporting that Aaron Gillane has gone to hospital with his back injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,814 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Benny Cake wrote: »
    Unfortunately Mulcahy was anonymous today

His impact is huge on this limerick team and has been for years , he deserves the credit for it , tge all Ireland final usually has a big bearing in who gets it , if he has a good final he should be in contention

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Nickie.... was he even playing???
    Finn.... early yellow didnt hold him back. Very solid.
    Dan..... excellent game growing into the position
    Barry.... great catch in 1st half and very solid
    Byrnes.... some great scores. Accuracy way up this year
    Dec.... solid, good point but not as commanding as usual
    Kyle.... cant believe he is 28.1 for hurler of the year. I know its normally a forward
    WOD ..... not bad picked up alot of loose ball but we need a bit more from him
    DOD.... brought ball through the lines well in first half but though fsded in 2nd
    Tom.... great to see him firing today.
    Cian..... 1st half though he struggled with his touch a bit but much better 2nd half
    HEGO..... another barnstorming first half from him. He needs to be more careflu with the hurley. Another ref would have sent him off today...
    Mul.... very anonymous. Should have made keeper pay for mistake. A player who will make up for it the next day
    FLAN.... Some nice scores but probably need to see more ball. The sweeper in front didnt help his cause. In 2018 he set up some amount of scores.
    Gillane... again sweeper didnt help his game. Not shooting the lights out from play. Serious injury concern now though

CASEY..... badly needed injection of pace. Few nice points and super catch.
    Reidy..... He did the same thing as in 19 against kk when through. Needs to finish those chances... not good enough for this level.
    Breen.... should have carried on to create a goal chance but easier talk here
    Ryan.... not on long enough.

My thoughts....be nice....was shaking for the last 20 mins so probably missed alot of what went on.

Great to be in final. Semi finals for winning. Waterford the most impressive team of weekend so all to play for. I would say its 55/45 in limericks favour only based on the experience of the players limerick have built up in the last 3 years. Waterford beat kk but if u took tj out of kk then they can be very ordinary.

LUIMNEACH ABU

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

pajoguy wrote: »
    Nickie.... was he even playing???
    Finn.... early yellow didnt hold him back. Very solid.
    Dan..... excellent game growing into the position
    Barry.... great catch in 1st half and very solid
    Byrnes.... some great scores. Accuracy way up this year
    Dec.... solid, good point but not as commanding as usual
    Kyle.... cant believe he is 28.1 for hurler of the year. I know its normally a forward
    WOD ..... not bad picked up alot of loose ball but we need a bit more from him
    DOD.... brought ball through the lines well in first half but though fsded in 2nd
    Tom.... great to see him firing today.
    Cian..... 1st half though he struggled with his touch a bit but much better 2nd half
    HEGO..... another barnstorming first half from him. He needs to be more careflu with the hurley. Another ref would have sent him off today...
    Mul.... very anonymous. Should have made keeper pay for mistake. A player who will make up for it the next day
    FLAN.... Some nice scores but probably need to see more ball. The sweeper in front didnt help his cause. In 2018 he set up some amount of scores.
    Gillane... again sweeper didnt help his game. Not shooting the lights out from play. Serious injury concern now though

CASEY..... badly needed injection of pace. Few nice points and super catch.
    Reidy..... He did the same thing as in 19 against kk when through. Needs to finish those chances... not good enough for this level.
    Breen.... should have carried on to create a goal chance but easier talk here
    Ryan.... not on long enough.

My thoughts....be nice....was shaking for the last 20 mins so probably missed alot of what went on.

Great to be in final. Semi finals for winning. Waterford the most impressive team of weekend so all to play for. I would say its 55/45 in limericks favour only based on the experience of the players limerick have built up in the last 3 years. Waterford beat kk but if u took tj out of kk then they can be very ordinary.

LUIMNEACH ABU

That's about right, also wod with another one handed pull at the throw in, what is he thinking

Not often you concede 5 points to sidelines and they kept galway in touch, it needs to click, would be nice if the tension went out of them for the final

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

That's about right, also wod with another one handed pull at the throw in, what is he thinking

Not often you concede 5 points to sidelines and they kept galway in touch, it needs to click, would be nice if the tension went out of them for the final

Totally agree. The tension in most of them was something rotten. It was a malaise sweeping through the team. Byrnes scoring that free finally seemed to settle them . WOD is way too wild at throw in and some of his short passing or 'Brick' style passing was so bad. He did come good at the end but I feel the boys took on too much contact ...no need at times with free men. Kyle Hayes was guilty of it at the end when really they just need to be cute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭cave_dweller

He'll cut loose the next day

He was also very poor in the first half vs Waterford, although he played well in the second half tbf to him. He's a very good player and will likely start the final, but he's nowhere near the reckoning for hurler of the year. If the All Star team was being picked at the moment he wouldn't be in it imo. If Limerick win the final and hurler of the year comes from Limerick, I think Hegarty has a chance, Lynch possibly but Sean Finn would be my bet. He has been brilliant every single game. If he keeps Hutchinson quiet again and Limerick get over the line, he has a good chance.

Don't buy the "Limerick are happy to keep teams at arms length" guff. Limerick, imo, feared Galway scoring goals and were too focussed on trying to score goals that weren't really on rather than taking points and building a lead. the real composure they showed wasn't from 50 to 70 mins, it was from when Galway levelled the match to pull ahead again.

The Limerick defence swallowed up Galway, they didn't get near a goal chance. Neither did Waterford. I think Limerick will back themselves to not concede goals. Before this game, the main mark against Limerick was goals. I'm delighted they went for them, they need to. What ones did they miss that you'd have an issue with? The problem was that they didn't score them, not that they took the chance. Flanagan and Reidy are consistent missers of goal chances. The ball should have stayed low. If those goals go in, Limerick have hammered Galway and are viewed as unbeatable in the final. It's no harm they didn't blow Galway away as the hype would be in overdrive. They are playing well but the forwards are struggling a little. Plenty to work on to get them ready for two weeks because Waterford will be very hard to beat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

team for final

quaid
    finn
    morrissey
    nash
    hannon
    paddy o loughlin
    byrnes
    lynch
    dod
    morrissey
    hayes
    hegarty
    casey
    flanagan
    mulcahy

Watched back the game again. Limerick got away with alot of throws which Horgan will clamp down on more. WOD has tidied up his tackling but his passing 'Brick' style is awful. Hegartys card is marked. He doesn't need to live on the edge. If he gets a yellow before half time in the final it ll curtail his game. Limerick do tackle high and I can see why Kinnerk advocates that..it basically stops momentum and I can see why he let's them throw.
    Can we discuss the shooting..I thought that issue was largely solved. I think it was anxiety for most but it was infectious...Hegarty ,Morrissey missed 2 sitters in the last 10. I won't critique Reidy again (shouldn't be brought on at all in the final,not at the races) . Flanagans shots for goals were very tame..mo real technique or direction. O Donovans 2 misses were dire but I know he doesn't shoot much. Byrnes has become way more accurate..Hannon scores almost every shot he takes. Kyle Hayes has decided he doesnt need to shoot. I go on about it alot but to win the final there has to be a ruthless ness shown on the scoreboard which hasn't been there up to now.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,583 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Watched back the game again. Limerick got away with alot of throws which Horgan will clamp down on more. WOD has tidied up his tackling but his passing 'Brick' style is awful. Hegartys card is marked. He doesn't need to live on the edge. If he gets a yellow before half time in the final it ll curtail his game. Limerick do tackle high and I can see why Kinnerk advocates that..it basically stops momentum and I can see why he let's them throw.
    Can we discuss the shooting..I thought that issue was largely solved. I think it was anxiety for most but it was infectious...Hegarty ,Morrissey missed 2 sitters in the last 10. I won't critique Reidy again (shouldn't be brought on at all in the final,not at the races) . Flanagans shots for goals were very tame..mo real technique or direction. O Donovans 2 misses were dire but I know he doesn't shoot much. Byrnes has become way more accurate..Hannon scores almost every shot he takes. Kyle Hayes has decided he doesnt need to shoot. I go on about it alot but to win the final there has to be a ruthless ness shown on the scoreboard which hasn't been there up to now.

I agree with some of this but we are banging over round 30 points a game which is high by any standard.

Limerick v Galway was the highest scoring game without a goal in All Ireland history

• Advertisement

Anxiety is infectious though. I think Limerick were pretty scared of Galway last Sunday, and rightly so, some of these guys were on the minor team that lost to Galway in 2013 (I think? the years are flying away from me, where hawkeye wasn't used for a controversial missed point, iirc) and obviously Galway nearly beat Limerick late on in 2018. That they collectively overcame the anxiety to win out is super, though they'll have their work cut out in the final. No one I've talked to is taking Waterford for granted, which is good, imo.

I don't think Limerick were scared at all. We had 17 wides and scored 27 points. We also missed 3 great goal chances. There has been this theme that Limerick were tight or hanging on at the end, what game were people watching?! And Galway played with a sweeper, they set up to stop Limerick by taking away a player from their full forward line, which is their best line. If anything, Galway were so afraid of the damage Limerick would do they made it into a cagey game which Limerick still comfortably won. If we had been even a bit more accurate, we score a minimum of 2-30 and blow Galway away.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Anxiety is infectious though. I think Limerick were pretty scared of Galway last Sunday, and rightly so, some of these guys were on the minor team that lost to Galway in 2013 (I think? the years are flying away from me, where hawkeye wasn't used for a controversial missed point, iirc) and obviously Galway nearly beat Limerick late on in 2018. That they collectively overcame the anxiety to win out is super, though they'll have their work cut out in the final. No one I've talked to is taking Waterford for granted, which is good, imo.

I thought they were quite 'tight' aswell, perhaps last year was playing on their mind, but to go 9 minutes without a score at the start and another 10 mins or so in the second half is concerning. Anthony Daly mentioned before the 2016 minor ai final they trained at UL's astro pitch to get used to the faster Croke Park surface, with the handling errors and staying on their feet issues hopefully they have a look at that before the final.
    Big decision to make with Casey, do you start him and bench Mulcahy or leave him to come in as the impact sub, personally I'd leave him to come in, I think Mulcahy will make up for last day and Casey coming in could be a great boost after about 10 mins of the 2nd half.
    Definitely don't see any pundits getting over excited about Limerick which is good, most people predicting a tight game, the Limerick form will have to improve to carry this one off as a confident Waterford will bring a different challenge to the Galway game and even the Munster final.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,356 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

breezy1985 wrote: »
    I agree with some of this but we are banging over round 30 points a game which is high by any standard.

Limerick v Galway was the highest scoring game without a goal in All Ireland history

Ya - Complaining about some misses isn't a legit complaint to be making here.

Limerick take a higher shots per game than any other team so they are also including a lot of low percentage shots (which they have a decent success rate at), so it can be accepted to miss a few 'handy' ones

I hate when they give wides as a stat.
    Shot conversation rate is much better

callaway92 wrote: »
    Ya - Complaining about some misses isn't a legit complaint to be making here.

Limerick take a higher shots per game than any other team so they are also including a lot of low percentage shots (which they have a decent success rate at), so it can be accepted to miss a few 'handy' ones

Its a legitimate criticism. Were you saying that after the semi final last year? I doubt it. Everyone was talking about the misses including Kiely after that game. I get that they let off alot of shots...some low percentage. But many shots were missed that should have been scored.
    Like if they lost by a point to Galway the wides would be the number 1 talking point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Had this sent on to me today, in aid of Paul Carey's family. Might interest some of ye in case you hadn't come across it

https://www.gofundme.com/f/paul-carey-memorial-fund?utm_source=whatsApp&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=m_pd+share-sheet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭High bike

Any updates on Gillane,wonder did he take part in the training match today

• Registered Users Posts: 14,356 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Its a legitimate criticism. Were you saying that after the semi final last year? I doubt it. Everyone was talking about the misses including Kiely after that game. I get that they let off alot of shots...some low percentage. But many shots were missed that should have been scored.
    Like if they lost by a point to Galway the wides would be the number 1 talking point.

Your definition of ‘should’ may differ to others.

Unfortunately there isn’t enough data to gather correct ‘expected scores’ on but that’s something I’ve done for the Camogie Championship this year and hoping to gather for as many shots from the Hurling Championship this year too Post-Season with as much footage as I can get. Obviously for a proper realistic look though you’d want tens of thousands of XY data.

callaway92 wrote: »
    Your definition of ‘should’ may differ to others.

Unfortunately there isn’t enough data to gather correct ‘expected scores’ on but that’s something I’ve done for the Camogie Championship this year and hoping to gather for as many shots from the Hurling Championship this year too Post-Season with as much footage as I can get. Obviously for a proper realistic look though you’d want tens of thousands of XY data.

Thats fair enough. I suppose the type I'd be referring to would be Tom Morrisseys miss near the end from 30 yards...Hegartys from the same area..And the 65 from Gillane. Reidy ...im not going there...haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭lim4ev

I'm thinking kiely might pull a rabbit out of the hat on Friday I'm hearing English is flying in training he'd hardly start him would He???? I don't think so but if he was right English offers us so much it would allow Nash to go to 7 and hayes to 11( I know a lot like hayes at 7) I feel we need to shake it up a little whatever that is I dunno but we have been a little stale how much are we missing dowling lads??hopefully they'll do the business Sunday. I'd love to see Waterford win an all irl but not at our cost but if they win as devastated as I'd be I'd be the first to congratulate them.

lim4ev wrote: »
    I'm thinking kiely might pull a rabbit out of the hat on Friday I'm hearing English is flying in training he'd hardly start him would He???? I don't think so but if he was right English offers us so much it would allow Nash to go to 7 and hayes to 11( I know a lot like hayes at 7) I feel we need to shake it up a little whatever that is I dunno but we have been a little stale how much are we missing dowling lads??hopefully they'll do the business Sunday. I'd love to see Waterford win an all irl but not at our cost but if they win as devastated as I'd be I'd be the first to congratulate them.

I don't think he'll start, that move could be an option though if he comes on, although would you want to make changes in your full back, half back and half forward line all at once?
    Hopefully Gillane is fully fit and rearing to go, the half forward line has basically carried the team to the last 2 wins so looking for some moves to get full forward line firing this week-end.
    Both teams have had an in depth look at each other, question is who has learned more about each other's weaknesses since the last day.
    If it wasn't Limerick in the final definitely would want Waterford to end the famine but theres no friends in sport when awards are handed out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

I dont get the love in for Dowling he didnt any much had moments no doubt but surely the overall subs picture guys as good

It's obviously been overshadowed but u20s and minor hurlers(and footballers) are out this weekend against Cork X2 in the hurling and Waterford in the football. Hopefully either minors or u20s can get a win against the rebels and get to a Munster final, always good to keep competitive and a few lads are coming through every year.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

sasta le wrote: »
    I dont get the love in for Dowling he didnt any much had moments no doubt but surely the overall subs picture guys as good

Never ever drink and type...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭High bike

Same starting 15 for Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭billyhead

High bike wrote: »
    Same starting 15 for Sunday

I think our subs will make s big impact. Mulcahy underperformed the last day so I'm hoping he will have an influence on Sunday. Usually in AI finals a player steps up to the plate who wouldn't be expected to have a big game and bags the man of the match award. Perhaps WOD?

Id prefer to see Casey start. That full forward line isn't picked on form but I can see why Mulcahy starts. He never has two off days in a row. Still there doesn't look to be many goals in that full forward line. Flanagan, as good as he is can't really score goals. I hope he turns his man and just boots one in or something...Gillane has to play a big game aswell. I think he will. Could be a great game.

Interesting to see Nicky English call it for Waterford as Im pretty sure he is one of the pundits who has really rated this Limerick team since the start on 2018

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

h

Id prefer to see Casey start. That full forward line isn't picked on form but I can see why Mulcahy starts. He never has two off days in a row. Still there doesn't look to be many goals in that full forward line. Flanagan, as good as he is can't really score goals. I hope he turns his man and just boots one in or something...Gillane has to play a big game aswell. I think he will. Could be a great game.

How can you dismiss with such certainty that Flanagan ‘can’t score a goal’ and hope he resorts to the boot....? Even Michael Walsh of Waterford in his latter years managed to score a goal or two...? Gillane ‘has to play big game’......it’s not like he is the TJ of limerick and they have nobody else..?

How would you rate the limerick defense ‘teak tough’...?

Advertisement