Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will or would you donate your water refund?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

The only charity I be doing is buying food and blankets for the local animal rescue places. The amount of animals that get thrown out or abused is fcuking shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

anewme wrote: »
    Patww79 wrote: »
    I'd rather have it burnt than pay for a holiday or mistress for some charity CEO if I'd nobody else to leave it to.

I intend hiring a Penthouse suite in The Bellagio Vegas with a private performance from Chippendales drinking vintage Champagne from my eighty year old wrinkled belly button, I'm going to burn it, but in case there is anything left, I'd like to help a genuine cause, no fat cat salaries, someone who works on the ground, they really still exist. And they are losing out because of the bad press.

What's happening now is that if a charity particularly one that's a housing association involved with homelessness are left a property are assessing and housing people themselves and not involving local authorities directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭anewme

What's happening now is that if a charity particularly one that's a housing association involved with homelessness are left a property are assessing and housing people themselves and not involving local authorities directly.

I suppose 50 homeless dogs could live in my house and crap on the neighbours lawn!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I suppose 50 homeless dogs could live in my house and crap on the neighbours lawn!

They could.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

I intend hiring a Penthouse suite in The Bellagio Vegas with a private performance from Chippendales drinking vintage Champagne from my eighty year old wrinkled belly button, I'm going to burn it, but in case there is anything left, I'd like to help a genuine cause, no fat cat salaries, someone who works on the ground, they really still exist. And they are losing out because of the bad press.

Agreed. They do exist.

And as mentioned already upthread, buying food and giving it directly to volunteers who work with people in need, homeless or otherwise, is something I prefer to do, when I can.

A lot of charities have been badly damaged by what was allowed to happen in the likes of REHAB and Console. It will take a long time for that damage to be repaired.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,119 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

We spend 120m on homelessness in Dublin.

http://www.homelessdublin.ie/funding-homeless-services

Last year, 2016, we spent 96m.

In 2016 we spent 73m on emergency accomm in Dublin.

47m was paid to hotels.

I suggest we spend some of that on building houses instead.

This is public spending, and it excludes voluntary charity spending.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,119 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Even if there were thousands of empty houses, many of the 200 or so rough sleepers in Dublin would still sleep rough.

So for them, shortage of houses is not the issue.

Alcohol, drugs, mental illness, chaotic lifestyles are the problems.

Now, more houses would help the thousands in emergency accomm.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Geuze wrote: »
    Even if there were thousands of empty houses, many of the 200 or so rough sleepers in Dublin would still sleep rough.

So for them, shortage of houses is not the issue.

Alcohol, drugs, mental illness, chaotic lifestyles are the problems.

Now, more houses would help the thousands in emergency accomm.

I'd rather help the rough sleepers and get to the root of their issues, than contribute towards single parents or families with 3 or 4 children and no means to support themselves. I don't want to psy towards these irresponsible People who think homeless Gets you something's for nothing. The word 'homeless' is very much abused in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

snowflaker wrote: »
    I gave €100 to a fund for a local baby born with cancer.

The water refund will go into my bank account.

I now have given more than the refund. The shave was tonight. I gave her €10 directly and she was so delighted - only 1 year old - I was in bits seeing her earlier.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,058 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

but once they putting a little hand written sticky note in it saying remembers us in your will!

The cheeky Feckers!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭mikeysmith

I've decided to donate my water refund

I need lots of bottles and containers for the donation,if any has some going spare please

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,598 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    can't believe people actually paid that money
    I actually overpaid in the hope it would help keep Irish Water afloat...

Any refund will go to a charitable cause with a non-paid hard working CEO. Hopefully DeV will be even harder working as a result!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭deandean

I am going to donate my Irish water refund to boards.ie
    That is a worthy cause. It is a genuine service to the people of Ireland. And no fat cat salaries (unfortunately for those involved in boards.ie) :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Why don't they tap up the people who didn't bother paying for water, look for donations off them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

fullstop wrote:
    Why don't they tap up the people who didn't bother paying for water, look for donations off them?

IW tried that, didn't work out too well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

No, it will nearly cover my Local Property Tax which is now due so I am keeping if for myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

I don't think ordinary joe soaps should be guilt tripped into paying it to charities.i didn't pay out of principle.some paid out of fear eveny though money was tight.those people deserve to spend their money on their own households.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Got mine today. Straight into the bank. Why would I give it away.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

are people receiving refunds yet? I haven't received mine yet. I have an empty money box on my mantlepiece with the slogan "charity begins at home' waiting for the refund with baited breath so I can treat myself before Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

I booked a hotel I'm Madrid last week costing €122. Cheque from IW came in the post a couple of days later for €122. If that's not a sign I don't know what is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,003 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Not a fcuking notion of giving it to charity, shtop will you OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

are people receiving refunds yet? I haven't received mine yet. I have an empty money box on my mantlepiece with the slogan "charity begins at home' waiting for the refund with baited breath so I can treat myself before Christmas

You can check when you'll get yours

https://www.water.ie/for-home/refunds/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

Give them nothing..i pay enough tax and then got bullied into paying this water charge...when i get it back i'm drinking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

MysticMonk wrote: »
    Give them nothing..i pay enough tax and then got bullied into paying this water charge...when i get it back i'm drinking it.
    Precisely - as has been pointed out, anyone who pays tax already contributes financially to people who are homeless.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

Precisely - as has been pointed out, anyone who pays tax already contributes financially to people who are homeless.

Charities will always make sure they pay their CEOs and directors and staff first and foremost.

My tax money is going towards homeless accommadation (how about that for an oxymoron) as well as the dole for them to spend on drink and drugs once they're there.

We must be mad...might as well be working for a bowl of soup and even that the "charaties" want to take off you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

fullstop wrote: »

Jesus no chance - give that **** Murphy another cross ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

No

cos I had to have the septic tank emptied last week (€180 - once every two years)

It needed annual servicing too - €80

Pump was on the last legs - new pump = €210

So less the €130 water refund (water supply only), the total charge for me this year is a net €340.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I won't be getting a refund as I supply and pay for my own water supply...despite paying taxes...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    I'm giving it to my local Simon, wasn't expecting it, so not going to miss it.

It goes back into the economy anyway.

Because when CEO gets the new indoor pool in their house, materials will be bought at the local supplier's yard and local tilers will get wages, which they in turn will spend in local shops etc.

It's all good. Feeling very positive today.

• Advertisement
Advertisement