Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Travellers have a right to a home that is culturally appropriate'

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

VinLieger wrote: »
    Hardly the settled person fault what the traveler does with the rubbish in that case?

The original poster claiming it was settled peoples fault implied that settled people were literally the ones dumping on the halting sites

Well it is when they know full well what is going to happen with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

One road in an estate near me is a settled site for travellers. You can tell it a mile off by the junk, dirt and litter all over the place. It's totally unfair on the residents in adjacent roads whose properties have no doubt plummeted in price (houses many of them would have bought at already inflated prices during the Celtic Tiger).

There has to be give and take and, if travellers want to take free houses from the state, then they should give back some consideration and respect to the people they live beside.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Well it is when they know full well what is going to happen with it.

The travelers make the offer, get paid for it AND dump it on their own halting sites but its entirely someone else's fault, gotta love that apologist garbage logic

• Registered Users Posts: 29,027 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

The travelers make the offer, get paid for it AND dump it on their own halting sites but its entirely someone else's fault, gotta love that apologist garbage logic

it's not "apologist garbage logic"
    it's accurate fact, on the basis that those using illegal contractors are not stupid and know that it's likely the rubbish will be dumped god knows where.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

I’m familiar with the area so i can summarise the course of events;

1. Dump opens in carrowbrowne

2. Travellers illegally move in beside said dump to steal from the dump

3. Travellers demand halting site beside dump

4. Council buy land and build halting site as requested beside dump

5. Travellers wreck halting site multiple times and make no effort to keep their free accommodation in a respectable state

6. Council repeatedly spends massive massive money repairing / upgrading only for #5 to subsequently reoccur

7. Travellers complain about a. Location (their choice) and b. conditions (their making)

What more can the council do?

FYI, this glorious site reared the men who terrorised that poor old bachelor farmer in Mayo by repeatedly robbing him until the farmer shot one of them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

The same DNA which makes Travellers literally unable to live in a dwelling without wheels, also makes them entirely blameless for their own actions. Council of Europe says so.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

If they card about where they lived then their communities wouldn't look the way they do. Every other sector of society seems to be able to keep their living areas in some manner of cleanliness, at least to the extent that they wouldn't be literally confused for a dump

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

It's not apologist garbage, it doesn't exonerate the travellers who do it, but there is plenty of blame to go around. Just because there is an illegal service offered to you doesnt mean you have to take it and the people who do pay for it know exactly what they are doing

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Thought the caravan was culturally appropriate?
    Not a modern caravan though. A horse-drawn wooden shed on wheels with no heating, a bucket for a toilet and no running water would be culturally appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭granturismo

doylefe wrote: »
    Do they have the right to put horses on open grass areas in cities, not secure the animals in any way so they go wondering down the street into traffic?

Because that's what I'm looking at out the window right now.

No - horses must be kept at a location with an equine premise number.

https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/animalhealthwelfare/animalwelfare/registrationofpremisesanimals/registrationofhorsepremises/

• Advertisement

c_man wrote: »
    The same DNA which makes Travellers literally unable to live in a dwelling without wheels, also makes them entirely blameless for their own actions. Council of Europe says so.

that must be a different council of a different europe on a different plannet, because the council of europe here on earth said nothing of the sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

I’m familiar with the area so i can summarise the course of events;

1. Dump opens in carrowbrowne

2. Travellers illegally move in beside said dump to steal from the dump

3. Travellers demand halting site beside dump

4. Council buy land and build halting site as requested beside dump

5. Travellers wreck halting site multiple times and make no effort to keep their free accommodation in a respectable state

6. Council repeatedly spends massive massive money repairing / upgrading only for #5 to subsequently reoccur

7. Travellers complain about a. Location (their choice) and b. conditions (their making)

What more can the council do?

FYI, this glorious site reared the men who terrorised that poor old bachelor farmer in Mayo by repeatedly robbing him until the farmer shot one of them.

Maybe this is what EOTR is advising the rest of us to do with the old underfunded Gardai lines he comes out with.
    There we were thinking he liked Travellers but in fact his motives are more sinister

• Registered Users Posts: 73,429 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Dunno if this has been raised, but is a caravan not culturally appropriate if you're a traveller? Have I missed something?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,945 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

LoL, good luck with enforcing that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭granturismo

LoL, good luck with enforcing that!

I just posted an answer to a query. Have you tried reporting this scenario to the Dept of Ag and local authority?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

Fcuk em!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

I just posted an answer to a query. Have you tried reporting this scenario to the Dept of Ag and local authority?

I have seen a number of newspaper reports where the council have impounded horses and then you get a pic of a sobbing child with their father giving out about the heartless council taking the child's horse and how it's their culture to have horses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

There is a better way to live as equal citizens.

Funny really when the last thing many Travellers want is to be equal to the rest of us and why would they? I dare say there is no other group in Irish society that drains so much funding while contributing so little.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

They have, like all other Irish citizens, the right to a roof over their head.

That's all.
    What law is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭miece16

i heard the council builds the houses for them, then they gut them out and put the horses in the newly built house meanwhile they continue to live in the caravan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

miece16 wrote: »
    i heard the council builds the houses for them, then they gut them out and put the horses in the newly built house meanwhile they continue to live in the caravan

I heard they have a phobia of stamps and have 4 arses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

I assume those posters defending Travellers would have absolutely no qualms about a Halting Site being built right next door to where they live?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

miece16 wrote: »
    The horse probably keeps it in better condition tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

What law is this?

No law. It's a basic human right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/gardai-seize-cars-jewellery-and-cash-in-11-cab-raids-in-co-kerry-463231.html

yeah poor em, 9 luxo cars few new built houses and no income and 100k in cash beside other stuff,with no arrests made as they have no proof,how these handy hard working community people get away with such crap with no arrests not paying any tax is beyond African standards to make a case is truly amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

There are or should I say were culturally appropriate homes for travellers near where I live. They are small bungalows with a massive space to pull in a caravan.

Only "someone or group" has stripped all the plumbing and salable fittings out of them and removed the roof tiles on numerous occasions, more recently they were all set on fire.

So why does anyone bother trying to help these people?

scamalert wrote: »
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/gardai-seize-cars-jewellery-and-cash-in-11-cab-raids-in-co-kerry-463231.html

yeah poor em, 9 luxo cars few new built houses and no income and 100k in cash beside other stuff,with no arrests made as they have no proof,how these handy hard working community people get away with such crap with no arrests not paying any tax is beyond African standards to make a case is truly amazing.

well at least gardai and the cab caried out raids. better then nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,945 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Crea wrote: »
    I have seen a number of newspaper reports where the council have impounded horses and then you get a pic of a sobbing child with their father giving out about the heartless council taking the child's horse and how it's their culture to have horses.

I come from a dairy farming background, can I keep a cow in the suburbs as it's my culture? Oh I don't have a shed or anything to keep it in...I suppose that waste ground will do. She'll be happy out, roaming around.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I come from a dairy farming background, can I keep a cow in the suburbs as it's my culture? Oh I don't have a shed or anything to keep it in...I suppose that waste ground will do. She'll be happy out, roaming around.

Just wondering, where in the original article did it say that they need to keep a horse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

No law. It's a basic human right.

Just like decent health care, clean water, safety in our homes. We all have human rights in Ireland but that doesn't mean that we get them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement