Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it time for mass protest at the housing crisis?

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

BattleCorp wrote: »
    How?
    Who builds them?
    Where will they be built?
    Who pays for them?

It's not that simple.

It's very simple. Someone on the first page said the government should give everyone a free house, doesn't get simpler than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

FTA69 wrote: »
    Nah it's the private companies that are charging me the highest transport and energy bills in Europe who are p*ssing me off, likewise the ones who are ruining my health system and gutting my public services while treating their workers like sh*t. They're the ones I've a problem with at present.

Why don't we just nationalize everything then.

How do you suggest the country generates an income in this case?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

can you actually blame these people the “cute hoors”? sure dont they learn from the best i.e our politicians? This situation the more I think about it, becomes even more scandalous! thousands not working or working, can get homes for virtually free, free if you are on welfare! the other hundreds of thousands, even on relatively low incomes , have to pay insane private market rates to rent or buy or rent a bedroom! They marched in their droves against water against a euro a day, yet we allow this scandal to continue and to be fleeced! prices for homes rose by €107 a day in Dublin in the past 12 months and €57 excluding Dublin, factor in interest over the course of 30 years and you can double those figures! Dont worry though you early risers and hard workers, if you are on roughly the average industrial wage, FG will be giving a €5 weekly USC cut… Thats enough to buy the support of the masses! We are some f**cking idiots in this country!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Idbatterim wrote: »
    They marched in their droves against water against a euro a day, yet we allow this scandal to continue and to be fleeced!

In the case of IW, everyone was affected from the same time and even still, only a proportion were motivated enough to take to the streets with two legitimate questions; 'why at all, we've already paid for water elsewhere' and 'why now if you're claiming it's just about water infrastructure, the country's on its knees and can wait just as it has for decades'.

There are just a handful of root causes for the housing crisis [or its full title, the housing crisis affecting certain demographics today] - the lack of margin for private sector developers & builders and the 'working poor' problem in Ireland- people who would have hitherto just gone to banks for mortgages are now being turned away. This is a chicken and egg problem - not enough people in certain demographics have the cash to incentivise building. No building happens. The demand for existing stock goes up and away and prices go wild which negatively affects the especially stretched young, lower middle class (who probably don't have generational wealth to assist them).

I feel I'm qualified to comment on the working poor problem. I got the best job I could get in 2014 at 31 given my construction industry skills were worthless - which was completing outsourced government backroom administrative work for €18,500pa (literally necessary work previously completed by public facing civil servants). I had to save €300/mth towards fees for my part time degree which I began two weeks after starting the job. When I factored in all my travel expenses too (I was living at home), I was literally working full time for €45/wk compared to staying at home and playing World of Warcraft and remaining ambitionless. I did this for 2.5 years, attempting to find better jobs over the summers but I found nothing available to me that would allow me to advance - it was all contracts for modest wages and lots of competition meaning it's difficult to break into new areas having upskilled or retrained. It is still this way today.

I would compare the hardship that many swathes of people (a minority of the population but a significant proportion of certain demographics) as being in absolute denial. I see it all around me. I'm in it myself. Just because you made the right choices, found yourself in the right circumstances at the right time does not mean that people who should be getting themselves housed, cannot, for reasons beyond their control. You should be sympathising, not judging. That does not mean that there aren't scroungers - there is and always will be them. But seriously, show some gratitude for having luck to put with your hard work because all I can see ahead of me is hard work and little reward. Don't be under any illusions, there are hoards of people doing everything they possibly can to get ahead and just simply failing.

Advertisement