Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Travellers have a right to a home that is culturally appropriate'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

I assume those posters defending Travellers would have absolutely no qualms about a Halting Site being built right next door to where they live?

I doubt they would notice. Too busy cooking and cleaning for all the refugees they have taken in.

I assume those posters defending Travellers would have absolutely no qualms about a Halting Site being built right next door to where they live?

That's an old one that has no basis in logic. When did "the ideal neighbour" become the yardstick for applying human rights?

I wouldn't want to live in Pretoria or on a Reservation, all that filth and squalor...but I wouldn't measure the human rights that should be doled out to those who do on that basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭fmpisces

http://www.thejournal.ie/readme/carrowbrowne-of-all-the-land-the-council-had-they-gave-us-the-place-beside-the-dump-3710147-Nov2017/

Not really sure what I think about that. How do you define whats culturally appropriate? On the other hand its not on that their sites are so awful, who's responsible for that though?

And then you get the other side of it where a house is allocated to a traveller family and they abuse it and the rules of their tenancy. I know all to well because the council moved in such a family beside me three years ago. Their youngest child, about 5 years old I'd say, pees and poops outside on the path/road at will. Rubbish is not disposed of the way it's meant to be. Then they go and move in relatives staying in a caravan in their driveway. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

That's an old one that has no basis in logic. When did "the ideal neighbour" become the yardstick for applying human rights?

I wouldn't want to live in Pretoria or on a Reservation, all that filth and squalor...but I wouldn't measure the human rights that should be doled out to those who do on that basis.

You are obsfucating.

And if in applying the yardstick of basic human rights the council in the area you live in decided that they were going to build a halting site 100 m down the road from your house/apartment, would you mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

You are obsfucating.

And if in applying the yardstick of basic human rights the council in the area you live in decided that they were going to build a halting site 100 m down the road from your house/apartment, would you mind?

He would be handing out business cards on their arrival

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Just like decent health care, clean water, safety in our homes. We all have human rights in Ireland but that doesn't mean that we get them.

Of course we do. Ireland has a lot of problems, but it's hardly a third world country.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

How come you and eotr keep cherry picking which posts to reply to?

How come you and eotr keep cherry picking which posts to reply to?

Are you new here? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Of course we do. Ireland has a lot of problems, but it's hardly a third world country.

If we stop pandering to sections of our society that don't deserve it, we could address some of those problems

If we stop pandering to sections of our society that don't deserve it, we could address some of those problems

Who are the sections of society that don't deserve it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,443 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Well if the rest of us did like the pavees and let our rubbish pile up it would be something similar to your average halting site, difference is we pay to have it taken away where as they let it build up until the council clear it for them.

These gobsh1tes from The Council of Europe who think they are so hard done by haven't a clue, Travellers spend their whole life leeching off working people and that will never change.

Yet there seems to be lots of money for weddings and funerals.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 492 ✭✭Gerrup Outta Dat!

A culturally appropriate home? So a run down caravan with a kitchen sink that doubles up as a urinal and a bed big enough for John-Joe and his first cousin?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,031 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Well if the rest of us did like the pavees and let our rubbish pile up it would be something similar to your average halting site, difference is we pay to have it taken away where as they let it build up until the council clear it for them.

well, it seems we don't all pay to have it taken away. or at least, some pay to have it taken away by illegal contractors
    These gobsh1tes from The Council of Europe who think they are so hard done by haven't a clue, Travellers spend their whole life leeching off working people and that will never change.

the council of europe very much have a clue. we were breaching the law and got caught.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

From my experience, travellers just don’t believe in paying for certain services.
    Refuse collection, insurance, VRT among other things.

There’s 2 families living not too far away and they fill their wheelie bins during the week and bring them to the far end of the green to empty and burn the contents.
    They just don’t comprehend that they are doing anything wrong.

Of course when it come to anything they are entitled to they know the game inside out.

well, it seems we don't all pay to have it taken away. or at least, some pay to have it taken away by illegal contractors.

Are you including yourself in this group?

From my experience, travellers just don’t believe in paying for certain services.
    Refuse collection, insurance, VRT among other things.

There’s 2 families living not too far away and they fill their wheelie bins during the week and bring them to the far end of the green to empty and burn the contents.
    They just don’t comprehend that they are doing anything wrong.

Of course when it come to anything they are entitled to they know the game inside out.

Yeah and they all drive around in vehicles that are nearly new, but sure I suppose we could all do that if we didn't have to pay tax, mortgages or rent.

Are you including yourself in this group?

i'm not no .

Yeah and they all drive around in vehicles that are nearly new, but sure I suppose we could all do that if we didn't have to pay tax, mortgages or rent.

Transferred a large wedge to revenue this month myself pity I couldn't have headed down to the local showroom instead

• Registered Users Posts: 6,211 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

take them out of the paid for halting sites and the surrounding rubbish, move them into paid for homes in nice estates, watch the rubbish pile up,estates loose value on properties, they know all this. also, i pass carrowbrowne a good bit.. a good number of pricey vehicles in there all the time,cars id never be able to afford as a ordinary working man.

Who are the sections of society that don't deserve it?

Travellers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Irish Praetorian

One question I never see answered in this threads from the pro-traveller crowd is, how much is the state expected to pay for a 'culturally appropriate' lifestyle? Are the rest of the population in a mugs game for working in order to pay for their rent/mortgage, for their rubbish disposal? Is the state expected to provide the entirety of someone's income just because people purport to be a certain ethnicity?

Moreover, I can't understand where all the defensiveness surrounding traveller issues comes from. It's a fairly regular debate in our societies about how much state largess people should receive, from the elderly in retirement to young families with new children. Yet I struggle to recall the last time a political party so much as broached the issue when it comes to travellers.

Travellers

The money that's been spent on accommodation for Travellers isn't going to vastly improve public services in Ireland by itself.

I do agree, however, that furnishing accommodation for most Travellers appears to be a bit pointless, as said accommodation is often essentially destroyed.

It's a human right for someone to have a roof over their head and that applies to Travellers also, but it's a nonsense that said accommodation has to be "culturally appropriate".

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

One question I never see answered in this threads from the pro-traveller crowd is, how much is the state expected to pay for a 'culturally appropriate' lifestyle?
    Unlimited amounts. They'd get the government to buy them a caravan when they turn 18 if they could!
    Are the rest of the population in a mugs game for working in order to pay for their rent/mortgage, for their rubbish disposal?
    Yes.
    Is the state expected to provide the entirety of someone's income just because people purport to be a certain ethnicity?
    Yes.
    Yet I struggle to recall the last time a political party so much as broached the issue when it comes to travellers.
    I'd assume that they're afraid that the travellers would set up camp outside their house if they did.

One question I never see answered in this threads from the pro-traveller crowd is, how much is the state expected to pay for a 'culturally appropriate' lifestyle? Are the rest of the population in a mugs game for working in order to pay for their rent/mortgage, for their rubbish disposal? Is the state expected to provide the entirety of someone's income just because people purport to be a certain ethnicity?

Moreover, I can't understand where all the defensiveness surrounding traveller issues comes from. It's a fairly regular debate in our societies about how much state largess people should receive, from the elderly in retirement to young families with new children. Yet I struggle to recall the last time a political party so much as broached the issue when it comes to travellers.

If a political party openly got tough on this issue especially in country areas they would not need to worry about getting elected again

The money that's been spent on accommodation for Travellers isn't going to vastly improve public services in Ireland by itself.

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear, I meant that ANY money spent on travellers is not deserved and could be better used elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Everybody has a right to own their own home.

People do not have a right to a free compound, with high walls and multiple homes where only their family members can live in.

They don't want homes, they want free mini estates. What planet are these people on?

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear, I meant that ANY money spent on travellers is not deserved and could be better used elsewhere

Genuinely won't make much of a difference.

Everybody has a right to own their own home.

People do not have a right to a free compound, with high walls and multiple homes where only their family members can live in.

They don't want homes, they want free mini estates. What planet are these people on?

plannet earth, where they won't be getting a free compound, with high walls and multiple homes where only their family members can live in.

the european council + all the relevant laws say such money for travelers is deserved.

Genuinely won't make much of a difference.

If it saw a few children through life enhancing operations it would be worth it. Give our scarce resources to those who deserve them and withdraw them from those taking the plss

• Advertisement

the european council + all the relevant laws say such money for travelers is deserved.

They also say cucumbers should always be straight.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement