Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair Pilots put it up to O'Leary

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Paulzx

MIKEKC wrote: »
    Fact is he built it from below the ground.ineficiencies will now creep in, leading to higher fares

The biggest inefficency you can have in any organisation is unhappy staff.

Constant conflict between management an staff is bad for the bottom line.

Constant turnover of staff is bad for the bottom line.

Constant crap morale among staff is bad for the bottom line.

This especially applies when large amounts of your staff deal directly with the paying customer.

Michel O Leary hasn't had a road to Damascus moment. Similar to the realisation last year that treating your customers like dirt had run it's course and had outlived it's economic usefullness, he has come to the conclusion that he has reached the end of the road with respect to badmouthing and belittling his employees.

It's turning out to be bad for business or has the potential to do so in the very near future if Ryanair don't do something different.

He's made a business decision. End of......

Incidently, Southwest Airlines which Ryanair models intself on is heavily unionised but seems to be able to trade profitably and have good relations with its staff https://www.forbes.com/sites/darrendahl/2017/07/28/why-do-southwest-airlines-employees-always-seem-so-happy/#2afc5da559b0

• Registered Users Posts: 4,760 ✭✭✭Comhrá

And higher prices for the customers. All just to keep fat cat union officials on the gravy train. A real victory.

You seem to be the type of person who's happy to exploit other people so long as you save a few Euro on your airfare.

Have you no shame at all? The customers still fly with Aer Lingus, Easyjet & BA so moaning about 'high fares' is nonsense.

Comhra wrote: »
    And higher prices for the customers. All just to keep fat cat union officials on the gravy train. A real victory.

You seem to be the type of person who's happy to exploit other people so long as you save a few Euro on your airfare.

Have you no shame at all? The customers still fly with Aer Lingus, Easyjet & BA so moaning about 'high fares' is nonsense.

I’ve been flying Ryanair for years. They’re cheaper by far than any of those you mention. They’re on time more often than not. I’ve yet to come across disgruntled Ryanair staff. I’m the type of person who cannot understand people continuing to work for companies that are making them so awfully unhappy. Yes, I like value for my hard earned wages. Judging from the success of Ryanair, I’m not alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Yes, I like value for my hard earned wages. .

...........at the expense of others who also have hard earned wages.

I'm all right jack

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I’ve yet to come across disgruntled Ryanair staff.

Sure how would you know? I sincerely doubt you've ever asked Ryanair staff how they feel about their job to be honest.

And considering a load of them are flooding into unions citing across the board grievances I can safely say there's quite a bit of disgruntlement in the ranks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,999 ✭✭✭Odhinn

I’ve been flying Ryanair for years. They’re cheaper by far than any of those you mention. They’re on time more often than not. I’ve yet to come across disgruntled Ryanair staff................

They musn't exist then, as obviously the first thing they'd do during their working day is make their troubles known to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,373 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

It wont lead to higher air fairs, and by the way Aer Lingus is often just as cheap.
    Its a business decision Michael O'Leary does not run Ryanair single handed.
    Modem trade unions are not like the millitent tendency of the 1970s.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,987 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

there is no evidence fares will rise. the members of the union pay the wages of the union head so this has no effect on the company.
    I’ve been flying Ryanair for years. They’re cheaper by far than any of those you mention. They’re on time more often than not. I’ve yet to come across disgruntled Ryanair staff. I’m the type of person who cannot understand people continuing to work for companies that are making them so awfully unhappy. Yes, I like value for my hard earned wages. Judging from the success of Ryanair, I’m not alone.

and you will get even greater value for money with your wages on ryan air as there will be a happy work force, which equals a happy work environment, which equals happy customers and a happy service.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,079 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

there is no evidence fares will rise. the members of the union pay the wages of the union head so this has no effect on the company.

and you will get even greater value for money with your wages on ryan air as there will be a happy work force, which equals a happy work environment, which equals happy customers and a happy service.

Hmmmmm. ... little bit of overload there, pal.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5192355/Ryanair-bosses-dont-treat-crew-like-humans-say-staff.html

That well known Communist organ and mouthpiece of the union barons, The Daily Mail, has published an article featuring interviews with Ryanair cabin crew detailing the utter sh*te they have to put up with. As much as I hate the f*cking rag, it does echo countless stories I've heard from former Ryanair workers.

• Advertisement

FTA69 wrote: »
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5192355/Ryanair-bosses-dont-treat-crew-like-humans-say-staff.html

That well known Communist organ and mouthpiece of the union barons, The Daily Mail, has published an article featuring interviews with Ryanair cabin crew detailing the utter sh*te they have to put up with. As much as I hate the f*cking rag, it does echo countless stories I've heard from former Ryanair workers.

Former employees of many companies would moaned like this. That’s why they’re former employees. The did the right thing and moved on.

I know yeah, like your one who wasn't allowed to be nearer her sick relative cos she didn't flog enough Pringles. Or the other one who had no idea whether she'd have any hours for the week and was sent home arbitrarily after showing up for work. Moaning bloody cows indeed.

FTA69 wrote: »
    I know yeah, like your one who wasn't allowed to be nearer her sick relative cos she didn't flog enough Pringles. Or the other one who had no idea whether she'd have any hours for the week and was sent home arbitrarily after showing up for work. Moaning bloody cows indeed.

You do know that most companies have similar terms of employment? A driver cannot work without a CPC cert. most shop workers have to pay for their uniforms. I’m sure nurses do too. Construction workers have to have a Safe Pass before being allowed onsite.

As for pressure selling, I’ve yet to come across it. Yes, they sell food, drinks, duty free and those amazing lottery tickets. They announce that the are coming through the cabin. Very few people ever buy anything other than food and drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭keith_sixteen

You do know that most companies have similar terms of employment? A driver cannot work without a CPC cert. most shop workers have to pay for their uniforms. I’m sure nurses do too.

Absolute drivel.

You do know that most companies have similar terms of employment? A driver cannot work without a CPC cert. most shop workers have to pay for their uniforms. I’m sure nurses do too.

Absolute drivel.

Really? You mean drivers don’t need a CPC Cert? And shop workers don’t pay for their uniforms?

You do know that most companies have similar terms of employment? A driver cannot work without a CPC cert. most shop workers have to pay for their uniforms. I’m sure nurses do too. Construction workers have to have a Safe Pass before being allowed onsite.

As for pressure selling, I’ve yet to come across it. Yes, they sell food, drinks, duty free and those amazing lottery tickets. They announce that the are coming through the cabin. Very few people ever buy anything other than food and drink.

Right two things here, first of all Ryanair’s terms and conditions are infinitely sh*tter than other aviation companies, especially for cabin crew. So even within that industry sector your argument doesn’t stand.

Secondly, as bad as things are in the world of work, “most companies” in Europe do not have people on zero-hours contracts, do not charge employees for uniform (least of all shop companies) and not do they charge for a worker to be trained into the job. That is an absolute and utter spoof.

Something tells me that if Ryanair were killing their employees and selling their organs on eBay you’d be out defending it. These workers have decided they do not want to be left earning less than minimum wage (at times) and getting treated like sh*t while O’Leary pockets £3m odd a year. Fair play to them. Now you may well have a problem with people refusing to be exploited, but thankfully I don’t think these staff are too concerned with foot-stomping mé féiners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

Not sure it's been mentioned but one of the cabin crew on my flight on Monday was telling us that they were delayed three hours the other week and they don't get paid for that - just flying time.

I doubt she's reason to lie so assuming that's true - it is shocking isn't it ?

Yes, it is. There is very little cabin crew can do about operations on the ground or any factor really that would cause a delay. Yet they are the ones who have to deal with pissed off customers sitting on an aircraft at the gate going nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭Allinall

Not sure it's been mentioned but one of the cabin crew on my flight on Monday was telling us that they were delayed three hours the other week and they don't get paid for that - just flying time.

No.

I was stuck in the office one day last week because of unforeseen circumstances.

I wasn't paid any extra; nor was I shocked.

Yes, it is. There is very little cabin crew can do about operations on the ground or any factor really that would cause a delay. Yet they are the ones who have to deal with pissed off customers sitting on an aircraft at the gate going nowhere.

F**k that is not on that. One of the crew said they had a seven hour delay once. Seven hours, dealing with p*ssed off people but not getting paid ?

They'd get my support I have to say.

• Advertisement

Allinall wrote: »
    No.

I was stuck in the office one day last week because of unforeseen circumstances.

Did 178 people want to smack you for the delay ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

No.

Bit of a difference between a slight inconvenience 30 mins from home and someone who's stuck 6-800 miles away ...let's play fair here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭Allinall

Did 178 people want to smack you for the delay ?

No.

Nor did they post hyperbolic rubbish on the internet.

No.

Not the same and well you know it. I bet you also have other unforeseen circumstances in your private life that require you stepping out from the office on occasion.

I also bet that your employers are decent enough to let you do this as you clearly help them out from time to time as you seem like a decent employee. Give and take and all that.

mariaalice wrote: »
    Modem trade unions are not like the millitent tendency of the 1970s.
    *cough* NBRU *cough*

No.

Nor did they post hyperbolic rubbish on the internet.

Ah bless.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,987 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Former employees of many companies would moaned like this. That’s why they’re former employees.

the former cabbin staff correctly complained because they were ill-treated and exploited. their treatment is why they are former employees. fair play to them for exposing the shocking treatment of this company.
    The did the right thing and moved on.

just like the pilots did the right thing and forced in the union for both themselves and cabbin staff. the workers have won.
    Karsini wrote: »
    *cough* NBRU *cough*

the NBRU isn't millitant. strong and willing to stand up for their members, absolutely. they are nothing like the trade unions of the 1970s which to be fair, had a lot to fight against.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

the former cabbin staff correctly complained because they were ill-treated and exploited. their treatment is why they are former employees. fair play to them for exposing the shocking treatment of this company.

just like the pilots did the right thing and forced in the union for both themselves and cabbin staff. the workers have won.

the NBRU isn't millitant. strong and willing to stand up for their members, absolutely. they are nothing like the trade unions of the 1970s which to be fair, had a lot to fight against.

Ah close. Was agreeing with you there, but no the NBRU make Scargill's mob look like the Brownies at times.

NBRU isn't millitant. strong and willing to stand up for their members, absolutely. they are nothing like the trade unions of the 1970s which to be fair, had a lot to fight against.
    More like self-entitled arseholes who are in a very privileged position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭dealhunter1985

Am I reading that right?
    So for example, a plane is delayed on the ground for 2 hours.. The cabin crew still have to attend to customers for those 2 hours , but the cabin crew do not get paid for those 2 hours?
    Thats unbelievable

Advertisement