Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nvidia Shield - Tips & tricks [Read post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭54and56

For Shield 1 I would suggest going here as others seem to have had the same issue

https://forums.geforce.com/default/board/159/shield-tv/

For Shield 2 Problem 2 the latest Plex Server version is 1.13.5.5291
    You need to push the update from the play store and also make sure your plex app is up to date

For Shield 2 problem 1 i suggest the link above again.

Thanks Clinton, appreciate the steer. Spent a ton of time with no success on this so far :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

Mr.S wrote: »
    Surprised there isn’t a Channel 4 App for Android TV, really annoying!

Is there any way to get the regular Android app sideloaded?

Casting from my iPhone doesn’t work, when playing media it won’t connect to the chromecast.

This should point you in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Hmm, I can't seem to find the All 4 APK on those links, presumably because the thread is a bit old?

Feel free to PM if against rules etc.

I dont believe it is

https://apkpure.com/all-4/com.channel4.ondemand

https://www.apkmonk.com/app/com.channel4.ondemand/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

Hmm, I can't seem to find the All 4 APK on those links, presumably because the thread is a bit old?

Feel free to PM if against rules etc.

Sorry the link to the apk from the XDA forum in that thread works and installs but it's too old and won't run.... But you can use the following search ALL4 apk mirror in google and on the apk mirror site you'll find the latest version of All4(you'll download it and side load it on the shield) . The app runs in portrait mode,but once you play something it'll change to landscape mode automatically.

But if you want it all in Landscape mode, you can download the following orientation app and set it to just Auto and this will run the whole app in landscape mode. It runs fine.

Here's the link for the set orientation app. This needs to be side loaded too. But anyway hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭studdlymurphy

Lookibg to get saorview on my shield through plex so i can watch it anywhere.

Ill likely want it on 3 tvs in the house and then 1 if out and about so ideally a 4 tuner usb card tbat works with shield or does this exist? I can only see dual.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,666 ✭✭✭corks finest

Casting from my iPhone doesn’t work, when playing media it won’t connect to the chromecast.
    Android?

Android?yeah have it on my android phone,can I cast it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Hi all,

just some words of caution.

I had bought a Sandisk USB 128GB USB3(flash drive) drive back in March and used it on the shield (2017 16GB version) as adopted internal storage.

It had migrated data at the time and was working fine with no problems.

On Saturday I noticed I had lost some apps and the shield was very slow and Plex was acting up also.

After a lot of trouble shooting I went into the Storage and Reset menu and noticed that the USB was being constantly scanned,I removed it and nearly burnt the fingers off myself such was the heat from it.
    I put the USB into my laptop and it seems it had a partition and the laptop saw it as two separate drives one allocated 16MB and the other allocated 114GB
    they were also different file formats(FAT,exfat,NTFS) I forget which variant but both differently assigned.
    I tried formatting and deleting the partition etc. then putting back into shield but it heated up again within 30 seconds and went into constant scan again.

I brought the USB back to Argos and swapped for a newer 3.1USB Drive and I have also ordered a USB 3 extension cable from Amazon which I will use to keep the USB from being directly plugged into the shield as from what I have read online this is not uncommon and the recommendation seems to be an extension cable from the shield USB port and then the USB into the extension cable as it seems to be the proximity of the drive directly into the port is causing the heat build up.
    I had this done already with the other port as I have several hard drives connected up through a powered USB 3 Hub.

So just a heads up for ye in case anyone is considering going down the internal storage expansion route.
    ultimately an SSD drive would be the best thing I presume for internal storage expansion but I believe the tendency is for these too heat up also,I understand Nvidia are aware of the issue but no resolution seems to be forthcoming.

Hi all,

I had bought a Sandisk USB 128GB USB3(flash drive) drive back in March and used it on the shield (2017 16GB version) as adopted internal storage.

On Saturday I noticed I had lost some apps and the shield was very slow and Plex was acting up also.

After a lot of trouble shooting I went into the Storage and Reset menu and noticed that the USB was being constantly scanned,I removed it and nearly burnt the fingers off myself such was the heat from it.
    I put the USB into my laptop and it seems it had a partition and the laptop saw it as two separate drives one allocated 16MB and the other allocated 114GB
    they were also different file formats(FAT,exfat,NTFS) I forget which variant but both differently assigned.
    I tried formatting and deleting the partition etc. then putting back into shield but it heated up again within 30 seconds and went into constant scan again.

I brought the USB back to Argos and swapped for a newer 3.1USB Drive and I have also ordered a USB 3 extension cable from Amazon which I will use to keep the USB from being directly plugged into the shield as from what I have read online this is not uncommon and the recommendation seems to be an extension cable from the shield USB port and then the USB into the extension cable as it seems to be the proximity of the drive directly into the port is causing the heat build up.
    I had this done already with the other port as I have several hard drives connected up through a powered USB 3 Hub.

So just a heads up for ye in case anyone is considering going down the internal storage expansion route.
    ultimately an SSD drive would be the best thing I presume for internal storage expansion but I believe the tendency is for these too heat up also,I understand Nvidia are aware of the issue but no resolution seems to be forthcoming.
    Thanks

Anyone have issues with casting on the new update?

My devices recognise the Shields chromecast, but can’t connect, it just times out.
    No issues bud

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭stimpson

Hi all,

I had issues with a 64 GB Sandusky drive similar to what you say. Luckily I was only using it for music in the car, but the thing is useless. It gets too hot to touch. If just stay away from the tiny SanDisks. It’s like they are too small to dissipate the heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Was just reading that tvirl is expected to introduce grouping soon.
    I have been using the live channels app and tvirl (importing), so that would be great news.
    Although they said on their twitter that "grouping will be available when it's ready" (that was back in December), and feck all else about it. I have read it on two different sites, although it could be that the 2nd site also read the first and mentioned it as fact.
    Still will be handy whenever it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Same idea but looks like there will be more functionally going on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭nedd

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Is Tvirl similar to stbemu ?

STBEMU emulates a set top box, hence the name, so you get the same interface. Channels are listed by category by default or depending on how your provider handles it.

TVIRL loads the channel list into the Live Channels App on Android TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭BandMember

Is anyone using their Shield via wifi rather than with an Ethernet cable? If so, how do you find the wifi on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭mightybashful

BandMember wrote: »
    Is anyone using their Shield via wifi rather than with an Ethernet cable? If so, how do you find the wifi on it?

No issues watching Netflix in HD on WiFi.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭54and56

No issues watching Netflix in HD on WiFi.

Same although bizarrely I get a better WiFi speed score from the same spot using my €70 Mi Box but both run IPTV, Netflix etc flawlessly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

I've just started to make the transition from Plex to Emby. Plex has gone to sh1t, devs adding crap nobody needs and not concentrating on fixing bugs or optimising. Emby is a keeper, it's fixed a lot of the transcoding and audio issues I've been having with the Shield and Plex. And that's with everything left on auto. Does a much better job of handling transcoding and starts playing quicker. I'm loving it so far.

I'm using Trakt to sync my watched status. I have multiple users but have only added myself for now until I get Emby fully configured. I'm running both servers together for now but plan to just drop Plex when done.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Am I correct saying Emby is a way for people to share their Media,probably not exactly what it is intended for . Never used it or looked in to it.

PM if its against forum rules.

yabadabado wrote: »
    Am I correct saying Emby is a way for people to share their Media,probably not exactly what it is intended for . Never used it or looked in to it.

PM if its against forum rules.

Yes, it's like Plex in that it's a server and client setup. I use it to access my own download media though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Squaredude

Decided to give emby a shot, seemed extremely slow and didn't handle 4k playback well at all. Didn't do too much messing about with settings though

BandMember wrote: »
    Tried it but tbh wasn't nearly as good as ethernet

Squaredude wrote: »
    Decided to give emby a shot, seemed extremely slow and didn't handle 4k playback well at all. Didn't do too much messing about with settings though

The thing about 4k is that you need to direct stream it so it's not being transcoded. It's the same for both Plex and Emby.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,843 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Emby updated yesterday on my Shield and was dreadful last night.. timeouts all over the shop. Might have been the server or my Internet but was playing Netflix last night on the same box without issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,843 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Didn’t notice the update but I noticed the time outs and tv shows up next catergory disappeared on my service (I’m currently binge watching southland,good show)
    I thought it was my internet
    Yep, 'Next Up TV' was dropping for me too..

.. I believe we're on the same service so maybe it's related.

Haven't tried it today.

PS - watched the first few episodes of Southland back when it aired and enjoyed, so will add it to my list! :D

4k didn’t really work on plex either unless you went on plex via kodi and I am sure emby is the same

4k works on both perfectly if you are in control of the server settings and set it up that it doesn't limit bandwidth and transcode, direct stream only. You have no control when you don't control the server.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Squaredude

4k didn’t really work on plex either unless you went on plex via kodi and I am sure emby is the same

Plex handles 4k perfectly for me

4k works on both perfectly if you are in control of the server settings and set it up that it doesn't limit bandwidth and transcode, direct stream only. You have no control when you don't control the server.
    This place is a mine of relevant information,good on ye boards

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

I wonder if all these people using Plex or Emby would be far better off using a simple NAS with Kodi.

Who actually needs transcoding or the overhead of a remote server.

Kodi is a far better media player than standalone Plex or Emby clients.

• Advertisement

doylefe wrote: »
    I wonder if all these people using Plex or Emby would be far better off using a simple NAS with Kodi.

Who actually needs transcoding or the overhead of a remote server.

Kodi is a far better media player than standalone Plex or Emby clients.

Nas? I don't have the space. My 75TB are on Google Drive :cool:

Advertisement