Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We need more Prisons

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

just hang the murderers and the pedos, easily more room available then

• Registered Users Posts: 33,022 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I think you know PCB! I think you know.

Id be embarrassed to repeat it for a 4th time, might even fall foul of some badgering protocol

Well, that's easily checkable and having gone back through your posts on this thread there has has indeed been no question asked by you three times.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Well, that's easily checkable and having gone back through your posts on this thread there has has indeed been no question asked by you three times.

Check again

Check again
    Unless you've edited the posts result will be the same.

Stop time wasting, I'm out if here. You can have the last word (which I'm guessing wont be a question)

Check again

Stop time wasting, I'm out if here. You can have the last word (which I'm guessing wont be a question)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Righteo Matlock:rolleyes:
    Pity you're off, but if you come back, have a look at 1 2 3

unedited you'll note.
    The only thing youve been right on is your last point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

splinter65 wrote: »
    What did he hit John with? What did he threaten John’s wife with? What did John’s children witness?
    As per Wanderer78's post that patrick was responding to or hurler32's post before that, he doesn't have to have threatened John's wife, to have hit or threatened John, or for John's children to have been there, or for John to even have a wife and kids.

Patrick decided to call them violent, yet neither of those posters were discussing violent acts. Added to that patrick never specified a violent break in, just them being deemed 'violent' people - so a single charge for getting in a drunken fight may even suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭BowSideChamp

MrPudding wrote: »
    Would it be sensible to perhaps look at other countries for guidance? We could look at the good old US of A. They have the death penalty, they have non-concurrent sentencing, they have 3 strike rules, they have chain gangs and they have high level of recidivism, over 70% within 5 years.

We could look at Norway too. Norway actually tries to rehabilitate its prisoners. First, it is very picky about what criminal it actually sends to prison and has various programmes to help convicted criminals, those sent to prison and those not sent to prison. The prisons are very, very cushy and their recidivism rate is around 20%.

So here's the thing. Study after study, and real world experience shows that most of the ideas being mooted in this thread don't actually do anything to rehabilitate criminals or reduce recidivism. If all you want to do is punish people and make them suffer, then perhaps they do that job, but if you are actually interested in improving society, rather than punishing individuals that commit crime, then moving more toward a model like Norway's is the better solution.

I suspect that in Ireland, like in the UK, any move towards a model like Norway's would be greeted by howls of protest. Any move that shows any kind of compassion or desire to help criminals is screamed down, even though, as Norway shows, it would be much more effective in rehabilitating criminals, reducing crime and improving society generally.

If you are one of the people that think we should bring back the death penalty, public floggings, slopping out, slavery for criminals, and longer sentences for any crimes, then you need to ask yourself if you are actually interested reducing crime and recidivism and improving society (as opposed to simply punishing people) because those things are not compatible.

MrP

Norway has pretty much the same reoffending rate as the rest of the world if you use a common definition of recidivism. You can read all about it in a Norwegian Govt study - http://www.ssb.no/en/forskning/discussion-papers/_attachment/166596

We need to punish people for their crimes. If you commit 5 burglaries you should get 5 separate sentences and prison terms - not 5-for-1 concurrent freebies. Long sentences to keep them away from society.

markodaly wrote: »
    Not privitisation of jails per say. I really does not matter who owns the prison so long a it exists in the first place. It is clear that Ireland does not have enough prison space.

Screen-Shot-2015-02-12-at-3.05.01-PM.jpg

The biggest factor in the decrease of crimes in the US is by locking people up.

If we locked up people and get them to serve their full sentence, crime in Ireland would be reduced.

Emm... that graph bears no relation to the first sentence you've written. It just shows that the US locks more people up than it used it - where's the relationship to committed crime? Reduction, increase or no effect?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,119 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

markodaly wrote: »

One of the major issues behind crime are broken families and the absence of a strong male father figure. Anytime someone mentions family values they get jeered at as if they want to bring back the 1950's, yet no one actually admits that they have a point. If you come from a broken family or raised by a single mother you are much much more likely to have a worse life than someone who was raised in a secure household. The facts on this are indisputable.QUOTE]

You mention 'the absence of a strong male father figure'
    I was raised by a single mother( a widow with four small children) There was no 'strong male father figure' in the house but by God she was as strong a person as ever lived. She was independent and took no crap from anyone and raised her kids in an era when there were no handouts and women were treated like **** and very often treated like **** by 'strong male father figures'. We lived near a few pubs and many's the time I saw 'strong male fathers figures' stumble out of them while their families suffered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭turbbo

McCrack wrote: »
    Sentencing for persons who commit further offences on bail attract consecutive sentences and not concurrent. Thats set out in Statute, judges dont have discretion.

Thats not what the ex-cop on the radio said - he said they end up serving concurrent sentences so that's why there is a huge spike in crime committed while on bail. Not sure if you're right and he's wrong??
    McCrack wrote: »
    Criminal Legal aid payments I can assure you for the work and time involved do not measure up. There are certainly far more lucrative areas of practice than legal aid work

Don't know of any charity working lawyers - send me their numbers if you know of any thanks!!

No money in free legal aid ... hahahahahahahahahahahaha.....
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/criminal-legal-aid-bill-ran-5m-over-budget-in-2016-1.3164505

Advertisement