Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nvidia Shield - Tips & tricks [Read post #1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Still looking for a game controller that doesn't cost the sun and the moon.Got rid of the ps so game controller gone with it. Looking for something similar. Saw 2015 game controller on cex but any other recommendations i can check online for prices

Cheers

I got an official one on here from another Boardsie that had one never used. There are probably plenty more out there. The Shield one works best as it uses WiFi not Bluetooth

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Still looking for a game controller that doesn't cost the sun and the moon.Got rid of the ps so game controller gone with it. Looking for something similar. Saw 2015 game controller on cex but any other recommendations i can check online for prices
    I got an official one on here from another Boardsie that had one never used. There are probably plenty more out there. The Shield one works best as it uses WiFi not Bluetooth
    I have one thats brand new, I have never used it (well, for 5 minutes and thats it). Give me a message, we'll sort something out if you want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,691 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

advertsfox wrote: »
    I have one thats brand new, I have never used it (well, for 5 minutes and thats it). Give me a message, we'll sort something out if you want it.

Cheers tried to pm you but not accepted

Cheers tried to pm you but not accepted
    Sorry give it a go again.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Lennyzip

Can't seem to find a thread in relation to the latest software update. Ok to post here about it ?
    Deliberately didn't install as have had major issues until they iron out the bugs with a follow up update. Any feedback how it went for those here ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

Ordered the tube from Amazon, my first Shield (apart from the Shield tablet) - should be delivered on friday, looking forward to it :)

One thing I'd like to know regarding Android TV I suppose more so than the Shield specifically - is it as easy to install apps from other countries on the shield as it is on say an Android phone? On my phone I just create a google account linked to the country I want the app from with a VPN, then I can just download them from the playstore - for example BBC iPlayer from UK, DAZN from Germany etc.- Is this just the same on the shield?

so my new tube shield arrived today at last. Lovely device.

To answer my question about region specific apps, turns out it is just as easy as on the phone - the shield allows signing in to multiple google accounts, so all I had to do was to sign in with my german account to install DAZN for example. Great!
    Only hiccup seems to be BBC iPlayer. I signed in with my UK google account, and ITV became available to download from the playstore, installs and works perfectly. Great! Sadly, BBC iPlayer is nowhere to be seen however. Not in the playstore when searching, or anywhere in the apps list when connected to a UK VPN.

Am I missing some trick here for the iPlayer? Any help appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Try downloading it from Aptoide

https://en.aptoide.com/search?query=bbc+iplayer

Thanks, have it downloaded from there but the app is only available from the apps list in the settings (expected this)
    Problem is it appears to be the touchscreen version, so not usable with a remote.

Is this the best case scenario for iPlayer? Or has anyone been able to get the proper Android TV version (including showing up in apps menu) working in Ireland? Disappointing if so as I had a perfect and easily accessed version working fine on Firestick, feels like a big step backwards moving to the Shield.

Sorry if this has been asked before but from searching the thread it's unclear what version of the app people are discussing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

I've never had any problem with the iPlayer being visible as long as I've got location services turned off (which does cause a problem with the Eurosport Player, as it requires thenm to be on).

Yep I have - Settings > Device Preferences > Location > Location Status > Off

Is there any other setting I am missing :(

No results for BBC iPlayer in my Play Store, using either an irish or UK google account :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

I use nordvpn on the shield lads but can't get bbc iplayer or itv player to work

Any workaround lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I use nordvpn on the shield lads but can't get bbc iplayer or itv player to work

Any workaround lads?

Try using Obfuscated Server.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    There was a thing in WiFi settings I think it’s always scanning, I turned that off and I’m not sure if I was advised to or just did it myself.
    Have you tried restarting the shield at all ?

yeah I had found that one too. It had been on, it is now off since yesterday.
    I’ve rebooted a number of times.

Very frustrating :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,569 ✭✭✭✭banie01

No results for BBC iPlayer in my Play Store, using either an irish or UK google account :(

I have 3 shields and 2 are perfectly fine with iPlayer and Itv.
    One however will not list those apps no matter what account, or what locations settings I use.

Similar issue with iPlayer via Aptoide.

My workaround for it is using FXexplorer that allows apps to be enabled.
    Open FX>apps>control panel and enable the apps, the will then stay available until reboot.

It's messy, and no matter what steps I've tried even with Nvidia support I cannot get it to work same way as the other 2.
    VPN, SmartDNS, other region spoofing efforts all lead back to using FX explorer and enabling via there.

banie01 wrote: »
    I have 3 shields and 2 are perfectly fine with iPlayer and Itv.
    One however will not list those apps no matter what account, or what locations settings I use.

Similar issue with iPlayer via Aptoide.

My workaround for it is using FXexplorer that allows apps to be enabled.
    Open FX>apps>control panel and enable the apps, the will then stay available until reboot.

It's messy, and no matter what steps I've tried even with Nvidia support I cannot get it to work same way as the other 2.
    VPN, SmartDNS, other region spoofing efforts all lead back to using FX explorer and enabling via there.

Thanks. Is the 'FXexplorer' app you mention this one? https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nextapp.fx
    I can't see any other ones in the playstore on the shield. I can't however find where to enable the apps? I tried the trial of that app which shows the apps icon but still can't see where you mean?

Thats interesting about the 1 of 3 shields. Are they all the same model? Was worried this was specific issue with the new model I have

• Registered Users Posts: 16,569 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Thanks. Is the 'FXexplorer' app you mention this one? https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nextapp.fx
    I can't see any other ones in the playstore on the shield. I can't however find where to enable the apps? I tried the trial of that app which shows the apps icon but still can't see where you mean?

Thats interesting about the 1 of 3 shields. Are they all the same model? Was worried this was specific issue with the new model I have

Yep, that's the one.

All my shields are the 2015 version so it's rare but it does happen.

When you are in "apps" you select disabled apps, select the app you want to enable, scroll left and the "control panel" option will be listed.
    Select that, then enable app there.

You will need to do that every reboot, but conveniently enough the iPlayer and Itv apps will save your sign in details.

banie01 wrote: »
    Yep, that's the one.

All my shields are the 2015 version so it's rare but it does happen.

When you are in "apps" you select disabled apps, select the app you want to enable, scroll left and the "control panel" option will be listed.
    Select that, then enable app there.

You will need to do that every reboot, but conveniently enough the iPlayer and Itv apps will save your sign in details.

Thanks again. No BBC app is showing as disabled in the user or system apps sadly. Except for the sideloaded "regular" android iplayer app I installed manually. Wonder if that messed it up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Did you turn off ipv6? My smart DNS wasnt working properly until I disabled it.

Did you turn off ipv6? My smart DNS wasnt working properly until I disabled it.

yep its off. Really frustrating. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

Lads is there any ad blocker available for the shield?

I use youtube vanced on my phone so am kinda used to no ads.

The ads on YouTube for the shield are driving me mad

• Advertisement

Lads is there any ad blocker available for the shield?

I use youtube vanced on my phone so am kinda used to no ads.

The ads on YouTube for the shield are driving me mad

I use the dns changer to block adds

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aykutcevik.dnschanger

Also try smart tube for shield that blocks adds also

https://smartyoutubetv.github.io/

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Just wondering is one of these worth picking up?

Am big into games already , but I have an android box cheap chinese knock off one and its a bit grating with crashing and other issues.

Is this the Ferrari of android boxes?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Is this the Ferrari of android boxes?

This is the best Android box you can get, yes. It's true Android TV experience. The chinese ones are a bit of a hack.

Well worth investing in one. Perfect timing too with Black Friday coming up, and new models out.

Is there a setting either on router or shield itself that can affect settings. Location settings turned off

Have VPN unlimited and have it set to BBC Player cannot get it to work either via the installed app or via sign in on Chrome or is it BBC banning their servers?

Have virgin router bridged and using a TP link so not sure if any changes required

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    This is the best Android box you can get, yes. It's true Android TV experience. The chinese ones are a bit of a hack.

Well worth investing in one. Perfect timing too with Black Friday coming up, and new models out.

Yeah the rebooting and random glitches with the one I have at the minute is doing my nut in.

Would it still be worth getting a 2017 version? I heard from a review online there is not much performance difference in the 2019 version?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Would it still be worth getting a 2017 version? I heard from a review online there is not much performance difference in the 2019 version?

Absolutely. If you can get a good price, go for it. The main difference for me, would be the much better remote on the 2019 version.

Absolutely. If you can get a good price, go for it. The main difference for me, would be the much better remote on the 2019 version.
    I well believe Nvidia know this and have chosen not to sell remote seperately just yet - they want more of the 2019 to be sold, otherwise everyone will just get a 2017 + the new remote... thats what I plan to do anyway ;)

Looks like I will be scouting black friday so haha. Thanks for the feedback on it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Is there a setting either on router or shield itself that can affect settings. Location settings turned off

Have VPN unlimited and have it set to BBC Player cannot get it to work either via the installed app or via sign in on Chrome or is it BBC banning their servers?

Have virgin router bridged and using a TP link so not sure if any changes required

I've had VPN unlimited for almost two years now, and it works well on everything generally.......

Except BBC iPlayer.

I'm not sure what it is exactly, but I can get it to stream more often than I cannot, but in saying that, when it streams it's usually extremely laggy, and that's despite me having 300+ download speeds.

Something I've just discovered, there's no option to download shows off the shield iPlayer app, but there is on my phone, so I'm wondering if it's possible to stick a touch version on the shield via Aptoide for example, and download shows from there?

No streaming should mean no lagging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭branners69

Has anyone used their Shield with the Playstation Remote Play app?

I have tried the app on a few android boxes Minix U1, T95 and a Mecool Kiii Pro. I get an error message with them all, the error message relates to the app thinking the box is rooted!

So with Black Friday and all, I was wondering if a Shield is the way to go!

Advertisement