Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

‪Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread IX: The Last Jordi [****]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Who's Jones?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭irishfan9

Who's Jones?

Greg Jones.. leinster u18, u19 and u20 backrow who went to st andrews but didnt get an academy deal

• Administrators Posts: 53,556 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Murphy is obviously not going to Ulster. Awec promised us that it's literally impossible for an Irish person to leave his province for Ulster.
    No I didnt. I said it hadn’t happened in the past and was much rarer than moved between the other three.

Which was true then and is still true now.

Nice sound bite though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

irishfan9 wrote: »
    Greg Jones.. leinster u18, u19 and u20 backrow who went to st andrews but didnt get an academy deal
    Yeah, I don't think we can colour Jones or Timoney completely blue, since they never had senior contracts. And Moore and Cooney got a bit diluted by stopping off on the way to Ulster.

So Jordi's the first direct transfer really. Bloody good one too.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Yeah, I don't think we can colour Jones or Timoney completely blue, since they never had senior contracts. And Moore and Cooney got a bit diluted by stopping off on the way to Ulster.

Jordi is the first international player I can think of who has made the move north from another province in recent times. Cooney was the first that i can remember who wasn’t a reject at his previous province.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Rodney? :pac:

Rodney? :pac:

Project player :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Murphy is obviously not going to Ulster. Awec promised us that it's literally impossible for an Irish person to leave his province for Ulster.

But he's Catalonian, no? :p

swiwi_ wrote: »
    But he's Catalonian, no? :p
    That's a much more important distinction than you realise. He could almost be mistaken for a Mexican. :D

prawnsambo wrote: »

thats an interesting view... they are all ex-Leinster players in my view

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

awec wrote: »
    No I didnt. I said it hadn’t happened in the past and was much rarer than moved between the other three.

Which was true then and is still true now.

Nice sound bite though :)

In fairness less than 12 months ago you made a pretty big song and dance about how you would be shocked if a pro player like Cooney or Dom Ryan moved to Ulster.
    Do you think ulster haven't spoken to the likes of
    Dom Ryan? You think they haven't spoken to cooney?
    The only Leinster back row player we have any hope of signing is Ryan.

The rest won't leave, that's just not going to happen.
    Sure, but if they promise him a lot of game time and he'd still prefer to move to Munster there's not much they can do. Bit of a reality check for people who think Ulster need to just click their fingers and promise some gametime to get an IQ replacement for Pienaar.

We're going to end up with Marshall and Heaney, wait and see.

You may not have said that it is impossible for a player to move North, but you were still way, waaaay off in your predictions and opinions. Since being utterly convinced that a pro player wouldn't move North we've seen 3 guys do just that. Since being utterly convinced that Cooney wouldn't go up he has. Since being utterly convinced that the best Ulster could hope for is Dom Ryan (and still being skeptical about that) you've gotten an Irish international back row. Maybe the things people were saying back in January weren't as crazy as you thought back then..... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 17,058 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Gibbes must have a few phone numbers that still work!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Awec said it is LITERALLY IMPOSSIBLE so we can all calm down. I won't believe it's true until Murphy changes his name to Wilson.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭THFC198

Much happier to see an Irish player moving to another province than abroad....good to see the IRFU are keeping to their word from earlier this season

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Awec said it is LITERALLY IMPOSSIBLE so we can all calm down. I won't believe it's true until Murphy changes his name to Wilson.

What was Jordi's mum's maiden name?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭THFC198

What was Jordi's mum's maiden name?

Pretty sure I heard it was Wilson

irishfan9 wrote: »
    thats an interesting view... they are all ex-Leinster players in my view
    Yes they are. But the point is that Jordi Murphy is the first direct transfer from the senior squad. I was referencing Burkie's lighthearted post about the Ulster away strip. It wasn't intended to be taken literally.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,946 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Jordi's a quality player so it would be a shame to see him go. But there's a lot of competition for starting places so he's probably 6th choice backrow for Leinster at the moment. Would be a great signing for Ulster.

It doesn't really solve Ulster's problems with regards to ball carriers though. Murphy picks good lines and with his pace he gets over the gain line. He's best put to use after a few phases when Leinster make the initial metres and stretch the defence. But it's the initial phases Ulster have problems with and he isn't a powerful enough carrier to do that. Ulster must have another signing in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

With the departure of Piutau and (potentially) Coetzee they'll have scope for foreign signings. A big, ball playing No. 8 should still be high on the shopping list. If Coetzee can stay fit he's a good fit but that's a big if at this point and Ulster are possibly better off cutting their losses.

A huge amount hinges on the availability of Jackson and Olding also. A big signing may be required in the back line. I posted it earlier this season but, if they lose Olding along with Bowe and Trimble circling the drain, Cave out of contract and Payne's future looking doubtful, they may need to press Ludik into action in the centre and be forced to draft in another back three player.

molloyjh wrote: »
    In fairness less than 12 months ago you made a pretty big song and dance about how you would be shocked if a pro player like Cooney or Dom Ryan moved to Ulster.

You may not have said that it is impossible for a player to move North, but you were still way, waaaay off in your predictions and opinions. Since being utterly convinced that a pro player wouldn't move North we've seen 3 guys do just that. Since being utterly convinced that Cooney wouldn't go up he has. Since being utterly convinced that the best Ulster could hope for is Dom Ryan (and still being skeptical about that) you've gotten an Irish international back row. Maybe the things people were saying back in January weren't as crazy as you thought back then..... :P

I was saying that we do not sign established players from other provinces. I was absolutely correct at the time. Cooney and Murphy are obvious exceptions to that now, but back then that absolutely had not happened.

Suggesting otherwise is disingenuous.

• Advertisement

More nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

We need to hold on to the rest though. If Heaslip doesn't come back, and SOB continues his more green than blue playing career we are down to Conan, VDF, Leavy, Ruddock, Deegan, Doris and Murphy (Josh).

Which is grand, but in reality is reliant on a bit of a potential coming through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Leo Cullen spoke about the number of leinster players outside the province. He was pretty much counting anyone who went to a leinster school or club as a leinster product.

With jordi and Moore going to ulster does anyone have a comprehensive list of all the leinster origin players playing outside the province?
    I'm thinking everyone from copeland to dom Ryan to Jack power/Conor Oliver in academy's elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭blackdog1

errlloyd wrote:
    Which is grand, but in reality is reliant on a bit of a potential coming through.

errlloyd wrote:
    We need to hold on to the rest though. If Heaslip doesn't come back, and SOB continues his more green than blue playing career we are down to Conan, VDF, Leavy, Ruddock, Deegan, Doris and Murphy (Josh).

Murphy is a loss as he is a quality player and people under rate his line out ability. But he's 4th choice 7 and 4th choice 6. Deegan is coming on fast too and Doris looks like another conan in the making. It's a good move for him. I don't expect us to hold on to all of our loose heads either. Dooley is too good for 4th choice.

FrannoFan wrote: »
    Leo Cullen spoke about the number of leinster players outside the province. He was pretty much counting anyone who went to a leinster school or club as a leinster product.

With jordi and Moore going to ulster does anyone have a comprehensive list of all the leinster origin players playing outside the province?
    I'm thinking everyone from copeland to dom Ryan to Jack power/Conor Oliver in academy's elsewhere.

List of current Leinster professional players:

Cian Healy(Leinster/Belvedere)
    Jack McGrath(Leinster/St. Marys)
    Denis Buckley(Connacht/Blackrock)
    Jack O'Connell(Bristol/Clongowes)
    Des Merrey(Hartpury College/Clontarf)
    Ed Byrne(Leinster/Clongowes)
    Peter Dooley(Leinster/Birr)
    Denis Coulson(Connacht/St. Michaels)
    Eric O'Sullivan(Ulster/Templogue)
    Vakh Albazaze(Leinster/Coolmine)
    --
    Jamie Hagan(Béziers/Balbriggan)
    Martin Moore(Wasps/Castleknock)
    Tahdg Furlong(Leinster/New Ross)
    Jeremy Loughman(Leinster/Blackrock)
    Oisin Heffernan(Leinster/Roscrea)
    JP Phelan(Munster/Newbridge)
    Oliver Jager(Crusaders/Blackrock)
    Jack Aungier(Leinster/Suttonians)
    --
    Jason Harris Wright(Bristol/Blackrock)
    James Tracy(Leinster/Newbridge)
    Dave Heffernan(Connacht/Blackrock)
    Shane Delahunt(Connacht/Kilkenny)
    Sean McNulty(Leinster/Rockwell)
    Tadhg McElroy(Saracens/Dundalk)
    Ronan Kelleher(Leinster/St. Michaels)
    --
    Devin Toner(Leinster/Castleknock)
    Mark Flanagan(Saracens/Mullingar)
    Mick Kearney(Leinster/Clontarf)
    Alan O'Connor(Ulster/Skerries)
    Tahdg Beirne(Scarlets/Clongowes)
    Gavin Thornbury(Connacht/Blackrock)
    Jerry Sexton(Jersey/St. Marys)
    Ross Molony(Leinster/St. Michaels)
    James Ryan(Leinster/St. Michaels)
    Oisin Dowling(Leinster/St. Michaels)
    Jack Regan(Ulster/Birr)
    --
    Jamie Heaslip(Leinster/Newbridge)
    Sean O'Brien(Leinster/Tullow)
    Robin Copeland(Munster/Kilkenny)
    Dominic Ryan(Leicester/Gonzaga)
    Rhys Ruddock(Leinster)
    Jordi Murphy(Leinster/Blackrock)
    Danny Kenny(London Scottish/Wicklow)
    Conor Gilsenan(London Irish/Clongowes)
    Jordan Coghlan(Nottingham/Clongowes)
    Jack Conan(Leinster/Gerards)
    Josh Van Der Flier(Leinster/Wesley)
    Eoghan Masterson(Connacht/Portloaise)
    James Connolly(Connacht/Newbridge)
    Dan Leavy(Leinster/St. Michaels)
    Peadar Timmins(Leinster/Clongowes)
    Sean O'Brien(Connacht/Roscrea)
    Josh Murphy(Leinster/St. Michaels)
    Conor Oliver(Munster/Blackrock)
    Nick Timoney(Ulster/Blackrock)
    Harrison Brewer(Counties Manawatu/Terenure)
    Max Deegan(Leinster/St. Michaels)
    Greg Jones(Ulster/St. Andrews)
    Paul Boyle(Connacht/Gorey)
    Caelan Doris(Leinster/Blackrock)
    Sean Masterson(Connacht/Portloaise)
    Patrick Ryan(Northampton/Newbridge)
    --
    John Cooney(Ulster/Gonzaga)
    James Hart(Munster/Belvedere)
    Luke McGrath(Leinster/St. Michaels)
    Dave Shanahan(Ulster/Belvedere)
    Conor McKeon(Connacht/Gonzaga)
    Nick McCarthy(Leinster/St. Michaels)
    Charlie Rock(Leinster/Blackrock)
    Hugh O'Sullivan(Leinster/Belvedere)
    --
    Jonathan Sexton(Leinster/St. Marys)
    Ian Keatley(Munster/Belvedere)
    Ian Madigan(Bristol/Blackrock)
    Ian McKinley(Treviso/)
    AJ McGinty(Sale/Blackrock)
    Cathal Marsh(Leinster/St. Michaels)
    Steve Crosbie(Connacht/Gerards)
    Ross Byrne(Leinster/St. Michaels)
    Joey Carbery(Leinster/Blackrock)
    Ciaran Frawley(Leinster/Skerries)
    Alan Tynan(Munster/Roscrea)
    --
    Rob Kearney(Leinster/Clongowes)
    Fergus McFadden(Leinster/Clongowes)
    Dave Kearney(Leinster/Clongowes)
    Eamonn Sheridan(Carcassonne/Navan)
    Matt Healy(Connacht/Gonzaga)
    Craig Ronaldson(Connacht/Kilkenny)
    Noel Reid(Leinster/St. Michaels)
    Andrew Conway(Munster/Blackrock)
    Brendan Macken(Wasps/Blackrock)
    Niyi Adeolokun(Connacht/De La Salle)
    Peter Lydon(Ealing/Kilkenny)
    Cian Kelleher(Connacht/St. Michaels)
    Rory O'Loughlin(Leinster/St. Michaels)
    Peter Robb(Connacht/Blackrock)
    Tom Farrell(Connacht/Castleknock)
    Adam Byrne(Leinster/Naas)
    Garry Ringrose(Leinster/Blackrock)
    Cormac Brennan(Connacht/Roscrea)
    Conor O'Brien(Leinster/Mullingar)
    Jimmy O'Brien(Leinster/Newbridge)
    Matthew Byrne(Connacht/Terenure)
    Adam Leavy(Connacht/St. Michaels)
    Hugo Keenan(Leinster/Blackrock)
    Terry Kennedy(Leinster/St. Marys)
    Jack Power(Munster/Blackrock)
    Gavin Mullin(Leinster/Blackrock)
    Jack Kelly(Leinster/St. Michaels)
    Tommy O'Brien(Leinster/Blackrock)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

The amount of backrows at Leinster added to the amount listed there is frightening production

A long list but hardly surprising given Leinster's advantages.

I was saying that we do not sign established players from other provinces. I was absolutely correct at the time. Cooney and Murphy are obvious exceptions to that now, but back then that absolutely had not happened.

Suggesting otherwise is disingenuous.

Eh....
    The only Leinster back row player we have any hope of signing is Ryan.

The rest won't leave, that's just not going to happen.
    Bit of a reality check for people who think Ulster need to just click their fingers and promise some gametime to get an IQ replacement for Pienaar.

We're going to end up with Marshall and Heaney, wait and see.

You were saying that it didn't happen, which was correct, and that it was highly unlikely to happen, which it has turned out since is not correct. You were pretty clear about that in the above posts, both of which turned out to be completely untrue. Ulster have actually managed to do something that Munster and Connacht have never been able to do. Attract internationally capped players who are from other provinces.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

molloyjh wrote: »
    Ulster have actually managed to do something that Munster and Connacht have never been able to do. Attract internationally capped players who are from other provinces.

Kieran Lewis says no.

• Advertisement

Buer wrote: »
    Kieran Lewis says no.

I knew you'd correct me on that. For once Buer, leave it go...... :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement