Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair Pilots put it up to O'Leary

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Karsini wrote: »
    If I tried that in my job I’d be out on my ear. Then again I’m just a ”glorified receptionist” as was mentioned earlier.

and your employer is the wrong one there. not you. you are entitled to withdraw your labour.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭keith_sixteen

Karsini wrote: »
    If I tried that in my job I’d be out on my ear. Then again I’m just a ”glorified receptionist” as was mentioned earlier. :rolleyes:

If you tried what?

I mentioned that phrase in relation to the pilots which are constantly referred to as "glorified taxi drivers". A truly stupid phrase which you apparently agree with.

I work in IT myself.

If you tried what?

I mentioned that phrase in relation to the pilots which are constantly referred to as "glorified taxi drivers". A truly stupid phrase which you apparently agree with.

I work in IT myself.
    Sorry, I took that seriously and didn’t realise the context. The joys of reading text. :pac: The last time I tried to mention IT workers I got dogs abuse on here.

I implied that I’d just be dismissed if I tried to strike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭mikeysmith

737max wrote: »
    No unqualfied personnel will be allowed fly Ryanair planes. This is scaremongering for the ignorant.

I was joking btw

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

I dearly hope my Christmas flight home isn't cancelled. I'm guessing the recent mess regarding all of the cancelled flights made the pilots think their employer was in a weakened position and more likely to pay to keep flights on schedule (they can ill afford another raft of cancelled flights this year without their share price taking a serious tumble).

While they have every right to demand whatever they hell they want and to walk out, threatening this around Christmas when people will be worried whether they can even make it home to their families strikes me as callous!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

@Keith Sixteen; You are playing semantics.
    I said "It benefits Ryanair not one jot to have pilots working zero hours".
    Pilots are flying for Ryanair because they know for a fact that they'll get as many hours as they are legally allowed.

This is an example of a thread where those with agendas wish to win popular opinion while skirting over the facts.

Very funny. I see what you did there. :rolleyes:

Stephen15 wrote: »
    My one gripe about Ryanair is the lack of actual competition they have in this country no Wizz Air or Easyjet here in Ireland. There is currently no proper budget airline competing with them. Aer Lingus has gone cheaper since they've come in but still not a proper budget airline.

Ryanair have a habit of running their competition out of their market - severely undercutting them until they pull off the route - then putting fares back up. Or buying the airline to rid themselves of competition. See Buzz, Wizz in Cork etc etc. The other budget airlines know it's a big risk starting on a route served by Ryanair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

Candamir wrote: »
    Very funny. I see what you did there. :rolleyes:

Ryanair have a habit of running their competition out of their market - severely undercutting them until they pull off the route - then putting fares back up. Or buying the airline to rid themselves of competition. See Buzz, Wizz in Cork etc etc. The other budget airlines know it's a big risk starting on a route served by Ryanair
    Let's all engage in revisionism and reminisce about how wonderful life was for those trying to fly in and out of Ireland before Ryanair drove prices down and increased accessibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,846 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I've been Googling, and I'm at work so can't read the last 12 pages, but why exactly are they potentially striking? They already have a union, but they want collective bargaining? A quick Google search is showing me that Captains earn anywhere from €100k to €185k for short haul flights, and €113k to €216k for long haul. That's savage money like!

You don't know how they suffer. Them and the LUAS lever pushers have a fierce hard existence. It's inhuman.

Let's all engage in revisionism and reminisce about how wonderful life was for those trying to fly in and out of Ireland before Ryanair drove prices down and increased accessibility.

They seem to be faltering of late. All those rostering issues during the summer. Something seriously wrong with that airline, even without the current strike issues.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Some of the younger pilots are forced by necessity. I know someone who has just started working there. He's earning 25k and he is 100k in debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,218 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

They seem to be faltering of late. All those rostering issues during the summer. Something seriously wrong with that airline, even without the current strike issues.

the rostering issues were a one-off caused by the change in the calendar year. they handled it badly but that change wont be happening again.

Elemonator wrote: »
    Some of the younger pilots are forced by necessity. I know someone who has just started working there. He's earning 25k and he is 100k in debt.

I know there are 3 sides to every story, but according to this link, the average wage for a new pilot is €59,495, with the lowest being €34,000 (updated Nov this year).

the rostering issues were a one-off caused by the change in the calendar year. they handled it badly but that change wont be happening again.

That's the latest excuse? Very good.

You also have the PR disaster around the seating algorithm. A bit more subtlety and honesty with their customers in that instance would have been all that was needed. But no, time and again, they are as subtle as a brick in the face.

They've been treating their staff and customers with utter contempt for years now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

You also have the PR disaster around the seating algorithm. A bit more subtlety and honesty with their customers in that instance would have been all that was needed. But no, time and again, they are as subtle as a brick in the face.

They've been treating their staff and customers with utter contempt for years now.

So ? "Business has plans to get customers to spend more money" is not exactly something Woodward and Bernstein would have to break!

So ? "Business has plans to get customers to spend more money" is not exactly something Woodward and Bernstein would have to break!

They're absolutely entitled to generate revenue in this manner, and I would expect nothing less to be honest. They just bullshitted everyone about it. Why not just treat people like grownups?

They're absolutely entitled to generate revenue in this manner, and I would expect nothing less to be honest. They just bullshitted everyone about it. Why not just treat people like grownups?

Because the people who whine constantly to the likes of Joe Duffy don't act like grown ups.

Every charge is there to see. Every rule about checking in is clear and yet the minute one person forgets and gets landed with a bill to check in at the airport - they're in the papers with the compo faces.

Are Ryanair perfect ? God no. Are they as bad as everyone makes out ? Equally, no.

Are Ryanair perfect ? God no. Are they as bad as everyone makes out ? Equally, no.

I very much agree with this sentiment. In terms of getting people safely from A to B they do an exceptional job. However, they are clearly having some very public struggles of late.

I'd also urge everyone bashing the pilots to research this in a little more detail. I'm not going to do it for you, but I happen to have a bit more of a behind the scenes view of this. There is more to this than meets the eye.

I am no fan of unions btw.

I very much agree with this sentiment. In terms of getting people safely from A to B they do an exceptional job. However, they are clearly having some very public struggles of late.

I'd also urge everyone bashing the pilots to research this in a little more detail. I'm not going to do it for you, but I happen to have a bit more of a behind the scenes view of this. There is more to this than meets the eye.

I am no fan of unions btw.

I tried to google why they're striking, and all I can get is that they want to be part of some European Collective Bargaining thing, and O'Leary is like 'No, ye already have a union'.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,218 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

No, that was the reason all along. you clearly have a major chip on your shoulder about ryanair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

I've been Googling, and I'm at work so can't read the last 12 pages, but why exactly are they potentially striking? They already have a union, but they want collective bargaining? A quick Google search is showing me that Captains earn anywhere from €100k to €185k for short haul flights, and €113k to €216k for long haul. That's savage money like!

If you googled it must be fact so. :rolleyes:
    Ryanair dont do long haul for a start.

They are striking for better momey terms and conditions, why else do people strike?

If your responsible for flying hundreds of people 4 miles high at 500mph in -36 then i expect them to be compensated accordingly.

Not everybody can be a pilot, some people cant even drive a car without crashing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Dublin based Ryanair pilots have served notice of a one day strike on the 20th of December. In a ballot 94% of the pilots asked favoured industrial action so that they can be recognised by a union and collectively negotiate their wages and conditions.

The majority of pilots intending to strike are captains. A plane cannot legally fly without a captain so lots of flights will be grounded at huge cost to the airline and a big inconvenience to their passengers right before Xmas.

This dispute has now developed into a game of hardball between Michael OLeary and the pilots. He is on record as calling them glorified taxi drivers and has treated them with contempt throughout the years. OLeary is a major shareholder in Ryanair so needs to sort this out asap. On the other hand he has hung his hat on never dealing with unions. If the airline suffers substantial losses and reputational damage due to the Dublin strike (and others in Europe) then he will quickly come under pressure from other major shareholders to either do a u-turn or resign.

So AH do you support the Ryanair pilots strike? Must say I do and Im getting a large buttered popcorn to watch how this one plays out.

God be with the day in 1983 when I paid £103.00 one way to Cardiff from Shannon with Aer Lingus!

kona wrote: »

Denmark to the Canary Islands - 2200km, that not long enough ?

No, that was the reason all along. you clearly have a major chip on your shoulder about ryanair.

No chip at all. See my previous post.

Alright, relax, the sites seems legit. I don't know where else I can find that info.

I didn't know that, so thanks for clearing it up, still fairly big average wages for short haul.
    They are striking for better momey terms and conditions, why else do people strike?

Because they see employees in other countries doing the same job for more money, so they think they should be entitled to it, without taking everything else into consideration. This strike seems to be (from the few news stories i've read) because O'Leary/Ryanair won't sign up to this EU thing.
    If your responsible for flying hundreds of people 4 miles high at 500mph in -36 then i expect them to be compensated accordingly.

Until someone shows me facts that they're not paid well, I'll go by the article I posted.
    Not everybody can be a pilot, some people cant even drive a car without crashing it.

True, but same can be said for nearly every job.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

you can do that if you like. the rest of us on the other hand will keep all that as the irrelevantsy to the discussion that it is
    just because ryanair brought cheap travel, it does not make it immune from criticism. it is not entitled to automatic respect or support or whatever, it has to earn it. for some it hasn't earned it, or it has lost it for whatever reason.
    the fact is, the company is having issues. from rostering issues, to issues with part of the workforce being on the verge of striking. that's not for no reason.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Denmark to the Canary Islands - 2200km, that not long enough ?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭CosmicJay

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/aer-lingus-warns-it-faces-turbulent-times-as-lowcost-norwegian-and-ryanair-threaten-its-market-share-35957841.html

Ruh-roh.

The unionised carrier is going down the tubes again?

Who would of thunk it.

Looks like Aer Lingus will be out in force after Ryanair.

'tis terrible. We must do something. This is something:
    Force Ryanair and AerLingus to negotiate with one militant union and no other.

Union at the flick of a switch through strikes shuts down the two airlines that are carrying roughly 25million passengers in to and out of the country between them until their members are paid 200k a year. Ooops.

is that the unintended consequence you'd be happy to live with?

• Advertisement

Until someone shows me facts that they're not paid well, I'll go by the article I posted.

They are paid ok for what they do. 150k sounds like alot of money to some people.
    As regards to the responsibility and level and cost of training required, its pretty normal for a captain.

Their terms and conditions are not great to be honest as far as pilots go.
    As far as the normal staff for ryanair they are treated like ****. Cabin crew are paid **** all too.

Advertisement