Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

pudzey101 wrote: »
    Jesus hearing more and more about floyd training for MMA , no doubt hel get the lottory fight with conor and another circus fiasco , true fight fans only wanna see conor vs the winner of khabib & Ferguson

FFS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

People dis missing it too, and calling people idiots for suggesting it could happen. Again, like last time it makes too much money not to happen. Basically Floyd is willing to get knocked out for a few mill. I will happily contribute to see him get hit with some spectacular spinning ****. I don't want to see that fight but when it happens I will definitely watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,973 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Anyone with an ounce of sense will take him down and then do whatever they want.

It would go the same way as Couture vs Toney

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Anyone with an ounce of sense will take him down and then do whatever they want.

at this stage though...are we sure mcgregor has an ounce of sense left?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

he wins easily, but will he make it look too easy, it would be more beneficial to stand and trade for a while for the entertainment value. and then you have a trilogy set up

if the mma fight happens, how can a trilogy not happen too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,973 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

The trilogy would have to be in a different code.

Main event of Wrestlemania XXXV.

Mayweather has advantage, having a professional wrestling record of 1-0, with a win against the Big Show.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

dashoonage wrote: »
    at this stage though...are we sure mcgregor has an ounce of sense left?

Both of these, sensible way would be to take him down, quick sub or pummel on ground

Conor wouldn't do that i don't think, he'd want to stand and box with him, just to show that he can 'beat' him at boxing, as it's MMA Floyd wouldn't be messing around and would probably knock him out early on

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The trilogy would have to be in a different code.

Main event of Wrestlemania XXXV.

Mayweather has advantage, having a professional wrestling record of 1-0, with a win against the Big Show.

The trilogy should be a limbo competition as they're both excellent at ducking opponents.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Mayweather Vs CM Punk. That's the one we all want to see.

Are ye all voting for Erin on dancing with the stars tonight lads?

Wasn't she the one that gave Conor 'the secret' initially,

So she's kind of indirectly the reason ye're all into MMA..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,341 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I don’t know what any of those words mean.

Wouldn't watch that ****e if my own sister was on it. Brock Lesnar is the reason I'm into it anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

martyos121 wrote: »
    I don’t know what any of those words mean.
    law of attraction, alot of it is pseudoscience, the beneficial core is PMA

• Registered Users Posts: 11,288 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Joe Rogan is really hitting them drugs hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,465 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Gintonious wrote: »
    Joe Rogan is really hitting them drugs hard.

A lot of the MMA guys are still sore from the stick they took from the boxing fight. Boxing is the premier combat sport and so on.

Not a hope in it happening for the reasons he said. Mayweather would be leaving on a stretcher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

The Nal wrote: »
    A lot of the MMA guys are still sore from the stick they took from the boxing fight. Boxing is the premier combat sport and so on.

Not a hope in it happening for the reasons he said. Mayweather would be leaving on a stretcher.

Only because they were dumb enough to believe Dana's BS that "Boxing is dead and we all know it. They have no stars." You can easily deflect that back in UFC's face and say they're the ones that are dying.

Fox Sports is possibly replacing UFC with Bowling.[UFC is looking for more money. Despite having the worst year for PPVs in a while.]

http://www.foxsports.com/presspass/latest-news/2018/03/20/pba-fox-sports-announce-multi-year-multi-platform-rights-deal

Plus UFC has no stars now. Rousey is off doing WWE and Conor wants to do anything other than fight at the moment. He hasn't had an MMA fight in 2 years and "may" fight around Sept or later.

Maybe we should start a "UFC is dead and we all know it." meme.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

JohnMc1 wrote: »

Only because they were dumb enough to believe Dana's BS that "Boxing is dead and we all know it. They have no stars." You can easily deflect that back in UFC's face and say they're the ones that are dying.

Fox Sports is possibly replacing UFC with Bowling.[UFC is looking for more money. Despite having the worst year for PPVs in a while.]

http://www.foxsports.com/presspass/latest-news/2018/03/20/pba-fox-sports-announce-multi-year-multi-platform-rights-deal

Plus UFC has no stars now. Rousey is off doing WWE and Conor wants to do anything other than fight at the moment. He hasn't had an MMA fight in 2 years and "may" fight around Sept or later.

I really can't buy into that when you look at ufc 223 stacked full of unbelievable fights then when you see what's on the week beforehand one of boxing's biggest stars fighting another tin can who's only become relevant because of Joshua on a card full of nobody's we've hardly heard about before. I know where I'd rather spend my money that's for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 12,465 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

bmcc10 wrote: »
    I really can't buy into that when you look at ufc 223 stacked full of unbelievable fights then when you see what's on the week beforehand one of boxing's biggest stars fighting another tin can who's only become relevant because of Joshua on a card full of nobody's we've hardly heard about before. I know where I'd rather spend my money that's for sure

Will be watching both.

Parker isn't a tin can. Undefeated, handed Hughie Fury and Ruiz their first and only losses and he beat Takem too. Its a big test for Joshua.

Parker is hardly Ali either, granted.

The big worry with UFC 223 is that the main could be a boring ground fest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭xtal191

Wouldn't surprise me if that boxing card full of nobodies does much better numbers than 223.

Only because they were dumb enough to believe Dana's BS that "Boxing is dead and we all know it.  They have no stars." You can easily deflect that back in UFC's face and say they're the ones that are dying.

The flip side of that is that the last PPV, and the London card were muck too (on paper).
    The undercard of the Joshua fight might have absolutely unreal tear-ups on it but nobody will be talking about it in hindsight the way they are about the London Fight Night actually having a good night of fights on it. Hindsight bias doesn't change cards being ****e.

• Advertisement

Also, I really hope a Mayweather-McGregor MMA fight goes ahead just to see how many of the loudmouth "if you're so sure Floyd will win, you should be betting everything you have on it" brigade on here are marching down to the bank to take out second and third mortgages...

Also, I really hope a Mayweather-McGregor MMA fight goes ahead just to see how many of the loudmouth "if you're so sure Floyd will win, you should be betting everything you have on it" brigade on here are marching down to the bank to take out second and third mortgages...

If it did happen I would 100% throw all my savings on McGregor. Every cent I could get my hands on would be going on it. It's much more of a certainty than the boxing match was.

If it did happen I would 100% throw all my savings on McGregor. Every cent I could get my hands on would be going on it. It's much more of a certainty than the boxing match was.

I agree, the odds are much more in his favour than they were Floyd's.

How many people here will be putting literally everything they have on it, as was frequently the call for the boxing match, is a different story.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

One thing that last boxing match taught me about Floyd is that he is a tough f*cker and barely flinched when he was caught.....that is if I am remembering it correctly.
    The game changes when the other martial art disciplines come into play which stack in McGregors favour, but Floyd is still going to absorb alot of what comes his way if it were to happen. Also super quick which make it more difficult to take down.
    But if he turns his back at all like was his go to defence against Conor in boxing, he's f*cked.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Don't see it happening, but if it did, imagine it would go something like this..... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Please not this again :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Boxing has gone very boring lately. Rare you see much finishes these days in the big fights and there is way too much human punching bag fights.

The sport of MMA is "the star" for me as i find it such an exciting sport to watch. I genuinely think MMA has taken over the 18 - 30 market in terms of fans compared to boxing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

I'm not saying the UFC is dying by any stretch. 2017 was not their best year for PPV buy rates [and yet they're raising the prices to $65] so I poking at Dana's "Boxing is dying and we all know it" nonsense and his fanboys that lap it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

This will never happen, Mayweather is not an idiot he knows he would lose. He’s not willing to lose face like McGregor did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    One thing that last boxing match taught me about Floyd is that he is a tough f*cker and barely flinched when he was caught.....that is if I am remembering it correctly.
    The game changes when the other martial art disciplines come into play which stack in McGregors favour, but Floyd is still going to absorb alot of what comes his way if it were to happen. Also super quick which make it more difficult to take down.
    But if he turns his back at all like was his go to defence against Conor in boxing, he's f*cked.

Toughness is a muscle though that's built up, he's used to punches coming at him. It's totally different if you've never been leg kicked, let alone by a good leg kicker. He may not be able to stand after one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement