Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

‪Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread IX: The Last Jordi [****]

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,384 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

.ak wrote: »
    Venjur/leakyboots give it up and drop the backseat moderation
    awec wrote: »
    Mod Note

This is the Leinster thread, as so nobody should be surprised when it is overwhelmingly pro-Leinster players. If you don't like that don't read this thread. The message is the same for all other provincial threads, if Leinster fans don't like Munster fans bigging up their own players in the Munster thread then they're welcome not to read it.

Regarding cliques. Everyone and anyone is welcome to post here so long as they are objective. Not liking a certain player is not reason enough to come in and continue to post negatively about them. And on the other hand, someone objectively discussing a particular player is welcome to talk about their concerns without being shot down with witty one-liners or outright dismissed by supporters of that province just because they're a new poster.

If anyone has any questions about this, or concerns about the moderation here feel free to PM any of us.

The moderation here is a well oiled machine. I swears.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

.awek

Like Biarritz and Bayonne

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Larmour looks like an exciting prospect. His footwork is excellent.
    One small concern was the handbags he got involved in last night, hopefully he doesn't always carry that kind of temper!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,710 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Buer wrote: »
    A lot of good possession died in midfield. Most of the good work from our back three came from kicked posession or midfield being cut out.

How would Larmour go in midfield? Might solve two problems....
    He played there in schools but his future is in the back three. Give him open field to run into. Henshaw and Ringrose have the midfield slots nailed down for the next decade anyway.

I'm glad something was said about the situation in this thread. Nothing wrong with a good troll, but discussion was derailed for pages and pages by a small number of posters whose sole purpose was to **** things up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭durthacht

One small concern was the handbags he got involved in last night, hopefully he doesn't always carry that kind of temper!

Quite right. That stuff has no place on the pitch.

But on boards.ie it's practically compulsory... ;):)

Larmour looks like an exciting prospect. His footwork is excellent.

I'd probably respectfully disagree here. I don't think Leinster have near enough dog at times and I quite liked that Larmour, Fardy and JGP were continually in Dragons faces. We probably need someone ultra competitive and a bit cynical in the back 3.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Does anyone know how long Peter Dooley and Cathal Marsh have on their contracts. I honestly feel they are too good to be 4th choice.

Also with the emergency of Barry Daly, Adam Byrne and Jordan Lamour and the arrival of Lowe we have some incredible depth in the back 3.

Dooley is good but I'm not sure Marsh is much cop. Reminds me of Madigan on a bad day.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Dooley might have been an option for Ulster? Van Der Merwe is there next season, I don't know about the others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Dooleys gas when he made that break in the first half was unreal.

Just watched the game there with no commentary and the benefit of having read boards. Larmour was brilliant. Like not just at the end when everyone was tired. The whole way through. Hitting rucks, diving on loose balls. People rightly talk about how good RK is at covering the backfield, Larmour seemed just as good.

Great game. He might actually have a chance of nosing into a training squad if he can stay injury free.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭irishfan9

errlloyd wrote: »

Just watched the game there with no commentary and the benefit of having read boards. Larmour was brilliant. Like not just at the end when everyone was tired. The whole way through. Hitting rucks, diving on loose balls. People rightly talk about how good RK is at covering the backfield, Larmour seemed just as good.

Great game. He might actually have a chance of nosing into a training squad if he can stay injury free.

That was byrne

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭Granny15

Somebody said he was naive positionally but I think he makes up or that with his pace

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

The Dragons back 3 were atrocious positionally. There was so much space to be exploited almost the whole game.

irishfan9 wrote: »
    That was byrne

Ahhh. I had no commentary or ref mic on youtube

Ryan picked up a shoulder knock.

Great player with loads of potential but it really does seem that he picks up a bad knock every game.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Clegg wrote: »
    Ryan picked up a shoulder knock.

Great player with loads of potential but it really does seem that he picks up a bad knock every game.

He's a big guy, and very young. Young locks tend to pick up a lot of injuries, just look at Nagle/Kearney and even Moloney to an extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭typhoony

interesting comment from Cullen on Ross Byrne saying how lucky they are to have him, it sounded like he has put a lot of faith in him and has been rewarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭scott1974

With the AI's done, I think we did ok injury wise apart from Joey. Great to see Rob in such good form.
    Don't think we'll see Johnny till the Exeter game, hopefully Henshaw is just a niggle.
    Getting excited about the back to back games now.

typhoony wrote: »
    interesting comment from Cullen on Ross Byrne saying how lucky they are to have him, it sounded like he has put a lot of faith in him and has been rewarded.

He's our third choice. He's not far off being Irelands third choice either. By the end of the year he might very well have overtaken the Munster out halves. Not only is he third choiced but he's actually experienced, he's played hard games at Leinster and at u20. I like him a lot. We're genuinely blessed to have him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

He's our third choice. He's not far off being Irelands third choice either. By the end of the year he might very well have overtaken the Munster out halves. Not only is he third choiced but he's actually experienced, he's played hard games at Leinster and at u20. I like him a lot. We're genuinely blessed to have him.

Thing is, there's not much evidence that he's our 3rd choice. He could well be our 2nd choice.

Thing is, there's not much evidence that he's our 3rd choice. He could well be our 2nd choice.

Yeah that's fair. It must be frustrating for him, he's pushed Carbs to fullback at every team they've been on together right? And Carbs has beaten the ABs, Australia and started internationals at ten.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,179 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Undoubtedly frustrating, I'm sure. But in terms of development, what Byrne is getting is more beneficial to development than what Carbery has had i.e. prolonged and consistent game time at 10. Carbery might be in the Irish set up and that will benefit his development somewhat but nothing is going to beat game time and Byrne is getting it in spades with 8 starts already this season alone.

I wonder if Schmidt sees Carbery slightly like Madigan in the way that he was a big fan of the flexibility that Madigan gave from the bench and selected him ahead of Jackson despite saying that Jackson would start if Sexton was out.

At this point, I'm leaning towards the notion that Leinster would select Byrne ahead of Carbery in a straight call at 10.

Yeah that's fair. It must be frustrating for him, he's pushed Carbs to fullback at every team they've been on together right? And Carbs has beaten the ABs, Australia and started internationals at ten.
    I think necessity pushed Carbery to 15 rather than Byrne. There was a bit of chopping and changing last season with various injuries to Sexton, Kearney and then Carbery. When it was just Sexton who was injured early last season Joey went straight to 10. Then when Kearney was injured he went to 15 with Sexton back at 10.

Byrne has undoubtedly benefited from continued exposure at 10. Carbery will eventually get that as well though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,098 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Buer wrote: »
    I wonder if Schmidt sees Carbery slightly like Madigan in the way that he was a big fan of the flexibility that Madigan gave from the bench and selected him ahead of Jackson despite saying that Jackson would start if Sexton was out.

At this point, I'm leaning towards the notion that Leinster would select Byrne ahead of Carbery in a straight call at 10.
    I don't think Schmidt sees Carbery as aything other than a ten. He's said as much. Lancaster has said that starting him at 15 is done to get the best players on the pitch. Since Ross Byrne can only play at 10, that means Carbery starts at 15.

It's needs must at the moment for Leinster.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

prawnsambo wrote: »
    I don't think Schmidt sees Carbery as aything other than a ten. He's said as much. Lancaster has said that starting him at 15 is done to get the best players on the pitch. Since Ross Byrne can only play at 10, that means Carbery starts at 15.

It's needs must at the moment for Leinster.
    But when you get this pattern (I know it's way too early to call it that yet) of the player at 10 doing a fine job for months and the other guy being dropped in their and not impressing, how long do you keep that up? How do you keep Ross Byrne motivated if he's essentially being treated as a placeholder?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭The Parish King

We have the makings of an excellent backline going forward. A lot of these guys are young, and you'd hope that they'll only push on in the future. The backline could look something like this in 3/4 years time;

9. Luke McGrath/Hugh O'Sullivan (if he lives up to the hype)
    10. Ross Byrne
    11. Lowe/Byrne
    12. Henshaw
    13. Ringrose
    14. Larmour
    15. Carbery

I appreciate that this is highly hypothetical (and not intended to stoke the Byrne vs Carbery debate...), but based on the potential these lads have shown to date, that looks like an exciting, international class backline.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭Granny15

We have the makings of an excellent backline going forward. A lot of these guys are young, and you'd hope that they'll only push on in the future. The backline could look something like this in 3/4 years time;

9. Luke McGrath/Hugh O'Sullivan (if he lives up to the hype)
    10. Ross Byrne
    11. Lowe/Byrne
    12. Henshaw
    13. Ringrose
    14. Larmour
    15. Carbery

I appreciate that this is highly hypothetical (and not intended to stoke the Byrne vs Carbery debate...), but based on the potential these lads have shown to date, that looks like an exciting, international class backline.

Not quite.... what we could be seeing in the future is something more like:

9. Hugh O Sullivan
    10. Carberry
    11. A Byrne
    12. Henshaw
    13. Ring rose
    14. Lowe
    15. Larmour

Watching the Saracens/Exeter game.

Bit of an obvious statement but Exeter will be very, very difficult to beat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭determinations

Clegg wrote: »
    Watching the Saracens/Exeter game.

Bit of an obvious statement but Exeter will be very, very difficult to beat.

They are so comfortable with the ball, happy to go through 20 30 phases. Our defense will be severely tested.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement