Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will or would you donate your water refund?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

No I will be spending it on myself rather than to admin costs of a charity with the off chance that a small percentage will actually reach the needy.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Redlim

Why should the honest people who paid their water taxes be guilted by charities to hand over a big chunk of hard earned (already taxed) money for a second time while those who "broke the law" escape the guilt trip?

Those getting refunds should do whatever they like with the money, put it towards bills, treat themselves or their families, grandkids etc. Maybe some would still give some or all of it to charity - but only on their terms and to a charity of their choosing.

I don't like this tactic coming from the charities. Their intentions here are good obviously and some of the work they do is incredible but this campaign doesn't sit right. I wonder how many of these charity campaigners will donate their refunds in full, if they're even due one in the first place!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,122 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

No fecking way.

It's my money and I'll spend it on my family, not on the feckless. I regard it as my responsibility to provide for them, and don't expect 'free stuff'

I pay a ridiculous amount of tax as it is.

Charities in this country need a serious cull - far too many of them, many of which are vanity projects / ego trips / meal tickets for their founders. That's bad enough when donations fund them, but it's beyond a joke that many of them get taxpayer funding. Taxes should fund public services and these shouldn't be outsourced to charities where oversight and accountability are too often lacking. Charitable donations should be voluntary, taxes aren't voluntary.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

I rather give it to something like the volunteer drivers who go delivering blood supplies to hospitals or to the childrens hopital.
    Saddly i dont give money to svp anymore. Ill give a toy gor christmas but not money...im sorry im not paying your electricity bill in jan just evcause you decided to light up your house lile the house from home alone even though you cant afford it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Yeah but did you film all that and yourself giving a homeless man a scone for likes on Facebook.

Of course. Sure otherwise it never happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Nope, spending it on Xmas beer which vaguely qualifies as domestic use of a majority - water constituted utility .

Didn't pay originally. Didn't apply for the bribe/€100 grant either. I actually kept my bills, nearly €400. Used them to light the fire the other day.

Wow, edgy

• Registered Users Posts: 33,148 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If we had one homeless charity with one CEO, I'd consider it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

If the charities can’t solve the issue with the €120m or so they already have I doubt my €200 will make a difference.

Of course if they did solve the problem they would no longer exist and we can’t be having that can we. CEO needs his 90k package.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

My mother nearly crippled herself between paying this and the property tax, and she paid it purely out of fear that if she didn't, she'd receive an even bigger fine or be sent to jail!

It's simply not the case that most people who paid this were well off enough to do so. People paid it out of fear and because they have a conscience, even if it meant leaving them on the breadline for a week.

So my mother will be keeping the money, which was her money in the first place, all to herself and maybe treating herself to something small for Christmas. She already donates to Cancer Care and LauraLynn, not that it matters- you don't have to already have donated to charity to feel you're entitled to your own money back and to spend it as you wish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,148 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

sozbox wrote: »
    If the charities can’t solve the issue with the €120m or so they already have I doubt my €200 will make a difference.

Of course if they did solve the problem they would no longer exist and we can’t be having that can we. CEO needs his 90k package.

You can't solve homelessness. Every country in the world has it.

You can improve it, but never eradicate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

sozbox wrote: »

No charity (except those 100% staffed by volunteers) have the slightest interest in "solving" the cause they champion. Quite the reverse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

I helped out the local st vdp one year locally to deliver a few Xmas hampers. I was genuinely shocked by some of the people that got them. I'm certainly not saying they didn't deserve them, probably really did need them, but it seems there are a great deal of hidden poor families out there.
    Maybe local based charities are the best to help if you have doubts about the bigger ones.
    I give food parcels to local groups who collect them, one nearby town has a toy scheme whereby you buy a toy for a child's name on an Xmas card on a big tree. You can give something and know what you give ultimately has to be going to a worthy recipient.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,122 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

We have cash benefits among the highest in the world. What are these people spending the money given to them on?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Yeah but did you film all that and yourself giving a homeless man a scone for likes on Facebook.

Does anyone actually do this? Serious question.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Satts

I'll be doing a Jesus on it and turning water in to wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,307 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I find when charities say things like this it sort of turns me off them. My father gave money to a homeless charity and every so often they'd send him a letter looking for money but once they putting a little hand written sticky note in it saying remembers us in your will!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I find when charities say things like this it sort of turns me off them. My father gave money to a homeless charity and every so often they'd send him a letter lucking for money but once they putting a little hand written sticky note in it saying remembers us in your will!

A couple of charities are moving towards legacy donations by asking people to donate something from their estate after they pass.
    It's surprisingly popular with a number of individuals leaving thier houses to homeless charities.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,307 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

A couple of charities are moving towards legacy donations by asking people to donate something from their estate after they pass.
    It's surprisingly popular with a number of individuals leaving thier houses to homeless charities.

I totally understand this. It was just the way the note was written didn't sound good!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Pithythefool

The government should have held onto it themselves, and then, very publicly, donated it to the charities.

The people who bought into the scam of Irish water deserve nothing but a hard lesson. They were willing to bend over and take it, and by doing so, drag the rest of us down with them.

Giving them the money back will mean they learn nothing, and then when the next scam is dreamed up by the government they will probably buy into that one too....

oh, wait...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

I find when charities say things like this it sort of turns me off them. My father gave money to a homeless charity and every so often they'd send him a letter lucking for money but once they putting a little hand written sticky note in it saying remembers us in your will!

Doesn't surprise me; they will do anything and say anything to squeeze money out of you. There must be tremendous pressure on charity staff/volunteers to get money in order to pay the inordinate salaries of the charity executives.

And I'm fed up with the constant barrage of charity commercials on television during this 'festive' season. One has to wonder whether the ad money could have been put to better use.

This initiative for people to donate water refunds just shows how detached these charities are from the real world. Of course RTE was all over this (as you might expect) and watching the interviews of charity heads/reps talking about the refunds; you get a sense that they feel entitled to get that money.
    They have no consideration of people possibly needing the refunds themselves, and their methods of trying to make us feel guilty should not be rewarded.

I keep charity local and will never again contribute to any large charity organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

The government should have got revenue to collect the charges, a major bags up on their behalf. Us in rural areas payed thousands to get water in and dirty water out and pay everyday for its upkeep.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

The homeless charity industry receives over 120million a year in government funding

Enough to build houses for all the homeless since the crisis began
    Exactly. As the anti water people were foud of telling us, we already pay for water and the homeless in our taxes.

So why pay twice?
    touts wrote: »
    Not a chance. Many of the bleeding heart media attention seeking lefties now telling me that the money could be better spent on the homeless were the very people telling me not to pay the charges a few years ago and that water should be paid for out of general taxation. Well had we all paid for water like we should have then there would be more money in general taxation to help the homeless properly.

picard-yes.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

The government should have got revenue to collect the charges, a major bags up on their behalf. Us in rural areas payed thousands to get water in and dirty water out and pay everyday for its upkeep. .

Ever wonder why Revenue wasn't involved? Think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    The government should have got revenue to collect the charges, a major bags up on their behalf. Us in rural areas payed thousands to get water in and dirty water out and pay everyday for its upkeep. .

Ever wonder why Revenue wasn't involved? Think about it.

Oh Jesus, please don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,892 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I'm leaving something to charity when I go above or below! I've no children and a house and a few bob and my nieces will be crippled by tax by what I leave so can only give them so much. Am defo looking into charity options as no way am I leaving SFA to the taxman out of my after tax income.

Estate planning is so important and people don't pay enough attention to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,243 ✭✭✭Cody montana

My housemates have moved out since.
    All for Silas.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Why would you give to a charity? Hundreds of homeless people all around town with cups out. But a tenner in a few of their cups and you know its 100% going to charity then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,892 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I intend hiring a Penthouse suite in The Bellagio Vegas with a private performance from Chippendales drinking vintage Champagne from my eighty year old wrinkled belly button, I'm going to burn it, but in case there is anything left, I'd like to help a genuine cause, no fat cat salaries, someone who works on the ground, they really still exist. And they are losing out because of the bad press.

Advertisement