Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nvidia Shield - Tips & tricks [Read post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

I have the Shield set up with the Hue stream app and find it good but it depends on the individual set up I would imagine.

I have a 2M Hue strip on the back of the TV(along the top and slightly down each side 55" TV).On each side of the TV I have self built speaker units made from bedside lockers,sprayed black and drawers removed,I have then wired in a Hue colour GU10 spotlight into each of these units with the light shining down.(might load a pic,difficult to describe)
    2 tall lamps behind my sitting position both with Hue colour bulbs.

All of the above lights are mapped into the Hue stream app and you can assign screen area and size area and link these areas to individual lights i.e, The color on top of the TV screen is replicated on the 2M strip,each side of the TV screen is replicated to the tall lamps behind the sitting position and the 2 X GU10s in the spotlight set up take each of their respective corners of the TV screen
    Intensity and speed etc. can also be tweaked.

[IMG][/img]49160338406_fe4846a9a0_c.jpgUntitled by Clinton Daly, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭bozharry1

I have the Shield set up with the Hue stream app and find it good but it depends on the individual set up I would imagine.

I have a 2M Hue strip on the back of the TV(along the top and slightly down each side 55" TV).On each side of the TV I have self built speaker units made from bedside lockers,sprayed black and drawers removed,I have then wired in a Hue colour GU10 spotlight into each of these units with the light shining down.(might load a pic,difficult to describe)
    2 tall lamps behind my sitting position both with Hue colour bulbs.

All of the above lights are mapped into the Hue stream app and you can assign screen area and size area and link these areas to individual lights i.e, The color on top of the TV screen is replicated on the 2M strip,each side of the TV screen is replicated to the tall lamps behind the sitting position and the 2 X GU10s in the spotlight set up take each of their respective corners of the TV screen
    Intensity and speed etc. can also be tweaked.

[IMG][/img]49160338406_fe4846a9a0_c.jpgUntitled by Clinton Daly, on Flickr

Great setup The wife would kill me Haha And does the ambilight move With what’s on the screen?was thinking of this?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Backlights-Compatible-Control-Lighting-Calibrate/dp/B07K1YPRGQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?keywords=tv+ambient+light+kit&qid=1575376411&sprefix=tv+ambi&sr=8-5

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

My controller is really starting to play up since I changed the battery, constantly loses connection with the shield and takes a minute each time to get it back working again, anybody know of any fixes for this or am I better off getting a third party one?

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Echoes675

Mine wouldn't reconnect after I changed the batteries. Can't even pair it now. Need to get Nvidia to replace it but can't be bothered interacting with the support bot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭chewed

Me too. I just had to replace it after only a few months. It's a joke of a remote, especially considering the quality of the actual Shield itself.

• Advertisement

OSI wrote: »
    You just have to remember the Hue Stream setup only works with video that doesn't have DRM. The likes of Netflix, YouTube etc won't work.

The one I’m thinking of buying has small camera on top of screen.The box behind tv sees what’s happening on screen and relays this to lights.So DRM won’t affect this light.

I’m using the new RTÉ Player from Android Tv store and works ok.If I come out of RTÉ Player and go back in,I get an upside down robot in comer of a blank screen.The app will only work again if I clear data.Has anyone else had this problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

bozharry1 wrote: »
    I’m using the new RTÉ Player from Android Tv store and works ok.If I come out of RTÉ Player and go back in,I get an upside down robot in comer of a blank screen.The app will only work again if I clear data.Has anyone else had this problem?
    Yes it's a known problem I think we all suffer it 😂😅

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭chewed

massy086 wrote: »
    Yes it's a known problem I think we all suffer it ����

The best thing to do is to uninstall RTE Player and pretend it never existed.

chewed wrote: »
    The best thing to do is to uninstall RTE Player and pretend it never existed.

Yes is a big pile of ****e.Just like RTÉ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Same happened to me. I had to wipe the Shield. But there's one thing you can try - change the setting for secure connections. Select option that it's not required for local network. Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭stimpson

Log out and log in again on both server and client. Not sure it will work but it’s the first thing to try.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Goldigga

Question regarding Nvidia Geoforce. I signed up and have been waitlisted for access. I was going to try it out directly on the PC before buying a shield, but have heard the waiting times for the list can be long.

if you have a shield, are you still put on the wait list or do you get Geoforce access straight away? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭BandMember

bozharry1 wrote: »

Yes, everyone here has experience of it - been going on for months now.

You'll need to clear you cache etc. after every time you use it or else it will keep happening.

I can't believe that they still haven't even bothered to fix it at this stage... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,607 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

If I want to use the new (Pro) shield for plex. Do I need an external ssd or will a hard drive be fast enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Bought one of these today off Amazon. Looking forward to tinkering with it. Emulation powerhouse here I come , interested in see the upscaling also

errlloyd wrote: »
    If I want to use the new (Pro) shield for plex. Do I need an external ssd or will a hard drive be fast enough.

Hard drive perfectly fine and likely better, certainly cheaper! I've a 2TB drive connected. No noise from it, drive goes to sleep when not active.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,607 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Exceptional customer service from Nvidia btw. Bought in North America, asked them about buying an Irish Plug for the charger, said they'd send one out free as a goodwill gesture.

This is arriving tuesday the 2019 version.

Any basic tips to get me started that I might miss? Haven't ordered any extra storage would HDD be enough or should I got for a NAS setup if using plex?

Any good emulators or is retroarch the best one?

excited to see if the AI upscaling lives up to they hype.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Any basic tips to get me started that I might miss? Haven't ordered any extra storage would HDD be enough or should I got for a NAS setup if using plex?

Retrox takes all the hardship out of Retroarch

Retrox takes all the hardship out of Retroarch

Yeah I fiddled with retroarch a few times. Work in IT so fairly used to troubleshooting, hopefully setting this thing up doesn't seem more like work haha

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭habanerocat

You will only need a NAS if you want to store or backup a whole pile of movies. If you do get one place it away from the shield and TV and PC as they are noisy yokes.

If you do decide on a NAS, make sure it's powerful enough to transcode the type/quality of movies you want to play.

You will only need a NAS if you want to store or backup a whole pile of movies. If you do get one place it away from the shield and TV and PC as they are noisy yokes.

If you do decide on a NAS, make sure it's powerful enough to transcode the type/quality of movies you want to play.

Yeah I might just go down the HDD route, one of my colleagues has a NAS and it gets pretty expensive , pretty quickly

I've done both. HDD way simpler and cheaper.

My 2019 Pro just landed and I am just in the process of setting it up. Brilliant device.

Would love to have live TV on it too. What are my options for TV service?

ronoc wrote: »
    Would love to have live TV on it too. What are my options for TV service?

We can't discuss the illegal TV options here.

I'm using Dream player to stream channels to my Shield from my Enigma 2 satellite combo box

I'm using Dream player to stream channels to my Shield from my Enigma 2 satellite combo box

Who mentioned illegal? Surely there is a legit option?

ronoc wrote: »
    Who mentioned illegal? Surely there is a legit option?

There isn't really. The RTE player has no live TV. AFAIK the BBC iPlayer will have live TV but it's GeoBlocked you'll need a workaround like a VPN or SmartDNS (therefore not legit).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,644 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I use the enigma2 plugin to stream my channels within Kodi with EPG.

Advertisement