Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

AC?DC have new tequila.
    Justin Timberlake also has a tequila.
    Ryan Reynolds just bought Aviation Gin.
    Beckham works with Haig on Haig Club.
    Diddy (Daddy/Puffy/whatever he's calling himself) works with Diageo on Ciroc vodka.
    Willie Nelson has a bourbon.
    Dan Aykroyd has Crystal Skull Vodka.
    Fergie (Black Eyed Peas fame) and Pitbull (Mr Worldwide) own Voli Vodka.

where do you see those for sale - nowhere?
    distribution reach is the meaure of success.
    anybody can label a bottle with whatever on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Mellor wrote: »
    Don't distill it? How else would that make it.

You buy it after someone else has distilled it. Plenty of brands do it.
    There's also a good few brands that claim to have distilleries but haven't even distilled anything yet.

And that's before it's even aged for the minimum three years.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Whiskey connoisseurs, marketing and brand expertise, incisive social commentary and of course top notch mma analysis - this thread really has a top pedigree of poster, thanks lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,125 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Effects wrote: »
    You buy it after someone else has distilled it. Plenty of brands do it.
    There's also a good few brands that claim to have distilleries but haven't even distilled anything yet.

And that's before it's even aged for the minimum three years.

I get what you meant you now. I thought you meant it wouldn't have been distilled at any point. The above is a given imo. He won't own a distillery. What ever is in the bottle was probably distilled before he was sign by the UFC.
    Whiskey connoisseurs, marketing and brand expertise, incisive social commentary and of course top notch mma analysis - this thread really has a top pedigree of poster, thanks lads.
    This is basically the off topic thread of the forum now. Theres of MMA discussion in threads that have to discuss

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Sure there hasnt been MMA to discuss in years.... where did it all go wrong lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭fitzparker

glasso wrote: »
    where do you see those for sale - nowhere?
    distribution reach is the meaure of success.
    anybody can label a bottle with whatever on it.

Ciroc is everywhere pal, and one of the main reasons Diddy is worth hundreds of millions, its his main earner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

I'd say his whiskey will sell well at its target group = 3 piece wearing, beared growing idiots.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I'd say his whiskey will sell well at its target group = 3 piece wearing, beared growing idiots.

It doesn't matter what it tastes like as it'll be mixed with so much coke (much like McGregor himself :pac:) you won't even taste the whiskey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

The whiskey won't sell. It's a gimmick product in a world of quality spirits.

Smart people with money create venture capital firms and invest in new tech as early adapters, not whore their name for second and their tier producers to sell gimmicks.

As someone on here said a few months ago;

In ten years McGregor will be back fitting toilets in posters gaffs in Dublin and thankful for the work.

People bringing up ciroc are missing something massive.

Ciroc is a Diageo backed product with all the reach of Diageos global distribution footprint.

McGregor's whiskey is produced by a small company in cork which has next to no distribution footprint who sell the same mediocre blended whiskey rebranded under umpteen names already.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The whiskey won't sell. It's a gimmick product in a world of quality spirits.

Smart people with money create venture capital firms and invest in new tech as early adapters, not whore their name for second and their tier producers to sell gimmicks.

As someone on here said a few months ago;

In ten years McGregor will be back fitting toilets in posters gaffs in Dublin and thankful for the work.

Plenty of examples to the contrary. Beats by Dre being one. Every famous person with their own perfume or aftershave. It's a fairly low risk strategy. It doesn't work you've invested feck all, if any, of your own money in it so you haven't lost much. The same can't be said for venture capital firms and investing in new tech. Regardless, you can make a lot of money using either strategy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Plenty of examples to the contrary. Beats by Dre being one. Every famous person with their own perfume or aftershave. It's a fairly low risk strategy. It doesn't work you've invested feck all, if any, of your own money in it so you haven't lost much. The same can't be said for venture capital firms and investing in new tech. Regardless, you can make a lot of money using either strategy.

It's all about trading. Beats are thrash and always were but it made Dre a billionaire. I don't think his Whiskey will be as big a hit, but all the arm chair business men amuse me. Nuthuggers are painful, but the polar opposite are actually more obsessive (in this thread anyways).

He's diversifying before his career is finished. Nothing wrong with that, but he's damned if he doesn't, damned if he does. People would call him a mug for not getting endorsements. Call him a sell out for getting them. The schadenfreude from any perceived trouble he has is gas. It's sad that people want him to fail so much, sort yourself out first and stopping looking for gratification in others failures.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 393 ✭✭Didactic Ninja

Lukker- wrote: »
    It's all about trading. Beats are thrash and always were but it made Dre a billionaire. I don't think his Whiskey will be as big a hit, but all the arm chair business men amuse me. Nuthuggers are painful, but the polar opposite are actually more obsessive (in this thread anyways).

He's diversifying before his career is finished. Nothing wrong with that, but he's damned if he doesn't, damned if he does. People would call him a mug for not getting endorsements. Call him a sell out for getting them. The schadenfreude from any perceived trouble he has is gas. It's sad that people want him to fail so much, sort yourself out first and stopping looking for gratification in others failures.

i think there is a middle ground too. The acquired wealth should be a lovely by-product of the particular endeavour of the individual sporting, music, film or otherwise.

With him it seems to be the be all and end all.
    One can infer from his musings on social media, that he equates more money to more respect. Talking about places on the forbes list. He is becoming Neymar. I would prefer him to be Messi.

I don't begrudge him the burger king ad. i tip my hat, but what people don't seem to grasp is that by him acquiring all this money and all this perceived ( in his eyes) respect - we are infact the losers. we are nothing. if he is sneering at p diddy for dropping a place on forbes and nate diaz for giving lessons to disadvantaged kids at the weekend then who are we?
    We are the dross.

When you index all that money to "winning" or success then the rest of us who don't have it are losers.

fitzparker wrote: »
    Ciroc is everywhere pal, and one of the main reasons Diddy is worth hundreds of millions, its his main earner

I ain't your pal, buddy. Diageo owns and distributes it. profit share with Combs.

not going to be the case with McGregor with some small whisky outfit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Hey I wear a 3 piece, have a beard and am an idiot but I won't buy that whiskey. In fairness I was in said 3 piece and beard back when himself was going around in Penny's tracksuits

In fairness I was in said 3 piece and beard back when himself was going around in Penny's tracksuits

Pictures or it didn't happen.

Zero chance of this ever happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Effects wrote: »
    Zero chance of this ever happening.

I agreed, he couldn’t stick it the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭hewhoscares

I do like this idea that McGregor is 'just the same as any knacker in Dublin'

His stardom can be placed on his knockouts and exciting fights, his trashtalk and the irish army - and a combination of all of the above. But compared to the average working/middle class lad from Ireland he has a natural charisma.

He's maybe not as clever as he thinks he is, and clearly isnt steven pinker but to try and claim he's an idiot just says more about the person saying it.

I also don't think the money you have in your bank account equates to intelligence. But he's made several smart decisions along the way that have ended up with him being in the position he currently sits, how much of that was luck or good advice only he knows really and even then just odd rubs of the green work out either way with hindsight 20:20 - maybe RDA getting injured was the best thing to happen to him, maybe not.

Not finding an hour to sit down with Kimmage is a critisim now? why would he give a ****. Every media outlet in the world wants his attention and apart from contractual stuff he rarely does interviews and when he does its for people who gave a **** on the way up like the severe mma and ariel.

T

Ciroc is a Diageo backed product with all the reach of Diageos global distribution footprint.

McGregor's whiskey is produced by a small company in cork which has next to no distribution footprint who sell the same mediocre blended whiskey rebranded under umpteen names already.
    I don't think whoever brought up ciroc was suggesting McGregor whiskey would do similar sales. It just just reply to "what celebrity would own a spirit company" or something similar.

Is it known who is making it? Or are you just using Cork as an example?
    There are some quality small batch whiskeys in Ireland at the minute. Investing in one might not be terrible. But the notorious gimmick does more harm imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭fitzparker

My reply was not in response of MCG whiskey selling it was regarding someone saying you see none of the "celeb" brands mentioned anywhere... when in fact Ciroc is in every off licence

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

Ireland First.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Lukker- wrote: »

Dre is a figurehead, I actually know people who worked with the company who manufactured the headphones for beats (Irish company with big operations in China), the entire company structure and history they list on their website and on their Wikipedia page is complete horse****. It's a marketing gimmick. same with the vast majority of celebrity products.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

snotboogie wrote: »
    Dre is a figurehead, I actually know people who worked with the company who manufactured the headphones for beats (Irish company with big operations in China), the entire company structure and history they list on their website and on their Wikipedia page is complete horse****. It's a marketing gimmick. same with the vast majority of celebrity products.

He owned over 40% of it though? The dream (for any startup) these days is to get bought out by a bigger company. Even though Beats cost f*ck all to manufacture (they put weights in them to make em feel premium lol), they still spent a huge amount of marketing and endorsements. That's what made Apple buy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭The Rooster

A "marketing gimmick" that Apple bought for $3bn. Dre and Iovine were the two biggest shareholders, but U2 made a sack of cash on it too.

This is the exact point we're trying to make. Beats were renowned for being very poor value for money. Yet they sold like crazy and Dre made a fortune off it. Yet, you have people here saying McGregor's whiskey or any other products won't sell because they'll be over-priced and the quality won't be great. The same criticisms leveled at Beats. It's crazy how effective marketing can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

This is the exact point we're trying to make. Beats were renowned for being very poor value for money. Yet they sold like crazy and Dre made a fortune off it. Yet, you have people here saying McGregor's whiskey or any other products won't sell because they'll be over-priced and the quality won't be great. The same criticisms leveled at Beats. It's crazy how effective marketing can be.

Beats cost about 16 dollars to make

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/ben-einstein/we-took-apart-some-beats-headphones_b_7639618.html

$7 dollars of which were for the box and packaging. Wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭snotboogie

A "marketing gimmick" that Apple bought for $3bn. Dre and Iovine were the two biggest shareholders, but U2 made a sack of cash on it too.

Essentially yes. The headphones were originally made by some California electronics company and they brought in Dre and Iovine for branding and marketing purposes. Iovine screwed them on the contract and brought in Luke Wood, who was an interscope contact, to run the show. The 3rd party in China handle the majority of the day to day business with Wood and his team filling in the gaps. I have no idea about his pre apple shareholding but Dre is a complete figurehead in terms of running the business. He nearly killed the Apple sale by bragging about the deal on social media before it was finalized....

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

cloudatlas wrote: »
    It's really lazy to say that all criticism is begrudgery and it's a tired argument that is rolled out by Irish people to deflect any criticism of course many of us couldn't step into a cage, can't get up in front of a stadium and sing etc., are we therefore barred from making any constructive criticism.

I absolutely, 100% agree with you...
    There's a stark difference between constructive criticism and stating that Conor McGregor, one of the biggest sports stars in the world, aside from fighting doesn't do anything that any other person couldn't do.

... but this, exactly.

I'm all for constructive criticism, but it's a rare thing around here lately.

• Advertisement

Essentially yes. The headphones were originally made by some California electronics company and they brought in Dre and Iovine for branding and marketing purposes.
    Pretty sure that was Monster.
    I have no idea about his pre apple shareholding but Dre is a complete figurehead in terms of running the business. He nearly killed the Apple sale by bragging about the deal on social media before it was finalized....
    He originally owned around 50%. They sold shares alone the way, and he had about 25% at the apple sale time.
    I doubt anyone thinks Dre was running the company, designing headphones or anything like that etc. But he was a major share holder is a bit more than figurehead.

Isn't that the dream? Own a massive company that somebody else runs for a salary. :cool:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement