Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nvidia Shield - Tips & tricks [Read post #1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Thanks high horse
    Where do I get the games ?

Google for them, there's plenty of sites

• Registered Users Posts: 15,174 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

stbemu doesnt buffer for me, i asked around about the pro version and i was told it was advert free, but im yet to see an advert tbh

any benefits worth upgrading for ?
    I have no idea sorry! I just went straight for the Pro version.

The pro version removes ads and is compatible with the stalker phone app so you can use your phone as a remote.

The removal of ads is irrelevant on the shield as google won't allow any apps with ads on their ATV store, which is why you don't see ads in the free version on the shield. So on the shield the only benefit is the remote thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭ftm2008

I will and thanks
    Anyone use smartdnsproxy .. I have a year sub which worked fine on my firestick but and iOS devices but won’t work only shield .. Netflix fails to open .. GeForce now too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

ftm2008 wrote: »
    Anyone use smartdnsproxy .. I have a year sub which worked fine on my firestick but and iOS devices but won’t work only shield .. Netflix fails to open .. GeForce now too

I use smartdnsproxy with my shield, no issues.

Yeah year sub here with smartdnsproxy and it doesn't work for me anymore on the Shield. Think it was recommended on these forums back in the day.

• Advertisement

T-b0n3 wrote: »
    I use smartdnsproxy with my shield, no issues.

I couldn't get kodi iplayer or itv player to work anymore with it. May I ask which of the smart dns servers you are using please? You just set a static IP too yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

I couldn't get kodi iplayer or itv player to work anymore with it. May I ask which of the smart dns servers you are using please? You just set a static IP too yes?

I'm using the Irish DNS IP: 54.229.171.243

I remember it being a little work to get it working. Afraid to change anything now incase I break it! Sorry I'm not more help, but it can be done, I know that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

T-b0n3 wrote: »
    I'm using the Irish DNS IP xxxxx

^ Might not be good idea posting on public forum?

Mightn't work for long if spotted?
    Or maybe it doesn't matter - I can't claim to understand the tech..

UsedToWait wrote: »
    ^ Might not be good idea posting on public forum?

Mightn't work for long if spotted?
    Or maybe it doesn't matter - I can't claim to understand the tech..

It's the IP of a DNS server, not his own IP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

It's the IP of a DNS server, not his own IP

I knew that, just thought it mightn't be publicly available, except to subscribers..
    Likesay, maybe it's not an issue..

• Advertisement

nah it's on their website along with a load of others so I was wondering which one was working. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

This is all you need
    http://www.retrox.tv/

This.

Makes the purchase of the shield justifiable in its own right.

My shield went a bit mad there this evening. Kept turning itself on (which meant knocking off sky) for a while, I kept thinking that me or the wife were sitting on one of the controllers, but no, one (the games controller) was in a press, and the other lad was on the mantlepiece.

A restart of the machine seems to have solved it, but had me pulling the hair out for a while

Still have sky
    Down with that sort of thing

For one reason, and one reason only.

The wife is a complete and utter technophobe. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Nice little arrival when I came back from holiday.. shame I'm too tired to set it up this evening! :(

IMG_20180424_203035.jpg

A major vulnerability has been discovered in the Nvidia Tegra chip, could be good news, open the device up

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/04/24/tegra-x1-processor-vulnerability-discovered-affects-nvidia-shield-pixel-c-nintendo-switch/

Basq wrote: »
    Nice little arrival when I came back from holiday.. shame I'm too tired to set it up this evening! :(

IMG_20180424_203035.jpg

Get RetroX downloaded, Get a heap of retro games downloaded, and draw the curtains for a few days now. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

has anyone got a shield from the warehouse deals on amazon - wondering if the condition is generally ok?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

has anyone got a shield from the warehouse deals on amazon - wondering if the condition is generally ok?

I got one, was fine. It will differ from item to item. The quality description on the item listing and price will give you an indication of condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭54and56

I often wait to get something particularly expensive on a Warehouse deal and 95% of the time it's brand new where someone has taken it out of the box, changed their mind for whatever reason and sent it back. The packaging can be torn but apart from that most of what I've gotten is brand new unused.

There is also a generous returns policy on warehouse stuff so all you're really risking is the time and cost of returning it if it's not up to scratch. Careful if using Parcel Motel or similar though as that can complicate returns.

I often wait to get something particularly expensive on a Warehouse deal and 95% of the time it's brand new where someone has taken it out of the box, changed their mind for whatever reason and sent it back. The packaging can be torn but apart from that most of what I've gotten is brand new unused.

There is also a generous returns policy on warehouse stuff so all you're really risking is the time and cost of returning it if it's not up to scratch. Careful if using Parcel Motel or similar though as that can complicate returns.

How do you get a heads up on warehouse deals?

I've been using Amazon since 2006 and this seems to have passed me by. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭corks finest

Same here

• Registered Users Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭54and56

Well two things help:-

1. When you look up something you are interested in you'll usually see two prices, one is the new price and there is frequently a "used" price listed. These are the available Warehouse deals. See

Nvidia-Amazon1524687664.jpg

2. Install and use https://keepa.com (make sure to select the Amazon.co.uk site otherwise it'll track the .com site) which allows you to track the historical price of items on Amazon and more importantly it allows you to set a target price so e.g. if the price of the Nvidia Shield drops below £150 during a flash sale or if one becomes available cheap in the warehouse you'll get an instant alert and can grab it. It's useful for big items you'd like to get but don't want to pay full price for and are prepared to wait to get at a bargain price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Anyone tried using an airmouse (say, a Minix Neo A2 Lite or A3 -http://minix.com.hk/en/products/neo-a2-lite) with the Shield? How did you find it?

I'm not loving the stock remote so far, but that's after about only an hour of use, to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,522 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

corwill wrote: »
    Anyone tried using an airmouse (say, a Minix Neo A2 Lite or A3 -http://minix.com.hk/en/products/neo-a2-lite) with the Shield? How did you find it?

I'm not loving the stock remote so far, but that's after about only an hour of use, to be fair.

I have used the A3 with the Shield. It works perfectly but it's not really needed bar setting up some apps/ad ons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

corwill wrote: »

airmouse is essential when looking at non standard apps imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2 chriskey

Hello all I'm new to here just been reading a few post on the Nvidia shield. I'm from Cork, fed up of paying crazy rates to sky. I'm interested in getting an android box a few of my friends have the cheaper android tv boxes and they pay a certain amount every couple of months for the IPTV. All I'm interested in is having the box sets for the mrs, kids programmes for the small fella and live tv and ppv events for myself. Can anyone give me advice on what I should go for. If I was thinking the Nvidia shield how hard is it to set up from scratch. I've looked at a few youtube videos and seems straight forward. Thanks in advance for any help.

chriskey wrote: »
    Hello all I'm new to here just been reading a few post on the Nvidia shield. I'm from Cork, fed up of paying crazy rates to sky. I'm interested in getting an android box a few of my friends have the cheaper android tv boxes and they pay a certain amount every couple of months for the IPTV. All I'm interested in is having the box sets for the mrs, kids programmes for the small fella and live tv and ppv events for myself. Can anyone give me advice on what I should go for. If I was thinking the Nvidia shield how hard is it to set up from scratch. I've looked at a few youtube videos and seems straight forward. Thanks in advance for any help.
    Easy peasy,I'm in cork if u want to pm

• Registered Users Posts: 16,522 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Bought and set up a Mag 256 today. Nice little box and perfect if you just want a IPTV player. Very straightforward to set up and use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 chriskey

And as for the live tv sports ppv events etc do they work ok? The last thing I'd want is to sit down to a ppv event and it not work.

• Advertisement

chriskey wrote: »
    And as for the live tv sports ppv events etc do they work ok? The last thing I'd want is to sit down to a ppv event and it not work.

Need to be careful discussing IPTV , might close the thread

Advertisement