Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nvidia Shield - Tips & tricks [Read post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

So, I've managed to connect to Steam via GeForce, and I find that the on-screen keyboard for login doesn't have an underscore, "_", which I need to enter my account name. And guess what the keyboard on my old Minix airmouse doesn't have either! Flippin' stumped!

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Catmologen

corwill wrote: »
    So, I've managed to connect to Steam via GeForce, and I find that the on-screen keyboard for login doesn't have an underscore, "_", which I need to enter my account name. And guess what the keyboard on my old Minix airmouse doesn't have either! Flippin' stumped!

I had the same issue. If you login to steam on your pc you can change your login and password to something without an underscore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Any usb keyboard will work

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Has anyone tried TVIRL (app) yet?

Wondering what it's like, going to try it on Monday.

Any usb keyboard will work

I'll borrow one from work on Monday. Some pain in the hoop, though, in a very, very minor way.

• Advertisement

Catmologen wrote: »
    I had the same issue. If you login to steam on your pc you can change your login and password to something without an underscore.

Can't change my account name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

corwill wrote: »

Try the other English keyboard

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

Suckit wrote: »

I did. It worked. Took ages to import channels. And I’m not sure if you can edit the list.

Give it a go and see.

nedd wrote: »
    I did. It worked. Took ages to import channels. And I’m not sure if you can edit the list.

Give it a go and see.

Will do, I heard it was good, but I won't be near Shield until tomorrow, and with me I have Ubuntu, so can't try it on that. I thought I saw a way to edit the list, but not sure, as obviously I can't check and I have only scanned through one video.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

Give it a go and see.

Do you have any links to how you would do this with any given IPTV provider. I've setup StbEmu previously so curious if it's similar?

cronos wrote: »
    Do you have any links to how you would do this with any given IPTV provider. I've setup StbEmu previously so curious if it's similar?

I think it was as simple as getting the provider to give you an m3u link. Load that into TVIRL app and it imported the channels.

I think it was as simple as getting the provider to give you an m3u link. Load that into TVIRL app and it imported the channels.
    There is also a bit of a walkthrough here with all of the 'stuff' blacked out.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvrgXWCzBew

• Registered Users Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭54and56

Suckit wrote: »

Apologies if this is being too lazy but what is the potential benefit of TVIRL Vs STBEmu or Perfect Player? I currently use STBEmu as my main IPTV app and apart from the manky 80's GUI I think it's super.

BTW, if you want to run your IPTV on a Win 10 Laptop / PC check out the "MyIPTV Player" in the app store, it's super easy to use and light to run. Dead handy for sports/news if you have a 2nd monitor at work or have a large monitor as you can resize the window quite small.

Apologies if this is being too lazy but what is the potential benefit of TVIRL Vs STBEmu or Perfect Player? I currently use STBEmu as my main IPTV app and apart from the manky 80's GUI I think it's super.

BTW, if you want to run your IPTV on a Win 10 Laptop / PC check out the "MyIPTV Player" in the app store, it's super easy to use and light to run. Dead handy for sports/news if you have a 2nd monitor at work or have a large monitor as you can resize the window quite small.

TVIRL will load the channels into the Android TV Channels App. That is it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭chewed

I downloaded TVIrl and added in my playlist, and it loaded them. But as soon as it finished the app closed and when I launch the app again it's stuck in settings and I've no way of exiting back to main screen. Anyone else encountered this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭dougm1970

i read the tv repo app doesnt work any more.....whats a good way to show sideloaded apps on the main screen ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

dougm1970 wrote:
    i read the tv repo app doesnt work any more.....whats a good way to show sideloaded apps on the main screen ?

"Sideload Launcher" app.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭dougm1970

is there such a thing as a usb satellite tv tuner you could plug into these ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭banie01

dougm1970 wrote: »
    is there such a thing as a usb satellite tv tuner you could plug into these ?

Not that I've come across.
    You could use an existing E2 box and share the tuners with the VU+ plugin or by sharing the .m3u file the E2 box generates and using one of the IPTV plugins to view it.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I can't find any mention of a DVB-S/S2 tuner working?
    DVB-T/T2 tuners do work and usually fairly painlessly.

EDIT: Hauppauge and a few others do a USB DVB-S2 stick, don't know how well they play with the Shield tho.

Been away for a few days and seems like the Plex app updated on the shield

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

???

And??

Kuva wrote: »
    ???

And??

Looks more like the Kodi add-on. Not sure if I like it yet, I haven't fully investigated though. Will report back later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

banie01 wrote: »
    I can't find any mention of a DVB-S/S2 tuner working?
    DVB-T/T2 tuners do work and usually fairly painlessly.

EDIT: Hauppauge and a few others do a USB DVB-S2 stick, don't know how well they play with the Shield tho.

If anyone has a link to anyone that does play well feel free to PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I got the new update last night.

It doesn't look different much at all.

The new Netflix layout is more of a departure, looks wise. And for the better too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭54and56

Hi all,

I've different problems with two (2017 model) Shields I'd appreciate some advice on from those more knowledgeable than me here which basically means everyone here!!

Shield # 1

We were away on holiday when the big update came out so I only got to run at the weekend and the box has ended up in the following loop:

After the update (or when I restart the box) I get the following message screen

"Your SHIELD Android TV has been updated to the latest version of Android TV" and there is a blue box with "Continue" written in it.

When I click on "Continue" I get a message saying "Checking for updates" and a busy circle which after 20 seconds or so switches to a message saying "Unable to check for updates. Check your connection and try again." with a blue box stating "Go to network settings" which when clicked brings back up the "Your SHIELD Android TV has been updated to the latest............." message and round and round I go.

I've tried rebooting and totally unplugging etc but all I get is the same loop i.e. the box boots into the "Your SHIELD Android TV has been updated to the latest............." message and round and round I go.

Any suggestions how I can break the loop and get into network settings? (The WiFi network is fine BTW so unless the update somehow reset the WiFi network connections I don't see how the network is the source of the problem.)

Shield # 2

This box gets used all the time so it was given the big updated soon after it came out and all is good bar the following two niggles:

1. I use StbEMU (Pro) for my IPTV subscription and it's been working fine since the update but since yesterday when I launch it all I get is a 100% grey screen which stays onscreen for about 10 seconds and then returns to the Shield homescreen. It's like the app trys but fails to even launch. Is this likely to just be a case of uninstalling and re-installing the StbEMU app? I also have Perfect Player so not stuck but re-installing StbEMU will be a bit of a pain hence I'm asking to see if this is a known issue with a known fix which doesn't involve reinstalling the app?

2. How do you get Plex Server to run on the Shield after the new update? When I go into the app, scroll down through settings to "PLEX MEDIA SERVER" and click "On" in the Status option I get a pop up saying "Starting Server - Please wait while Plex Media Server Starts" but then the pop up disappears and the status button confirms the server is stopped and when I try to connect to the server in the app I get an error message saying "We were unable to connect to any of your Plex Media Servers. Please check that they are accessible".

I'm running Media Server V1.13.2.5149.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

For Shield 1 I would suggest going here as others seem to have had the same issue

https://forums.geforce.com/default/board/159/shield-tv/

For Shield 2 Problem 2 the latest Plex Server version is 1.13.5.5291
    You need to push the update from the play store and also make sure your plex app is up to date

For Shield 2 problem 1 i suggest the link above again.

Advertisement