Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nvidia Shield - Tips & tricks [Read post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

branners69 wrote: »
    Has anyone used their Shield with the Playstation Remote Play app?

I have tried the app on a few android boxes Minix U1, T95 and a Mecool Kiii Pro. I get an error message with them all, the error message relates to the app thinking the box is rooted!

So with Black Friday and all, I was wondering if a Shield is the way to go!

I've briefly tested it on a 2017 Shield and 2019 Shield Pro, just to see if it linked up and it worked fine.
    I had to use a mouse with the firefox browser for the initial authorisation.
    I didn't play anything though, but it does work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭larchielads

Pulled the trigger on new shield pro, due Thursday. Thought I'd treat meself to an early Xmas present, gotta refund for an item I bought that I really didn't need so I said fcuk it I'm gettin me a new shield. Prob don't need that either my mecool kb2 not let me down yet

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Slightly off topic, but has anyone tried the Amazon fire TV box, and how are they in comparison with the shield?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Hi all has anyone used any pc streaming app if you don't have nvidia graphics card? What are the options?

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

I can't get geforce now to work on my new Shield - I clicked one of the "free with shield" games (Tomb Raider for example), it then asked me to go to a web page and sign up using a code displayed o the shield - signed up with a new account via my Google account.
    When I go back to the shield it won't let me play of the included games, complaining I'm not on the beta for geforce now. I thought it was supposed to be free for shield users? Am I missing something obvious here?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

I can't get geforce now to work on my new Shield - I clicked one of the "free with shield" games (Tomb Raider for example), it then asked me to go to a web page and sign up using a code displayed o the shield - signed up with a new account via my Google account.
    When I go back to the shield it won't let me play of the included games, complaining I'm not on the beta for geforce now. I thought it was supposed to be free for shield users? Am I missing something obvious here?

I think you need to link your shield with a code. If you go to settings account you will need to be signed into a NVIDIA account as well as Google

I think you need to link your shield with a code. If you go to settings account you will need to be signed into a NVIDIA account as well as Google

Yep sorry if I wasn't clear, I linked the newly created Nvidia account (using the 'sign up with google' option) with the code displayed on the Shield, but it still get the 'not in the beta' message.

Yep sorry if I wasn't clear, I linked the newly created Nvidia account (using the 'sign up with google' option) with the code displayed on the Shield, but it still get the 'not in the beta' message.

Bottom of the page
    https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce/products/geforce-now/

Thank you. I already requested access through the shield itself when I signed up. I thought I was doing something wrong/missing something as I was under the impression Shield owners could just use the service out of the box - seems like there is still a waiting period to be allowed on to the beta regardless. Very misleading and a bit crap tbh.

Other than this and my non-existant BBC iPlayer app, loving the Shield, huge step up from a Fire TV. I've really been missing out the last few years!

Thank you. I already requested access through the shield itself when I signed up. I thought I was doing something wrong/missing something as I was under the impression Shield owners could just use the service out of the box - seems like there is still a waiting period to be allowed on to the beta regardless. Very misleading and a bit crap tbh.

Other than this and my non-existant BBC iPlayer app, loving the Shield, huge step up from a Fire TV. I've really been missing out the last few years!

You'll just have to wait, their new version of Geforce Now is in beta at the moment. It's also completely free for now, expect to pay when it comes out of beta.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

Hi all, I purchased a Logitech Harmony Elite Advanced remote. It works mostly well with the Nvidia but if the Nvidia is powered off it won't start it up. As there is no on/off switch on the Nvidia I need to plug it out and back in again to get it started.
    Any advice on a good replacement Nvidia remote (the original I had is lost) or a trick to get the Logitech remote to work.
    Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

OSI wrote: »
    Have you enabled CEC on both your TV and Shield?

Not sure whag that is but I will dig around when I get home and try it out. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭xckjoo

MICKEYG wrote: »
    Hi all, I purchased a Logitech Harmony Elite Advanced remote. It works mostly well with the Nvidia but if the Nvidia is powered off it won't start it up. As there is no on/off switch on the Nvidia I need to plug it out and back in again to get it started.
    Any advice on a good replacement Nvidia remote (the original I had is lost) or a trick to get the Logitech remote to work.
    Thanks in advance.
    Do you switch to the Shield from a different HDMI channel with the remote? Mine will go to sleep if I'm on a different channel and won't wake up unless I power toggle the TV from the remote when on the right HDMI channel.

I think this is fixable by changing the CEC power-on settings on the Shield, but I was having issues with the Shield turning on the TV randomly so set those settings conservatively. Having to turn the TV off and on is mildly inconvenient but better than the TV randomly turning on.

CEC is basically a protocol for passing control commands along HDMI, so things like power state changes and remote control button presses can be passed from the TV to the Shield (and vice-versa).

MICKEYG wrote: »
    Thanks in advance.

You also need to pair the Shield to the harmony hub by Bluetooth, then it will be able to wake it from standby. If you didn't get the prompt to pair remove the Shield and add it again as a new device. From what I remember this works best using the app
    https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/harmony-experience-with-nvidia-shield

• Registered Users Posts: 3,692 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

I have the Harmony Elite and use it for the Shield and for some of the apps also

Just added devices using the Harmony app and then set up routines to turn it off, on, pause, play etc. Can act up a times but definitely worth the effort

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭funnyname

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hauppauge-WinTV-dual-HD-Freeview-broadcasts/dp/B011Z7I0JY

Will this work with the 2017 Nvidia shield with the latest firmware update? Also if I hook up an external hard drive will I be able to record one channel with this while watching another?

I'm on the mobile touch page so the search functionality isn't giving me great results when I try to find if this has been looked at before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭BandMember

Any Black Friday deals spotted yet? :D

I would be 99.99% confident that the answer is no.... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

funnyname wrote: »
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hauppauge-WinTV-dual-HD-Freeview-broadcasts/dp/B011Z7I0JY

Will this work with the 2017 Nvidia shield with the latest firmware update? Also if I hook up an external hard drive will I be able to record one channel with this while watching another?

I'm on the mobile touch page so the search functionality isn't giving me great results when I try to find if this has been looked at before.

Interesting... I see only one aerial input so recordings might not be able to work... I see a guy connected his raspberry pi no problems with it.. .. Em what are you going to connect to it ..ie cable

Interesting... I see only one aerial input so recordings might not be able to work... I see a guy connected his raspberry pi no problems with it.. .. Em what are you going to connect to it ..ie cable

https://youtu.be/qv2u3KvgDK4

I ended up buying this one as it has Nvidia shield on the box

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B07C7YNWJ1/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Sorry if this has been answered recently, but where is the best place to buy one of these?

Either the 2019 pro or the 2017 gaming edition. I can't find either on Amazon or usual retailers.

errlloyd wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been answered recently, but where is the best place to buy one of these?

Either the 2019 pro or the 2017 gaming edition. I can't find either on Amazon or usual retailers.

Both versions are widely available on Amazon, no idea how you can't find them there.... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

BandMember wrote: »
    Both versions are widely available on Amazon, no idea how you can't find them there.... :confused:

The only gaming edition 2017 ones are used or 300 pounds. There is a new 2019 one, but it is 225, which is a decent chunk over FV. So figured the good people here might know where to get it RRP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭BobMc

BandMember wrote: »
    Any Black Friday deals spotted yet? :D

I would be 99.99% confident that the answer is no.... :(

Not seen one, the Pro model infact seems to haveb gone up to stg225, i did see it listed as stg199 last week, hoping for a deal on either to be fair

funnyname wrote: »
    I ended up buying this one as it has Nvidia shield on the box

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B07C7YNWJ1/

Let us know how you get on if you can please

The only gaming edition 2017 ones are used or 300 pounds. There is a new 2019 one, but it is 225, which is a decent chunk over FV. So figured the good people here might know where to get it RRP.
    BobMc wrote: »
    Not seen one, the Pro model infact seems to haveb gone up to stg225, i did see it listed as stg199 last week, hoping for a deal on either to be fair

It's €219 on Amazon.de - I think that might be the best option around?

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07Z6RD4M9/ref=sr_1_6?crid=386ADRIJ4PK77&keywords=nvidia+shield&qid=1574434008&sprefix=nv%2Caps%2C150&sr=8-6

Let us know how you get on if you can please

Will do, I'm meant to get it early next week.

Go straight to source, btw if I remember correctly they did a black Friday discount last year.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/shield/buy/

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

Anybody try this app on their shield guys?

https://smartyoutubetv.github.io/

It's supposed to be an ad free version of YouTube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭kenny111

Mr.S wrote: »
    Anyone having issues with Plex / Plex server on the Shield?

My Library was playing fine and then overnight stopped working - I can browse titles but whenever I click play I get the error "unable to play media" - no changes to network etc.

i had the same thing recently, it turned out to be the VPN that is being talked about in the Bargain alerts section, i removed it and things went back to normal.

Note, you will need to make sure it is removed from the Shield and PC.

Advertisement