Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaking: At least 1 man dead after stabbing rampage in Dundalk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

kaymin wrote: »
    The DoJ are in control of our borders. They allowed this person into our country. If they didn't do that then this murder would not have happened. Is that clear enough?

Depends on how he got in. If it was through official channels, then they would be applying laws made by politicians. If it wasn't through official channels then it has nothing to do with them. If it was down to individual error or lack of enforcement of law, then the DoJ has questions to answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

inforfun wrote: »
    You blame him for radicalisation, dont you? He is the red cloth, isnt he?
    Because that is only happening since January 18th 2017

Just stop shoehorning Trump into each and every discussion to take the focus of the people who are really responsible for this ****.

I shoehorned him in did I. Even though you were the one who brought him up. Go on and search "Trump" in my post history, see how many mentions you find :)

And the actual answer to both your questions is no.

For the sake of my faith in human intelligence I really hope you have me mixed up with someone else and I'm not just in the way of your blind flailing in the general direction of Merkel and Clinton. Would you like to angrily and incorrectly tell me what I think of them too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Ilovethe bonesofyou

2smiggy wrote:
    I thought they are all well qualified doctors etc coming over from Syria ?

Because Irish people are never involved in stabbings. I mean we don't even have a city that was nicknamed stab city.

Also, love the way the Syria bit was in bold in the op, just to really drive home what this incident is about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

Lux23 wrote: »
    Silly. Did they cover the other stabbings we have every day of the fecking week?

Were there terrorist attacks with randomly selected victims every day this week?

Deflect, deny, whatabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Hammeron Frazier

pilly wrote: »
    So the police have stated the attacker was a muslim have they?

Well, if he was a Coptic Christian then it would be a puzzling debacle wouldn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Gaia Mother Earth

I think it's about time we tightened up our borders. No other nationalities to enter unless they have pre approved Visas coming from a very strict vetting process and only if they're an asset to the country in terms of work and skills.

Not this crap of letting loop loops in and worry about it later malarkey.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Were there terrorist attacks with randomly selected victims every day this week?

Deflect, deny, whatabout.

Are you claiming that an Irish person has never randomly stabbed someone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

Silly. Did they cover the other stabbings we have every day of the fecking week?

No why would they. This is Islamist terrorism on our democracy.

Well, if he was a Coptic Christian then it would be a puzzling debacle wouldn't it?

Another re-reg? Hmm, loads about today it seems. Wonder why?

Jobs OXO wrote: »
    No why would they. This is Islamist terrorism on our democracy.

Would you get a grip. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Can you point out the random stabbing/murder sprees that apparently happen 'every day of the feckin week' so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

there was, rightly, uproar when some lunatic went berserk with a knife at the Skrillex Swedish House Mafia concert a few years ago.

You didn't see all these knife crime apologists out in force then.

Can you point out the random stabbing/murder sprees that apparently happen 'every day of the feckin week' so?

So you don't have an answer to the question then no?

there was, rightly, uproar when some lunatic went berserk with a knife at the Skrillex concert a few years ago.

You didn't see all these knife crime apologists out in force then.

Who's apologising for anyone? Please point out a defence of stabbers made by me or indeed anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

conorhal wrote: »
    It won't? Tell it to the Pole's, Hungarian's and Czech's so. 'Walls don't work' they say, except where they actually work it seems.

Funny that the UK never closed their borders on us, perhaps they should have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

I'm convinced that some posters on here won't admit there's a problem brewing here in Ireland until someone takes an articulated lorry and drives it the length of grafton St mowing people down.

One could drive a lorry down Grafton Street and mow down a few dozen

Another few could simultaneously shoot up Dundrum shopping centre

Yet you'd still have people here just staring ahead repeating "diversity is our strength"

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Hammeron Frazier

Another re-reg? Hmm, loads about today it seems. Wonder why?

Not a re-reg, first time poster, sorry if that disappoints you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Come on in lads. No need for the Trojan horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭ebbsy

So how did he get into Ireland then ?

Probably like all the rest of the refugees etc, YOU CANNOT VET THESE PEOPLE.

Trump was right all along.

So you don't have an answer to the question then no?

Yes Irish people stab other Irish people. This is apparently a terrorist attack involving multiple random victims in the vein of other Islamic terrorist attacks which have occurred across europe.

You know, the ones people warned would happen while being shouted down as racists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭kaymin

Depends on how he got in. If it was through official channels, then they would be applying laws made by politicians. If it wasn't through official channels then it has nothing to do with them. If it was down to individual error or lack of enforcement of law, then the DoJ has questions to answer.

You seem to suggest DoJ has no responsibility for fixing weaknesses in our laws. I disagree. The minister for justice changes every few years whereas the department officials have tenures in the decades. They have a responsibility to influence the minister for justice to address weaknesses in our border control laws.

The minister for justice is also accountable - I raised weak refugee background checks with Fitzgerald when she came to my door canvassing - her response showed me how weak and clueless she really was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Dr Brown wrote: »
    The do gooders now have blood on their hands.

The crime scene cleaners? Admirable job but they would have been wearing gloves anyway.

you are absolutely correct, there should have been more stringent border crossings certainly between both Islands, during the troubles.

Would have prevented Birmingham, Guildford and Warrington among other atrocities.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

Why? I thought N. Ireland, the source of their republican terrorism problem was within their own borders and perpetrated by their own citizens :confused:

you are absolutely correct, there should have been more stringent border crossings certainly between both Islands, during the troubles.

Would have prevented Birmingham, Guildford and Warrington among other atrocities.

Well, there is a new one, people who are so racist they're now calling for greater checks for themselves to make a point. :rolleyes:

conorhal wrote: »
    Why? I thought N. Ireland, the source of their republican terrorism problem was within their own borders and perpetrated by their own citizens :confused:

Well no, there were members of the IRA from the Republic.

Well, there is a new one, people who are so racist they're now calling for greater checks for themselves to make a point. :rolleyes:

U wot m8?

I was talking about the specific period of the troubles. Not today. Do keep up love. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

kaymin wrote: »
    You seem to suggest DoJ has no responsibility for fixing weaknesses in our laws. I disagree. The minister for justice changes every few years whereas the department officials have tenures in the decades. They have a responsibility to influence the minister for justice to address weaknesses in our border control laws.

The minister for justice is also accountable - I raised weak refugee background checks with Fitzgerald when she came to my door canvassing - her response showed me how weak and clueless she really was.

If you are unhappy with our immigration/refugee laws as they stand, then vote for somebody who agrees with your political views or get elected.

The DoJ has responsibility for reporting systemic 'weaknesses' to the Minister. It has no responsibility for amending laws and you should be thankful for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

We don't know who has perpetrated this. Until we do speculation is all we can do.

People speculate all the time, I don't see why this has to be any different. What's important is that there;s no knee-jerk overreaction.

We are a small country and have zero capacity for migrants. There are 5,000 people on homeless lists and probably ten times more on housing lists. I have huge regard for multiculturalism - but we do have to look after our own first. However, since a high level decision has been made to open our doors just a crack, here's how it could be done right.

Any refugee who comes to Ireland is doomed to inhumane treatment in Mosney or relocation to a hotel in the sticks. That is not integration, it's ghettos. These approaches utterly defeat any reasoning for taking people in en masse, bar the numbers, which of course, is all the government and EU seem to care about. It's all for show.

The proper way to integrate people to any society is to plan their arrival. Not at the expense or displacement of anyone already there, and with the correct supports in place from the get go. The reason this doesn't happen is because in Ireland such things are too complex for our politicians, and because it doesn't fix the local potholes our puny-minded electorate can't be bothered to vote for anyone else despite all these issues, which they can't fathom yet have massive effects on us like (probably) what has happened in Dundalk.

There are a few suitable reactions if the rumours are correct, and this was a terrorist incident.

1/ As much as I'm for balance in the long run, the first immediate priority has to be to protect people. Every Garda to have at least a taser and serious consideration to arming them all. We could have more people injured and a dead Guard if by all accounts it weren't for some heroics today. There are other security measures like closing the doors completely (or at least requiring vetting) which might be of use. In the long term though, see point 3.

2/ Close Mosney and similar centres, at least to new arrivals. Its residents are being mistreated by squalor and delay to their asylum applications. This sort of treatment undoubtedly breeds mistrust and resentment and those feelings are part of what lead people to become radicalised. The fact that they can't work and are probably bored ****less can't help either.

3/ Continue to settle people by all means, but on an individual family basis. Don't group them in hotels or repurposed gym halls. This does no one any good in the long term. Integration is about making the new arrivals part of the community, not the community part of them. Reading about Germany being overrun and 3% of their population being taken in over just a year or two is this exemplified. That what happened on new years' eve in Cologne 2 years ago was even possible is a failure of the German nation as much as it is the people who did what they did when at home, whatever we might think of it, this would be normal and no effort has been made to educate them otherwise.

In the short term, a pragmatic approach must be taken to any potential targets, but let's face it, the Dundalk Inner Relief Road was never going to be top of that list and such measures are just damage control. The solution is in proper social policy, not more barriers and witch hunts. If that social policy is to refuse more migrants then so be it, but in more places than Ireland, the liberal vs far right opinions need to find a middle ground, and find them fast.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

I shoehorned him in did I. Even though you were the one who brought him up. Go on and search "Trump" in my post history, see how many mentions you find :)

And the actual answer to both your questions is no.

For the sake of my faith in human intelligence I really hope you have me mixed up with someone else and I'm not just in the way of your blind flailing in the general direction of Merkel and Clinton. Would you like to angrily and incorrectly tell me what I think of them too?

I brought him up?
    My very first post in this thread is the one where i quote your post where you mention Trump "being to radicalisation as what Bloody Sunday is to the Ra"

And for the rest... no, you're golden.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement