Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will or would you donate your water refund?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

The homeless charity industry receives over 120million a year in government funding

Enough to build houses for all the homeless since the crisis began

Can’t pay the wages if the money is spend on houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

amcalester wrote: »
    Can’t pay the wages if the money is spend on houses.

Exactly a business no different than any other

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

The homeless charity industry receives over 120million a year in government funding

And put themselves out of business? Turkeys voting for Christmas a more likely prospect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Not to mention that many councils (including DCC whhere most homeless are) voted to reduce the LPT by 15%, money which could have been spent providing much needed services.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

Always thought Adi Roche would have been a fine President, probably would have donated all her salary to the Chernobyl fund, she truly is one in a billion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Merowig

I will definitely donate it to my bank account.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

My philosophy is if you have a few bob to spare and if you are in town give a couple of notes directly to source have a chat with them and wish them well

Bypass the industry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭by8auj6csd3ioq

Won't get refund as did not pay bill. But if i did i would not give apeny to any charity with their big salaried bosses. They must think people are stupid. If i want to give money i would give it to some deserving person themselves not through a "keep the CEO in champagne and holidays" so called 'charity'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

What I give to charity, I give to charity.

That's not going to change because I get a tax refund or a cheque back from irish water.

If people want to/can give money to charity, they'll do it regardless and shouldn't be made to feel bad about keeping the money they've been refunded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Quite simply, no.

We have a charity we make donation to as a family at Christmas we'll stick to that.

Personally, I thought the campaign was a silly one.......this isn't a windfall. We're just getting money back we paid that others didn't.......where's the campaign targeting the people who didn't pay (on the basis they 'benefitted' by not paying).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭by8auj6csd3ioq

Is that your one whose presidential campaign was derailed when past employees of her charity spoke to the media about what she was like to work for?
    yes it is

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

It’s going to the Mad Muffin benevolence fund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

I gave €100 to a fund for a local baby born with cancer.

The water refund will go into my bank account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

can't believe people actually paid that money

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    can't believe people actually paid that money

And we get to keep the €100 grant on top of the refund.

WIN WIN!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Exactly. As the anti water people were foud of telling us, we already pay for water and the homeless in our taxes.

So why pay twice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Exactly. As the anti water people were foud of telling us, we already pay for water and the homeless in our taxes.

It cost 94 million to to pay out the conservation grant. That would have provided a lot of homes, instead of trying to get people to sign up to a quango. Btw no aware of anyone who is anti water.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

No.

I'm not going to pontificate about why not. I just want my tree fiddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,893 ✭✭✭✭anewme

We get 150 Christmas voucher in work. I give mine to the local animal rescue. They do great work. This year their luck is in as they'll get a voucher and a water refund.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

We don't get an Xmas bonus :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

If I thought that donating it would make an actual difference then I would absolutely would but I don’t think it would make an ounce of difference so I’ll spend it on my own family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

snowflaker wrote:
    We don't get an Xmas bonus

We do.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,120 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

What I give to charity, I give to charity.

That's not going to change because I get a tax refund or a cheque back from irish water.

If people want to/can give money to charity, they'll do it regardless and shouldn't be made to feel bad about keeping the money they've been refunded.

It's not mandatory Whoops, it's a request.
    Bothar, and other charities come up with ways, novel ways to get funding to help.
    This is another one.
    Using it as a way to attack charities is a bit sad.
    Leo has sparked a lot of nastiness from the well off in comparison with his homeless policy defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,893 ✭✭✭✭anewme

It's based on the statement "what you've never had, you'll never miss"

A lot of people who paid their water charges are not stuck for it and won't be impacted financially by not having it back. That's the target market.

Personally I feel the Apollo house fiasco and the "homeless" who live in 4 star hotels while waiting on their forever home To be handed to them on a plate have caused severe damage to the genuine homeless charities and people who live under the radar and need help but are not shiny or nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    We do.

So do we.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Thinly veiled I've got a home

I don't think making a play on words to imply snarky comments that I certainly did not intend is particularly clever.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,120 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

anewme wrote: »
    It's based on the statement "what you've never had, you'll never miss"

A lot of people who paid their water charges are not stuck for it and won't be impacted financially by not having it back. That's the target market.

Personally I feel the Apollo house fiasco and the "homeless" who live in 4 star hotels while waiting on their forever home To be handed to them on a plate have caused severe damage to the genuine homeless charities and people who live under the radar and need help but are not shiny or nice.

There are 'shiny nice homeless people'?
    Jesus, it really isn't hard to scratch deep rooted issues in people. Save your money if it is really that much of a problem. Really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

It's not mandatory Whoops, it's a request.
    Bothar, and other charities come up with ways, novel ways to get funding to help.
    This is another one.
    Using it as a way to attack charities is a bit sad.
    Leo has sparked a lot of nastiness from the well off in comparison with his homeless policy defence.

I'm well aware of what it is thank you!

I haven't attacked any charities.

I donate monthly to CMRF. I've been heavily involved in raising huge amounts for SSF here on boards. I've raised money for Simon, Aware, Feilecain, Pieta House, RNLI, CFI, Laura Lynn, Debra, Irish Cancer Society, GOAL. I've sent countless shoeboxes to developing countries and just this morning I dropped off a load of essentials packs for the homeless and sponsored sleeping bags for rough sleepers.

I just don't think people should be guilted into donating money because they're getting refunded their IW payments.

I'm also someone who is happy to pay for good clean water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭Comhrá

€50 to SVP and €50 to Limerick Animal Welfare. Balance to myself.

Advertisement