Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nvidia Shield - Tips & tricks [Read post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

I see a few have mentioned Wifi and Ethernet with regards the connection,just info for some that may not be aware-Most of the Routers obviously have LAN connections at the back and usually one of these is a 1GB Connection whereas the others will be 100MB.
    I would advise to connect the Shield to the 1GB port.
    I have the Eir F2000 Modem and the high speed port is LAN port 4

with regards the 4K playback via plex-You need to make sure that all stream settings(Home/remote etc.) are set to Maximum etc. as this forces the Plex Server to play direct.

And for anyone who read my previous post about the Sandisk Drive being used as an internal drive and overheating as a result ,I have now bought a USB3.0 3Ft extension cable and installed the flash drive and problem solved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

with regards the 4K playback via plex-You need to make sure that all stream settings(Home/remote etc.) are set to Maximum etc. as this forces the Plex Server to play direct.

It's fine doing that but if the server has a maximum bandwidth set that's lower than what's needed to stream the media file it will transcode and you will not be able to stop it. If you don't have access to the server settings then you can't really complain about 4k not working, you are a passenger.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭54and56

Nas? I don't have the space. My 75TB are on Google Drive :cool:

What does it cost to keep 75TB on Google Drive?

Drive1534418347.png

What does it cost to keep 75TB on Google Drive?

$10 per month for unlimited. They have a limit of 1TB for less than 5 users but they don't enforce it.

https://gsuite.google.com/pricing.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Just tried out 4k on emby from my service provider and it’s playing justice league perfectly, when I tried last year it was buffering so I gave up

Can you PM me with the service provider please?

• Advertisement

xlogo wrote: »
    Can you please send me details as well.

Can the next person pm him besides asking here.
    These pm requests usually descend into long pages of requests drawing the attention of the mods

We were away on holiday when the big update came out so I only got to run at the weekend and the box has ended up in the following loop:

After the update (or when I restart the box) I get the following message screen

"Your SHIELD Android TV has been updated to the latest version of Android TV" and there is a blue box with "Continue" written in it.

When I click on "Continue" I get a message saying "Checking for updates" and a busy circle which after 20 seconds or so switches to a message saying "Unable to check for updates. Check your connection and try again." with a blue box stating "Go to network settings" which when clicked brings back up the "Your SHIELD Android TV has been updated to the latest............." message and round and round I go.

I've tried rebooting and totally unplugging etc but all I get is the same loop i.e. the box boots into the "Your SHIELD Android TV has been updated to the latest............." message and round and round I go.

Any suggestions how I can break the loop and get into network settings?

Thanks.

MAKE SURE you record the Serial Number of your device if you want to be able to get a replacement device should something like what I've experienced happen to you.

If you can't quote your device serial number to the support people they can't facilitate a device replacement should you need one.

Your serial number is available in three places:-

1. On the packaging of the box you received. Keep the box until you eventually ditch or sell on the Shield and you'll be golden.

2. In the system menu.

3. Printed on the exterior of the box itself under the tech logo's at about 0.25 font size which is 100% unreadable and can't be photographed and blown up, believe me I tried!!

The issue I had required a recall and replacement which went smoothly until they asked me for the serial number. I couldn't get it from the system menu (as I couldn't get into the system menu) and the printed serial number on the device is too small to read (I actually doubt there's a unique serial number printed on each device) so it came down to me still having the original packaging 8 months after I got it and thankfully (given the geek I am) I had it.

The lesson here is - Capture a screen shot of your system serial number or photograph your packaging before binning it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭VonZan

Has anyone bought a better remote for the shield? The lack of a power button and the battery issue is quite annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭little foot

Just press the microphone button and say power off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Squaredude

Battery issue? I only have to charge mine every few weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Squaredude wrote: »

Every few weeks! :eek:

I think the last time I charged mine was around Christmas and still don't need to charge them (Unless I just jinxed it).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

The remote for the shield is well known to be fairly poor. Compared to the game controller, it's much less responsive and trying to use it for voice commands is infuriating. Delay on starting to listen to your voice and no picking up what you say.

Using the game controller makes the whole system run very smooth with nearly flawless voice commands, but I hate using a game controller to control a TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Nvidia are testing an app for Shield TV with virtual keyboard and remote. It has been on a few sites over the past couple of days.
    https://www.ubergizmo.com/2018/08/nvidia-shield-tv-app-virtual-keyboard-and-remote/

There are many 3rd party remotes with voice control for less than €10 available online.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Suckit wrote: »
    Nvidia are testing an app for Shield TV with virtual keyboard and remote. It has been on a few sites over the past couple of days.
    https://www.ubergizmo.com/2018/08/nvidia-shield-tv-app-virtual-keyboard-and-remote/

There are many 3rd party remotes with voice control for less than €10 available online.

I've had it and it's not working on my shield yet. You have to be on Experience 7.1 or something

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Squaredude

Suckit wrote: »
    Squaredude wrote: »

Every few weeks! :eek:

I think the last time I charged mine was around Christmas and still don't need to charge them (Unless I just jinxed it).
    Mines been in constant use for the last 3 or so years so I'd say the battery life is starting to go a bit on it

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭xlogo

Anybody got a guide to setting up Emby on the Nividia shield?

Anybody got a guide to setting up Emby on the Nividia shield?

There's no setting up on the Shield, its a client. You need a server to connect to, you install this on your PC

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭michaelheno

I have a four month old shield and I am wondering has it become faulty there is a fairly loud clicking knocking type sound coming from it , it’s working ok just has this annoying sound had anyone come across this problem

OmegaGene wrote:
    Emby is just an app What are you trying to use it for ?

A media streaming service

A media streaming service

You have nothing to configure, just login

• Advertisement

You have nothing to configure, just login

Log onto the emby app or should I use Kodi (that seem to be looking for a server name in the settings). Thanks!

Log onto the emby app or should I use Kodi (that seem to be looking for a server name in the settings). Thanks!

Do you have a server name? You can use Emby connect with your Emby username and password to login and will not need the server name. Your provider can give you the name

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭studdlymurphy

Is emby just like plex with all the same features?

Do you have a server name? You can use Emby connect with your Emby username and password to login and will not need the server name. Your provider can give you the name

Have it sorted now - thanks!!

Is emby just like plex with all the same features?

More features but not as polished. Plex is closed source, it's locked down where Emby is open source and completely configurable.

I tried Emby server about 2-3 years ago and then went with Plex instead as it offered more and worked better, was more stable. I have now dropped Plex in favour of Emby because the Plex development team are busy adding bullcrap I don't need and not putting any time into fixing bugs. With Emby there's a full community of people willing to help, you don't get that with Plex as it's closed source.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,668 ✭✭✭corks finest

I have a four month old shield and I am wondering has it become faulty there is a fairly loud clicking knocking type sound coming from it , it’s working ok just has this annoying sound had anyone come across this problem
    No

doylefe wrote: »
    Using the game controller makes the whole system run very smooth with nearly flawless voice commands, but I hate using a game controller to control a TV.

The game controller doesn't play nice with the Prime Video app for me. It constantly and randomly fast forwards and rewinds etc even though it's sitting on a table with zero chance of anyone knocking the controller.

Only happens with Prime Video for me so may be an issue with that app rather than the controller.

The slim remote is a POS though. The cool touch slider for volume is either unresponsive, has major lag or isn't controllable i.e. it jumps straight from low to high volume. Very hard to increment the volume up or down.

Didn't someone post a link to an alternative remote recently or am I thinking of a different thread?

I've a Mi Box with a very similar remote expect they stuck with a simple rocker button for volume up/down. If it works you don't need to fix it!!!

More features but not as polished. Plex is closed source, it's locked down where Emby is open source and completely configurable.

I tried Emby server about 2-3 years ago and then went with Plex instead as it offered more and worked better, was more stable. I have now dropped Plex in favour of Emby because the Plex development team are busy adding bullcrap I don't need and not putting any time into fixing bugs. With Emby there's a full community of people willing to help, you don't get that with Plex as it's closed source.

Can the Emby server AND client run on the Shield the same way the Plex server and client can?

Can the Emby server AND client run on the Shield the same way the Plex server and client can?

No, it can only be a client

• Advertisement

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Never hear a sound from mine, might be worth sending back while it’s in warranty

Make sure you can quote the serial number (It's in the About menu) and if possible use the original packaging to return it.

Advertisement