Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Travellers have a right to a home that is culturally appropriate'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

The fire started in a place wires should not have been tapped into if you know what I mean.

# not saying anyone living on the site was responsible.

Probably the settled community did it after they dropped off their rubbish at the site;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Do they have the right to put horses on open grass areas in cities, not secure the animals in any way so they go wondering down the street into traffic?

Because that's what I'm looking at out the window right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

I thought they liked living among rubbish in a dump?
    Sure why do they proceed to turn every area they stop at into a rubbish strewn kip if they don’t like it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

you think a "settled" person would drive into a halting site and start dumping?

They pay the travellers first and then dump, or the traveller takrs it away for them, it's well known I thought?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

They pay the travellers first and then dump, or the traveller takrs it away for them, it's well known I thought?

Hardly the settled person fault what the traveler does with the rubbish in that case?

The original poster claiming it was settled peoples fault implied that settled people were literally the ones dumping on the halting sites

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,804 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

VinLieger wrote: »
    Hardly the settled person fault what the traveler does with the rubbish in that case?

The original poster claiming it was settled peoples fault implied that settled people were literally the ones dumping on the halting sites

You do know it's illegal to dispose of waste to someonw who's not got a waste license, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,027 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

People are wary of them because they don't integrate into society. If everyone else is abiding by the law and they see "Travellers" aren't, they get annoyed.

the thing is, everyone else isn't abiding by the law. most people do, but there are a good number across many different communities who don't.
    doylefe wrote: »
    Do they have the right to put horses on open grass areas in cities, not secure the animals in any way so they go wondering down the street into traffic?

Because that's what I'm looking at out the window right now.

they don't have the right to do that no . you need to alert the council, gardai, and DSPCA.

under the law it is still the settled person's fault, as you are supposed to use a licenced contractor to dispose of your rubbish. if rubbish is found dumped and the authorities find anything with your name on it, you will be the one fined.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

The last thing any traveller would want is a permanent, contactable, traceable address.

You do know it's illegal to dispose of waste to someonw who's not got a waste license, right?

Yes but again is it the settled person fault what the travelers do with the rubbish as was implied in the original post complaining it is settled peoples fault?

Are travelers not at fault for being part of an illegal dumping operation too?

Also im surprised it took this long for EOTR to see the bat signal about a traveler post in AH expect "travelers can do no wrong" multi quotes resplies from here on out

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

It often is the settled community dumping crap at sites by the way

Absolute bullshít.
    I would be willing to bet there is not a single case of this actually happening, ever.

• Advertisement

the thing is, everyone else isn't abiding by the law. most people do, but there are a good number across many different communities who don't.

I dont think anyones disputing that but we dont hear of any other community that doesn't abide by the law blaming everyone else for their own failings

Borderfox wrote: »
    'Travellers have a right to a home that is culturally appropriate'

They also have the right to pay for it too, same as the rest of us

the "rest of us" don't all pay in full for their homes. plenty in the settled community receive subsidized accommodation.
    What's the point in even talking about these people any more. The Government and Garda are scared sh*tless of them. Let's just keep giving them even more money and facilities and allow them to continue living as outlaws. Life is too short to think about these things, things that will never change.

the gardai are not scared of travelers, but are under-funded and under-resourced.
    Yes but again is it the settled person fault what the travelers do with the rubbish as was implied in the original post complaining it is settled peoples fault?

it's their fault for not using a licenced contractor as legally obliged, yes.
    Are travelers not at fault for being part of an illegal dumping operation too?

they are yes, and the law is there to deal with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

under the law it is still the settled person's fault
    Under law they're both at fault - both the illegal contractor and the person who contracted them.

Nevertheless, the travellers choose to dump the rubbish at their site. If they didn't operate this "service" there would be no rubbish. So the reason it's there is because they put it there.

seamus wrote: »
    Under law they're both at fault - both the illegal contractor and the person who contracted them.

well considering it goes without saying that the illegal contractor has blame, there was no point in me stating the obvious. so you have agreed with what was said, rather then corrected anything, so therefore wasted typing time.
    seamus wrote: »
    Nevertheless, the travellers choose to dump the rubbish at their site. If they didn't operate this "service" there would be no rubbish. So the reason it's there is because they put it there.

and because someone availed of their services, hence the person availing of their services will also receive sanction from the authorities.

the "rest of us" don't all pay in full for their homes. plenty in the settled community receive subsidized accommodation.

the gardai are not scared of travelers, but are under-funded and under-resourced.

At least the " rest of us " pay a certain amount & if you dont pay you go to court

You like rolling out the same old lines. The Gardai are scared of them & people like yourself who will cry about mistreating Travellers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Fcuk them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

LOL

Help!!!! wrote: »
    At least the " rest of us " pay a certain amount & if you dont pay you go to court

You like rolling out the same old lines. The Gardai are scared of them & people like yourself who will cry about mistreating Travellers

travelers i believe are supposed to pay rent toards the site, all though that may depend on the individual council. if the council won't enforce that then nothing we can do.
    LOL

the gardai being under-funded and under-resourced is no laughing matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Start housing them in places like Foxrock and Ballsbridge and watch how the establishments attitude changes towards them changes. There will be dawn raids on the sites to beat the band.

travelers i believe are supposed to pay rent toards the site, all though that may depend on the individual council. if the council won't enforce that then nothing we can do.

Councils are scared of being called "racists " or " Bigots " if you cant see that it is the same with the Gardai then theres no hope for you

If certains members of the community didn't think it was ok to go unto other peoples property to steal then the Gardai wouldn't be under resourced

• Advertisement

I love how its the gardai being underfunded that makes travelers commit crimes

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    Start housing them in places like Foxrock and Ballsbridge and watch how the establishments attitude changes towards them changes. There will be dawn raids on the sites to beat the band.

Heard John Connors on radio once complaining that halting sites are always on the out skirts of towns & never in the centre. I'm sure it never occurred to him that towns dont want animals running freely around never mind the kids

It just encourages them;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,760 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Heard John Connors on radio once complaining that halting sites are always on the out skirts of towns & never in the centre. I'm sure it never occurred to him that towns dont want animals running freely around never mind the kids

There's also the point that land in town centres is usually the most valuable and generally restricted in terms of parking etc

But sure, why not give it to them anyway! :rolleyes:

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    There's also the point that land in town centres is usually the most valuable and generally restricted in terms of parking etc

"Yeah that'll learn those rich people, it wont fix any real problems but it'll really piss em off, how dare they have more money then me"

Councils are scared of being called "racists " or " Bigots " if you cant see that it is the same with the Gardai then theres no hope for you

if they have evidence to enforce the law, then no amount of being called racist or bigot will make a difference. so your talking nonsense.
    If certains members of the community didn't think it was ok to go unto other peoples property to steal then the Gardai wouldn't be under resourced

if nobody broke the law then of course the gardai wouldn't be under-resourced. but guess what, people break the law and the gardai are under-funded and under-resourced to deal with it.

is it? that's news to me. i thought the gardai being under-funded and under-resourced was the reason they cannot enforce the laws to the standard we would like.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

Yeah, why have a public park when it could be a halting site. Parked caravans up along the main street, at least they would cover up the empty shops in most towns though

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Saw you using the under-funded and under-resourced excuse in another thread over the last couple of days. There was a group who possibly felt the same as you did EOTR and went and did something about it. They gathered evidence, called the police and handed it all over to the authorities. Amazing right?

How about we get some volunteers to help lighten the load and to assist Gardai with some undesirable elements here too? Not saying go hands on but ya'know, a bit of help from concerned community members.
    Wouldn't that be great? Or do you like having the "police haven't enough personnel and time excuse to hand" each time?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

You're right. I might start up a group of concerned citizens and give them a hand. Don't worry, we'll give all evidence over to Gardai and we won't harm anyone physically. I guarantee you it won't be for Facebook likes either. That all okay with you sir/ma'am?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

They have, like all other Irish citizens, the right to a roof over their head.

That's all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement