Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will or would you donate your water refund?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67,576 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I'm well aware of what it is thank you!

I haven't attacked any charities.

I donate monthly to CMRF. I've been heavily involved in raising huge amounts for SSF here on boards. I've raised money for Simon, Aware, Feilecain, Pieta House, RNLI, CFI, Laura Lynn, Debra, Irish Cancer Society, GOAL. I've sent countless shoeboxes to developing countries and just this morning I dropped off a load of essentials packs for the homeless and sponsored sleeping bags for rough sleepers.

I just don't think people should be guilted into donating money because they're getting refunded their IW payments.

I'm also someone who is happy to pay for good clean water.

It's just a suggestion. Nobody is 'guilting' that I can see.
    Remarkable antipathy in this country. It was the same vitriol last year around Apollo. (Not from you, just an observation)

It is almost like people will go out of their way to guilt people who help here

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭anewme

There are 'shiny nice homeless people'?
    Jesus, it really isn't hard to scratch deep rooted issues in people. Save your money if it is really that much of a problem. Really.

I dont need your affirmation, one way or another.

Erica Fleming is a perfect recent example of a shiny nice "homeless" person. She wanted her forever home in an area that suited her and was prepared to sit it out in a 4 star hotel till she got what she wanted and was prepared to push her Agenda that she was a single mother forced to raise her child in a hotel. the poster couple who got engaged in Apollo House were scammers. These are the shiny media savvy shiny homeless people who need a kick in the hole.

I'd not contribute the steam off my pee if I thought this type of person was benefitting from one red cent I donated anywhere.

The reality is the real homeless who are on the streets have issues such as mental illness/ childhood abuse and other addictions that are complex and not easily solved, so they don't suit the poster ideal of "homeless" as it's more complex than that.

I work very hard for my money and as a working class person who can thankfully give a few bob back , my mantra is save a little, give a little back where it can help. I have 2 standing orders monthly and the bit at a Christmas. If you do not like where I give my money, that's your issue, I could not give a flying fck but I'll keep helping causes I believe in.

anewme wrote: »
    I dont need your affirmation, one way or another.

Erica Fleming is a perfect recent example of a shiny nice "homeless" person. She wanted her forever home in an area that suited her and was prepared to sit it out in a 4 star hotel till she got what she wanted and was prepared to push her Agenda that she was a single mother forced to raise her child in a hotel. the poster couple who got engaged in Apollo House were scammers. These are the shiny media savvy shiny homeless people who need a kick in the hole.

I'd not contribute the steam off my pee if I thought this type of person was benefitting from one red cent I donated anywhere.

The reality is the real homeless who are on the streets have issues such as mental illness/ childhood abuse and other addictions that are complex and not easily solved, so they don't suit the poster ideal of "homeless" as it's more complex than that.

I work very hard for my money and as a working class person who can thankfully give a few bob back , my mantra is save a little, give a little back where it can help. I have 2 standing orders monthly and the bit at a Christmas. If you do not like where I give my money, that's your issue, I could not vibe a flying fck but I'll keep helping causes I believe in.

OK. :eek: take it handy on yourself there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

anewme wrote:
    It's based on the statement "what you've never had, you'll never miss"

But I did have it and gave it to Irish water so I missed spending it on sparkling Perrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

I'm well aware of what it is thank you!

I haven't attacked any charities.

I donate monthly to CMRF. I've been heavily involved in raising huge amounts for SSF here on boards. I've raised money for Simon, Aware, Feilecain, Pieta House, RNLI, CFI, Laura Lynn, Debra, Irish Cancer Society, GOAL. I've sent countless shoeboxes to developing countries and just this morning I dropped off a load of essentials packs for the homeless and sponsored sleeping bags for rough sleepers.

I just don't think people should be guilted into donating money because they're getting refunded their IW payments.

I'm also someone who is happy to pay for good clean water.

Yeah but did you film all that and yourself giving a homeless man a scone for likes on Facebook.

• Advertisement

touts wrote: »
    Not a chance. Many of the bleeding heart media attention seeking lefties now telling me that the money could be better spent on the homeless were the very people telling me not to pay the charges a few years ago and that water should be paid for out of general taxation. Well had we all paid for water like we should have then there would be more money in general taxation to help the homeless properly. Next time some lad on the street asks me for something I'm giving him a piece of paper with Paul Murphy's phone number.

Anyway most of the money donated in this scam will just go to pay the wages of the rag tag group of rejects from the media, sports and politics who have reinvented themselves as some of the highest paid charity "administrators" in the world.

If I could thank this 100 times I would. Very well said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Guy Sajer

No way would I or ever will give a cent go a "charity". 20 years ago I would be cursing anyone who would say such a thing but real life has thought me that they are a scam.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,284 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I'd happily donate it if all the people who refused to pay their water charges donated the same. Why should I as a law abiding citizen be made feel guilty about accepting a refund for something that so many refused to pay in the first place?

Zaph wrote: »
    I'd happily donate it if all the people who refused to pay their water charges donated the same. Why should I as a law abiding citizen be made feel guilty about accepting a refund for something that so many refused to pay in the first place?

I know. We have truly gone down the rabbit hole in this country.

Who is making you feel guilty? It is a fairly standard charity request. Give or don't.

• Advertisement

Who is making you feel guilty? It is a fairly standard charity request. Give or don't.

I don't have a problem with giving to charity, but this is not a fairly standard charity request, it's opportunism aimed at those who paid their water charges. I don't see a request aimed at those who didn't asking them to donate what they would have paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭foxatron

These days i have my doubts about charities, sad thing to say i know. I justify my charity giving by playing the lotto. At least that way theres a chance i could get rich, (which will never happen) and some portion of my money will go to a charity. Same as giving to a normal charity really except i wont get rich.

I don't have a problem with giving to charity, but this is not a fairly standard charity request, it's opportunism aimed at those who paid their water charges. I don't see a request aimed at those who didn't asking them to donate what they would have paid.

It's a request to people who paid. :confused:
    The rest is coming from your fertile imagination

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Perhaps because of the hmmm how shall we say " interesting" way Iw was set up in the beginning.

they felt people who paid their water charges would be more likely to hand over money without question.

It's a request to people who paid. :confused:
    The rest is coming from your fertile imagination

I'm imagining that many people refused to pay their water charges?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

I'd donate it, if I got it in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Also did anyone else get an email from their bank in telling them where to donate their IW money, i know where i'd donate my money, if i actually paid :D

But if i did, i'd give some to my local animal rescue, After Rehab, charities are tarnashed, also isn't the charities regulator clamping down on too many charities for their 'charitable status'

Btw: Another reason people actually need it, as ironically Utility Bills went up a % today, which got more media attention ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,985 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

Edward M wrote: »
    I see three homeless charities are targeting anyone getting water charge refunds to donate all or some of it.
    Now I paid my charge, I may well donate some to some charity, but given all the talk of high paid execs in these charities, I'd be dubious as to which I'd support.
    And also i dont think it is fair to pick on just this section or put a campaign in place targeting it.

I found paying the water charges a struggle and sometimes I find it hard to get the money together for the property tax, car insurance/ tax the usual. I already donate to the homeless, every week I put 5 euros worth of food in the homeless trolley. I will not be guilt tripped into donating my refund, it's a Godsend to me this Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭rafatoni

Mena Mitty wrote: »
    I found paying the water charges a struggle and sometimes I find it hard to get the money together for the property tax, car insurance/ tax the usual. I already donate to the homeless, every week I put 5 euros worth of food in the homeless trolley. I will not be guilt tripped into donating my refund, it's a Godsend to me this Christmas.
    Will walter donate you reckon though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Mena Mitty wrote: »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    This.couldn't agree more.let the government get up off their fat wealthy arses and sort it out.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

No I'd rather stockpile my money than help anyone else.

If homeless people were worth helping they wouldn't be homeless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭bilbot79

I don't trust charities anymore.

Logically there is no reason to view the refund differently than any portion of your wages. Will put it towards motor tax myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Serious amounts of money gets pumped into homelessness. I’d rather donate to Debra Ireland or Laura Lynn or Make a Wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

I'm donating it to the FG parliamentary party just to spite Paul Murphy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭daheff

Have car insurance due around the same time. Fairly sure it’ll go to pay for the increase on my insurance due to the cartel they’ve let emerge

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Is there not another thread on this already, maybe I'm imagining things?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

anewme wrote: »
    Is there not another thread on this already, maybe I'm imagining things?

Could be a case of another thread disappearing down the page over night. There definately was one alright. Still there actually

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

No. Holding off paying tv licence until it comes in, then using it for that.

Why can't we have mass civil disobedience over how fcuking sh1t RTE is eh?

That's a boycott I can get behind!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Didn't pay originally. Didn't apply for the bribe/€100 grant either. I actually kept my bills, nearly €400. Used them to light the fire the other day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭S. Goodspeed

Total number of homeless people, (ie those sleeping rough on the streets which is always the image attached to articles relating to the “homeless crisis”), in Dublin reached a record high of 184 recently. That is still 184 lives that are essentially in tatters (whether it be through drugs or other) but it seems incredibly low given the non stop publicity the “homeless crisis” is getting.

I know there are additional people in emergency beds, hostels and apparently 1000s in hotels but in terms of minimising the number of people who literally have no roof over there heads I think we are doing a decent enough job. With people who regularly sleep on the street it’s often more of a mental health and / or drug issue rather than an actual shortage of suitable accommodation. The sad deaths of these people sleeping rough are always used as a stick to beat the government further with but again I think in most cases the deaths are drug related.

Anyway.... I won’t be giving my water refund to any charity. The SBP had a great article recently breaking down the amount of funding received and money spent by these charities, a whopping 50% was spent on salaries. There is very little transparency beyond that and i’m still not very sure what exactly comes under their definition / remit of homelessness.

http://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/homeless-charities-blasted-unaccountable-taxpayer-13829028

There is still extreme poverty in the country, it’s not as trendy as the homeless crisis but I would be more inclined to try to solve that first.

Advertisement