Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Fourth Christmas pudding cooked and 5thnone about to go on!

Wow you are on a roll!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭pigtail33

If anyone is around Dublin city centre after dark, I'd recommend wandering down to the Customs House. They have a few Christmassy light projectors shining on it and it looks amazing! It's very well done and definitely has the wow factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭DvB

What a weekend! Only back in work today & was glad as I needed the rest!
    Friday night we had our GAA club Christmas party, Satuday we had a full day of decorating the house & getting all the external lights up etc. we then watched the toy show with the kids which we had recorded the night before (we really enjoyed it this year, we all love the greatest showman so the theme helped in that respect)

Sunday we had the kids GAA christmas party & then went to Causey Farm for their santa experience, which we had an absolute ball at despite the rotten weather. First time at Causey & despite it being slightly less polished than other ones we'd gone to we enjoyed it more than any of the others, will defintely go back there next year!

Then yesterday myself & herself went out & bought the last of the little gifts we needed & got our own pressies for one another... was knackered by the time we collected the kids from school... then as the cherry on the cake, saw the guinness advert 'live' for the first time this year last night, so its 100% definitely christmas now!! All we need now is the RTE guide & we are sorted!!!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Dalomanakora

Off work today. My sciatica (from slipped discs) is flaring up very badly, but I knew the presents needed to be wrapped. I bought more than usual for people and they were in bags literally blocking up my bedroom :pac:

Popped a few painkillers and got it done :D got all the cards written and addressed too.

Off to get my eyebrows done in preparation for my first Christmas party on Saturday now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,309 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

First Christms card came Today!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

First Christms card came Today!

I haven't even written one single card yet :eek: I better get cracking, overseas ones have to be posted by Thursday!

47491624_2251911395023493_5226044969445228544_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub5-1.fna&oh=7f634fd0e90d86327ccfd9f25090d117&oe=5CABD901

• Registered Users Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭DenMan

Took my Mam into town today and let her spend a few hours on her own. She did some Christmas shopping and I did a bit myself. Nice and cold in Sligo today and plenty of activity in the town. The lights looked lovely this evening as we were heading back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

pigtail33 wrote: »
    If anyone is around Dublin city centre after dark, I'd recommend wandering down to the Customs House. They have a few Christmassy light projectors shining on it and it looks amazing! It's very well done and definitely has the wow factor.

I can see it from my desk in work, it’s great to look at each evening

467494.jpeg

This is available in some Toymasters!
    47189862_783980341942344_4668837232679845888_n.png.jpg?_nc_cat=107&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub5-1.fna&oh=c7a436897ed75d7b57201e16362f7e4d&oe=5C9FBB7E

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,232 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Is that real Reindeer hay or the fake type?

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Is that real Reindeer hay or the fake type?

It's probably just a bit of Hay in a box!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,232 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

It's probably just a bit of Hay in a box!

Wont bother then ,only the best for my reindeer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭pigtail33

kitten_k wrote: »
    I can see it from my desk in work, it’s great to look at each evening
    I haven't been far enough back from it to see the dome and didn't realise it was a different colour. I'll have to look out for it tomorrow!

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

pigtail33 wrote: »

Noticed it today actually on the train home. It's fab!!! It helped that I was listening to Christmas fm too :D

The GPO is lit up nicely too! Spotted it as I was leaving town :)

Myself and my OH have been running around like headless chickens the last few days and yesterday we ticked loads of important things off our to do list. To celebrate we decided to open a box of quality street (sure feck it it's Christmas!) Anyway, I was in kitchen just now and was trying to sneakily have another one when I hear a shout from the other room to bring him some. Told him I thought I was being sneaky and he said "it was like walking through the woods in autumn.. rustle rustle rustle :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Daisy78

I'm back from Bruges. Christmas markets were lovely. Popped into Kathe Wolfhart too for some extra bits and bobs. Spent ridiculous money on stuff for the house, my bag (and handbag!) was full to the brim with baubles, all of which survived the journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

Louchc love the tree, I have the same Tip Crystal tree ornament. Must be an Irish staple. How have I only heard of Kathe Wolfhart now!

Really panicking over pressies now. No i-flippingdea what to get people.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

Jeepers Jude, I.m d same....Was away for the weekend....was a really nice time away...lots of catching up done... but only 1 present
    got...I.m starting to panic a bit when I see some boardsies post that they have presents all done, and wrapped....!!!

Outside lights up, big tree up in living room. small tree half up in other room...Thats the problem with having loads of decorations...it
    takes ages to put up......
    I know I.l get there, I always do....

I bought yougurt yesterday and it had 28th of Dec on as BBF.....BahHumBug......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Same here Jude, Ive literally just sent my mam and sister a mail telling them that they need to let me know what they want for Christmas today or they are getting socks! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 15,353 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Really nice big Christmas tree up and lights on in Heuston this morning :)

There seems to be no end to the pressies this year.
    After taking Monday off to get the 'last of it' have just gotten an email from herself listing the 'last few bits to get' ... just like to point out we started the Christmas shopping in September!!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

We've scaled back on gifts big time and it's great.

I buy: gift for each of my 2 godchildren, gift for partner, chip in for a gift with my siblings for parents.

Partner buys: Santa shopping, (I do the food shop) one god child, one sibling Kris Kringle, and something for his parents.

We've restricted gifts for our son to one present from either set of grandparents, one from godparents apeice, he'll get one from his parents, then Santa will bring him his main present, a surprise and a stocking. And that's loads!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

We have done the same, no presents between siblings and just for my brothers kids. My brother is saving for a home and we are abroad this year so we'll get each other something nice next year. Pints usually.

My OH family are a different mater.

My main panic is that I know my OH is really thoughtful and remembers things so my present will be a surprise to me. It took her only a few guesses to find out what I got her, even though I denied it but she can read me Im sure.

Funny thing is we're the same, no presents for siblings. We get pressies for our nieces & nephews & our own parents, one another & our own kids... but for some reason this year extra people have made it on to the list or what we'd initially gotten people wasnt deemed anough so more was added...:confused: either way I'm getting a tad frustrated at this never ending list! Definitely nipping this in the bud ASAP.

My family still very much likes receiving gifts (and giving them!), so my list this year was -

Mam
    Dad
    3 siblings
    Friend
    Friend's sister
    Friend's two children
    Sibling's partner
    Grandmother
    Godmother
    One uncle
    One cousin
    6 child cousins

I forgot my siblings partner so I've to fly around and get his feckin present this week :pac:

We make a little bit of an effort amaongst siblings/etc. The amountwould be reasonable(But nothing expensive either) but we try to avoid very standard gift sets.
    There are no neices/nephews.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

We've nipped things in the bud also. It's not necessarily the money. Another factor us that all the adults I know have the few bib to buy what they like and nobody needs anything anymore

• Advertisement

I've 21 gifts to buy. Im about halfway through them and that's excellent for me. Normally I'd only be starting now. Hopefully by Monday that'll be halved again! Ideally I want all gifts done and dusted by 15th.

Edited to add: that's 21 people to buy for. Some of them get more than one thing. Like my gran aunt is very elderly and she's blind so Ive gotten her a few small things like lovely scented soaps for the sensory experience and a few other bits like that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement