Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Destiny General Discussion 2.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Think Bungie went too far with the Faction Rallies grind.

I'm assuming their design goal is that most players would only be able to get one catalyst through season 3, which I think is a poor design goal - but I suppose it does reaffirm the 'choice matters' goal they went with too.

I know there are people, even on here, that will get to rank 50 - but I think I have put in decent time over the last few nights, a casually respectible amount, and I'm only on rank 15.

Yesterday and the evening before I spent all evening on and am only about LvL 12, not a hope fo me hitting LvL 50 with them at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,418 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

another part of the issue is the focus on PEs and Lost sectors is a weak point. that repetitive grind is not fun, imo, but if I put time into Raiding or PvP, the tokens provided are terribly small. I played PvP for an hour last night and got about 15 tokens or something like that. Maybe a little more.

12 minute PvP match - loss - 2 tokens. Thats just annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,582 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Kimbot wrote: »
    Yesterday and the evening before I spent all evening on and am only about LvL 12, not a hope fo me hitting LvL 50 with them at all.

Level 30 myself, getting sick of farming for tokens and the ornaments at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Level 30 myself, getting sick of farming for tokens and the ornaments at this stage.

Wow, are you rocking a full set of Anti Extinction gear? I'm missing arms and boots so not getting the full benefit of extra renown or tokens.

Yakuza wrote: »
    Wow, are you rocking a full set of Anti Extinction gear? I'm missing arms and boots so not getting the full benefit of extra renown or tokens.

Started with a full set for my Warlock and been using him to farm. Currently have a full set for my warlock and my titan, only 2 pieces on my hunter atm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

I know there are people, even on here, that will get to rank 50 - but I think I have put in decent time over the last few nights, a casually respectible amount, and I'm only on rank 15.

Same. Now I'm upto 19 and civic is around 15 I think. We grounded out a few last night.

I know a nice few of the S.O. Lads are 50 already though so it's something you probably just have to grind for.

To be honest I'm kinda OK with that tho.
    It's good that people who play more finally have something to show for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Does the gear give extra tokens as well or just renown quicker?

Tazzimus wrote: »

Gives you 1 extra renown point for each activity. Patrols and high value targets give 1, public events give 2 and heroic public events give 3 without the armour.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭nevelator

Quicker renown I think. Also some ghosts have a perk of "Chance of additional faction tokens".

Unless it's random, I got a few extra tokens in a heroic strike than iceninja, I thought it was down to me having some Dead Orbit gear on.

nevelator wrote: »
    Quicker renown I think. Also some ghosts have a perk of "Chance of additional faction tokens".

Ahh, that explains it. I've got the ghost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

That's only if you want the ornaments. Ridiculous that the ornaments are class based now instead of account based for Faction Rally.

True. Its just irritating to see stuff you have done not to be counted. Givin mercury was the flashpoint this week makes it more so but ill live.

Have to say,tokens in general are a very unsatisfying mechanism of reward imo. Complete an epic heroic PE,lost sector,PvP etc and get planatery tokens,sometimes just one. Just doesnt give that endorfen rush.

Nearly got weekly milestones done,ill prob grind the rally for a bit after that but will probably finish up then till reset.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

The farming is just not so fun, I was having a nostalgic moment the other night about destiny 1, when taken king was out I played the hell out of that raid and the other raids in d1 cos they were fun and you could have a laugh. My first experience of the dildo room/tomb ship sections were filling with laughter from mishaps etc and with no "jumping puzzles" in d2 there is no real light hearted section like those puzzles that you can just put the controller down and laugh. It's all out fight fight fight and concentration. Maybe the next raid might have the element of fun to it but right now I'm not fussed with raids.

Hit level 25 with my chemical romance there, jesus it's an awful slog.

Finally have a full armour set as well, went through near 200 tokens trying to get the boots to complete the set; Then get two pairs one after the other....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

I enjoyed the grind myself. Got the full set DO set on my hunter which is what i wanted. Almost have all the ornaments. Got to 50 on Thursday morning so I've mainly been helping other people grind since. I prefer to go between Trostland>>Outskirts>>Winding Cove>>Firebase Hades. Easiest sectors are under Devrim in the church and down the hole in the Cove.

I prefer being able to pick only 1 faction. In past rallies I picked a faction on each character and got none up to a decent level.

Looking forward to the next one probably try to get the FWC Titan set.

jcd5971 wrote: »
    I'm liking Mars right now for the farm, 2 patrols and a heroic public event or a few yellow bars for the easy 5 renown.
    And the lost sector near Anna bray is easy.
    The enemies all funnel to you, and at the end the yellow bar "boss" just stands at the entrance of the last room he won't chase you at all.

Short one too the whole loop is about 10 mind from 5 renown to dead to back out to restart process.

Obviously earth has more public events, but some of the lost sectors are a bit dicey.

Tried Mars for a while, I kept getting killed while trying to get past EP events (or getting involved in them and losing ) and it wipes my renown so I went back to the EDZ, there seems to be a crew on farming duties so I tag along with them.

The lost sector up by Anna is handy, yes, easy enough to do with 5 renown, but getting to that level (and keeping it) I found hard, probably because my light is below the recommend level and I get torn a new a$$hole every time I got near an EP event.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Yakuza wrote:
    The lost sector up by Anna is handy, yes, easy enough to do with 5 renown, but getting to that level (and keeping it) I found hard, probably because my light is below the recommend level and I get torn a new a$$hole every time I got near an EP event.

Oh Jaysus you lunatic lol, I avoid escalation protocol like the plague when farming rep, just do the patrols, and there's always a few yellow bars by the back area near the lost sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

So the Rat king......

How does this work?

Finish a nightfall strike with 5 minutes left? Is their a total time allocated? Where can I see that?

Im not going to switch out my Riskrunner or Skyburners Oath for it but i still want it :)

dreamers75 wrote: »
    So the Rat king......

How does this work?

Finish a nightfall strike with 5 minutes left? Is their a total time allocated? Where can I see that?

Im not going to switch out my Riskrunner or Skyburners Oath for it but i still want it :)

That step has been changed as the nightfall no longer has a countdown timer. You now need to complete a nightfall with a fireteam member also on that quest step or is currently equipped with the Rat King.

Gave up on the Dead Orbit Rank 50 grind. Needed a decent day yesterday to have a chance at it and life/bungo didn't oblige - play 5 pvp matches for the rep bundle? B f'n S!

Got to Rank 33 or so, if I play tonight might get it to rank 40, but I won't be concentrating on it tonight if a SoS final boss attempt is on.

Will probably switch to FWC for the next rally and try to get it done in the week, then finish off DO in the final rally.

Yeh I'm quite content to get it next time around or that, it's a fairly ****ty grind.

• Advertisement

Gave up on the Dead Orbit Rank 50 grind. Needed a decent day yesterday to have a chance at it and life/bungo didn't oblige - play 5 pvp matches for the rep bundle? B f'n S!

Got to Rank 33 or so, if I play tonight might get it to rank 40, but I won't be concentrating on it tonight if a SoS final boss attempt is on.

Will probably switch to FWC for the next rally and try to get it done in the week, then finish off DO in the final rally.

Got to 50 yesterday and got all but 2 of the armour ornaments. They really need to look at giving tokens for other things. The PvP above is a perfect example. Play 5 games of PvP for an hour and say you lose all 5 games you'll get maybe 10 tokens!! That's nonsense. They'll surely change it up for the next rally.

On another note, I think you lose all your tokens on reset, so spend those tokens.

Yeh I'm quite content to get it next time around or that, it's a fairly ****ty grind.

I'll wait to rally 3 to finish the DO one.

If I stick with DO next time, I will get the GL catalyst but means I have to gind to 50 for FWC in the last one to get Sunshot.

If I switch to FWC for the next one I can grind it that week - maybe get 50 but at least going into the last rally I will know the state of play with my rankings. Feels the smarter choice.

I wonder if the same catalysts will be available in the Faction Rallies for year 2.

1. they could be the same rewards for season year 2 season 1. Which would actually be quite disappointing.
    2. They could just become part of the drop pool or purchasable at a lower rank level in year 2 (say rank 25?)
    3. They could be 'lost' forever.

I suppose it could tie in to what happens to weapons in general in Year 2, will bungo simply make everything obsolete in Year 2 due to the chance in weapons/loadouts - wouldn't be surprised at all.

I'll wait to rally 3 to finish the DO one.

If I stick with DO next time, I will get the GL catalyst but means I have to gind to 50 for FWC in the last one to get Sunshot.

If I switch to FWC for the next one I can grind it that week - maybe get 50 but at least going into the last rally I will know the state of play with my rankings. Feels the smarter choice.

I wonder if the same catalysts will be available in the Faction Rallies for year 2.

1. they could be the same rewards for season year 2 season 1. Which would actually be quite disappointing.
    2. They could just become part of the drop pool or purchasable at a lower rank level in year 2 (say rank 25?)
    3. They could be 'lost' forever.

I suppose it could tie in to what happens to weapons in general in Year 2, will bungo simply make everything obsolete in Year 2 due to the chance in weapons/loadouts - wouldn't be surprised at all.
    This is what I'm thinking, will all our stuff be obsolete a la Taken King.
    I've built up all my armour sets that I like for the Warlock and have some decent ones for the titan as well so I'm hoping they can be kept, the Titan ones more so as one of them is an eververse set from CoO.

Guns as well, I've settled on a handful of guns that I use, but still have a few backups in the vault in case they become decent again. If it's all ****ed come September, that's gonna make the grind up to now a bit pointless if you have to do it all over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

This is what I'm thinking, will all our stuff be obsolete a la Taken King.
    I've built up all my armour sets that I like for the Warlock and have some decent ones for the titan as well so I'm hoping they can be kept, the Titan ones more so as one of them is an eververse set from CoO.

Guns as well, I've settled on a handful of guns that I use, but still have a few backups in the vault in case they become decent again. If it's all ****ed come September, that's gonna make the grind up to now a bit pointless if you have to do it all over again.

I don't think they'll make that mistake again, if it can be avoided. Until we know more about how the new weapon system and random roll system works, we won't know for sure. On the armour side, the changes aren't going to be as drastic as the weapon changes.

As for the Faction Catalysts, they'll be added to the general loot pool in September I'm guessing. They won't have those three as "miss em? Tough luck to you" sorta thing. The whole Masterwork system is being changed too, so I can't see them NOT adding them to the loot pool.

I don't think they'll make that mistake again, if it can be avoided. Until we know more about how the new weapon system and random roll system works, we won't know for sure. On the armour side, the changes aren't going to be as drastic as the weapon changes.

As for the Faction Catalysts, they'll be added to the general loot pool in September I'm guessing. They won't have those three as "miss em? Tough luck to you" sorta thing. The whole Masterwork system is being changed too, so I can't see them NOT adding them to the loot pool.

But with the whole masterwork system changing, will it render current one obsolete? Think they said something about leveling them up over time, so the current ones could be the level 1 catalysts I suppose.

As you say, until we hear their plans, it is hard to discuss anything about weapons or armor we currently have.

My expectations are set on everything becoming obsolete. All the current stuff is designed for the current sandbox - new weapon types and loadouts change things considerably.

I wonder if they could apply a random roll (within the set alloted to a gun) to everything you already have - or will everything we already have stay as is, simply with the possibility of a new Better Devils being a new rolled gun? Or will the current guns carry forward, but simply not drop anymore - so old guns work but all new guns are random. Mod system changes could be used to impact the current gun sets too.

ULDREN!! I'M COMING FOR YOU!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

They'll probably make the existing season pass cheaper once Forsaken comes out, right? Was tempted to come back to it last week, but might hold off for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Kiith wrote: »
    They'll probably make the existing season pass cheaper once Forsaken comes out, right? Was tempted to come back to it last week, but might hold off for that.

Re-read what you posted. I'd say they will release a Complete Edition of the Base Game and 2 DLC's, like they did with Taken King back in D1. A Cheaper option for JUST CoO and Warmind? Considering both are a requirement for Forsaken you would hope so.

Kinda:

Forsaken - €40
    Annual Pass - €30 (3 "DLC")

Old Season Pass - €30 (2 DLC)

So It's now €10 per DLC in the bundle, instead of €15.

ULDREN!! I'M COMING FOR YOU!

In fairness, Cayde was starting to get a little annoying...

• Advertisement

I think it was more just the over reliance on him being the funny one that made him annoying.
    I love Nathan Fillion, but he doesn't need to do ALL of the jokes ALL of the time.
    D1 levels were fine.

Advertisement