Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Travellers have a right to a home that is culturally appropriate'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,741 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

It often is the settled community dumping crap there by the way

Bullsh1t, if there was any solid evidence of this pavee point would be throwing it at people from the rooftops

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Of course it is. That is putting the young children at risk of being killed by cars.

Cars toppling on them from the stack of scrapped ones in the halting site ?

Right next to the invisible grease and oil trap ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Of course it is. That is putting the young children at risk of being killed by cars.

OK. ...this is what I was saying?? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Not really sure what I think about that. How do you define whats culturally appropriate? On the other hand its not on that their sites are so awful, who's responsible for that though?

Thought the caravan was culturally appropriate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

Perhaps that **** John Connors (Connor ??) might get a new series of whiny documentaries out of it ???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

I pass by a traveler halting site daily. Its maddening to see beautiful homes destroyed. Those were lovely houses before they moved in. Now there's boarded up windows and part of the wall into the estate has been broken off. They should be ashamed of themselves for destroying a once beautiful estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

It often is the settled community dumping crap at sites by the way

you think a "settled" person would drive into a halting site and start dumping?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

can you back that up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Yeah, you always see loads of "settled" people hanging around halting sites :pac: Nothing unusual there, no siree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭baylah17

Travellers like anybody else have a responsibility to themselves and society.
    There should not be one rule for one and a different rule for everybody else.
    That said I dont buy into tarring all of this group with the same brush.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Perhaps that **** John Connors (Connor ??) might get a new series of whiny documentaries out of it ???

Noone forces yous to watch these?

I think another perspective is interesting though :

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Perhaps only in the most roundabout way - that is, travellers accept payment to "take care" of rubbish and then dump it in and around their halting sites.

Otherwise you're really going to have to provide some evidence that most dumping is not being carried out by the travellers who live there.

There was a halting site across from where I grew up. When it was initially built, there was a little trouble, but then the troublemakers were ousted and it became pretty quiet. Not sparkling clean, but didn't have rubbish dumped everywhere.
    Then a pile of travellers from the UK arrived over and set up camp on the GAA pitches next to the halting site. And within the week there was rubbish piled high.

Are you really claiming that it was the local settled people who suddenly decided to start throwing all their stuff around the camp?

I found a rubbish bag in the bushes across from our house at that time, it was burst open and a bit of paper was sticking out of it. It had my name on it. These travellers had actually stolen the rubbish bags from our bins (dunno, to look for stuff?) and when there was nothing in them, threw them in the bushes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

you think a "settled" person would drive into a halting site and start dumping?

They might drive in... I don't think they would be driving out tho

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

'Travellers have a right to a home that is culturally appropriate'

prison-cell-110421.jpg

Relax, its a joke.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

baylah17 wrote: »
    Travellers like anybody else have a responsibility to themselves and society.
    There should not be one rule for one and a different rule for everybody else.
    That said I dont buy into tarring all of this group with the same brush.

They are not part of our society and do not abide by our laws yet they still get lots of stuff for free from us, and then they bite the hand that feeds them.

You have to admire them for how much they absolutely thoroughly take the p*ss out of our Government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

Noone forces yous to watch these?

I think another perspective is interesting though :

No but I'm forced to pay the licence fee so he can go swanning off to the USA to whine to black people how his lot had it just as bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭baylah17

They are not part of our society .

Well actually they are part of society, and many of them need to recognise the duties and responsibilities that brings

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

2 traveller sites each end of town, the one beside the cemetery the kids usually chuck rocks over the walls at cars or run around the graves wrecking the flowers or whatever. Then their horses are brought down to the ring road & straight across in front of cars over to fields they dont own. Over summer a young lad on a sulky decided to race it along the footpath down towards the ring road at 11.30pm Friday night luckily the horse ran into a post & the young lad with head over tit unto the ground. Gang of travellers, kids & parents ran down to see if the young lad was alright. Dragged the horse around the corner to a field because it had broken its leg. Gardai & vet had to go there next day to put the poor animal down. Not the first to be put down or the last. They even left a horse by the side of the road that died during a sulky race.
    The other one is supposed to be worse
    I left Ireland in 1995 & growing up Travellers were never really a problem since I got back they seem to be causing nothing but problems, what changed?

Why are they getting any type of accommodation for free anyway?

Are you being obtuse?

Or do you genuinely not know that their are Constitutional and statutory obligations in the area?

If you do not know the basics, are you just here to say "travellers are scum"?

• Advertisement

They are not part of our society and do not abide by our laws yet they still get lots of stuff for free from us, and then they bite the hand that feeds them.

You have to admire them for how much they absolutely thoroughly take the p*ss out of our Government.

Again, the matter was all argued before the Council of Europe.

Our Government lost.

Now, possibly no one made your "they deserve to live in s**t" argument, because it's a little lowbrow and you patently don't know the first thing about the law in the area.

Do you think it would have swung it? I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

Are you being obtuse?

Or do you genuinely not know that their are Constitutional and statutory obligations in the area?

But maybe thats the problem that they dont pay for it so they dont care about it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

People are wary of them because they don't integrate into society. If everyone else is abiding by the law and they see "Travellers" aren't, they get annoyed.

Again, the matter was all argued before the Council of Europe.

Our Government lost.

Now, possibly no one made your "they deserve to live in s**t" argument, because it's a little lowbrow and you patently don't know the first thing about the law in the area.

Do you think it would have swung it? I doubt it.

You know I don't really care enough to argue any more, take that as a win for you, if you like. The way they treat their surroundings and themselves for that matter is disgraceful. I'll just carry on with my life but I'm glad I live in central Dublin and will never have these people in my back yard, or anywhere near my parents when they're old for that matter. Preying on the elderly seems to be one of their favourite gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭granturismo

Are you being obtuse?

Can you reference the constitution or identify which statute guarantees a culturally specific accommodation to any group.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,734 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Help!!!! wrote: »
    I left Ireland in 1995 & growing up Travellers were never really a problem since I got back they seem to be causing nothing but problems, what changed?

Society changed. Instead of calling out antisocial behavior for what it is and dealing with it appropriately, everything now has a cause that isn't the individuals fault or responsibility.

Add to that an entitlement culture that came with the boom times, and the influence of the worst of American "culture" on social media (which we Irish seem to absorb like a sponge), and you have a situation where those left who DO call out these things as unacceptable or just nonsense are themselves attacked by their "enlightened" brethren.

Result: an environment where those who don't play by the same rules are given pretty much free reign to do what they like, because there'll always be an apologist to defend them :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

When will the media tell people the real reason for the carrickmines fire last year?

Everyone afraid to speak the truth.

When will the media tell people the real reason for the carrickmines fire last year?

elaborate

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There's a file with the DPP, so the media can't say anything that might jeopardise a future criminal proceeding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,295 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

kylith wrote: »
    I used to live near a site in Co. Dublin. Lovely wee houses were built there. It wasn't long before the pipes were ripped out and sold, along with any lead on the roofs, while the people the houses had been built for continued to live in caravans next to the house. You can't help some people.

You shouldn't help some people

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement