Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does opposing a United Ireland automatically make you unpatriotic?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,185 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Well Leo doesn't seem to have a problem with it and doesn't think it will lose him any votes. That tell you anything?
    When a FG Taoiseach is talking positively about it, something is afoot, be assured of that

you dont think he is actually serious, do you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

He was more serious when he compared his first time in Downing Street to the antics of Hugh Grant's fictitious Prime Minister in schlocky Christmas staple Love Actually.

Could be worse, we could have elected and sent Danny Healy Rae or the lad from the south east in the pink t-shirt or the pot-smokin lad from the midlands (now an MEP) or some other lad who was never in the IRA, even though everyone knows he was.

Leo ain't the worst of the bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,247 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Being opposed to a United Ireland in principle is unpatriotic by definition. For example, how could a Scottish person be patriotic if he supported the annexation of Scotland? Goes against the definition of patriotism. Of course, there are those who are 26 county nationalists, so they would see themselves as patriots of the "Republic of Ireland". Clowns in otherwords

What is the definition of patriotism? From Wikipedia:

"Patriotism is the ideology of attachment to a homeland. This attachment can be a combination of many different features relating to one's own homeland, including ethnic, cultural, political or historical aspects. It encompasses a set of concepts closely related to those of nationalism.[1][2][3] An excess of patriotism in the defense of a nation is called chauvinism; another related term is jingoism."

We certainly see a lot of chauvinism and jingoism when it comes to Northern Ireland and unification.

What is our homeland? We have never had a united Ireland except under the rule of an English King. Should patriotism mean we rejoin the Commonwealth? Or should we yearning further back to when Cuige Uladh was its own kingdom separate from the rest of Ireland? Should we be embracing the future and swearing fealty to the European Union?

Patriotism is a moveable feast like nationalism, you cannot be definitive on it. Is it only patriotic to support GAA?

Frankly, patriotims suffers by its association with nationalism which is an outdated nonsense concept.

Well Leo doesn't seem to have a problem with it and doesn't think it will lose him any votes. That tell you anything?
    When a FG Taoiseach is talking positively about it, something is afoot, be assured of that

Do you agree with him that a united Ireland requires cross-community support in the North?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

My personal view is we should round up every protestant and tell them to hell or to england.

It happened the Irish and before people say it was a different time, was it really? They thought they were more advanced than years before them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,990 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

WTF????

Your posts here are absolutely idiotic. On a scale of 1 - 10 the above is ****ing off the charts. When asked to provide some evidence as to how the ROI would financially support NI you can't. Why? Because the ROI cannot financially support itself in any sort of sustainable way. As other posters have said, our entire economy revolves around property and tax breaks to foreign multinationals. The EU would in no way want or allow one of its member states taking on a financial sinkhole like NI.

Pease do us all a favour and crawl back under your Bobby Sands duvet cover.

this is all inaccurate. it will be in britain and the EU'S interest for north and south to reunify as one state. NI is in the way it is because britain is keeping it that way.
    My personal view is we should round up every protestant and tell them to hell or to england.

i have to disagree. protestants aren't the problem. 99% of them are good decent people. extreme loyalists are the problem and would be the candidates for your solution. those people would be in a small minority and don't even have support from their own community, who would gladly see the back of them.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,067 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Should patriotism be considered a virtue in the first place?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

eventually it's going to get to the stage where what the majority want or don't want won't matter. reunification will happen and it will be forced. britain wants out of NI and they will reduce spending on it accordingly and both it and the EU will force both north and south together via trade embargo's and sanctions if needs be. so people would be stupid not to vote for reunification as what britain and the EU will do if reunification doesn't happen would damage the country more then reunification ever could. reunification is going to happen, it would be better if it is voted for then forced.

This is one of the silliest posts I have seen on boards in a long time.

The UK have signed up to an international agreement - the GFA - that says they will respect the wishes of the majority of the people in Northern Ireland. There is no possible way that they can just get rid of Northern Ireland.

... and if they politely decline both options in favour of staying put?

• Registered Users Posts: 67,060 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

blanch152 wrote: »
    Do you agree with him that a united Ireland requires cross-community support in the North?

Those who signed up to the GFA agreed to support the majority of the people's decision when it comes to a vote.
    So cross community support will be there.
    As there will be for a failed vote.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

Should patriotism be considered a virtue in the first place?

Good point, most of the worst crimes committed during the troubles were committed by "patriots" / those who considered themselves the most patriotic.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

... and if they politely decline both options in favour of staying put?

Do you not know your own history we kill them to hell. That's what the whole to hell or to england means.

Do you not know your own history we kill them to hell. That's what the whole to hell or to england means.

I wondered if that's what you meant. As to me knowing my own history (and by "my own" you'd mean European in my case) then yes, yes I do - and that knowledge tells me it's been attempted twice over the the last century or so and ending the same way on both occasions: millions of murders and several "patriots" standing trial for war crimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭Panrich

SeanSouth wrote: »
    United Ireland will never happen as a stand alone event. I don't want it and nobody that I know, wants it. The unionists don't want it and dare i say that most of the catholic community in NI doesn't want it. SinnFein and the British government want it !!

The only sensible progression would be to unite the entire island of Ireland with the entire island of Britain. We need the Britts to sort out the political messes in this country. How long more can our gombeen politicians be entrusted with the failed health service, the failed police force, the homeless crises, the infrastructure crisis etc etc etc.

You mean the likes of May Davis Johnson and Gove?

No thanks.

you dont think he is actually serious, do you?

A FG Taoiseach being 'serious'?

No, not at all, FG politicians will play games with northern Ireland people and use it as a bandwagon. He is indeed being mercenary.

What do you think is motivating his comments? He's climbing onto a bandwagon which is heading inexorably to where he wants to be and he knows it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

I'm getting kinda sick of all these "United Ireland" trolls....zzzzzzzz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

A FG Taoiseach being 'serious'?

No, not at all, FG politicians will play games with northern Ireland people and use it as a bandwagon. He is indeed being mercenary.

What do you think is motivating his comments? He's climbing onto a bandwagon which is heading inexorably to where he wants to be and he knows it.

word.jpg?w=1000

I think you mean incendiary :D:D:D

Jawgap wrote: »

I think you mean incendiary :D:D:D

I have no doubt that Unionists and their fellow travellers might find it 'incendiary' (bless their little insecure snowflake identities :) ) but I assure you I meant 'mercenary'.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭All My Stars Aligned

i have to disagree. protestants aren't the problem. 99% of them are good decent people. extreme loyalists are the problem and would be the candidates for your solution. those people would be in a small minority and don't even have support from their own community, who would gladly see the back of them.

From about 1986 onward the PIRA did not have the support from their own community and never had the support of the people of the ROI. This didn't stop the murdering terrorists though. BTW, there's a difference between having support and being feared.

And as for your theory about the US and GB forcing UI, you are talking through your hoop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Obi_Wan_Kenobi

Absolutely not, I'm Irish and would not want the 6 counties back.

The amount of hassle it would cause and the cost !!

NAh, keep them in the UK thanks.

Another question is: why world the unionists want to be a part of a United Ireland?

Another question is: why world the unionists want to be a part of a United Ireland?

Well their name should give you a clue. They are British Unionists. Of course they would prefer to stay in the UK.
    But northern Ireland has always been a contested space and unionists as well as nationalists signed up to the GFA.
    That agreement states that both sides will agree to abide by the majority decision.

Well their name should give you a clue. They are British Unionists. Of course they would prefer to stay in the UK.
    But northern Ireland has always been a contested space and unionists as well as nationalists signed up to the GFA.
    That agreement states that both sides will agree to abide by the majority decision.
    Question was 'why'?

My point is: it's a bit rich to decry people for not being patriotic and then to steamroll over someone else's patriotism simply because they're in a minority.

Question was 'why'?

My point is: it's a bit rich to decry people for not being patriotic and then to steamroll over someone else's patriotism simply because they're in a minority.

Whose is going to steamroll anybody? It will be a democratic vote based on a hard fought internationally binding agreement which some people haven't seemed to have read before signing up to it.

Indeed, especially if it's the type of UI that this patriot, McElduff, advocates.....

https://twitter.com/adstack68/status/949680982462025728

• Registered Users Posts: 28,990 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

From about 1986 onward the PIRA did not have the support from their own community and never had the support of the people of the ROI. This didn't stop the murdering terrorists though. BTW, there's a difference between having support and being feared.

And as for your theory about the US and GB forcing UI, you are talking through your hoop.

the provos who were freedom fighters (bar the few elements who did commit terrorism via targeting civilians) had a lot of support from people in the ROI. plenty of people supported them, even if they didn't admit to it.
    the theory that the EU and britain would "encourage" reunification isn't "talking through one's hoop" but a very possible theory.
    the loyalist extremists are not going to be able to sustain a campaign like that of the troubles.
    Absolutely not, I'm Irish and would not want the 6 counties back.

The amount of hassle it would cause and the cost !!

NAh, keep them in the UK thanks.

the cost would be small. it's blown out of proportion and dragged out as a last ditch attempt as to barely scrape together an argument against reunification is there is no argument against it.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

the provos who were freedom fighters (bar the few elements who did commit terrorism via targeting civilians) had a lot of support from people in the ROI. plenty of people supported them, even if they didn't admit to it.
    the theory that the EU and britain would "encourage" reunification isn't "talking through one's hoop" but a very possible theory.
    the loyalist extremists are not going to be able to sustain a campaign like that of the troubles.

the cost would be small. it's blown out of proportion and dragged out as a last ditch attempt as to barely scrape together an argument against reunification is there is no argument against it.

They were terrorists, not freedom fighters.

So under a post about Kingsmill you write that the Provos were freedom fighters?

What about the murdering of Gardai and unarmed Irish soldiers? What were those who murdered fellow Irishmen?

• Advertisement

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    They were terrorists, not freedom fighters.

What is a 'terrorist'?

Advertisement