Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will or would you donate your water refund?

Options
  • 01-12-2017 9:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭

I see three homeless charities are targeting anyone getting water charge refunds to donate all or some of it.
    Now I paid my charge, I may well donate some to some charity, but given all the talk of high paid execs in these charities, I'd be dubious as to which I'd support.
    And also i dont think it is fair to pick on just this section or put a campaign in place targeting it.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2017/1201/924209-charities-water-refund-homelessness/[/QUOTE]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

Don't do it ...... it's a scam !

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I won't, I'm broke as feck so will need that refund to buy food at the end of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

**** em, sick to death of the homeless

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭xabi

Anyone remember how much we paid?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,295 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Nope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

I remember they sent me a cheque for about a hundred euros a couple of years ago and I kindly donated it to my local barkeep almost immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,114 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Great idea.
    It was dead/spent money anyway.
    Love an initiative that helps and doesn't really affect me. It's only money.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭waffleman

Id rather buy hot food / drinks.with it and hand it out

I cant help thinkin charities in Ireland these days waste most of any donation

waffleman wrote: »
    Id rather buy hot food / drinks.with it and hand it out

I cant help thinkin charities in Ireland these days waste most of any donation

Never bothered me that people made a career of helping people.
    Some get paid excessively though.
    But, fair play to those who are on the frontline.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

A year old wonder if they have had pay increases or decreases?

http://www.thejournal.ie/irish-charity-ceo-salaries-spending-best-practice-2659408-Mar2016/
    10. Patrick Quinn, Head of National Office, Simon
    €85,000 salary
    Oversees six staff at the Simon Community’s head office, and revenue of €731,347 in 2014.

Simon is a network of regional communities. CEO of the Dublin Simon Community, Sam McGuinness, has a salary of €93,338.

That's just two of the bosses in Simon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,439 ✭✭✭touts

Not a chance. Many of the bleeding heart media attention seeking lefties now telling me that the money could be better spent on the homeless were the very people telling me not to pay the charges a few years ago and that water should be paid for out of general taxation. Well had we all paid for water like we should have then there would be more money in general taxation to help the homeless properly. Next time some lad on the street asks me for something I'm giving him a piece of paper with Paul Murphy's phone number.

Anyway most of the money donated in this scam will just go to pay the wages of the rag tag group of rejects from the media, sports and politics who have reinvented themselves as some of the highest paid charity "administrators" in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Just looked up Simon Communities Ireland.

For year ending 31/12/16

Income €934k

Wages and Salaries €380k (6 staff)

Tangible assets €2.3m

Cash €268k

Bank O/D & LT loans €2.3m

Vision - "A society without homelessness"

This org is the umbrella org for the various Simon organisations around the country.

Patrick Quinn receives a salary of €80k. Two other staff received salaries of between €60 and €70k. Separately, pensions of €16.5k were paid.

Apart from €90k from Pobal, the rest was pretty much Donations/charity.

touts wrote: »
    Not a chance. Many of the bleeding heart media attention seeking lefties now telling me that the money could be better spent on the homeless were the very people telling me not to pay the charges a few years ago and that water should be paid for out of general taxation. Well had we all paid for water like we should have then there would be more money in general taxation to help the homeless properly. Next time some lad on the street asks me for something I'm giving him a piece of paper with Paul Murphy's phone number.

Anyway most of the money donated in this scam will just go to pay the wages of the rag tag group of rejects from the media, sports and politics who have reinvented themselves as some of the highest paid charity "administrators" in the world.

I think you probably know most of that is not true. I didn't object to the principle of paying for water, I objected to the typical FF FG way of doing it
    That is why I have no problem donating to help alleviate the typical FG FF reaction to homelessness.

Why so many charities dealing with the same issues?

The charity regulator should be forcing any charities with paid CEOs and other admin staff to merge, keeping only the most efficient ones, reducing the need for high paid CEOs (if they were good they would probably have jobs in the private sector anyway)

Those that want to remain separate should loose any "charitable status".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Charity begins at home, so no.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I'm giving it to my local Simon, wasn't expecting it, so not going to miss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭deandean

Homeless charities are awash with money at this stage. Money is not the problem. I certainly will not be giving my refund to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭gifted

Not a cent...I used but not anymore...not after Rehab scandal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

xabi wrote: »
    Anyone remember how much we paid?

I got a cheque for €324 in the door yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

The reason I have a home is because I had to make choices all my life and do without so many other things which others take for granted in order to make it possible. for me having a home is not due to good luck or being helped out by parents or anybody else. it involved sacrifices, choices, working long hours in unpleasant jobs not to mention the anxiety and stress about paying the mortgage and household bills when I was unemployed and didn't get any help.

I think what's lost in all of this is that home ownership has its duties as well as its rights but that's a debate for another day.

So I'm holding on to the refund to treat myself to a certain something I always wanted and felt bad about buying because the money was always needed for something house-related!

But fair play to anybody who does donate the refund. and I hope in your time of need it will come back to you ten fold!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

I'm going on the beer with it for Xmas so its will be the same as donating it only I get to piss it against the wall

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Name: Adi Roche

Salary: € 0

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Poll needed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

I got a cheque for €324 in the door yesterday
    juneg wrote: »
    Charity begins at home, so no.

Thinly veiled I've got a home

I think you probably know most of that is not true. I didn't object to the principle of paying for water, I objected to the typical FF FG way of doing it
    That is why I have no problem donating to help alleviate the typical FG FF reaction to homelessness.

Off you go so. And I think you probably know most of your €300 will get lost in administration costs long before any of it reaches the streets.

@gctest50

We could do with a few more CEOs like Adi Roche

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

I'd say that's just bunkum, with all due respect!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

**** no. Wouldn't trust Irish charities as far as I'd throw them. Thieving bastards.

@gctest50

We could do with a few more CEOs like Adi Roche

Is that your one whose presidential campaign was derailed when past employees of her charity spoke to the media about what she was like to work for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The homeless charity industry receives over 120million a year in government funding

Enough to build houses for all the homeless since the crisis began

Advertisement