Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair Pilots put it up to O'Leary

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

Am I reading that right?
    So for example, a plane is delayed on the ground for 2 hours.. The cabin crew still have to attend to customers for those 2 hours , but the cabin crew do not get paid for those 2 hours?
    Thats unbelievable

That's what I'm told yes - we were delayed for an hour due to fog on Monday and the crew would only be paid the time on the ticket basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,987 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Karsini wrote: »
    More like self-entitled arseholes who are in a very privileged position.

they are neither self-entitled or arseholes. even if they were, as long as they do a good job in representing their paying members then that's all that matters, job done as they say.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

Allinall wrote: »
    No.

I was stuck in the office one day last week because of unforeseen circumstances.

I wasn't paid any extra; nor was I shocked.

Not paid extra?? The Crew are not paid at all on the ground - yet they are required to be there, working.

Not at all in any way like your ‘getting stuck in the office’.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,079 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

That's what I'm told yes - we were delayed for an hour due to fog on Monday and the crew would only be paid the time on the ticket basically.

Can’t believe that, ground staff deal with delays, the cabin crew look after things in the air.

Can’t believe that, ground staff deal with delays, the cabin crew look after things in the air.

The bulk of the delay was in the air and the rest was after we'd taxi'd.

• Advertisement

As long as there are passengers on board, the crew are responsible for them. Even if the aircraft is empty, the crew are often required to stay on board. Crew (cabin and flight) are usually very involved with dealing with delays on the ground too - wether they are due to passenger/baggage reconciliation, technical or weather issues etc. They don’t just twiddle their thumbs and let someone else deal with it. Even if they did, they still have to be there. For free.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

That’s all fine and dandy. However, all Ryanair staff knew the terms and conditions when they took the job, same as Ryanair passengers know to read the small print when booking. The losers here are those passengers.

Must admit Im really bored of the Fine Gael set trotting out this excuse. Sure why did any workers fight for anything like holiday pay, minimum wage, sick pay? By your logic they should have just moved on to another employer so they could be exploited there too instead of fighting for better conditions. The irony about the position you hold is that you too benefit from past battles won by unions- now if you hate unions so much surely you will go into your employer tomorrow and offer not to take holiday pay, not to take sick pay, etc? Because as it stands you yourself are piggybacking on the hard work of unions with good working conditions yet here you are criticizing them for winning you those conditions.
    Am I reading that right?
    So for example, a plane is delayed on the ground for 2 hours.. The cabin crew still have to attend to customers for those 2 hours , but the cabin crew do not get paid for those 2 hours?
    Thats unbelievable

It is unbelievable but true. They literally only get paid for the time they are in the air. Anything else is free labour. To make matters worse Ryanair cabin crew are obliged to attend a safety briefing 45 minutes before the plane is due to take off. So they have to show up for work an hour early to get airside and attend the safety briefing and they dont get paid a penny for it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5188899/How-Ryanair-crew-work-FIVE-extra-hours-day-no-pay.html
    Ruthless exploitation of cabin crew by Ryanair is exposed today by a Daily Mail investigation.

The budget airline's stewards are being made to work unpaid for as many as five hours in a day, an undercover reporter found after spending last month as a trainee.

Under brutal conditions, they earn money only when in the air, as well as commission on in-flight sales. It means the many hours on the ground – cleaning, security checks and during flight delays – are unpaid.

The conditions apply to thousands of cabin crew hired by third-party agencies for Ryanair. Despite being promised 'great earnings potential', they typically take home about £11,000 in the first year, roughly equivalent to an £11,500 salary. Some rivals pay between £15,000 and £25,000.

The company – Europe's largest airline – made post-tax profits of £1.14billion in the six months to September and its chief executive Michael O'Leary earned a pay package of £2.8million last year.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    That’s all fine and dandy. However, all Ryanair staff knew the terms and conditions when they took the job, same as Ryanair passengers know to read the small print when booking. The losers here are those passengers.

Must admit Im really bored of the Fine Gael set trotting out this excuse. Sure why did any workers fight for anything like holiday pay, minimum wage, sick pay? By your logic they should have just moved on to another employer so they could be exploited there too instead of fighting for better conditions. The irony about the position you hold is that you too benefit from past battles won by unions- now if you hate unions so much surely you will go into your employer tomorrow and offer not to take holiday pay, not to take sick pay, etc? Because as it stands you yourself are piggybacking on the hard work of unions with good working conditions yet here you are criticizing them for winning you those conditions.
    Am I reading that right?
    Thats unbelievable

It is unbelievable but true. They literally only get paid for the time they are in the air. Anything else is free labour. To make matters worse Ryanair cabin crew are obliged to attend a safety briefing 45 minutes before the plane is due to take off. So they have to show up for work an hour early to get airside and attend the safety briefing and they dont get paid a penny for it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5188899/How-Ryanair-crew-work-FIVE-extra-hours-day-no-pay.html
    Ruthless exploitation of cabin crew by Ryanair is exposed today by a Daily Mail investigation.

The budget airline's stewards are being made to work unpaid for as many as five hours in a day, an undercover reporter found after spending last month as a trainee.

Under brutal conditions, they earn money only when in the air, as well as commission on in-flight sales. It means the many hours on the ground – cleaning, security checks and during flight delays – are unpaid.

The conditions apply to thousands of cabin crew hired by third-party agencies for Ryanair. Despite being promised 'great earnings potential', they typically take home about £11,000 in the first year, roughly equivalent to an £11,500 salary. Some rivals pay between £15,000 and £25,000.

The company – Europe's largest airline – made post-tax profits of £1.14billion in the six months to September and its chief executive Michael O'Leary earned a pay package of £2.8million last year.

To be honest the girl I spoke to as we were waiting to get off on Saturday seemed genuine, so I'm glad others have heard of it. It is terrible.

Candamir wrote: »
    As long as there are passengers on board, the crew are responsible for them. Even if the aircraft is empty, the crew are often required to stay on board. Crew (cabin and flight) are usually very involved with dealing with delays on the ground too - wether they are due to passenger/baggage reconciliation, technical or weather issues etc. They don’t just twiddle their thumbs and let someone else deal with it. Even if they did, they still have to be there. For free.

Are you telling me that if a flight is delayed for technical reasons, the cabin crew and flight crew go into the terminal to handle the passengers?

Let make that clear for starters?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭keith_sixteen

Are you telling me that if a flight is delayed for technical reasons, the cabin crew and flight crew go into the terminal to handle the passengers?

Sometimes boarding has already happened when a fault emerges.

• Advertisement

And what happens then and how is it different than other airlines?

I can vouch for that anyway. I was stuck on a Wow Air flight from Keflavik to Cork last summer after the crew discovered an engine problem when we left the gate.

I can vouch for that anyway. I was stuck on a Wow Air flight from Keflavik to Cork last summer after the crew discovered an engine problem when we left the gate.

We know all that, how does FRs procedures in handling that event differ from other airlines?

We know all that, how does FRs procedures in handling that event differ from other airlines?

The others pay their staff while they're on the ground I assume.

Muahahaha wrote: »

The company who employed this lady refuted a lot of what she claimed.

Im not sure where you got that idea from - try reading the first two sentences again. I think that explains it.

Many delay situations the passengers are on board, or are boarded anyway so that the aircraft is ready to go as soon as the problem is resolved. Even if boarding is delayed, the crew are usually required to stay on board. Most airlines pay their crews a base salary, so delays are just accepted as part of the job. Many ryanair 'staff' are not on such contracts, and so are paid for hours flown only. (which of course means no sick pay, no pay for time spent getting to base - which may not be home base, and no guarantee of work and therefore pay in a given period. Despite the fact that they aren't allowed to work for anyone else.)

I understand your disbelief tbh. It is quite unbelievable!

Im not sure where you got that idea from - try reading the first two sentences again. I think that explains it.

Many delay situations the passengers are on board, or are boarded anyway so that the aircraft is ready to go as soon as the problem is resolved. Even if boarding is delayed, the crew are usually required to stay on board. Most airlines pay their crews a base salary, so delays are just accepted as part of the job. Many ryanair 'staff' are not on such contracts, and so are paid for hours flown only. (which of course means no sick pay, no pay for time spent getting to base - which may not be home base, and no guarantee of work and therefore pay in a given period. Despite the fact that they aren't allowed to work for anyone else.)

I understand your disbelief tbh. It is quite unbelievable!

What I was getting at was that apart from the conditions of employment, their duties do not differ from most airlines.

As I understand it they start with an agency for three yrs before moving to FR contracts.

What I was getting at was that apart from the conditions of employment, their duties do not differ from most airlines.

As I understand it they start with an agency for three yrs before moving to FR contracts.

Apart from the conditions of employment? Yes. They’re Crew. Pilots and cabin crew. They’re very happy to do the work of pilots and cabin crew (although the cabin crew do cjean the planes and marshal passengers - most other airlines’ Crew don’t do these tasks), it’s the conditions and dodgy contracts they’re on that they don’t like.

Ryanair also turn a tidy profit on their training centres.

Apart from the conditions of employment? Yes. They’re Crew. Pilots and cabin crew. They’re very happy to do the work of pilots and cabin crew (although the cabin crew do cjean the planes and marshal passengers - most other airlines’ Crew don’t do these tasks), it’s the conditions and dodgy contracts they’re on that they don’t like.

Ryanair also turn a tidy profit on their training centres.

Seeing as Fr don't use airbridges at Dub marshalling passengers would no big deal, also 'cleaning' involves going round with a bag which passengers empty their wrapping rubbish into, which most low cost airlines do.

'Dodgy' contracts is a dangerous word surely, don't they sign them and agree to them before start of employment.

Advertisement