Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaking: At least 1 man dead after stabbing rampage in Dundalk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Hammeron Frazier

Regardless of the attackers probable skin colour/ethnicity, regardless of his probable religion, and also since the details are yet to emerge, lets not jump to conclusions shall we?

However at first glance this does look like what has been happening all over Europe for the past couple of years, does it not?

Expect to hear more of the "sure Irish people stab other people too" line of thinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Jobs OXO wrote: »
    A lot of these folk seem deranged. Why take the risk and let them in? They are obviously not compatible with social norms in the west and would be more at ease among their own kind.

Maybe they shouldve just sent this lad to limerick?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,728 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

If this had happened in London it would be getting more reactions on here.
    Also if the 3 places being mentioned are where the stabbings happened then the Gardai were not very efficient in tracking him down.

Well that is true, we have to wait and see what the response time is.
    TV3 say the Gardai are investigating if it is terror related.

The dead man who was stabbed is believed to be a Japanese national.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭triple nipple

Red_Wake wrote:
    Pretty sure the attacker was just after leaving the cinema before he started his rampage.

Maybe he saw the new Star Wars

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

it was only a matter of time before this happened.

Before what happened?
    Unfortunately we're very used to knife crime in Ireland.
    If you are referring to random stabbings, we've had them here before too...
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/dublin-man-jailed-for-six-years-for-random-stab-attacks-30430304.html

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Before what happened?
    Unfortunately we're very used to knife crime in Ireland.
    If you are referring to random stabbings, we've had them here before too...
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/dublin-man-jailed-for-six-years-for-random-stab-attacks-30430304.html

The motivation for the stabbings is what deems it terrorism or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

For those upset about so-called agendas being pushed forward, hearing the usual cries for not speculating and jumping to conclusions is equally infuriating.

Imagine seeing strong evidence of potential problem and those around you put their hands over their eyes and fingers in their ears, awaiting for said problem to be confirmed before reacting.

The discussion of one extreme scenario should not be stifled by the alternative extreme viewpoint of another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

If this had happened in London it would be getting more reactions on here.
    Also if the 3 places being mentioned are where the stabbings happened then the Gardai were not very efficient in tracking him down.

There's not much detail to react to though, and I don't mean that as an attempt to downplay the tragedy or the likelihood of it being a terrorist attack, it's just that the gards are saying nathin.

One Japanese man dead, two other people injured, Syrian man in custody on suspicion of murder.

Briefing at 3pm and they can hold him for 24 hours, hopefully we'll know more then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

RobertKK wrote: »
    The dead man who was stabbed is believed to be a Japanese national.

Yes I heard on early buttetins it was an Asian person and my first thought's were of triads or something like that which did happen some years back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

dieselbug wrote: »
    Yes I heard that on early bulletins and my first tought's were of triads or something like that which did happen some years back.

the Yakuza in Dundalk? sounds like more of a punishment than an assignment...

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

What are you talking about, the 3 places could be (and I think are) less than 1 - 2 minutes from each other. How do you expect them to arrive at an incident quicker than that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

doylefe wrote: »
    What are you talking about, the 3 places could be (and I think are) less than 1 - 2 minutes from each other. How do you expect them to arrive at an incident quicker than that?

He was talking ****e!

The Gardai in Dundalk are afraid to enter some housing estates in town so Im surprised and happy they got this lunatic quick

The three scenes mentioned: https://www.google.ie/maps/dir/avenue+road/Seatown,+Dundalk,+Co.+Louth/@54.0004495,-6.4026321,15z/data=!4m19!4m18!1m10!1m1!1s0x4860cc2e2fd1f3b9:0x4a89321f1aa28a9f!2m2!1d-6.3884445!2d53.9948004!3m4!1m2!1d-6.3785854!2d53.9963248!3s0x4860cc25bdb9c137:0x3700b87720727b4d!1m5!1m1!1s0x4860cea1a49fa2fb:0x7e63acc3299d5835!2m2!1d-6.3960974!2d54.0058016!3e2

Good luck getting from the Avenue Road to Seatown via the bypass in 1-2 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,154 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Yes I heard that on early bulletins and my first tought's were of triads or something like that which did happen some years back.

triads are chinese not japanese

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

There is about a km of a walk between Seatown and the area of the Avenue Rd/Inner Relief Road where this happened. Even in a car at that time of the morning it could be a 10 minute drive.

They didn't say Japanese just Asian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

So possibly some sort of power struggle between the triads and the Yakuza for control of the Dundalk underworld.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭6541

If some middle eastern bloke came within 5 meters of me I would politely ask him to stop his approach. If he did not cease at this point he better have a really big knife and know how to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

He was talking ****e!

The Gardai in Dundalk are afraid to enter some housing estates in town so Im surprised and happy they got this lunatic quick

Talk about hysteria! There is as much in this comment as any other in this thread. If you said 'dont bother' or they take their time on a call out then maybe!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Well this is what lax immigration policies has led to clearly far too many criminals have been allowed in we really should have gone down the Aussie route.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,154 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

They didn't say Japanese just Asian.

the post you responded to said Japanese

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Maybe they shouldve just sent this lad to limerick?

Stupid ignorant comment if i knew how to report a post i would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Jobs OXO wrote: »
    One is too many

Are we deporting and preventing any Poles entering the country?

How many stabbings the last week got their own thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Interesting and saddening, terrible for victim's family hopefully arrangements for them go smoothly.

If this is a terrorist attack, and as proper vetting of these war relief refugees is impossible, for the safety of the people here I wouldn't be against a total ban on refugees from these regions.

the post you responded to said Japanese

Edited ;)

Went for a spin, saw nothing in Seatown, Avenue Road is closed and there's two areas on the bypass sealed off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Can we wait until we have concrete facts at least before losing the run of ourselves?

And let an opportunity to engage in some good old Muslim bashing go by? That's far too much to ask. If it comes to the fore that the travelling community were involved, it'll be like Christmas all over again for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

6541 wrote: »
    If some middle eastern bloke came within 5 meters of me I would politely ask him to stop his approach. If he did not cease at this point he better have a really big knife and know how to use it.

Because you'll batter/shoot/stab him for asking for the time/directions/spare change?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Nesta99 wrote: »
    Talk about hysteria! There is as much in this comment as any other in this thread. If you said 'dont bother' or they take their time on a call out then maybe!

The gardai dont go into certain parts of Doolargy and Coxes! Fact!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement