Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

‪Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread IX: The Last Jordi [****]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭Granny15

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Really is a toxic group we got.

Montpellier second in the Top14, were top until losing to second placed La Rochelle away at the weekend.

Glasgow breaking league records with their start.

Exeter 9 points clear at the top of the premiership.

Must be close to the hardest group in the history of the competition when you put ourselves in it too

Agreed........I think Exeter are a VERY GOOD unit. Possibly too good for us at this stage even though we got to Euro Semi last season.

We faded in the semis of both our tournaments last season and I don't think we have improved upon those team selections from last season.

Maybe Larmour will be the missing piece to European glory but I think its a couple of seasons too soon for him and us.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭THFC198

Granny15 wrote: »
    We faded in the semis of both our tournaments last season and I don't think we have improved upon those team selections from last season.

surely the likes of Ryan, Lowe, Fardy are big additions to the side?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Really is a toxic group we got.

Montpellier second in the Top14, were top until losing to second placed La Rochelle away at the weekend.

Glasgow breaking league records with their start.

Exeter 9 points clear at the top of the premiership.

Must be close to the hardest group in the history of the competition when you put ourselves in it too

It had the fewest combined domestic losses of any group ever at the start of the competition. I can't imagine any group had fewer at this stage either. 8 domestic losses total from 42 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭Granny15

THFC198 wrote: »
    surely the likes of Ryan, Lowe, Fardy are big additions to the side?

Yes I think Ryan has been a good addition but a few seasons too soon for him at this stage.

Lowe looks good but perhaps lacks top end acceleration for Euro winger. Looks good though.

Fardy - now this lad has indeed been the addition we were looking for up front. He has surpassed expectations at this early stage.

At the end of the day it will come down to how Johnny performs I think he's that influential on our results.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Yes I think Ryan has been a good addition but a few seasons too soon for him at this stage.

Lowe looks good but perhaps lacks top end acceleration for Euro winger. Looks good though.

Fardy - now this lad has indeed been the addition we were looking for up front. He has surpassed expectations at this early stage.

At the end of the day it will come down to how Johnny performs I think he's that influential on our results.

Undoubtedly. But he has been good so far this season. We have an international class pack, a world class 10 and a predominantly international class back row. At club level that's pretty good in fairness. There are very few teams that could live with us and I think we're actually building nicely this season. The time to peak is around April/May, which is easy to say having done the polar opposite last season and crashed around April/May. I'd rather see us building nicely now tbh, which I think we are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭THFC198

I don't think we have improved upon those team selections from last season.

I'd also say that our '2nd' team has been improved if thats possible. theres very few places where we could be exposed with an injury or two. Obviously losing a world class player like sexton/o'brien is a big blow but this season I've really started to believe that their replacements can do a damn good job for us

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭irishfan9

James Ryan trained today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Fancy Leinster to win on Sunday. Always seem to kick it up a notch for this particular fixture.

Not being an expert in the history of Leinster European cup fixtures through the years, have these 2 sides ever met before? My understanding is Exeter were historically pretty crap, but came good in the last couple of seasons? Or am I way off the mark?

Looking forward to these fixtures: surely Lowe will be registered, seems silly to chase a foreign signing, then relegate him to Pro 14 appearances.

I really like the look of that lad Larmour - can he also play 14?? Based on what I saw of Rob Kearney in autumn, I'd have him at 15, Lowe at 11, and then there are lots of options which you all know better than me with various degrees of experience, but jeepers Larmour looks potentially something special. The only option I would be dead set against is the likes of Fergus McFadden at 14 - that would be not showing much ambition.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Not being an expert in the history of Leinster European cup fixtures through the years, have these 2 sides ever met before? My understanding is Exeter were historically pretty crap, but came good in the last couple of seasons? Or am I way off the mark?

Looking forward to these fixtures: surely Lowe will be registered, seems silly to chase a foreign signing, then relegate him to Pro 14 appearances.

I really like the look of that lad Larmour - can he also play 14?? Based on what I saw of Rob Kearney in autumn, I'd have him at 15, Lowe at 11, and then there are lots of options which you all know better than me with various degrees of experience, but jeepers Larmour looks potentially something special. The only option I would be dead set against is the likes of Fergus McFadden at 14 - that would be not showing much ambition.
    They played each other in group stage in heineken cup 5 years ago.
    Exeter traditionally would have been national league side, only getting up to national 1 level(2 levels below premiership) about 20 years ago and are in premiership 7 or 8 years

Id be surprised and extremely disappointed if Lowe wasn't registered for Europe.

Exeter and Leinster have European cup history but not on the level playing field they have now.

I expect Exeter to be favourites to win the fixture this weekend, I expect Leinster to be favourites to win the tournament after this weekend.

#colourstothemast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Paddy P has Exeter as 2 point favourites for the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,315 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Paddy P has Exeter as 2 point favourites for the weekend.
    I would have thought they were worth more than that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

He meant this fixture as in the Christmas back to back. Leinster always seem to do something special for it.

Armour can play on either wing. You have Jordan Larmour ahead of Leinster veteran Fergus mc fadden and Irish internationals from the Autumn Adam Byrne and Dave Kearney for a wing slot? You may be right.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,034 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Anything to be said for moving Fardy to 6 and going with three locks to help counter their lineout maul?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Reckon we'll see:

Kearney
    Byrne
    Ringrose
    Isa
    Lowe
    Sexton
    McGrath
    SOB
    VDF
    Ruddock
    Fardy
    Toner
    Furlong
    Tracey
    Healy

Cronin, McGrath, Bent, Ryan, Conan, JGP, Byrne, McFadden

Some unlucky not to make it there, Leavy, Murphy, Porter, Maloney, ROL, D. Kearney etc

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Delete that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Armour can play on either wing. You have Jordan Larmour ahead of Leinster veteran Fergus mc fadden and Irish internationals from the Autumn Adam Byrne and Dave Kearney for a wing slot? You may be right.

Ah, it's risky. And Byrne and Kearney are good options (McFadden just no).

But NZ played 20 year old Rieko Ioane this season, and it went grand.

And closer to home, Ulster & Ireland played 21 year old Jacob Stockdale, and it's going fine too.

As for Lowe, he's fresh to Leinster, but he's pretty experienced.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Anything to be said for moving Fardy to 6 and going with three locks to help counter their lineout maul?

No

Thornley reporting Jordi Murphy leaving for Ulster

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Wexfordboy89

irishfan9 wrote: »

Replacement for coetzee im guessing ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mogwai81

irishfan9 wrote: »

I’d like to see that happen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I'd be sad to see Murphy leave but it's a great move for him and for Ulster.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It has to happen, there are just too many back rows at Leinster for them all to be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,966 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

It has to happen, there are just too many back rows at Leinster for them all to be happy.

Let's hope there isn't a hard border.

Let's hope there isn't a hard border.
    Can the DUP block this move too? :D

Id be surprised and extremely disappointed if Lowe wasn't registered for Europe.
    It was confirmed yesterday that Lowe was being added to the CC squad today.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Murphy is obviously not going to Ulster. Awec promised us that it's literally impossible for an Irish person to leave his province for Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Ulster future backrow of Jones Murphy and Timoney has a very dublin feel to it

Speaking of ex-Leinster back rows, I don't know if it's been mentioned before, but Dom Ryan is on an enforced twelve week break after repeated concussions. All going well, he should be back in January. Hope it works out for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,236 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Murphy is obviously not going to Ulster. Awec promised us that it's literally impossible for an Irish person to leave his province for Ulster.

Timoney, Jones, Cooney, Moore, Jordi.

Ulster away strip next season has to be blue.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement