Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

cloudatlas wrote: »
    And what do most of those brands have in common- poor quality.

How many have you tried?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

GSP had been stripped. He retired, the belt was given to someone else, he was still stuck in the clause.

I'm pretty positive GSP still held the belt when he retired (or announced he was taking time away from the sport) I'm sure he said he was relinquishing the title, that's different to being stripped of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

I'd wager this was another Pegasus World Cup type deal, the exact kind that suits Conor and that he will accept pretty much without discrimination, i.e. minimal commitment on his behalf in respect of time/ effort and with a massive pay cheque. The fact that it was in Weston lends some credence to this. It could've been any brand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 393 ✭✭Didactic Ninja

i don't understand this " he is too smart " thing that people throw around.

money begets money. once you reach a certain critical mass of wealth and social media followers it keeps rolling in. he's not elon musk.

the collison twins who invented stripe-they are two smart irish lads.

mcgregor is doing nothing that any of us couldn't do -bar being an incredible mma fighter (the one thing he ISNT doing now).

he should be lauded for his bravery and skills and he put it all on the line and got to the top .fair play to him. then he took his ball and ran off.

but a spade is a spade- he is just paddy kardashian now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

glasso wrote: »
    with the whisky thing I don't know... it's obviously just a rebranding of someone else's whisky from who knows where. Traditionally whisky brands are based on heritage and history not on a current celebrity.
    the only big celebrity spirit that I can think of is the George Clooney friends Tequila thing that was bought out but that had some sort of organic cool story going for it where him and some mates got some Tequila made for them initially to get the sort of drink they wanted (which no doubt has long ceased to be the case) but which the brand can leverage.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2017/06/21/george-clooney-accidentally-started-a-tequila-company-worth-1-billion.html

maybe the McGregor might work as a novelty thing for some "fans" who buy into him but I don't see it working on a large scale.

It's being made by the same place in cork that sells the same whiskey under a hape of other names/brands one of them being Sean's Bar in Athlone's new whiskey. It's a pretty basic whiskey and won't be winning anyone over from Bushmills, Tullamore Dew or Jameson on taste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭cletus

money begets money. once you reach a certain critical mass of wealth and social media followers it keeps rolling in. he's not elon musk.

mcgregor is doing nothing that any of us couldn't do -bar being an incredible mma fighter (the one thing he ISNT doing now).

he should be lauded for his bravery and skills and he put it all on the line and got to the top .fair play to him. then he took his ball and ran off.

Money begets money? How did that work out for Mike Tyson, or Willie Nelson, or any of a number of American football players who are now broke?

Once you start earning the money McGregor has, your lifestyle changes, and it requires more money to maintain those changes. A couple of poor decisions is all it takes to lose it, so he might as well take as much money as people are willing to hand him for as long as they are willing to hand it to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Go to Texas Fried Chicken in Crumlin and order the above. Thank me later

Is Crumlin the only place still selling TFC? I grew up on the stuff when I lived in Drumcondra. Heavenly lord, the superchips...

Hillbillies is an almost like for like replacement but still isn't close enough to town for me! Maybe that's a good thing tho.

I'm sure this is on topic somehow...

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

cliggg wrote: »
    Less than 5 years ago he had no money. Now he has over 100 million. He is too smart to throw all that away. He will only get richer. As for the stuff you listed I have no idea about any of it really. I would guess the whiskey will be a good seller in the same way Beckham's colognes are. It's about the name not the contents.

I've no doubt that he will still be in money down the road.

The thing with Whiskey is, if it's expensive, it better be good, otherwise it wont sell.
    With all the Vodka's and Tequilla's mentioned, that's the type of stuff that people go mad for in bottle service in the US, it would never be a bottle of brown.

So it's a more niche market if that makes sense, and the type of drinker in the market that will immediately dismiss it if it's not good but expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I've no doubt that he will still be in money down the road.

The thing with Whiskey is, if it's expensive, it better be good, otherwise it wont sell.
    With all the Vodka's and Tequilla's mentioned, that's the type of stuff that people go mad for in bottle service in the US, it would never be a bottle of brown.

So it's a more niche market if that makes sense, and the type of drinker in the market that will immediately dismiss it if it's not good but expensive.
    I get what you're saying but my assumption on this one is that it will be bought by eh.. how to say this nicely.... The absolute fcuking scum that ruined the Lidl in Citywest the other day would be the types wanting this I think. I don't think whiskey connoisseurs will be either the target market or customer base. I expect there will be lots of instagram pics of lads with their faces faces covered holding a bottle of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

:rolleyes: Nice.

If McGregor is doing nothing any of us could do, bar being an incredible MMA fighter, than how come other fighters can't do it.

The bang of begrudgery around here is laughable. How many of us have got infront of a room of thousands, cameras and lights and spoke the way he can? People don't seem to want to admit it because of his crass nature and his seemingly implied class, but he is a very, very sharp individual. He speaks as well as he strikes, he's very calculated in most of what he says and does. It's no accident he's in the position he is now, and the fact he's created a brand - even if you don't like it - has to be commended.

For once it's refreshing an Irish sport star is doing their own thing and aren't held accountable by these sort of unwritten laws that all Irish sports stars must act as statesmen because they represent the country. Conor represents himself, you or I might not like his character, but good for him. He's doing what other could not do - not what they were not willing do. That's the difference.

• Advertisement

.ak wrote: »

If McGregor is doing nothing any of us could do, bar being an incredible MMA fighter, than how come other fighters can't do it.

The bang of begrudgery around here is laughable. How many of us have got infront of a room of thousands, cameras and lights and spoke the way he can? People don't seem to want to admit it because of his crass nature and his seemingly implied class, but he is a very, very sharp individual. He speaks as well as he strikes, he's very calculated in most of what he says and does. It's no accident he's in the position he is now, and the fact he's created a brand - even if you don't like it - has to be commended.

For once it's refreshing an Irish sport star is doing their own thing and aren't held accountable by these sort of unwritten laws that all Irish sports stars must act as statesmen because they represent the country. Conor represents himself, you or I might not like his character, but good for him. He's doing what other could not do - not what they were not willing do. That's the difference.

Jesus, now that I think of it..haven't seen a post like this in a while..

cletus wrote: »
    Money begets money? How did that work out for Mike Tyson, or Willie Nelson, or any of a number of American football players who are now broke?

Once you start earning the money McGregor has, your lifestyle changes, and it requires more money to maintain those changes. A couple of poor decisions is all it takes to lose it, so he might as well take as much money as people are willing to hand him for as long as they are willing to hand it to him.

thats their fault for going broke. I'm saying money earns money.once that snowball starts you are freewheeling . if you stick it up your nose or buy monkeys like michael jackson thats your own prerogative.

so because i haven't spoken in a room full of people i have no say?
    most of his engagements are to paying sycophants like that circle jerk in manchester.
    any apologies he has had to make have been from instagram or twitter, never doing an interview with a kimmage or a McKenna who might ask some uncomfortable questions.
    i haven't thrown a touchdown pass so ill stop talking about tom brady. I've no degree in economics so ill stop talking about the budget in december.
    I've never built a house or worked for an board pleanala- ill bite my tongue over the housing crisis.

i never mentioned class. robbie keane was from tallaght. plenty of boxers revered here- travellers some of them.

you mentioned class.

jade goody had a brand. katie price had a brand. we don't have to genuflect to millionaires because they are richer than us. i hold them up to the same rudimentary scrutiny as everyone else.

I get what you're saying but my assumption on this one is that it will be bought by eh.. how to say this nicely.... The absolute fcuking scum that ruined the Lidl in Citywest the other day would be the types wanting this I think. I don't think whiskey connoisseurs will be either the target market or customer base. I expect there will be lots of instagram pics of lads with their faces faces covered holding a bottle of it.

people who clap when the plane lands.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

people who clap when the plane lands.

Country folk?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Lukker- wrote: »
    Country folk?

You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 39,123 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Well, looking at some of his ventures..the suits, do you really think that the average lad is going to be forking out a few grand for a McG suit, or will they go for one inspired by him for a couple of hundred in a high street store.
    As for the whiskey, we are in a gin era, and if it's expensive and doesn't taste as it should, then it's not going to sell.
    The FAST thing as well seems to be mocked a bit.
    The suits weren't aimed at lads on the street. You are also assuming that it cost him money to develop, I'd doubt that. To be me it looked like a McGregor line in a existing brand. Basically co-promotion.

Gin has seen a boom lately true, I'm a fan. But gin is cheap and fast to make, so it's got a much lower ceiling than an aged whiskey.
    Whiskey is doing better than ever now too. Constantly limited editionswhiskeys, special batches coming out. Irish whiskey in particular is booming. How many distilleries are in Ireland now verses 2008?
    And what do most of those brands have in common- poor quality.
    Poor quality. I'm guessing you just assumed based on nothing.

I don't know the tequilas, but Aviation Gin, Crystal Skull and Ciroc are top shelf spirits. Haig is not for my taste, but it's an well established scotch.

I don't think whiskey connoisseurs will be either the target market or customer base. I expect there will be lots of instagram pics of lads with their faces faces covered holding a bottle of it.
    If it's a massive mark up on an existing whiskey, then obviously it won't be popular with whiskey drinkers. But if it's properly priced, I'd expect a whiskey drinker to try it and assess it on its merits.

Fanboys will buy it for the label.
    Whiskey connoisseurs will try it despite the label.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

How many have you tried?

I read reviews if there is a bad consensus e.g. haig club or something is gimmicky e.g. glass skull shaped bottle then it's best to swerve it.

I read reviews if there is a bad consensus e.g. haig club or something is gimmicky e.g. glass skull shaped bottle then it's best to swerve it.
    The glass skull bottle is very 1980s. But what do you expect from a Ghostbuster. ;)
    Quality wise for what's in the I've only hear good things about it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

As for the whiskey, we are in a gin era, and if it's expensive and doesn't taste as it should, then it's not going to sell.

Nah, the whiskey market is bigger than ever. It's clearly going to be a blended whiskey that they don't distill. It'll be priced for a certain market that already wants to drink it without caring what it tastes like.

Like the Gym King sports wear. Not great design but people seem to lap it up that want Conor's lifestyle.

Pitbull (Mr Worldwide) own Voli Vodka.

Lukker- wrote: »
    Country folk?

Dublin people do it too, you can't just look down on the boggers for that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

He did when he first arrived on the scene, he sounds rehearsed and scripted now.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I don't think that's a sustainable business strategy :)

But anyhow, best of luck to him in what he does, he's just going to get richer off anything he does.

Effects wrote: »
    It's clearly going to be a blended whiskey that they don't distill.
    Don't distill it? How else would that make it.

I wonder if the whiskey will be in the shops before he's in the cage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Psml at this!

28433324_179646255979720_7498454991154184192_n.jpg

The bang of begrudgery around here is laughable. How many of us have got infront of a room of thousands, cameras and lights and spoke the way he can?

It's really lazy to say that all criticism is begrudgery and it's a tired argument that is rolled out by Irish people to deflect any criticism of course many of us couldn't step into a cage, can't get up in front of a stadium and sing etc., are we therefore barred from making any constructive criticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

There's a stark difference between constructive criticism and stating that Conor McGregor, one of the biggest sports stars in the world, aside from fighting doesn't do anything that any other person couldn't do.

• Advertisement

There's a stark difference between constructive criticism and stating that Conor McGregor, one of the biggest sports stars in the world, aside from fighting doesn't do anything that any other person couldn't do.

From a business perspective no what he is doing as a sports star is not unusual there are many others who are doing similar Cristiano, Beckham, Le Bron James, Michael Jordan, Ronda Rousey and on and on... infact the brands they have associated with have been bigger than maclife, david august, probably bigger than the reebok cash.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement