Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nvidia Shield - Tips & tricks [Read post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Anybody try this app on their shield guys?

https://smartyoutubetv.github.io/

It's supposed to be an ad free version of YouTube

Yep have it on the shield and no adds and updates regularly. Can sign into yt account

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭bozharry1

Hi everyone.Anyone get the new shield pro yet?Is it any good?I have been using the shield from the very first release and it does everything for me,Iptv and bbc itv rte players.Just wondering weather to get the 2019 pro?Also on another note,Does anyone have Uktv Play or 5on demand working?Thanks for any guidance.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

Yep have it on the shield and no adds and updates regularly. Can sign into yt account

Thanks for your reply.

Do you have to disable the regular YouTube app to use this one?

Any other benefits compared to the official YouTube app?

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

bozharry1 wrote: »
    Hi everyone.Anyone get the new shield pro yet?Is it any good?I have been using the shield from the very first release and it does everything for me,Iptv and bbc itv rte players.Just wondering weather to get the 2019 pro?Also on another note,Does anyone have Uktv Play or 5on demand working?Thanks for any guidance.

The new Pro isn't an upgrade on the older models, it performs the same

So would you not buy?I like the ai upscaleing and new fancy remote.Just like new stuff.HA Ha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Thanks for your reply.

Cheers

Didn't disable regular YT app. Have vanced YT on phone so add favourites on there for kids so can watch it on TV using shield.

Advantage no adds and goes straight in no waiting

So would you not buy?I like the ai upscaleing and new fancy remote.Just like new stuff.HA Ha

If that's what you want. For someone who games you can get a 2017 with a gaming controller for less money. I use a Logitech Harmony so the remote doesn't appeal to me at all and anyway the remote could be bought for 30 quid later (not available yet but coming)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭larchielads

Can anyone watch rte player live channels with shield? Downloaded the app from shield playstore but no live section on the app

• Registered Users Posts: 8,668 ✭✭✭corks finest

Can anyone watch rte player live channels with shield? Downloaded the app from shield playstore but no live section on the app

Not me

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭yellowbear

Thanks for your reply.

Cheers

I have it too. Have disabled the regular YouTube app but you don't have to as far as I know. The main reason I use it is for the ad removal can't think of any other benefits but think that's as good a reason as any.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Sparko

My Shield just burnt out another usb key. I was using it for extra storage but I think it must get too hot. Have an SSD enclosure on the way now, no more usb keys for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Sparko wrote: »
    My Shield just burnt out another usb key. I was using it for extra storage but I think it must get too hot. Have an SSD enclosure on the way now, no more usb keys for me.

I have posted on this before,You can use a USB key but need to connect it to the port on the Shield via a USB extension cable.
    I burnt out a USB stick about a year or so ago and replaced and connected with the extension and no issues since.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 eoneill

When installing Smartyoutubetv and tried to open it,

it asks to install......"Crosswalk Project".

What is that and is it ok? I never heard of it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭chewed

anyone else having issues with Emby on the Shield? It suddenly stopped working for me (wouldn't load), so I tried rebooting server from my media PC but still didn't load so uninstalled and reinstalled it. Now I can't get access to the server again. When I load up the app, an error appears at the bottom of the screen - java.lang.illegalstateexception expected BEGIN_ARRAY but was STRING at line 1 column 1 path $

IT won't recognize the server either or let me connect with the server address!

chewed wrote: »
    anyone else having issues with Emby on the Shield? It suddenly stopped working for me (wouldn't load), so I tried rebooting server from my media PC but still didn't load so uninstalled and reinstalled it. Now I can't get access to the server again. When I load up the app, an error appears at the bottom of the screen - java.lang.illegalstateexception expected BEGIN_ARRAY but was STRING at line 1 column 1 path $

IT won't recognize the server either or let me connect with the server address!

Emby working perfect for me, I've watched a few things this evening. The Android TV app was updated a few days ago to coincide with the Emby server update to 4.3.0.26. Make sure your app is updated to the latest

Emby working perfect for me, I've watched a few things this evening. The Android TV app was updated a few days ago to coincide with the Emby server update to 4.3.0.26. Make sure your app is updated to the latest

OK cheers. I can't get anything working for some reason. It sees my server, but when I try to choose it, it says it can't respond.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭JDxtra

My Plex had a similar issue. Couldn't connect to the server local or remote. Didn't make any changes, just stopped working.

JDxtra wrote: »
    My Plex had a similar issue. Couldn't connect to the server local or remote. Didn't make any changes, just stopped working.

Same here! And that's the reason I moved to Emby. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭JDxtra

chewed wrote: »
    Same here! And that's the reason I moved to Emby. :confused:
    In the end, I just reset the Shield. Not ideal, but has been working fine since.

So, I just turned on the Shield this morning and for some reason Emby is now working! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,644 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Just got an email from Nvidia re: the new shield remote.
    Will be available to buy separately from early January 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

I bought the Logitech K380 keyboard but the volume and mute buttons doesn't work on Nvidia Shield(2017) and wonder would anyone know a workaround?. Keyboard volume buttons works fine for windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,644 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Mr.S wrote: »
    Great. The 2017 remote is beyond trash.

All my shields are the 2015 version, but all were bought with gamepad as I have a few harmony 350s and a Harmony Ultimate in the main room.

One of the harmony 350's is starting to give up the ghost :(
    So rather than buying a new one, I'll wait until the new Nvidia remote is released and buy 2 of those instead :)

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Anybody see any deals on this today? Or was the gen 3 released too close to have a discount?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭branners69

Anybody see any deals on this today? Or was the gen 3 released too close to have a discount?

Disappointed that there were no deals to be had! Wonder will there be something on Cyber Monday??

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

branners69 wrote: »
    Disappointed that there were no deals to be had! Wonder will there be something on Cyber Monday??

Yeah hope Monday anyway and if not , will maybe treat myself mid year next year . Or save up for it

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

My shield seems to be cursed - still haven’t got the proper BBC iPlayer to appear ( :( ), and now the Play Store app is acting odd - the refreshed UI (https://ww.9to5google.com/2019/10/18/play-store-redesign-android-tv/) appeared on my device, then reverted to the old one a few hours later. This has happened 3 or four times over the last week or so. Anyone else get the new Play Store yet or see the same issue?

My shield seems to be cursed - still haven’t got the proper BBC iPlayer to appear ( :( ), and now the Play Store app is acting odd - the refreshed UI (https://ww.9to5google.com/2019/10/18/play-store-redesign-android-tv/) appeared on my device, then reverted to the old one a few hours later. This has happened 3 or four times over the last week or so. Anyone else get the new Play Store yet or see the same issue?

Have tried to force update all week and still no new Play store yet.Is new design any good?

Has anyone tried an ambilight setup with Nvidia Shield.Any info would be grateful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭stimpson

Has anyone tried an ambilight setup with Nvidia Shield.Any info would be grateful.

Check out the Hue Stream app. It works with Philips hue bulbs. Great if thats your thing but I found it distracting.

Advertisement