Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭heffo500

paulers06 wrote: »
    Does anyone know of any Marijuana ETFs? There are a couple in the US which we can't get on Degiro but there might be a couple on the European exchanges

I couldn't get any on Degiro, I think they are on an OTC Exchange in Canada that Degiro doesn't support.

I bought Canopy Growth at early 30s a while ago and invested in Aurora Cannabis last week.

Anyone else invested in these?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

heffo500 wrote: »
    Two ETFs I currently plan to invest are the below:

iShares Edge MSCI USA Momentum Factor ETF
    iShares Automation & Robotics UCITS ETF USD (Acc) | RBOT

Anyone any thoughts on these?

Where are you investing in them?

Pussyhands wrote: »
    Where are you investing in them?

Degiro, As per PRIIPs these have their KID documents so you can trade them.

heffo500 wrote: »
    Degiro, As per PRIIPs these have their KID documents so you can trade them.

So these are US ETFs? Not massively understanding why US ETFs can't be traded.

So these are US ETFs? Not massively understanding why US ETFs can't be traded.

Yes they are but they have listed lines on European exchanges too.

I am open to correction but you can trade any ETF once it has a KID document. I spoke to BlackRock about this and they said some ETFs will never get a KID document as they are for institutional investors not retail Investors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭AtticusFinch86

I've currently some savings sitting in DeGiro that I want to invest. I'm a newbie to investing so I want to spend a couple of months doing some research before I start to invest in individual stocks, however, I also want to put my savings to some productive use in the mean time.

Can anyone recommend a euro index to invest in? I was thinking the accion eurostoxx50 but I'm open to suggestions. I'd also rather avoid currency issues if possible.

I've currently some savings sitting in DeGiro that I want to invest. I'm a newbie to investing so I want to spend a couple of months doing some research before I start to invest in individual stocks, however, I also want to put my savings to some productive use in the mean time.

Can anyone recommend a euro index to invest in? I was thinking the accion eurostoxx50 but I'm open to suggestions. I'd also rather avoid currency issues if possible.

Maybe something like this:

https://www.ishares.com/ch/individual/en/products/251861/ishares-msci-europe-ucits-etf-acc-fund

You can buy it on Degrio and it's traded in Euro, I would split your investment across a few ETFs from different regions ie one US one, a euro one maybe an emerging market one and a UK one.

This is just my opinion and I'm open to correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,915 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

A UK one right now might not be the smartest idea but who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

Thinking about throwing a few hundred € into an ETF myself...Renewable energy? ISEQ tracker? One of the free ones on DeGiro?

Thinking about throwing a few hundred € into an ETF myself...Renewable energy? ISEQ tracker? One of the free ones on DeGiro?

What is the costs for a normal ETF? Where can this info be found?

• Advertisement

Thargor wrote: »
    A UK one right now might not be the smartest idea but who knows.

I think that longterm the UK£ won't stay as weak as it has been for the last few years so that to me offers some "insurance" about buying UK stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Skelet0n

What does "normal" mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,145 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Worth a read before you go down the ETF road https://www.irishtimes.com/business/personal-finance/don-t-invest-in-an-etf-until-you-understand-the-tax-1.3421331

Maybe just pick the best of what's in the ETF basket and buy shares in those companies directly

DeGiro man! It's all there. Do some reading!!

DeGiro man! It's all there. Do some reading!!

It's all complicated. Futures, options.

I was on Degiro yesterday and I have two US companies only yet my portfolio went down...how could it drop if trading doesn't happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

I am looking to get into GE , this is a long term investment as short term it could still be volatile , but under 13 bucks looks like value in the long term

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

I was on Degiro yesterday and I have two US companies only yet my portfolio went down...how could it drop if trading doesn't happen?

Exchange rates

• Registered Users Posts: 28,145 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Foreign exchange rates.

Maybe just pick the best of what's in the ETF basket and buy shares in those companies directly

Gillen Markets recently mentioned that Research (I didn't read the whole thing so don't know who did the research etc) has shown that most of the top ten stocks in an index under perform in the subsequent 10-year period :)

The ole past performance is no guarantee of future returns adage ....... of course, the best of what's in the ETF basket is highly subjective.

Went in on Square Enix there. Frankfurt Exchange. Couple of blockbusters this side of Xmas.

https://techacute.com/tencent-square-enix-strategic-partnership/

Big alliance announced, new Tomb Raider out next week and Dragon Quest getting rave reviews. Square up 5.4% today

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Foreign exchange rates.

This. Hell, the share price could go up and your portfolio could be down due to the differences in exchange rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭b4bmm

crushproof wrote: »
    The merger really doesn't seem to be boding well for TAW in the short term, price has fallen to 34c now while others Lithium stocks such as Galaxy are doing quite well.

Interesting to see what happens when everything is sorted out but my portfolio isn't looking great right now!
    You wont know whether the merger will bode well until after the merger. I cant wait until its wrapped up.

You need to have conviction in why you bought in the first place, have those reasons changed or is it just you being emotional because there is red on your screen.

The lithium sector is definitely under pressure but TAW has locked in production sales until the end of next year. So where are the risks then, well the offtake partner could go broke, the biggest risk I see right now, not because it will happen but there is always a chance it can. TAW plant will not perform well, we are already seeing evidence that thats not true but **** can happen. TAW costs of production remain high and company is treading water, I want to see evidence of production costs dropping from Q3 into Q4, there was a slight tell in the last Q that they were already slowly dropping month to month and I want to see that to continue. Of course there are others but they are the main ones for me going forward.

As regards progress and a rising SP I want to see production costs dropping as I said and I want to see actual production increasing through optimisations, both of which will lead into more cashflow (higher production leads to lower cost per ton of production along with pre strip completion hopefully by Q1 next year) and a greater cash position to allow further expansions (fines circuit) which will again lead into more production and lower costs of production. I want to see resource update this year and more exploration to increase that. I want to see optimisations being completed this year and then next year fines (hopefully Q1) and TA facility fully sorted out (more cost reductions through TA credits). So it is a work in progress and needs to be finely balanced. Also by Q1/2 next year all the offtake prepayments (15% of each shipment) will be paid so again more money hitting the bottom line for each shipment.

I wouldn't touch GXY with a fifty foot poll unless shorters drastically reduce there positions. Look at SYR to see how long shorters can and will hold onto a company when they have a high conviction to the downside. They just raised another $100M today and shorters have been holding about 20% of that company for 2 years now, it has just hit a multi year low today also. Im not saying sell your GXY but its worth asking why are the shorters so heavy on GXY.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭MurDawg

CTRIP hit a 52 week low today, great price.
    I see them hitting previous heights before EOY

MurDawg wrote: »
    CTRIP hit a 52 week low today, great price.
    I see them hitting previous heights before EOY

I bought them 20% higher ago ..... long-term one for me

• Registered Users Posts: 17,915 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Bloodbath in Lithium lately, heading back towards my buyin prices last year, I'm going to be stocking up though.

Verastem.
    https://seekingalpha.com/article/4204328-big-picture-analysis-verastem-oncology

Biotech bloodbath yesterday too, good buying opportunity.

Skelet0n wrote: »
    Verastem.

Reckon this could be looking at large gains if approved in Oct? Is $9 good value right now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Verastem.

The biotechs have days like that every so often.
    Picked up a few more VKTX when they dipped under $12 and a few GERN to boot.

Reckon this could be looking at large gains if approved in Oct? Is $9 good value right now?

I don't think it'll double over night if that's what you mean, but with approval they're set to get straight to selling it, big revenue on the way. $9 is as good as you'll get I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

I don't think it'll double over night if that's what you mean, but with approval they're set to get straight to selling it, big revenue on the way. $9 is as good as you'll get I think.

I reckon the approval is more or less factored in so I wouldn't be looking to flip it short term based on that. They have pretty much established the sales channels to cash in on approval so that's where price appreciation will come over the next months and years.

Advertisement