Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

That only applies if he would otherwise be out of contract.

Go listen to Jon Fitch explain the issue on the MMA hour yesterday.

Even without the champions clause, they own him. They won't let him fight again with only one fight left on his contract, they'll make him sign before it gets to that stage and lock him in for another X amount of fights no time limit contract like they do everyone else.

They can't make him sign anything and I believe their is a legal clause that if you're not offered a fight within a certain time frame the contract becomes null and void.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Mellor wrote: »
    I don't think the ad effects his return. He isn't doing this ad instead of fighting. Probably 1 days work while in the US for something else.

exactly, probably did this in New York, in between collecting his PPV cheque,helping Crumlin hospital and spoiling his wonderful partner.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭VW 1

Mellor wrote: »
    He's right that it would inactivate his champions clause. But that won't make him any more freely able to walk.

McGregor had 4 fights on his contract, plus champions clause.
    If he's stripped, he still has 4 fights left.

(4 might be 3 fights if the Floyd fight counted)

Surely, as with footballers, he can buy his way out of his contract at some point?

Or there is a defined time period within which the contract must end? It makes little sense that fighters would give up so much autonomy from decision making.

I would have to believe there is something he believes he can exploit to get out of the contract, or use to leverage for money for fights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Whelo79 wrote: »
    They can't make him sign anything and I believe their is a legal clause that if you're not offered a fight within a certain time frame the contract becomes null and void.

How did that work for GSP?

As an aside Courture was stripped and he's was still unable to get out of his UFC contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

The Nal wrote: »

Same people moaning about Trump being an idiot. Thats what they want you to think.

Don't even, Trump is symptomatic of a beleaguered and jaded populace, he was financially insolvent in the 80's only the banks shouldered his debt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Holloway in cracking form on Twitter.

"You went from King of Ireland to King of "chicken"? Looking forward to the two strips meal coming April 7.
    PS Shout out to the real fighting Irish. The ones who value whats in heart before whats on waist. Hawaii respects you and welcomes you with open arms."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

That two strips line is classic haha

Mark 8:36 King James Version (KJV)

36 For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

How did that work for GSP?

GSP was caught be the champion clause. McG won't have that problem in a couple of weeks time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

So he does stuff for Burger Kind now...he will never ever make 145 again, thats for sure.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 393 ✭✭Didactic Ninja

all fur coat and no knickers.the epitome of new money.

its embarrassing. and an awful message to young fans.

and the quotes beside the instagram pic seem to equate the richer you are the more respect you deserve. nothing about craft or legacy. just being rich for riches sake and famous for famous sake.

vacuous, disappointing, emperor has no clothes stuff really.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 393 ✭✭Didactic Ninja

cletus wrote: »
    I dunno, as an athlete he has a limited amount of time to monetise himself. He may as well take money when companies are willing to throw it at him. Don't see Ronda doing too many ads recently

how much more money do you need.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

how much more money do you need.....

When you start living the millionaire lifestyle, I imagine its lots in order to maintain it.

Anyone else think McGregor is gonna declare bankruptcy before he's 40?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭fitzparker

No

Whelo79 wrote: »
    GSP was caught be the champion clause. McG won't have that problem in a couple of weeks time.

GSP had been stripped. He retired, the belt was given to someone else, he was still stuck in the clause.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,622 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Nah he's too smart for that to happen :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

cliggg wrote: »
    Nah he's too smart for that to happen :D

Well, looking at some of his ventures..the suits, do you really think that the average lad is going to be forking out a few grand for a McG suit, or will they go for one inspired by him for a couple of hundred in a high street store.
    As for the whiskey, we are in a gin era, and if it's expensive and doesn't taste as it should, then it's not going to sell.
    The FAST thing as well seems to be mocked a bit.

It's this type of advertisement that keeps money rolling in for him, plus it could become a recurring thing depending on the contract that has been signed.

• Advertisement

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Well, looking at some of his ventures..the suits, do you really think that the average lad is going to be forking out a few grand for a McG suit, or will they go for one inspired by him for a couple of hundred in a high street store.
    As for the whiskey, we are in a gin era, and if it's expensive and doesn't taste as it should, then it's not going to sell.
    The FAST thing as well seems to be mocked a bit.

It's this type of advertisement that keeps money rolling in for him, plus it could become a recurring thing depending on the contract that has been signed.
    Less than 5 years ago he had no money. Now he has over 100 million. He is too smart to throw all that away. He will only get richer. As for the stuff you listed I have no idea about any of it really. I would guess the whiskey will be a good seller in the same way Beckham's colognes are. It's about the name not the contents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Less than 5 years ago he had no money. Now he has over 100 million. He is too smart to throw all that away. He will only get richer. As for the stuff you listed I have no idea about any of it really. I would guess the whiskey will be a good seller in the same way Beckham's colognes are. It's about the name not the contents.

We'll have a whole load of nuthuggers buying his whiskey once it is out, there will be a whiskey renaissance in Ireland!

We'll have a whole load of nuthuggers buying his whiskey once it is out, there will be a whiskey renaissance in Ireland!
    I can see the tagline on the bottle now "I am whiskey!"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Maybe, maybe not.

There's loads of people that got rich, quick, then lost it all.

with the whisky thing I don't know... it's obviously just a rebranding of someone else's whisky from who knows where. Traditionally whisky brands are based on heritage and history not on a current celebrity.
    the only big celebrity spirit that I can think of is the George Clooney friends Tequila thing that was bought out but that had some sort of organic cool story going for it where him and some mates got some Tequila made for them initially to get the sort of drink they wanted (which no doubt has long ceased to be the case) but which the brand can leverage.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2017/06/21/george-clooney-accidentally-started-a-tequila-company-worth-1-billion.html

maybe the McGregor might work as a novelty thing for some "fans" who buy into him but I don't see it working on a large scale.

The mcgregor fast seemed to be very niche there were a couple videos of people on youtube doing it and those videos petered out possibly because it is quite specific training and not for the general fit person or joe bloggs trying to get off the couch. I doubt many are really going to buy an incredibly expensive suit with 'fuuck you' on it. The maclife tshirts are very ugly. His best route is to do adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

BK ad was filmed at Weston airport btw. He is one terrible actor.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

glasso wrote: »
    with the whisky thing I don't know... it's obviously just a rebranding of someone else's whisky from who knows where. Traditionally whisky brands are based on heritage and history not on a current celebrity.
    the only big celebrity spirit that I can think of is the George Clooney friends Tequila thing that was bought out but that had some sort of organic cool story going for it where him and some mates got some Tequila made for them initially to get the sort of drink they wanted (which no doubt has long ceased to be the case) but which the brand can leverage.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2017/06/21/george-clooney-accidentally-started-a-tequila-company-worth-1-billion.html

maybe the McGregor might work as a novelty thing for some "fans" who buy into him but I don't see it working on a large scale.

AC?DC have new tequila.
    Justin Timberlake also has a tequila.
    Ryan Reynolds just bought Aviation Gin.
    Beckham works with Haig on Haig Club.
    Diddy (Daddy/Puffy/whatever he's calling himself) works with Diageo on Ciroc vodka.
    Willie Nelson has a bourbon.
    Dan Aykroyd has Crystal Skull Vodka.
    Fergie (Black Eyed Peas fame) and Pitbull (Mr Worldwide) own Voli Vodka.

AC?DC have new tequila.
    Justin Timberlake also has a tequila.
    Ryan Reynolds just bought Aviation Gin.
    Beckham works with Haig on Haig Club.
    Diddy (Daddy/Puffy/whatever he's calling himself) works with Diageo on Ciroc vodka.
    Willie Nelson has a bourbon.
    Dan Aykroyd has Crystal Skull Vodka.
    Fergie (Black Eyed Peas fame) and Pitbull (Mr Worldwide) own Voli Vodka.

And what do most of those brands have in common- poor quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Don't forget Turtle from Entourage. He made a fortune from Tequila! Infact now I think of it, McGregor and Vinnie Chase have an awful lot in common...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement