Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,133 ✭✭✭✭unkel

You'd want to aim a little higher, take profit somewhere between €75 and €90. VW and Porsche sales in China are going good. Thank the Donald.

Good morning this morning, almost back in black :)

Might aim a bit higher than I usually do alright. This is a lower risk stock than any of the ones I've invested in before.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

Bob Harris wrote: »
    Often enough with big news pending the SP goes down before it is announced. It's probably some investors getting a little nervous that the announcement won't be positive and banking profits and MM's doing a bit of market manipulation and getting their hands on cheaper shares for bigger profits.
    Look at Madrigal Pharma - in May it went from $130 to $108 in the days leading up to it's NASH announcement and when it hit went to over $300.

Yes - I understand that now. Thanks for the opinion. I'll hold onto them (as they say, it's not a loss until you sell for less than you bought them for - which was $9.25)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Yes - I understand that now. Thanks for the opinion. I'll hold onto them (as they say, it's not a loss until you sell for less than you bought them for - which was $9.25)

If you believe in the company and product (I do) would you not grow your holding ? I've another order in for this afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Skelet0n

Don't get into biotech stocks if ya can't handle swings like that, that's nothing. Stocks can move 20% easily on no news, most manipulated regulated sector by far.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

If you believe in the company and product (I do) would you not grow your holding ? I've another order in for this afternoon.

I've a lot of my savings in stocks on DeGiro as it is. Don't know if I'm comfortable putting in more until I get more experience. Only bought my first shares in February. Have about €3k invested but value is down at €1965 this morning.

• Advertisement

I've a lot of my savings in stocks on DeGiro as it is. Don't know if I'm comfortable putting in more until I get more experience. Only bought my first shares in February. Have about €3k invested but value is down at €1965 this morning.

I'm down nearly 4k this year but majority of my portfolio is up. Think long and don't check every day unless you plan on buying more. The more you invest, the less % you'll be down which eases the pain, albeit an illusion.

You are down 33% YTD. Increase portfolio to 4k and you'll only be down 20% etc. Might sound silly, but it's how I operate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

I'm down nearly 4k this year but majority of my portfolio is up. Think long and don't check every day unless you plan on buying more. The more you invest, the less % you'll be down which eases the pain, albeit an illusion.

You are down 33% YTD. Increase portfolio to 4k and you'll only be down 20% etc. Might sound silly, but it's how I operate.

That is frankly terrifying advice

• Registered Users Posts: 65,133 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Maybe against the spirit of this thread, but people should think about investing in a pension before they think about investing in shares. You get full relief at you marginal rate of tax so if you are a higher rate payer, if you use EUR60 of your net income and stick it into a pension fund, it means EUR100 goes in. You also don't pay anything in capital gains taxes and you won't start paying anything until you take retirement. At which point you can take a huge chunk tax free and you might only pay lower rate on the rest

Those kinds of net after tax gains are pretty much impossible to reach if you are investing in shares yourself, unless you hit something real lucky (like winning the lotto)

That is frankly terrifying advice

As opposed to advice I'm just sharing how I operate and have operated for years. Don't just view your YTD losses as money down the drain, look at the bigger picture. Percentages mean nothing in reality. A different story if you are trading and just looking to get in / get out obviously.

Increasing the holding in blue chip anchors in my portfolio will as always eventually erode any losses in the riskier investments.

Chasing losses like that is bad idea.

• Advertisement

Skelet0n wrote: »
    Chasing losses like that is bad idea.

EDIT: I mean investing in other stocks not the loss making ones.

unkel wrote: »
    Maybe against the spirit of this thread, but people should think about investing in a pension before they think about investing in shares. You get full relief at you marginal rate of tax so if you are a higher rate payer, if you use EUR60 of your net income and stick it into a pension fund...............

Executive pensions for self employed folk are better again and you can really lash the money into them.

As opposed to advice I'm just sharing how I operate and have operated for years. Don't just view your YTD losses as money down the drain, look at the bigger picture. Percentages mean nothing in reality. A different story if you are trading and just looking to get in / get out obviously.

Increasing the holding in blue chip anchors in my portfolio will as always eventually erode any losses in the riskier investments.

So forget the %, just invest in what you think are wise & rational investments. Literally throwing money into the account to skew the percentage in the corner is head in the sand stuff.

So forget the %, just invest in what you think are wise & rational investments. Literally throwing money into the account to skew the percentage in the corner is head in the sand stuff.

Exactly, worrying about the percentage loss of a single year is head in the sand stuff, microeconomics.

Exactly, worrying about the percentage loss of a single year is head in the sand stuff, microeconomics.

But if you're investing more to get the % up, surely you are worrying about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

VKTX up 140% pre market

"Viking Therapeutics Announces Positive Top-Line Results from Phase 2 Study of VK2809 in Patients with Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease (NAFLD) and Elevated LDL-Cholesterol"

MDGL - down $30 - now they've got competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭crushproof

Viking!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

What are your long term holds (+5 years) ?

I like Visa, Microsoft, McDonalds

Anyone who bought my initial tip is now up 600%.

Bought Viking a few weeks back thanks to a tip here. Love this place !

• Advertisement

But if you're investing more to get the % up, surely you are worrying about it?

It's an excuse to increase my portfolio and long term objections even faster.

Expecting upgrades, shorts covering, VK5211 coming too. VKTX sees 30+ this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Anyone who bought my initial tip is now up 600%.

.... are you gonna make us use the sites search function! The inhumanity

Anyone looking at VKTX? Looks like it could be a real growth stock.
    Viking Therapeutics. Biotech company for endocrine and metabolic diseases. Have one drug in stage 2 clinical trials. Posted their Q1 financial results yesterday and the share price went up 8%. If the drug makes it to market it'll be a serious win. Then again it might not.

Just checked. Price was 4.60 then.

I owe you a pint Skelet0n. Great day at the races

So... Viking! Hold for phase 3 or sell?

I'm gonna throw out a suggestion that was first touted here last year for what it's worth.

Magnis asx:mns
    Their graphite mining operation in Zimbabwe is back up after govt. shakedown.
    They've teamed up with factories in new York and Siemens for battery production.
    Teamed up with electric concept car company backed by Williams F1.

I was catching a falling knife since it was first mentioned but seems to be bobbing along now between .35 and .37.

Long hold though.

So... Viking! Hold for phase 3 or sell?

Never hurts to take some profits but with another drug in the pipeline with results soon, I don't see why you would sell out. Phase 3 is a ways off but buyout can come any time. I don't see much downside to be honest, great company.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,899 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Never hurts to take some profits but with another drug in the pipeline with results soon, I don't see why you would sell out. Phase 3 is a ways off but buyout can come any time. I don't see much downside to be honest, great company.
    Did you have any inclination at the time that that drug was going to make it through trials? How if you don't mind me asking? Why tip that over all the other Biotech coin tosses?

Also got any more tips? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Got into AMD back in April at $13
    They still got a lot in them I think
    VKTX had a really good day

Advertisement