Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nvidia Shield - Tips & tricks [Read post #1]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I'm just playing to be honest, not into IPTV but I'm overdosing on GeNow so I'm trying different parts of the box now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Finally decided to take the plunge and get one but I've got a screen flicker from the bloody thing. Anyone else come across it? The only thing I can find is people saying to set the refresh rate to 59khz but I've done that and its still the same :(

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭xlogo

JohnK wrote:
    Finally decided to take the plunge and get one but I've got a screen flicker from the bloody thing. Anyone else come across it? The only thing I can find is people saying to set the refresh rate to 59khz but I've done that and its still the same

Try swap out the hdmi cable or use a different hdmi port.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

JohnK wrote: »
    Finally decided to take the plunge and get one but I've got a screen flicker from the bloody thing. Anyone else come across it? The only thing I can find is people saying to set the refresh rate to 59khz but I've done that and its still the same :(

Did you buy from Amazon?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

As suggested try and swap out the HDMI cable first

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,647 ✭✭✭corks finest

As suggested try and swap out the HDMI cable first

Bang on, AFAIK these boxes are fairly bulletproof

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

I recall an Amazon Fire TV flickering because of the HDMI output type. Some TVs allow enable "HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Color" on certain ports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Shield experience upgrade 7.0.1 preview is currently installing on mine......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,921 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Shield experience upgrade 7.0.1 preview is currently installing on mine......

Same here

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Did you get a notification or how does it work ?

Yeah it was on the screen. You need to have signed up to the preview

• Advertisement

I'm liking it. Can reorder everything. Much easier to launch what you use most.

The only issue is we use multiple accounts on Plex and you don't get Plex stuff on the home screen unless it's set to sign into a profile automatically. This is a little annoying as you have to go into settings to turn off auto sign in, close the app and open it again to get to another profile then content apps appearing again. I'd like for it to show the content for the last user but ask for a pin to launch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »
    Mine's been downloading for over 50 minutes so far and it's only 1GB.

It doesn't take long to install, took longer to update the remote

Patww79 wrote: »
    Must be wherever they're hosting it as I'd no issues with anything else.

You mustn't have had auto download on which left it later and into heavier traffic, mine was there waiting to install

• Registered Users Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭54and56

Hi all,

I've taken my Shield away on holiday to watch movies and TV series from an external USB drive if it rains.

I have access to a paid WiFi service which requires you to connect to the network and then launch a browser where you enter your login and password but with Android TV I don't have a browser so I'm unable to enter my credentials.

If I could solve this problem I'd have access to my IPTV subscription and be able to watch some of the World Cup but right now I've no TV whatsoever.

Any suggestions? I can't even side load a browser as to do that I need internet access :-(

Posting this from my phone BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Hi all,

I've taken my Shield away on holiday to watch movies and TV series from an external USB drive if it rains.

I have access to a paid WiFi service which requires you to connect to the network and then launch a browser where you enter your login and password but with Android TV I don't have a browser so I'm unable to enter my credentials.

If I could solve this problem I'd have access to my IPTV subscription and be able to watch some of the World Cup but right now I've no TV whatsoever.

Any suggestions? I can't even side load a browser as to do that I need internet access :-(

I know you say that you can't side load, but if you can figure out a way, maybe this? - https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/cloudmosa-inc/puffin-tv-fast-web-browser-android-tv/puffin-tv-fast-web-browser-android-tv-7-0-6-18003-release/#downloads

Download the apk to your phone, transfer to the shield via bluetooth?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Squaredude

does your phone have a wi-fi sharing option?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Hi all,

Can't you use your phone as a hotspot?

I'd try sideloading a browser app on to something like Google drive and then access it via out.storwge on file.explorer..

Also, iirc file explorer itself has a browser option built in to it. Worth a try.

Hope that makes sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭davemie

It should be possible to share your phones wifi connection with your shield over Bluetooth. It will slow, but should be enough to install the Chrome apk

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Do you have ES File explorer installed?

You could download chrome with that.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyxV5IJTg_4

• Registered Users Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭54and56

^^^^^

Great suggestions guys. This is my mission for today!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,482 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Just got home and Oreo update was waiting to download and install

• Registered Users Posts: 6,439 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Installed the Oreo update this morning, after dismissing it last night.
    For a 1gb download and update, I'd say it was done within 3 minutes. Very fast on the original Shield :)

Had a quick play about with it, but I'm liking the interface changes so far!!!

This update has broken 5.1 surround for me, I cannot get it to passthrough DTS to my receiver like I could before, it's now passing stereo. Anyone else have this issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

There's an audio out setting that defaults to 2.0 and can be changed to 5.1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Posted this on bargain alerts thread but may be useful here too:

FYI Oreo update may affect keyboard bluetooth pairing. If you are unable to pair your keyboard you must switch your language to US English. Support said they'll fix next release.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

The GeForce Now service has been updated. You can now play your Steam or UPlay catalog of games on the Shield. It is in Beta at the moment but should be open to everyone.

Not sure about pricing now and I haven't tried it but did notice it was available last night for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

The GeForce update isn't working for me yet. When I try open the app it tells me I need an update, but when it loads the Play store I've no update option.

Advertisement