Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

‪Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread IX: The Last Jordi [****]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

The only positions I think we're weak in is 9 and centre.

Isa likely to retire, despite playing at such a high standard he seems to be struggling to keep the standard up for 80. Unless he's kept on the books to use in case of emergencies during international windows then I think he'll retire at the end of the season. Would love to see him stick it out as a coach here tho.

So if he hangs up the boots then we have Henshaw and Ringrose as first choice, if they go missing with Ireland or with injury then we're in a tight spot with ROL and Reid, both decent players but not up to the standard required imo...

Do we sign someone else, or look to promote within? Maybe move Larmour to 13?

At 9 we've an issue where JGP is still on the books for another year, and can't be played with Lowe and Fardy... So signing someone is out of the question, especially NIQ.

Tricky situations there, will be interesting to see how we manage.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,613 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I'd like to see ROL back on the wing. I know we've been stretched for options at 13 but he's definitely played a lot better out wide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

.ak wrote: »
    The only positions I think we're weak in is 9 and centre.

Isa likely to retire, despite playing at such a high standard he seems to be struggling to keep the standard up for 80. Unless he's kept on the books to use in case of emergencies during international windows then I think he'll retire at the end of the season. Would love to see him stick it out as a coach here tho.

So if he hangs up the boots then we have Henshaw and Ringrose as first choice, if they go missing with Ireland or with injury then we're in a tight spot with ROL and Reid, both decent players but not up to the standard required imo...

Do we sign someone else, or look to promote within? Maybe move Larmour to 13?

At 9 we've an issue where JGP is still on the books for another year, and can't be played with Lowe and Fardy... So signing someone is out of the question, especially NIQ.

Tricky situations there, will be interesting to see how we manage.

I said it here already, sign Aki :D

After all the work put into JGP I am not sure they will let him go, he is qualified soon for Ireland isnt he? any project playr would be 5 years so not many of them around.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

JGP is not good enough for international rugby.
    Frawley is an option at 12. Jimmy O Brien and Gavin Mullin options at 13. I'd put ROL on the wing also. Conor O Brien maybe another option, but hasn't seemed to make an impression.

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Frawley is an option at 12. Jimmy O Brien and Gavin Mullin options at 13. I'd put ROL on the wing also. Conor O Brien maybe another option, but hasn't seemed to make an impression.

He isn't playing international. Majority of the games he is playing is Pro 14

• Advertisement

Dubinusa wrote: »

Unfortunately I just don’t see any of the names above feature at European level, atleast not in the next season or two.

Having said that who knew Larmour would be one of our star players this season this time last year?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Unfortunately I just don’t see any of the names above feature at European level, atleast not in the next season or two.

Having said that who knew Larmour would be one of our star players this season this time last year?

I'm fairly sure the Larmour hype train was in full swing among a certain section of Leinster Dan's this time last year but I don't know how to search by date on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Who knew that Byrne could run the backline against Montpellier away and most of the Exeter game.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I'm fairly sure the Larmour hype train was in full swing among a certain section of Leinster Dan's this time last year but I don't know how to search by date on here.

Someone inspired the ire of many posters on here by merely suggesting that Fardy and Ryan might be Leinster's best 2nd row partnership, earlier this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I think Frawley is going to take a much more significant role next season and we'll see him feature regularly in the league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

But, there are midfield options in the academy. Not to say they'll be world class, but 1 or 2 of them could do the job as back ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,240 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Just seen this.

Danleavyseye is now on Twitter

https://twitter.com/DanLeavysEye/status/980890825147191296?s=19

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Just seen this.

Danleavyseye is now on Twitter

https://twitter.com/DanLeavysEye/status/980890825147191296?s=19

Follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Who knew that Byrne could run the backline against Montpellier away and most of the Exeter game.
    Yeah I think frawley will make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Also, I think Rob Kearney can be put in the hall of fame of Irish rugby at this point.

Hmm, having won 3 HCs, two grandslams, a few celtic leagues and also managed a Lions cap here or there I'm fairly sure he has already since earned that spot :pac:

• Subscribers Posts: 41,227 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Sangre wrote: »
    Hmm, having won 3 HCs, two grandslams, a few celtic leagues and also managed a Lions cap here or there I'm fairly sure he has already since earned that spot :pac:

the only player in the history of irish rugby to play in every game in 2 grand slams.

also played in every game of our last four 6 nations wins (2018, 2015, 2014, 2009)

yeah i think he might just scrape in :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

What a fantastic game. Seriously mature performance.

Sarries really didn't fire a shot. Their backline made it very easy for Ringrose and Nacewa to defend and their bish bosh approach made it even easier for the pack.

Also I have to give a shout out to Venjur for the prediction. After Leinster scored 17 unanswered points in the second half, Sarries eeked out a try on 65 which game some respectability to the scoreline. But ultimately, the game as a contest was over when Lowe dotted down on 57 minutes.
    We won't be, they'll be chasing a try in the last quarter to give some respectability to the score but the contest will be over before 50 minutes.

And equally, a shout out to MD14 for his response to Venjurs bold prediction.
    MDunne14 wrote: »
    Delusional

Can't beat some good hindsight to silence the naysayers ha

Luke McGrath is being assessed for an ankle knock. Big worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Sarries really didn't fire a shot. Their backline made it very easy for Ringrose and Nacewa to defend and their bish bosh approach made it even easier for the pack.

Also I have to give a shout out to Venjur for the prediction. After Leinster scored 17 unanswered points in the second half, Sarries eeked out a try on 65 which game some respectability to the scoreline. But ultimately, the game as a contest was over when Lowe dotted down on 57 minutes.

Same poster who claimed Leavy is over rated and isn’t good enough for top level rugby.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It's a double whammy cause it means both McGrath and Lowe dropping out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

stephen_n wrote: »
    Same poster who claimed Leavy is over rated and isn’t good enough for top level rugby.

Haven't seen them since :pac:

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

stephen_n wrote: »

Where??

Well atleast he doesn’t need to play until the 20th...

Well atleast he doesn’t need to play until the 20th...

Yeah, but he NEEDS to play on the 20th!

While I think we'll certainly be favourites either way, I'd be particularly worried about Scarlets if McGrath or Sexton don't play. Wrap em both up and put them with the fine china.

Faugheen wrote: »
    Where??

Back before the 6N started.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Podge_irl wrote: »
    It's a double whammy cause it means both McGrath and Lowe dropping out.

Might make more sense to leave out Fardy instead of Lowe should that happen. We're deeper in the backrow than in the backs given there's a couple of injuries there already.

I think you might have missed the first half :p

Saracens pushed Leinster all the way in the first half and really could have gone in ahead except for a great bit of defence right on the 40th minute.

In the second half they started to look tried. Why Mako was on till the 70+ minute was very very confusing.

It was incredible game and Leinster deserved the win.....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,835 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Fardy and Lowe can't be left out of the 23. They've both vital to any success Leinster aspire to achieve.

Fardy is our best second row and Lowe our most dangerous outside back..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

sydthebeat wrote: »
    the only player in the history of irish rugby to play in every game in 2 grand slams.

In the modern era, it is only Kearney and three welsh lads (Henson, Shane Williams and Martyn Williams) that managed that. Much shorter gap for those two slams.

• Advertisement

Clegg wrote: »
    Fardy and Lowe can't be left out of the 23. They've both vital to any success Leinster aspire to achieve.

Fardy is our best second row and Lowe our most dangerous outside back..

Are you suggesting we should start a European semi final with Nick McCarthy and Charlie Rock on the bench?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement