Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nvidia Shield - Tips & tricks [Read post #1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I don't game but I would want the USB ports myself. I wonder (if any) what the difference in heat dissipation is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

McDermotX wrote: »
    Its designed to hidden away though as, in fairness, it's no looker
    It's personally exactly what I'm after to compliment by main Shield downstairs. I was really hoping there would be a simple Ethernet plug included like Amazon / Google have for their Chromecasts / Fire TV - that could have been a real seller but it now makes it more difficult to just hide away (esp. since it needs a large power adapter).

img_58b73f774e7fb.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭chewed

beauf wrote: »
    I don't game but I would want the USB ports myself. I wonder (if any) what the difference in heat dissipation is.

I agree! I'm not a gamer but would miss having the option of USB ports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

chewed wrote: »
    I agree! I'm not a gamer but would miss having the option of USB ports.

What for? It has an SD card slot to expand storage and you can add network storage and also can use an app for keyboard. You're not losing

• Registered Users Posts: 16,573 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Yes, already confirmed it's going to be 30 quid and is backwards compatible. None on Amazon yet, give it time. The Netflix button is also easy to reconfigure to any app

Theres an option to sign up on the Nvidia site to be notified of availability.
    Will be buying at least 1, the IR functions make it a no brainer for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭chewed

What for? It has an SD card slot to expand storage and you can add network storage and also can use an app for keyboard. You're not losing

I use a keypad remote that requires a USB with infrared. Not sure if I can use it without the USB port.

chewed wrote: »
    I use a keypad remote that requires a USB with infrared. Not sure if I can use it without the USB port.

Probably not with that, but there are other options. The Nvidia shield app was updated the other day, they have now added app icons. It's worth checking out. I was using the Android TV remote as I also have a Mibox in another room but am now using the Shield app.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

Downloaded Hue Stream to my shield tonight and it works amazing well with YouTube and IPTV (havnt tried other apps yet). At the moment I just have the bulb in a simple desk lamp behind the TV to give effect but definitely going to buy light strips for behind it now I've seen it in action!

Does this work with Kodi? I primarily use the Shield for watching liveTV on Kodi, would the Hue Stream work with that content?

Is this all I need;
    Philips Hue White & Colour Ambiance Light Strip Plus - 2m
    Philips Hue Bridge Smart Home Hub
    and the Hw Stream app

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

advertsfox wrote: »
    Spec wise, very little. The obvious one is the missing USB ports and the Pro comes with 3GB of RAM / 16GB storage to the Tubes 2GB of RAM / 8GB of storage. Both are still the perfect streaming device, better than anything else on offer.

One more important omission here regarding the Tube and the Pro. The Tube is running 32bit Android and the Pro is 64bit. This will make a huge difference if you run emulators or not. The likes of Dolphin can't run on 32bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

bazzz wrote: »
    One more important omission here regarding the Tube and the Pro. The Tube is running 32bit Android and the Pro is 64bit. This will make a huge difference if you run emulators or not. The likes of Dolphin can't run on 32bit.

Plex Media Server doesn't run on the Tube either apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

Plex Media Server doesn't run on the Tube either apparently.

Yes it would affect many programs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,839 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Couple of minutes with the new Tube one there tonight, and one nice little bonus is that there is finally Atmos streaming via Netflix (akin to the Xbox app so it's probably just a container for the DD+ streams, but something that was lacking previously, unless they've updated the app on all revisions over the last few days) direct from the Shield.
    DolbyVision works grand as well, although depending on your receiver/TV setup you may be limited to 24Hz which a lot of DV displays over 1-2 years old will be. To be fair though, it's only really useful for movies/TV at sub 30Hz, so it's no big deal and they've also suggested putting a DV switch setting the quick settings so it only needs to be activated when need be.....all other use will be at the normal 60Hz. Naturally more compatible TVs will be able to negate this switching.
    Didn't get a chance to try out anything else, but the usual stuff is there Prime, Plex etc

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

Does this work with Kodi? I primarily use the Shield for watching liveTV on Kodi, would the Hue Stream work with that content?

Is this all I need;
    Philips Hue White & Colour Ambiance Light Strip Plus - 2m
    Philips Hue Bridge Smart Home Hub
    and the Hw Stream app

and a follow up question in case there is anyone out there with such a setup ...afaik the light strip is one light/one colour at a time, so would the TV experience be better with multiple bulbs behind it instead of just one strip?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭54and56

Hi all,

I've a 2017 Shield. Plex Media Server stopped running a few days ago and wouldn't restart.

Having encountered this before I remembered the solution is to push an update to the PMS app so went into the play store app where I saw PMS was in the middle of an update. Happy days I thought but the app remained updating for hours. I left it "updating" over night but in the morning it was still updating. I tried restarting the Shield, same result so I uninstalled all updates from the PMS app which essentially resets PMS back to the factory state and although it set up again it still won't run the server.

I went back into the play store app to update PMS and now several of my installed apps are showing as "updating" including Chromecast Built In, Haystack tv, IPTV Smarters, Netflix, PMS, the NVIDIA Shield TV - Alexa Skill app etc and have been stuck "updating" like this for over 24 hours but other apps including the regular Plex client app are showing as installed.

Anyone encountered anything like this before? Anyone got any suggestions other than a full factory reset of the Shield?

FYI the Shield is connected to my router via ethernet cable and a speedtest confirms over 100mb D/L and 10mb U/L.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

RetroX seems to have gone from the app store, and no idea how, but it's gone from my device too.

RetroX seems to have gone from the app store, and no idea how, but it's gone from my device too.

Was it ever on the App Store ?
    Havent used/installed it in a while, but always sideloaded it IIRC.
    Wouldn't explain why it's gone from the device granted, but http://www.retrox.tv/

http://www.retrox.tv/download/

Thanks lads, haven't used it in a while, but the kids unearthed the controller yesterday and it's put them in the notion.

I'm thinking that it possibly got wiped during the last major system update that the shield went through, I'll mess about this afternoon restoring everything for them.

Thanks lads, haven't used it in a while, but the kids unearthed the controller yesterday and it's put them in the notion.

I'm thinking that it possibly got wiped during the last major system update that the shield went through, I'll mess about this afternoon restoring everything for them.

The developer changed the payment method last January. It's not been in the play store since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,330 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Advertisement

Lads does anyone know how to pin lock certain apps on the shield?

YouTube to be specific.

What is it with kids and brain mush videos on YouTube anyway :mad:

Lads does anyone know how to pin lock certain apps on the shield?

YouTube to be specific.

What is it with kids and brain mush videos on YouTube anyway :mad:

Set up a restricted profile
    https://support.google.com/androidtv/answer/6123330

It's been confirmed that as the new 2019 Shield supports a Dolby Atmos licence it will now downscale Dolby Digital + to Dolby Digital on the Shield. Handy for anyone like me wanting surround sound on Netflix and Prime with an older receiver that only supports Dolby Digital. The 2015/17 only supports passthrough.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/shield-tv/9/313426/shield-tv-and-sonos-playbar-51-dolby-digital-51-/2303892/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,573 ✭✭✭✭banie01

It's been confirmed that as the new 2019 Shield supports a Dolby Atmos licence it will now downscale Dolby Digital + to Dolby Digital on the Shield. Handy for anyone like me wanting surround sound on Netflix and Prime with an older receiver that only supports Dolby Digital. The 2015/17 only supports passthrough.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/shield-tv/9/313426/shield-tv-and-sonos-playbar-51-dolby-digital-51-/2303892/

The shield really is the most amazingly good value piece of tech I've ever bought.
    Have the 2015 model, and I honestly have no right to still expect support at this stage given the android life cycle.

Nvidia to their credit don't just keep the software patched they are still rolling out new features!
    Unbelievable value.

moonboy52 wrote: »
    Good news. In the same boat with a receiver that only does DD/DTS

2015 owner

It's available on the new one only you'll need to upgrade

Setup the 2019 Pro earlier today.
    Exactly what you'd expect with the new refinements already covered with the Tube with regard to Dolby Vision, Netflix Atmos, Frame Rate matching option is also there in beta form etc, but did come across a couple of issues relating to Archos and MX Player.
    Don't really use them at all, more of a habit of installing, but they look to be in need of an update with Archos crashing and MX displaying in portrait. But something to keep in mind if you use either app.

My remote acted up a bit the other evening, initially warning me that the battery was critical, disconnected, had to reconnect it, battery then was showing up as full, then later around 50%

Is there any particular reason why they didn't go down the route of making the remote connect to the shield via WiFi, as per the way your phone connects to it in the remote app, which generally works flawlessly tbh, but it's just not as nice an experience as using the remote itself via Bluetooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

I only found out the other day that my magic remote that came with my LG tv years ago works with the shield... Genius machine

• Registered Users Posts: 3,692 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Still looking for a game controller that doesn't cost the sun and the moon.Got rid of the ps so game controller gone with it. Looking for something similar. Saw 2015 game controller on cex but any other recommendations i can check online for prices

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭xckjoo

I only found out the other day that my magic remote that came with my LG tv years ago works with the shield... Genius machine
    That's down to HDMI-CEC

Advertisement