Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaking: At least 1 man dead after stabbing rampage in Dundalk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

kaymin wrote: »
    Not aware that information is available to the public. At a guess it may be because he claimed to be a Syrian refugee but is in fact Egyptian.

At the very least I expect the DoJ to have screened him before allowing him in and to have taken account of the reasons why he was refused refugee status in the UK.
    So there's no information as to whether or not he entered Ireland legally? If it was legally, I'd be very interested as to why he was refused entry into the UK and allowed into Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Pac1Man wrote: »
    If I hear of a Muslim man commit a murder in a western country, my interest is immediately piqued because of the hard evidence over the last 5-10 years suggest it could be a terrorist act. Don't be so naive.

So the police have stated the attacker was a muslim have they?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

Maybe he came in through England and NI....then the DoJ has nothing to do with it.

Unless of course you want a closed border again.

It appears he's asylum claim was rejected in the UK.

Personally I favour a hard border post brexit, the majority of asylum seekers we get here enter via ferries from the UK and come across the border, large numbers of Pakistani and Africans who have failed in the UK. This needs to be stopped and border checks are the only solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

An Egyptian travelling to Ireland from UK does not currently have freedom of travel especially if he has been refused refugee status in the UK. You are being hysterical if you think exercising existing border controls for such persons amounts to a closed border.

Anyone can get on a boat and travel from mainland UK to NI without too many checks if any. Then they can get on the bus and come down the road without any problems at all...

Only way he could have been checked/prevented from entering the republic would be if the old border was in place. Something I am strongly against....

Only way you can prevent these people getting so far is to secure the EUs eastern borders and to make sure the likes of Merkel and co put an end to there every one is welcome politic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

conorhal wrote: »

Whats your source on this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Odhinn wrote: »
    Where are we getting the "refused refugee status in the UK" from?

\Have it here
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/0103/930792-dundalk-death/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

you mean if he'd fecked off back to his own country???...................................

Poor fella is dead

He's referring to Japan's strict immigration policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

you mean if he'd fecked off back to his own country???...................................

Poor fella is dead

Not at all what my point was. The guy must have thought Ireland is a similar first world country with sensible immigration laws - for example if you are from a country that exports terrorists, usually of the Muslim kind, you should be profiled and more extensively vetted than those from other countries.

It's not that hard a concept to grasp. But that's rayyycist apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭kaymin

So there's no information as to whether or not he entered Ireland legally? If it was legally, I'd be very interested as to why he was refused entry into the UK and allowed into Ireland.

Agreed. No matter what the DoJ have much to answer for.

pilly wrote: »
    So the police have stated the attacker was a muslim have they?

Well he is Egyptian, so I guess you can cross your fingers and hope he's not part of the 90% of their Muslim population I guess, but something tells me you wouldn't be putting money on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Personally I favour a hard border post brexit, the majority of asylum seekers we get here enter via ferries from the UK and come across the border, large numbers of Pakistani and Africans who have failed in the UK. This needs to be stopped and border checks are the only solution.

And for those of us who have to live beside the border what do you suggest?

Hard border doesnt work (too long, too many crossings, too divisive to communities) and is an incredibly dumb idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Agreed. No matter what the DoJ have much to answer for.
    In the context of this murder, what do the DoJ have to answer for?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Does anyone remember the halcyon days when the 'fugees were only filling us softly, with their songs the IRA were the only people killing people in Dundalk.

That's what I thought you were going to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

Precautions need to be taken in case of vehicular attacks. That'll be next and much higher casualties will result.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I'm convinced that some posters on here won't admit there's a problem brewing here in Ireland until someone takes an articulated lorry and drives it the length of grafton St mowing people down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

Odhinn wrote: »

Christ, what a (totally unsurprising) disaster

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Yeah I didn't do that though

You blame him for radicalisation, dont you? He is the red cloth, isnt he?
    Because that is only happening since January 18th 2017

Just stop shoehorning Trump into each and every discussion to take the focus of the people who are really responsible for this ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Grayson wrote: »

There we have it. Who had the IRA? Cross it off and wait for the peanut allergy and you could win big.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,068 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Grayson wrote: »

Feck. I had a typo. "killing us softly"

"filling us softly" might be misinterpreted as sexy time

I'm with Patrick Guinness on the filling, softly or otherwise - however you'd like it ma'am - of sexy 20 something Syrian ladies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Omackeral wrote: »
    Was that person ever caught?

Yes, a 15 yo headcase

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭kaymin

In the context of this murder, what do the DoJ have to answer for?

The DoJ are in control of our borders. They allowed this person into our country. If they didn't do that then this murder would not have happened. Is that clear enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I'm convinced that some posters on here won't admit there's a problem brewing here in Ireland until someone takes an articulated lorry and drives it the length of grafton St mowing people down.

Oh, there is a problem across Europe and beyond but it won't be solved by closing borders or banning Islam. Or posting bigotted comments on a message board.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,068 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Sure they can't - isn't there loads of "no turn right" signs now onto Dame St to get around the front of Trinity?

I wouldn't be so sure, they'e had the 'trucks of peace' rolling through France, Sweden, Germany and the UK all in the last year and instead of a policy change you get told 'ah sure that's just the new normal now'.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Trump could be about to tweet about Dundalk. Have to say I never thought I'd see it.

Lux23 wrote: »
    Oh, there is a problem across Europe and beyond but it won't be solved by closing borders or banning Islam. Or posting bigotted comments on a message board.

It won't? Tell it to the Pole's, Hungarian's and Czech's so. 'Walls don't work' they say, except where they actually work it seems.

Lux23 wrote: »
    Silly. Did they cover the other stabbings we have every day of the fecking week?
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Well he is Egyptian, so I guess you can cross your fingers and hope he's not part of the 90% of their Muslim population I guess, but something tells me you wouldn't be putting money on it.

He was Syrian an hour ago, so in other words we know nothing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement